• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

After recnetly completing the Saturn version of Resident Evil, which turned out to be fine and an equel expereince to the PS1 version I've played mutiple times. I decided to give Tomb Raider a go...

...but man. I reached the first really open and large cave with the two wolves roaming the bottom of it. The framerate just nose dived. While the rest of the game maybe looks a little darker and perhaps a little crisper on textures though more jaggy looking overall, and renders slightly further into the distance than the PS1 version, it just isn't something I want to continue on. I booted up the PS1 version and it was just much better imo. I'll be skipping my Saturn playthrough on this.

Sapiens

After recnetly completing the Saturn version of Resident Evil, which turned out to be fine and an equel expereince to the PS1 version I've played mutiple times. I decided to give Tomb Raider a go...

...but man. I reached the first really open and large cave with the two wolves roaming the bottom of it. The framerate just nose dived. While the rest of the game maybe looks a little darker and perhaps a little crisper on textures though more jaggy looking overall, and renders slightly further into the distance than the PS1 version, it just isn't something I want to continue on. I booted up the PS1 version and it was just much better imo. I'll be skipping my Saturn playthrough on this.

I'd argue that it was Tomb Raider that lost Sega the hearts and minds(farts) of consumers in the 32 bit era.

It was such a mind-blowing game and knowing the Ps1 version was superior back then...well, it just cemented it.

The funny thing is, the Saturn version was the lead version, too. Its quad-based rendering is a large reason why TR stages are so... blocky and square.

I'd argue that it was Tomb Raider that lost Sega the hearts and minds(farts) of consumers in the 32 bit era.

It was such a mind-blowing game and knowing the Ps1 version was superior back then...well, it just cemented it.
I really could agree, if Core and their love for weird Sega hardware couldn't make it, know one could.
The funny thing is, the Saturn version was the lead version, too. Its quad-based rendering is a large reason why TR stages are so... blocky and square.
Haha yeah, it's so strange. I guess they realised so far into development that they couldn't rebuild the game just to cater for the Saturns difficult 3D programming, plus seeing the PS1 gain consumer momentum and they just: "fuck it, if it can't handle our game then it's their fault, the PS1 does it fine!"

MikeMyers

Don't worry, Sonic Mania will save the Saturn.

I really could agree, if Core and their love for weird Sega hardware couldn't make it, know one could.

Haha yeah, it's so strange. I guess they realised so far into development that they couldn't rebuild the game just to cater for the Saturns difficult 3D programming, plus seeing the PS1 gain consumer momentum and they just: "fuck it, if it can't handle our game then it's their fault, the PS1 does it fine!"
My understanding is the sequels probably would've gone to Sega hardware regardless, had Sony not bought exclusivity rights after the first game became a system seller for them. Partly why the series came back to Sega with The Last Revelation - the contract in question had ended by that point.

(Well, exclusivity rights that allowed for PC versions, I suppose.)

Teknoman

Well i feel dumb. Made a huge chunk of progress on Panzer Dragoon Saga disc 3. Save and decide to take a break for a bit, notice I never pressed record on my capture software.

Not that i'm not enjoying it, but I wanted to record and upload my first time playthrough. Ah oh well.... still sucks since I dont think there are many high quality PDS uploads out there.

MikeMyers

Kinda crazy to think about how much Core Design supported the Mega CD & Saturn given they weren't too popular in Core's homeland the UK.

Sapiens

Kinda crazy to think about how much Core Design supported the Mega CD & Saturn given they weren't too popular in Core's homeland the UK.

Back then, you could have a couple talented coders make an entire game. It must have been a risk still, but one easily mitigated by support from console manufacturers.

Galdelico

Aside from 'it's your money, use it as you wish', do you guys think it's stupid to blow around 30 euros on a complete (spine and regcard included), japanese Marvel Super Heroes? I know it's far from being arcade perfect, and I already own both XBLA MvC Origins, and MSHvsSF on the Saturn.
Point is, recently, I feel like adding to my collection some pre-expansion-cart era arcade ports (such as Vampire Hunter, which literally cost me ONE dollar, though) - mainly to enjoy them in 240p on my CRT TV - and MSH is right on top of my head.

Alternatively, there would be a much cheaper Biohazard...

KC-Slater

Aside from 'it's your money, use it as you wish', do you guys think it's stupid to blow around 30 euros on a complete (spine and regcard included), japanese Marvel Super Heroes? I know it's far from being arcade perfect, and I already own both XBLA MvC Origins, and MSHvsSF on the Saturn.
Point is, recently, I feel like adding to my collection some pre-expansion-cart era arcade ports (such as Vampire Hunter, which literally cost me ONE dollar, though) - mainly to enjoy them in 240p on my CRT TV - and MSH is right on top of my head.

Alternatively, there would be a much cheaper Biohazard...

