• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Never was able to get that game working. It'd just hang after the port house's logo.

I remember this game had some quirks. It wouldn't load past the Kokopeli logo on my Model 2 Saturn when there was a PAR in the cart slot. I think you needed both controllers plugged in or something as well. (edit: apparently it was no congrollers plugged in; see post below)

I've since sold it and bought the PS1 version, never looking back, lol.

Bar81

I remember this game had some quirks. It wouldn't load past the Kokopeli logo on my Model 2 Saturn when there was a PAR in the cart slot. I think you needed both controllers plugged in or something as well.

I've since sold it and bought the PS1 version, never looking back, lol.

If you're talking about In the Hunt make sure no controllers are plugged in until after it loads.

Christof

Neo Member
I am thinking about buying an import copy of Panzer Dragoon Azel/Saga.

I already have the Action Replay 4M memory card. Is there anything else I need/must do to play an import copy on my US Sega Saturn?

Timu

I am thinking about buying an import copy of Panzer Dragoon Azel/Saga.

I already have the Action Replay 4M memory card. Is there anything else I need/must do to play an import copy on my US Sega Saturn?
Sega Saturn ST KEY let's you play anything with it they say, like playing UK games on a US Saturn even(and Japanese of course).

MikeMyers

Talking to someone elsewhere and took a picture of my Saturn collection for them to see. Figured I might as well post it here:

BIR1nL6.jpg

So many fighters lol.

Since I've seen a few people post their Saturn library I thought I would do the same.

The game with no name on it's side label is Astal.

The import games on the side

Some of them are in the same shitty cd cases I bought them in, one of these days I really need to buy some replacements.

StevieWhite

Anyone ever play Heir of Zendor? I've owned it for a LONG time (bought it at a Funco Land when the Saturn was still a viable system) but only now have I just started playing. Weird game. Pretty ugly too, but I'm enjoying it thus far.

alf717

Reposting this because it was buried in Revenge of Death Adder and we're on a new page.

The KD-32FS170 looks like a nice CRT TV. Your best bet is to test it out and see what you think of the picture. I have a few CRT monitors in the house and have run into some that have a sightly distorted image on the corners or one color is dominate and throws off the colors. Offers one of each type of jack as well so you can do composite, s-video and component.

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-kd-32fs170/specs/

http://www.abt.com/product/22925/Sony-KD32FS170.html

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I remember a friend sending me a PAL version of Azel, and I got it to boot with the Action Replay..... but only once. After that it just wouldn't work anymore and I had no idea why. My friend suspected it was because it was a multi-disc game, but I still can't understand why it worked that one first time. I had to reluctantly return the game to him without having played it. :(

Fortunately I got a US copy later down the line for very cheap, so it worked out.

Are there any other Saturn games that are multi-disc, now that I think of it?

StevieWhite

D and Enemy Zero are multi disc as well. Macross is double disc too, but if I'm not mistaken, you can just start from the second disc at any time.

MikeMyers

Just realised a lot of classic Saturn games are having their 20th anniversary this year; including Fighters Megamix, Panzer Dragoon 2, and NiGHTS.

Also the anniversary of Model 3 and the holy grail itself, VF3.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I remember a friend sending me a PAL version of Azel, and I got it to boot with the Action Replay..... but only once. After that it just wouldn't work anymore and I had no idea why. My friend suspected it was because it was a multi-disc game, but I still can't understand why it worked that one first time. I had to reluctantly return the game to him without having played it. :(

Fortunately I got a US copy later down the line for very cheap, so it worked out.

Are there any other Saturn games that are multi-disc, now that I think of it?

Well if it's out of region you'd need to remember to launch with the code to make it ignore the AR was in there unless it's a different problem.

Never was able to get that game working. It'd just hang after the port house's logo.

Reposting this because it was buried in Revenge of Death Adder and we're on a new page.

Originally Posted by Piston Hyundai

Does anybody know if the Sony KD-32FS170 is a solid TV for retro games? I came across one looking for CRTs with S-Video.

That Tv has potential. Make sure you can turn off " ClearEdge VM™ Technology" and you'll be fine.

Use a RGB scart cable with a scart-component converter for the best possible picture.

Here is the manual for that TV
https://docs.sony.com/release//specs/KD32FS170_mksp.pdf

JLynn

Looking at my collection today, realizing how I came a long way since I had a fire in 1998 that destroyed my entire game collection. I try not to take it for granted considering it can all be gone in a blink of an eye.

MikeMyers

Man, really sorry to hear about that fire, but glad you've rebounded from it.

Decided to order the US version of Fighters Megamix to see if it really is different.

Khaz

Decided to order the US version of Fighters Megamix to see if it really is different.

I suppose if you want to eliminate all slowdown you could go for the PAL release. It was PAL-optimised, meaning gameplay and music are (should be?) at the correct speed, with a slightly higher res. If the slowdowns are caused by the console not being able to compute everything at 60fps, outputting 50fps only should solve it. You need to have a 50Hz-ready console though.

televator

I was counting the box with everything in it. Any who, I love my CRT it was only $10. The one reason I haven't picked up a mini yet.

I keep a Sony CRT around for comparison to the FM, the rare times I REALLY need no lag (Punch-Out), and quick demo purposes (I can connect a CRT up faster than a Framemeister).

Balb

I've never liked the Saturn long boxes but looking at your guys' pics, they look damn good on the shelf. I should arrange mine like that too.

Gyrian

New pickups for the weekend!

9R1Scb7.jpg

Dynamite Deka is so so good, with that kind of crazy SEGA arcade charm that is so hard to explain. Ended up playing through nearly the whole thing while meaning to check that the disc was working fine!

I've never liked the Saturn long boxes but looking at your guys' pics, they look damn good on the shelf. I should arrange mine like that too.
Regardless of how they are displayed, Saturn long boxes are a work of art.

New pickups for the weekend!

9R1Scb7.jpg

Dynamite Deka is so so good, with that kind of crazy SEGA arcade charm that is so hard to explain. Ended up playing through nearly the whole thing while meaning to check that the disc was working fine!
Deka have Deep Scan for continues like NA?

Timu

Oh, Fighters Megamix, I might do more youtube vids on it. I need to do one on Virtua Fighter 2 and Fighting Vipers as well.

Top Bottom