• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

I bought about 4 brand new, boxed controllers from Toys R Us for $1.98 each a few years ago. And quite recently, new sealed DC mouse. I love getting NOS.

Galdelico

Passed on that Marvel Super Heroes, in the end. But for a good cause, I believe...
A brand new copy of Gradius Advance for the GBA.

Waiting for my Japanese Vampire Hunter and The House of the Dead to arrive, though.

MikeMyers

Speaking of Marvel Super Heroes, I'm thinking of getting Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter.

On one hand, Spidey and the The Hulk.

On the other hand, it's kinda a rehash.

Galdelico

Speaking of Marvel Super Heroes, I'm thinking of getting Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter.

On one hand, Spidey and the The Hulk.

On the other hand, it's kinda a rehash.

Not in the slightest, at least on the Saturn. It's gorgeous, and pushes the system like any other 2D fighter. I know, Vampire Savior and SFZ3 are probably technically superior, but MSHvsSF is so damn smooth, loud and explosive... On top of that,
Mazinger-Gouki
. I mean, come on.

D.Lo

Is that just out of the Marvel series is that including verse like Vs. SNK?
Ah yeah, I do loved all four Capcom/SNK fighting games, so just Marvel. I don't think of CVS and a versus series, I think of it as King of Fighters with Capcom added ;)

KC-Slater

A beautiful rehash, though I am much more nostalgic towards X-Men Vs Street Fighter.

Yep, MVSF is fantastic. It's the only versus game I play.

I like the roster generally better in MSH VS SF, but X-Men Vs Street Fighter feels like a more cohesive product and has better presentation. Someone has mentioned this before, but the Alpha-influenced design of the Street Fighter characters works really well with the Fox 90s X-Men cartoon inspired characters. Both are very fun and beautiful to look at.

My only criticism would be the somewhat watered-down backgrounds (a big step-down from 'Marvel Super Heroes') and the feeling that MSH VS SF feels like more of a roster refresh than a full-fledged sequel. Both are must-have Saturn titles though.

I still love these games, along with the original 'Marvel Vs Capcom' and 'Tatsunoko vs. Capcom' more than MVC2. MVC2 just feels like a fan-made Mugen project.

Teknoman

Nothing imo since considering (before Alpha introduced Guy) they were the only SF character's i'd play with lol. Or at least anyone that controlled like them.

I want to learn how to use Fei-Long though.

Also looking for an excuse to play D or Enemy Zero, GAF plays 31 nights of horror 4 thread is up.

Teknoman

D is awesome and twisted with a very unsettling vibe. Never played Enemy Zero, but I dont think the idea of one enemy type that you cant see until its too late (isnt it a one hit death) is very fun.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I own D for the Playstation, is that version decent? Never played it unfortunately, something i picked up for cheap way back.

Galdelico

What does SaturnGAF think of D & Enemy Zero anyways?
Huge fan of D.
Of course, my love for the series transcends its obvious gameplay shortcomings, while it's grounded on the incredible atmosphere - and the twisted scenario - which both entires generously provide. To be fair, D2 on the Dreamcast has been one of my favourite experiences with the system, also due to some excellent visuals (which helped the immersion alot) and proper shocking moments.
Japanese D on the Saturn is dirt cheap as well.

Unrelated and kinda random, but after getting Darius II a couple of weeks ago, I finally found a complete Darius Gaiden, which I just ordered. Looking forward to try it out.

Wereroku

D is awesome and twisted with a very unsettling vibe. Never played Enemy Zero, but I dont think the idea of one enemy type that you cant see until its too late (isnt it a one hit death) is very fun.

Not only can you not see the enemies but you have to charge your gun to fire it and it will discharge if you overcharge it. The game is bad and no one should spend money on it. Watch youtube videos to enjoy the music and story.

MikeMyers

Been a while since I played it but doesn't the Japanese version just let you use the songs from the original Model 2 game? Takenobu Mitsuyoshi re-recorded each song for the 1995 launch Saturn game port.

MurderOfPoes

Neo Member
I think I might have an issue:

img_20160827_013340y3u1b.jpg

From 22 to 65 it is all the same gibberish.

I usually get one corrupted data on the last slot on my cart.

Was never able to tell if it was replacing (corrupting) an old save or not, everything seemed to be in place.

Been living abroad and haven't touch my Saturn in years, I wonder how many of those I got now.

Also, I get this on an official memory cart, those don't have batteries, only flash memory. Should I be worried?