It's not a great port (load times are rough, and there is significant slowdown) but it's not terrible by any means. Owning complete copies of games is fun. Go for it!

(Also, MSH supports the official 1MB RAM cart, but not really the 4MB or 4-in-1, FYI.)

D.Lo

Damn is Marvel Super Heroes up to that price?

Ah I'm glad I did my Saturn collecting 10-15 years ago. Though I wish I bought more 'expensive' shooters back then...

Galdelico

It's not a great port (load times are rough, and there is significant slowdown) but it's not terrible by any means. Owning complete copies of games is fun. Go for it!

(Also, MSH supports the official 1MB RAM cart, but not really the 4MB or 4-in-1, FYI.)

That's good to know, thank you. For convenience, I keep my Action Replay Plus plugged in all the time, but I also own both official carts, so I should be fine.

Damn is Marvel Super Heroes up to that price?

Ah I'm glad I did my Saturn collecting 10-15 years ago. Though I wish I bought more 'expensive' shooters back then...

Eh, that's why I'm not entirely sure. On the one hand, I won a mint Vampire Hunter for 1 dollar a couple weeks ago (I guess nobody noticed it, tbh), but on the other one, I kept bidding on different MSH auctions, recently, and they all pretty much reached that amount. So I wonder if I should keep waiting, or just pull the trigger now that I have the chance (you know when you have just a few pennies on PayPal, you don't plan to buy anything major for a while, and you want to make the most out of your change? That's me right now... :D).

MikeMyers

Well when I combined NPD and Chart-Track's numbers to get a rough idea on what Saturn's software sales in the west would look like, it came out looking like this:

01. Virtua Fighter 2 - 930,000
02. Daytona USA - 870,000
03. Sega Rally Championship - 660,000
04. Virtua Cop - 630,000
05. Virtua Fighter - 400,000
06. Tomb Raider - 390,000
07. NiGHTS into Dreams... - 340,000
08. Worldwide Soccer '97 - 250,000
09. Madden NFL 97 - 240,000
10. Sonic 3D Blast - 170,000

So Tomb Raider is most likely the best selling 3rd party Saturn game in the west, but not like that means much lol.

Interestingly Tomb Raider 2 is the 2nd best selling PSX game in the UK, losing only to Rayman. Kinda surprised Rayman is #1.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well i feel dumb. Made a huge chunk of progress on Panzer Dragoon Saga disc 3. Save and decide to take a break for a bit, notice I never pressed record on my capture software.

Not that i'm not enjoying it, but I wanted to record and upload my first time playthrough. Ah oh well.... still sucks since I dont think there are many high quality PDS uploads out there.
Ah, that sucks. It's a short game though so maybe replay it and record it? Haha. It won't be a "first time playthrough" though I guess...

MikeMyers

Happy 20th anniversary to Sakura Taisen

14485106_651107211716069_3930120594637351713_n.jpg

Teknoman

Ah, that sucks. It's a short game though so maybe replay it and record it? Haha. It won't be a "first time playthrough" though I guess...

Yeah i'll definitely end up replaying it due to a better understanding of the story / mechanics. Seems like disc 4 is really where things are thoroughly explained (for the most part anyway).

piggychan

Well when I combined NPD and Chart-Track's numbers to get a rough idea on what Saturn's software sales in the west would look like, it came out looking like this:

01. Virtua Fighter 2 - 930,000
02. Daytona USA - 870,000
03. Sega Rally Championship - 660,000
04. Virtua Cop - 630,000
05. Virtua Fighter - 400,000
06. Tomb Raider - 390,000
07. NiGHTS into Dreams... - 340,000
08. Worldwide Soccer '97 - 250,000
09. Madden NFL 97 - 240,000
10. Sonic 3D Blast - 170,000

So Tomb Raider is most likely the best selling 3rd party Saturn game in the west, but not like that means much lol.

Interestingly Tomb Raider 2 is the 2nd best selling PSX game in the UK, losing only to Rayman. Kinda surprised Rayman is #1.

I could have sworn that Shining in the Holy Ark sold a decent amount and made it into the top 5 all formats during it's release.

MikeMyers

Come to think about everyone I knew with a PSX owned Rayman including me, but nobody really made a big deal out of it like with Tekken and Tomb Raider at the time.

D.Lo

I was a wholsale software buyer in the late 90's. Rayman was a constant seller on the Platinum range. It did nothing on original launch but when the Playstation became affordable and an upgrade for the Megadrive/SNES kids it was the only 2d platformer availible easily.
Yeah exactly. I find s lot of PS1/PS2/Wii game sales totals are skewed toward extreme budget releasss. I believe Frogger was one of the highest selling PS1 games, mostly because it was sold for $10 at convinence stores for years. In Australia you could buy stuff like Rayman or Frogger for $20 at supermarkets and post offices (these places sold NO other games, just these budget titles). For comparison most games sold new for $100 and even regular platinum releases were $50.

