• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

piggychan

Picked this up at a retro game meetup yesterday. One of the most vibrant and colorful Saturn games I've ever seen! I died on Level 3 (I suck) but I'm excited to dig into it more later.

that's also on my "to buy" list. Grats. Hudson Soft sure did some quality stuff on the Saturn right after the pc engine

Celine

Whoa,

I've never seen one without a weird congealed cover insert. Nice pickup! Game is gorgeous too if you love the low-poly aesthetic.
Interestingly, Bulk Slash was made by the team that made Hagane on SNES.
Also Sapphire on PCE and Sky Odyssey on PS2.
Underrated team.

dock

Playing through Panzer Dragoon Saga for the first time in over a decade. I never completed it at the time!

I should really sell my second copy.

Playing through Panzer Dragoon Saga for the first time in over a decade. I never completed it at the time!

no be like this person

Is this cat cornering the market?

MYqPZ87.jpg

Seik

Banned
*Reads last two pages*

:lol

Irish, I gotta agree with you, Saturn wins library-wise.

While the N64 have many very good titles, these are fewer than the Saturn, but are longer though. I think the N64 has more memorable games, in a way that the fewer excellent games on it imply an investment of many, many hours, most of the times. Since most of the better games were collectathons or Zelda. So the time invested in these leaves a deeper, maybe more likeable, footprint in one's memory.

When the Saturn one the other side is more equipped with arcade-perfect port of many, many excellent games and offers a bigger variety of genres. Fighting games, Beat-Em-Ups, Shoot-em-ups, Racing games (though the N64 got plenty, it doesn't have Daytona), RPGs, Action/Adventure games. RPGs aside, These games aren't the most time demanding one on the market from these year. But holy shit did it delivers some legendary gems, as short as they can be.

In no way I'm not liking the N64 though, it's still one of my favorite consoles ever. Irish ain't a hater either as he's an active member in my N64 thread as well since it started. Though I prefer enjoying a quick, awesome arcade experience than 40 hours long one nowadays...except for Xenoblade and a RPG here and there sometimes.

EDIT: Also, it's ok to have some N64 debates/post, why the hell not. Everyone here is pretty much Retro-GAF and it's not like it's derailing the main thread, just enjoy! :D

Coda

*Reads last two pages*

:lol

Irish, I gotta agree with you, Saturn wins library-wise.

While the N64 have many very good titles, these are fewer than the Saturn, but are longer though. I think the N64 has more memorable games, in a way that the fewer excellent games on it imply an investment of many, many hours, most of the times. Since most of the better games were collectathons or Zelda. So the time invested in these leaves a deeper, maybe more likeable, footprint in one's memory.

When the Saturn one the other side is more equipped with arcade-perfect port of many, many excellent games and offers a bigger variety of genres. Fighting games, Beat-Em-Ups, Shoot-em-ups, Racing games (though the N64 got plenty, it doesn't have Daytona), RPGs, Action/Adventure games. RPGs aside, These games aren't the most time demanding one on the market from these year. But holy shit did it delivers some legendary gems, as short as they can be.

In no way I'm not liking the N64 though, it's still one of my favorite consoles ever. Irish ain't a hater either as he's an active member in my N64 thread as well since it started. Though I prefer enjoying a quick, awesome arcade experience than 40 hours long one nowadays...except for Xenoblade and a RPG here and there sometimes.

EDIT: Also, it's ok to have some N64 debates/post, why the hell not. Everyone here is pretty much Retro-GAF and it's not like it's derailing the main thread, just enjoy! :D

I think I can agree with you in many ways. I love the Saturn but I recently sold mine to make way for buying the pcb of Progear because it's my favorite shmup ever. The problem is many of the good shmups on the Saturn are way too pricey now.

But I digress, I think some of N64's gems are more memorable. I own an Japanese N64 for Sin & Punishment and I find it to be one of the most exhilarating games on the system, next to Star Fox 64. Also there's a big soft spot for Mischief Makers and Wave Race 64 as well. Those water physics still impress to this day.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Japanese versions of those Panzer Dragoon games??? I'm guessing they must be cheaper. Great pick ups as well.

Yeah it was like $13 for the original and $10 for Zwei. They're in pretty great condition too and Panzer Dragoon has a dragon poster in the manual holding part.

cj_iwakura

You know what would be awesome? Round-robining it for Saturn owners who never played it, only on the grounds that they pass it along once they're done.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I find just having the games pretty exciting since I honestly never even really seen a Saturn in real life. I'm hoping my white one comes in the mail soon so I can start playing things. (That has DOA and Fighters Megamix packed with it.)

Mzo

I've been wasting so much of my time playing Out Run with a Saturn racing wheel I found at a thrift store. It's missing two suction cups on the bottom but I think I can replace them and, that aside, works flawlessly.

IrishNinja

I've been wasting so much of my time playing Out Run with a Saturn racing wheel I found at a thrift store. It's missing two suction cups on the bottom but I think I can replace them and, that aside, works flawlessly.

haha, was assuming that's what you were up to...think Power Drift would work? you should get some Daytona & Sega Rally in sometime too

Ban Puncher

Can anyone please help me? Where is the best place to buy a Japanese Saturn?