Time to start this:

I got this recently as I was curious after the DF Retro episode. Having played a lot of the N64 version I wanted to know how it faired on the Saturn.

It's an impressive port, but I really enjoy the N64 more. It's much smoother and feels faster, plus you can disable AA in it to make it look quite sharp on the N64.

MikeMyers

I know this doesn't answer your question, but try Cosmic Smash on Dreamcast if you get a chance. My favourite Tennis game ever (I guess it's Tennis?)
I have Virtua Tennis on Dreamcast, but was just curious about Saturn. I'll look into that though.

Maybe if Sega didn't piss off Camelot we wouldn't have gotten a nice Sonic tennis game from them, lol.

Galdelico

Any good Field Hockey or Tennis games on Saturn?
Judging from YT footage and Internet consesus, Tennis Arena (Ubi Soft) seems to be the best one on the Saturn. Weirdly, it's a Japanese-only release for the SS, commanding high-to-ridiculous prices on eBay, so you may want to look at the PS1 version instead, which is probably better as well.

Virtual Open Tennis looks like a mess, while Break Point feels extremely slow and barebones.

Galdelico

Opinions on Galaxy Fight?
If you're looking at it mostly for collecting purposes and casual play, it's a decent port. Pre-RAM era, but definitely better than Fatal Fury 3.
That said, if you want the best home version - Neo Geo aside, of course - go for PS2 Sunsoft Collection (JP only). Way more expensive, but you get both arcade perfect Galaxy Fight and Waku Waku 7 (Saturn version was, once again, pretty bad).

If you're looking at it mostly for collecting purposes and casual play, it's a decent port. Pre-RAM era, but definitely better than Fatal Fury 3.
That said, if you want the best home version - Neo Geo aside, of course - go for PS2 Sunsoft Collection (JP only). Way more expensive, but you get both arcade perfect Galaxy Fight and Waku Waku 7 (Saturn version was, once again, pretty bad).

Is Sunsoft Collection 480i? I see online reports that there is no 240p option.

Galdelico

Is Sunsoft Collection 480i? I see online reports that there is no 240p option.
Nope, nothing you can access to ingame. I don't know if having the PS2 connected via component opens up to different video settings (I doubt it does).
I'm aware alot of you guys hate 2D games on the PS2, due to its 480i, but still... Those collections look good enough to me, on my Trinitron via RGB scart, to be preferable to inferior - yet more arcade accurate-looking - 240p ports.

Finally I got this :

The music synthesizer for the Saturn (something like Korg for DS/3DS)

Does anyone knows if there is a site with samples or "howto" ?
The game itself is all in english anyway

Galdelico

^ Nice! Are those non-gaming releases collectible, or were you just looking for that software, with the idea of using it?

Also, collector-GAF... Anyone ever bought and opened a brand new Japanese copy of Darius Gaiden for the Saturn? I recently picked one up, which included both spine and registration cards, after doing quite a bit of research, in order to get a complete set.

Now, I see this other one, listed by Yamatoku, which seems to come with that weird extra 'Memo' paper. Is it supposed to be there? I checked Satakore and basically every single auction (sold and on sale) on eBay at the time I bought mine, and I've never seen it.
Just curious, not gonna buy the game again because of that. :)

Conezays

I got this recently as I was curious after the DF Retro episode. Having played a lot of the N64 version I wanted to know how it faired on the Saturn.

It's an impressive port, but I really enjoy the N64 more. It's much smoother and feels faster, plus you can disable AA in it to make it look quite sharp on the N64.

Yep, that's pretty much my impression as well. I just got an RGB-modded N64 which drives the point home further. Quake, Doom, etc. with the expansion pak finally look legitimately good, which is nice :p The Saturn port is interesting but it's hard to recommend with the various other options out there (PC as well). I still recommend Exhumed/Powerslave though!

D.Lo

Hell yes I'm glad I waited.

I have the PS1 version loaded up on my PSPGo, but always wanted to play the Saturn version as it's the best version.

Wow they finally translated Policenauts for Saturn!? Man I remember seeing fan projects spring then wither for years without anything. Super cool to finally be able to play it on SS!

koopas

Just curious, not gonna buy the game again because of that. :)
Uh oh. I've been down this road and it doesn't end well.

*Looks at auction* Does my copy have this flyer? OH GOD MY COPY IS MISSING IT MY GAME IS NOT TRULY COMPLETE MUST BUY SEALED ONLY AAAAAaaa

It's a sickness I've been there lol

Top Bottom