MikeMyers

Well if I had to guess big sellers on PSX that didn't just mostly get by on budget sales, I'd probably say:

Gran Turismo
Final Fantasy
Metal Gear Solid
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil
Tekken

Were the PSX heavy hittters.

I was a wholsale software buyer in the late 90's. Rayman was a constant seller on the Platinum range. It did nothing on original launch but when the Playstation became affordable and an upgrade for the Megadrive/SNES kids it was the only 2d platformer availible easily.

It was my first platinum game, I think it actually was one of the first titles in that range! Getting a game at half price was always tempting, I bought quite a few platinum games on the PS1. Luckily the PAL covers were quite nice!

Well if I had to guess big sellers on PSX that didn't just mostly get by on budget sales, I'd probably say:

Gran Turismo
Final Fantasy
Metal Gear Solid
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil
Tekken

Were the PSX heavy hittters.

Nope, all of those were long tail Platinum sellers, along with Crash Bandicoot and Mickey mania. As soon as the release quantites hit a certain sales number Sony were quick to add them to the Platinum range.

And, to keep us on topic I brought all of Sega Europes Saturn overstocks in 1998. Also EA games brought from Nordic Games (now THQ Nordic) So if you suddenly saw a lot of good Saturn games in your indie store in the UK around that time it was because of my buying. Nobody else in the industry was buying those and as as Saturn fan I was doing my bit. The director asked my why I kept buying "shitty Saturn games" to which I could reply "because they sell and we have not lost money on them."

D.Lo

So what were people buying PSX for? Just Fifa and stuff?

Surprised Sega Saturn UK magazine lasted as long as it did.
In that era, Tomb Raider and sequels, Resident Evil and sequels, Final Fantasy VII and sequels. A bit later Metal Gear and Gran Turrismo. Plus yes, regional sports games, it inherited the Mega Drive sports crowd. And add to this a huge number of mid level titles.

I would dare say if it wasn't for platinum releases no PS1 game would have cracked 5 million. At least in America a few N64 games dominated the top sellers lists until about 2000, but people were still buying platinum Gran Turrismo for $20 into the mid 2000s.

So many people pirateed on PS1, at least where I lived, but they still bought the odd platinum game anyway, so Sony still made some revenue even from Pirates.

MikeMyers

it inherited the Mega Drive sports crowd. And add to this a huge number of mid level titles..

Well commercially it basically was Mega Drive 2, just with the major difference being that it got Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest instead of Nintendo. Saturn is more of PC-Engine 2.

Sony's ads were even very similar Sega's Genesis ads.

D.Lo

Sony's ads were even very similar Sega's Genesis ads.
They sure were. They even cynically created (or adopted technically) their own f-grade Sonic ripoff, and got Scamco on board for their own versions of Sega Rally and Virtua Fighter and Virtua Cop and...

MikeMyers

Marketing-wise Crash Bandicoot was definitely a Sonic knockoff, but the gameplay always semed more like it was aping Donkey Kong Country to me.

D.Lo

Marketing-wise Crash Bandicoot was definitely a Sonic knockoff, but the gameplay always semed more like it was aping Donkey Kong Country to me.
I mean maybe? It has a spin melee attack (more of a Taz character ripoff there) and was a jungle setting, but the setting comes from the character and so being a Bandicoot I guess it was 'Australian Jungle'.

I mean Crash was just another from a long line of 'animals with attitude' Sonic ripoffs aka Bubsys. I guess you can trace that back even further culturally to Ninja Turtles. Even Donkey Kong Country was Nintendo jumping on that bandwagon. Crash was even created by a serial offender - the creator of Aero the Acrobat.

That said the Donkey Kong Country games vastly outsold any Sonic games, so I guess DK was the 'attitude animal' you wanted to copy lol.

D.Lo

You sure Donkey Kong Country outsold Sonic? I thought Sonic 1 sold over 15 million.
See if you can find a good source on that. Wikipedia cites a youtube video lol. As far as I can tell Sonic 1 sold 4 million, Sonic 2 sold 6 million. DKC1 sold almost 10 million.

MikeMyers

Well, all I could find is this, which seems to support your case. Maybe I'll ask the Retro Sales thread on it.

I mean, Sonic 2 and even Aladdin actually sold better than Sonic 1? Wouldn't have thought that.

D.Lo

Yeah fair call, the GAF retro sales thread is probably the most legit source on the internet. Not based on heresay and dead links which cited made up number links like the garbage on Wikipedia.

MikeMyers

Yeah I'm looking at the Genesis/Mega Drive best-seller article on Wikipedia and it is a mess. Apparently a NFL game released in 1997 for the Genesis sold over a million according to a dead link lol.

The Saturn and Dreamcast sales are pretty well-cited, and there's never any information on Master System. :/

Top Bottom