• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

You have to extend the parts on the shoulder buttons that hit the button contacts if you switch boards. The shoulder buttons are not exactly the same.

Mzo

So, uh, those of you that have put time into it, how do you feel about Burning Rangers?

I just beat it again for a podcast and I know how I feel about it, just wondering how it's regarded around here by people who have played it.

cj_iwakura

So, uh, those of you that have put time into it, how do you feel about Burning Rangers?

I just beat it again for a podcast and I know how I feel about it, just wondering how it's regarded around here by people who have played it.

It's fun, but like most ultra expensive Saturn games, not worth the asking price.

When I bought it(at launch), I loved it.

IrishNinja

i'm totally running through ti this year!

i beat the first level last year, the concept & design is fun but (and maybe cause i was drunk) i found my goals/camera rotation a bit confusing, if not obtuse. i liked a lotta things going on more than i did the gameplay, if that makes sense.

I think its a game with an awesome base idea, great elements, but things that needed tweaking to take it from good to great. Bough it for $70 bucks complete, glad i did that a couple years back, seeing its price now.

Tain

I haven't played through it since I was a kid when it was released. I looooved it then.

I remember it being awfully fun to move around in that game, flying but not quite flying, and I loved the character designs and the music. It was also a total breeze, being as easy as NiGHTS but without the score attack appeal iirc.

I'd like to play through it again one of these days.

Seik

Banned

I thought it was a fun, unique experience.

Though the controls are kind of stiff, sometimes.

lupinko

I just got back from my local game store, I picked up Panzer Azel for ¥1500. I know it's the English version that is worth an arm and a leg but eh. I should try to find all three SFIIIs here.

Jamix012

I know it's not a universally well regarded game, but something about playing the game for the first time last year made me feel like a kid again. I really loved it a lot, in spite of its flaws and short length.

Mzo

I haven't played through it since I was a kid when it was released. I looooved it then.

I remember it being awfully fun to move around in that game, flying but not quite flying, and I loved the character designs and the music. It was also a total breeze, being as easy as NiGHTS but without the score attack appeal iirc.

I'd like to play through it again one of these days.

It definitely has that score attack appeal; it's so short it kind of has to. On top of that it has randomly generated levels that can be replayed through passwords so you can spend the rest of your life mastering new BR levels!

I dunno, I remember the game being alright but playing it now it doesn't seem that good, you guys. I like the concept but the execution seems really lacking in a lot of important ways.

Also I busted out the US Saturn for this one and the boot up sequence plus all the UI sounds are garbage compared to the Japanese system. Why would they change them?

piggychan

I just wished they allowed for some time to just stand and look around. the forced explosion sometimes really annoy to the point where I feel like I'm going to press the open button on the Saturn disc drive.

Apart from that it's pretty cool and I really like the idea of saving people and getting mail from them. I think there is a character that looks like elliot from Nights in the BR game.

Mzo

Yeah, there are special character look-alikes like Elliot, Clarise, Eggman, Opa Opa helmet heads, etc.

I'm having trouble getting over how ugly it is and the bad controls.

Also I busted out the US Saturn for this one and the boot up sequence plus all the UI sounds are garbage compared to the Japanese system. Why would they change them?
Going to have to disagree with this, I actually like how more subdued the Western Saturn UI sounds are.

Galdelico

Hey guys, that's probably one question that's already been asked and answered, but I couldn't find anything about it.

Is there anyone using the white Action Replay 4M Plus as an adapter to play US games on a Japanese (white) Saturn? Does this bring down any potential issue to the console/laser mechanism? I'm a total tech-noob, sorry in advance. :)

piggychan

Hey guys, that's probably one question that's already been asked and answered, but I couldn't find anything about it.

Is there anyone using the white Action Replay 4M Plus as an adapter to play US games on a Japanese (white) Saturn? Does this bring down any potential issue to the console/laser mechanism? I'm a total tech-noob, sorry in advance. :)

I've never encountered any problem with it and been using this set up for years but you have to realize there is still a mechanism that spins and reads CDs so it's gonna wear out anyway over time and since you are probably going to buy something that's already used.... But there should be people around who will provide repairs for this kind of stuff.

Galdelico

I've never encountered any problem with it and been using this set up for years but you have to realize there is still a mechanism that spins and reads CDs so it's gonna wear out anyway over time and since you are probably going to buy something that's already used.... But there should be people around who will provide repairs for this kind of stuff.

Thanks!
I own a Japanese Saturn since many years now, but so far I only collected and played Japanese games. I own an Action Replay Plus as well, and I used it as a backup memory card and expansion pack. I've got no problems so far (yet I know about how these things get worn out, in decades of use).

I asked because I was thinking about buying some US games for the system, and I was wondering if using the Action Replay as an adapter could cause some acknowledged issue. I'll go for it then, thanks again.

Ban Puncher

No problem playing US games in my Japanese Saturn with the Action Replay.

When I try to play PAL games though, things can get weird.

I've only really used the Japanese system before. It feels like all the personality is gone. The US logo looks big and cartoony, too.
I like the blue orb thing. Honestly mildly surprised the Japanese Saturn didn't use it to any capacity.

It is pretty weird how the logos and startup jingles are totally different, I'll grant you.

KC-Slater

I like the NA Saturn start-up better, but the NA branding/logo is atrocious. The EU packaging is even worse. It looks like a fan-sourced monstrosity. That font and glow around the text is the worst.

piggychan

No problem playing US games in my Japanese Saturn with the Action Replay.

When I try to play PAL games though, things can get weird.

yeah you have to lookout for the PAL optimized games. They will run with graphical glitches on any saturn running at 60hz. There is a list somewhere out there thats been around for years.

The gameplay was alright nothing stellar or amazing. I try to grade graphics by the system they were on and with that criteria, I really didn't like the way the game looked. Comparing it to NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon, or Sega Rally it just doesn't look good.

It was written by Kibe of Game Center CX fame and immensely huge Sega nerd. Of course its great. That last episode man : - (

The last episode should be on any list of the great tragic anime episodes.. :(

(Yes, for those who haven't watched it, it's that good, and emotional, for anyone who likes/liked Sega's consoles.)

Mzo

As part of my research I have been unable to find a single Burning Rangers review on Saturn that is worth a shit. Did I miss one?

Mzo

I've had it for like 10 years.

I was just commenting on how nobody has made a halfway decent video of the game on YouTube.

gooey

Neo Member
Games FINALLY arrived.
DOA has one of my favourite pieces of cover art ever. So sick.
Decent game but it's out-classed by it's sequels.
Fighters Mega Mix is plain awesome. Worth owning a saturn for alone.
Going to get some Capcom fighters next.

piggychan

It's fun. I'd recommend the M2 port on PS2 if you want the arcade experience, but the DC ver isn't too shabby either and actually has more modes IIRC.

I had no idea that last bronx came out on the saturn o_O

Japanese version of the saturn is probably the best one to get mostly because it comes on 2 discs, comes with a sticker sheet and has lots of fan service stuff on the 2nd disc.

robot

Imported Sonic Jam, man I love those japanese Sonic boxarts.

The sound seems a little all over the place. Some sound effects are pretty muffled, others are super loud. The other thing which is not specific to Sonic Jam is the resolution switches between game and menus when using a Framemeister.

The bonus materials and hub world are neat extras. Though I still think the US version of Sonic CD's intro & ending w/ Sonic Boom are better!

Mzo

Sorry, didn't realize you wanted youtube reviews.

It's cool, looking at my post I hardly made it obvious.

Trying to unlock everything in Christmas NiGHTS and I've gotten Reala like five times in a row. There can't be any more left.

Top Bottom