• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

I thought composite was a big upgrade when I got it for my Genesis (only knew what it looked like over RF until a few years back), but good lord, S-Video is something else. Totally worth almost breaking my feet/back/etc. moving the TV I got.

TeaJay

Trying to start up Battle Garegga, but I get an error probably about lack of space since only word I understand is RAM. But there should be plenty of space since I cleared my saves to my Action Replay, there are only a few files in the RAM memory. It's odd that the game won't let me play past this message. Anyone know what could be the problem?

TeaJay

I could, but I got past it by clearing the system memory. After that it saved the game normally. I thought maybe the Action replay memory is acting up, since I tend to move my saves there, but then I moved a Metal Slug save from the AR to RAM and it worked just fine. So I don't know what the problem is/was.

piggychan

Japanese, heard the US one has less slowdowns.

I think the music doesn't start and stop every round like the japanese ver. Plus there are a few images that got censored namely ones of Tokio and Honey.

Dead of Alive has lots of extra costumes not featured in the arcade, FMV intro and redbook audio OST. and personally I think it looks and performs better than any of the AM2 fighting games!

MikeMyers

I didn't like DOA2 too much, but since DOA1 is cheap and meant to be more like VF anyway, I figured why not.

Kinda funny VF2 was one of Sega's early fighting games on the system and looks better than their later fighters released on the Saturn.

piggychan

I didn't like DOA2 too much, but since DOA1 is cheap and meant to be more like VF anyway, I figured why not.

Kinda funny VF2 was one of Sega's early fighting games on the system and looks better than their later fighters released on the Saturn.

well to be fair the later games added lighting and shading and breakable walls and still kept it at 60fps.

MikeMyers

I'll be on my death bed wondering how Saturn VF3 would have looked like....

...how many years would I get if I traveled to Japan and raided AM2's offices looking for it?

Tain

I'll be on my death bed wondering how Saturn VF3 would have looked like....

...how many years would I get if I traveled to Japan and raided AM2's offices looking for it?

it's like

How much more of a hit would the models take due to the arenas? Since they can't use VDP2 for those surfaces, of course. The models were already pretty poly-starved in Megamix. And it would be low-res, like Fighter's Megamix, but maybe they'd have to drop the more advanced lighting. Would they dare make it 30fps? I don't think they would.

I swear I think about this at least monthly.

Sapiens

it's like

How much more of a hit would the models take due to the arenas? Since they can't use VDP2 for those surfaces, of course. The models were already pretty poly-starved in Megamix. And it would be low-res, like Fighter's Megamix, but maybe they'd have to drop the more advanced lighting. Would they dare make it 30fps? I don't think they would.

I swear I think about this at least monthly.

I imagine the aesthetics would have been similar to the saturn shenmue demo. 320x224 res.

gelf

I'm pretty content with never seeing Saturn Virtua Fighter 3. What I constantly think about is what could have been if Fighters Megamix displayed at the same fidelity of VF2. I'd have happily taken the hit of going back to more basic lighting and removing the walls and whatever else to have that happen.

Defunkled

I'm kinda new to the genre and I'm looking to finally delve into the Saturn's SHMUP library. Spent some time researching and holy shit a lot of them are super expensive. Hyper Duel, Batsugun, and Thunder Force V all look fuckin' rad but they're so pricey. Are there any cheaper alternatives that you guys would recommend?

Tain

I imagine the aesthetics would have been similar to the saturn shenmue demo. 320x224 res.

That demo ran sooooo slow, though, going by the Shenmue II footage. Way less than 30fps. I know it had bigger scenes, but even after scaling down to VF3-sized arenas I don't think it would run well enough for VF play.

MikeMyers

How salty would you guys be if it did leak, and unlike the Dreamcast version, somehow was arcade-perfect?

Hey, it happened with Street Fighter Alpha 3...

Sapiens

That demo ran sooooo slow, though, going by the Shenmue II footage. Way less than 30fps. I know it had bigger scenes, but even after scaling down to VF3-sized arenas I don't think it would run well enough for VF play.

Makes you wonder if there was some sort of hardware accelerator cart in production then. I wonder if there was e-nuff bandwidth on that port to make it possible...

Either way, I think VF3 would have been a shit show on Saturn - likely with some weird trickery to make the environments work.

MikeMyers

Makes you wonder if there was some sort of hardware accelerator cart in production then. I wonder if there was e-nuff bandwidth on that port to make it possible...

Either way, I think VF3 would have been a shit show on Saturn - likely with some weird trickery to make the environments work.

Come to think of it, was it gonna be a standalone game, or was it gonna come with some sort of RAM cart expansion?

sarcoa

Come to think of it, was it gonna be a standalone game, or was it gonna come with some sort of RAM cart expansion?
Virtua Fighter 3's development history on Saturn is one of those gaming unicorn's that we'll never have a satisfying answer for.

If you want to take a wild ride check out the entirety of this VF3 Saturn thread on the Assembler forums. People seem to believe there were not one, but two completely finished versions of the game. I don't know whether they're delusional and willing something into existence or genuinely informed, but I find it fascinating.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm fairly confident that we will never see VF3 Saturn in any capacity.

did you guys know VF3 on N64 was on the table? Wonder how far that got.

Galdelico

Yeah I heard Sega America sold Acclaim the rights to VF3 at one point.

Fucking Bernie Stolar man.
Haha, that name echoes so many awful memories... Every time I read 'Bernie Stolar' in a magazine, it was usually tied to some bad news. :D
Speaking of magazines, It would've been interesting to see how Acclaim's VF3 compared to the never released . I still own that issue of The Games Machine, lol.

MikeMyers

Acclaim bought the rights to DOA1 and VF3 N64 iirc and Sega Japan freaked out. I think its hey they got Crazy Taxi and a few other titles later on.

MikeMyers

There's still slowdown when the armor breaks, but I think that might be intentional. Kind of like a slow-motion thing.

No more TASTES LIKE HONEY either.

Teknoman

So anyone know the pixel dimensions I should set for printing out the back cover of a Saturn case?

I need to print out this for Shining Force 3.

w0oLSP1.jpg

Khaz

So anyone know the pixel dimensions I should set for printing out the back cover of a Saturn case?

I need to print out this for Shining Force 3.

It depends at what dpi it has been scanned at.

The better way to do it is to embed it into a word document, where you can specify the size of the image in cm, then print the whole page. Automatic resizing is usually on by default in printer setup, don't forget to turn it off.

[edit] Software tells me 96dpi, 2069x2344, or 73.0 x 82.7 cm; 28.74 x 32.56 inches.
That's obviously not correct, unless you want to print a poster. 300 dpi is much more likely, but even then you would miss a couple mm according to my quick measure of an actual game. Better stick to the tried and true method above.

Ah ok.

Well if Sega went 3rd party after the Saturn instead of Dreamcast, I wonder if we'd have seen VF2 PS1 or N64? Curious to see how they would have handled it.
Well, there was a port of Sega Rally made for the N64 during that post Saturn period. I don't know if it was a full port or just a demo, but it was something that was considered. My memory is hazy but I seem to remember that this was outsourced to Codemasters.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Well, there was a port of Sega Rally made for the N64 during that post Saturn period. I don't know if it was a full port or just a demo, but it was something that was considered. My memory is hazy but I seem to remember that this was outsourced to Codemasters.

Never heard that before. Sega Rally did get a GBA game though.

Top Bottom