Depending on where you live, the easiest way may be to buy a Saturn locally and use an Action Replay 4MB cart for region free.

If you really want a Japanese white Saturn then you could always check out Hit-Japan on ScumBay.

T-0800

Actually it doesn't need to be a Japanese Saturn. Just don't want a PAL one. Had one of those and I want to play games at 60 not 50.

Is it better to go with an American Saturn?

I'm in Australia.

Valkyria

Banned
Actually it doesn't need to be a Japanese Saturn. Just don't want a PAL one. Had one of those and I want to play games at 60 not 50.

I'm in Australia.

Yo can mode it. I have a pal saturn modded to 60 Hz. I bought like that already but I believe is not too difficult.

Ban Puncher

I'm in Australia.

I'm in Australia too. Easier to get an AUS Saturn, mod for 60Hz and region free.

With a Japanese or American one you'll have to go to Jaycar and buy a stepdown transformer to run it. If you plan on getting more import consoles then it's a worthwhile investment but if not then paying $150 for a 250w stepdown unit is kind of pissing money away.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I was asked in the Dreamcast thread to redo the comparison between the PSX Super Turbo and the Saturn version. I have no capture card or anything so here are some pix I took of my screen.

Saturn:
PSX:

If you look closely you can see that the Saturn version is slightly stretched - see Blanka's feet. I included the sides of the screen so you could see that the portraits are partially cut off in the Saturn version as well.

T-0800

I'm in Australia too. Easier to get an AUS Saturn, mod for 60Hz and region free.

With a Japanese or American one you'll have to go to Jaycar and buy a stepdown transformer to run it. If you plan on getting more import consoles then it's a worthwhile investment but if not then paying $150 for a 250w stepdown unit is kind of pissing money away.

Thanks. Didn't know the step-down was so expensive. The problem is I couldn't mod one myself. No matter how easy it might be.

Ban Puncher

You only need a 40-50W stepdown for the Saturn. Got a 50W one here I bought for ~33 AUD

GO BIG OR GO HOME

I have a 250W one because I plug a Japanese powerboard into it so I can hook up a bunch of consoles at once that have internal PSU (Saturn, Dreamcast, etc) or stupid external PSUs with shitty one-off connections (US SNES) that I can't buy compatible local wall adaptors for.

A smaller one is fine if you plan just to use a Saturn which draws 45W by itself. The 250W stepdown is actually the best value at $150 (again, using Jaycar for reference).

50W - $50
120W - $110
250W - $150
500W - $250*
1000W - $420*

*now these are overkill.

You can get cheaper ones from eBay and whatnot but in my opinion it's not worth potentially watching your expensive console go bang because you wanted to save a couple of bucks.

Jaeger

I was asked in the Dreamcast thread to redo the comparison between the PSX Super Turbo and the Saturn version. I have no capture card or anything so here are some pix I took of my screen.

Saturn:

PSX:

If you look closely you can see that the Saturn version is slightly stretched - see Blanka's feet. I included the sides of the screen so you could see that the portraits are partially cut off in the Saturn version as well.

Thx oneida. That's pretty interesting. Never knew about the screen being stretched on the Saturn version. Sad part is I have to get both anyway. lol

This is an issue with all CPS2 games on Saturn, right? I think A2 and A3 are chubbier than they should be, at least when compared to AA on PS2.

piggychan

Saturn:

PSX:

IIRC I think Capcom offers their saturn arcade ports to has the option to select arcade or saturn screen. Not sure if this is where the image gets stretched.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
missed that since both characters are standing in the same place, the stretching is most obvious when looking at the left and right edges of the background.

this is a pretty minor difference imo and I do prefer playing ST on the Saturn pad, but since the PSX version is cheaper that's the better buy.

IrishNinja

stoopid ebay, just watched konami antique collection go from $30 to just over $50 in the final seconds because bubble, ugh

anyone have a copy they'd wanna sell/trade? i love compilations, even bad ones, as long as it's stuff i didn't get to play before

Mzo

It's cool how it doesn't have MSX Vampire Killer or Metal Gear. Like, who wants THOSE in a Konami fucking MSX collection? Not me!

piggychan

I'm more broken up over no Space Manbow

yea kinda strange why those games were left out.. especially space mambo!

but hey there's..

Parodius
Gradius
Gradius II
Gofer no yabo episode II
Salamander
Twin Bee
Antartic Adventure
penguin adventure

to name a few and they feature the konami SSC music on the ones that support it. Salamander and parodius sound amazing !!!

Prozel

Guys I want to get Saturn controller for my pc. However, I've red these USB ones are mostly garbage but I want to make sure since I obviously want the best controller.

Are there any good USB ones or am I tied adapter + original controller?

Khaz

They're not garbage. The plastics are of less good quality, may feel cheap in the hand and possibly be more prone to break, but they come from the same mould and the electronics and mechanisms are identical. They will react the same.

I would suggest you to get one, because they're not expensive. If you don't like the feel of it and prefer the original one, you can switch the boards and have an original Saturn controller with USB out.

Top Bottom