• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Bar81

^ Nice! Are those non-gaming releases collectible, or were you just looking for that software, with the idea of using it?

Also, collector-GAF... Anyone ever bought and opened a brand new Japanese copy of Darius Gaiden for the Saturn? I recently picked one up, which included both spine and registration cards, after doing quite a bit of research, in order to get a complete set.

Now, I see this other one, listed by Yamatoku, which seems to come with that weird extra 'Memo' paper. Is it supposed to be there? I checked Satakore and basically every single auction (sold and on sale) on eBay at the time I bought mine, and I've never seen it.
Just curious, not gonna buy the game again because of that. :)

Obviously not part of the game - just a note someone stuck in the case.

Galdelico

Uh oh. I've been down this road and it doesn't end well.

*Looks at auction* Does my copy have this flyer? OH GOD MY COPY IS MISSING IT MY GAME IS NOT TRULY COMPLETE MUST BUY SEALED ONLY AAAAAaaa

It's a sickness I've been there lol

N-no... Why do you say that? That's not me, re-

Obviously not part of the game - just a note someone stuck in the case.

Theendoftheworldiscancelled_zpsdeoayn46.jpg

Thanks sir. ;)

^ Nice! Are those non-gaming releases collectible, or were you just looking for that software, with the idea of using it?

I didn't study music so I don't know how far I can go with that synthesizer, years ago I tried the Korg on DS and I barely understood how it worked :D

Anyway, Techno Motor is all in english so no barrier language (except for the manual, of course)

BTails

Been debating replaying Policenauts again since I haven't played it since the release of the English patch for PSX years and years ago. Perfect timing on this release!

IrishNinja

awesome news!

Hell yes I'm glad I waited.

I have the PS1 version loaded up on my PSPGo, but always wanted to play the Saturn version as it's the best version.

what all's different? i totally played through it on PSP years ago, but could go for a replay later

D.Lo

awesome news!

what all's different? i totally played through it on PSP years ago, but could go for a replay later

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/policenauts/policenauts.htm

The second release was the PlayStation version, which has the best looking videos, but these only run at a rather choppy 15 FPS. A supplementary release called the Policenauts Private Collection was later released, which includes nearly all of the goodies from the Pilot Disc, plus the script and storyboard. Since the Pilot Disc was meant to be a demo it dances around spoilers but the Private Collection has no problem revealing the entire game. The Saturn version is the final release, and comes in a 3 CD package with a hardcover art booklet. The video looks slightly worse than the PlayStation version, but it's also a bit smoother. It also contains a few extra scenes and slightly modified story elements, making it the most comprehensive of the console releases, as well as light gun support for the shooting segments. It also has most of the goodies from the Private Collection, including the ability to look up any term in the glossary via hyperlinks in the in-game text.

JLynn

I was singing Oh Happy Day when I heard of the English patch news. And I heard that it uses the same script as the PSOne which is very excellent. I also expect the usual rom sites to upload the patched iso in a few days.

Galdelico

Winter Heat any good?

Not quite as brilliant as Decathlete, in my opinion (probably due to the fact I personally prefer Olympic games to winter sports in general), and visually a bit more monotonous than its predecessor - once again, mostly because of the setting - but if you enjoyed what Decathlete had to offer, I'm pretty sure you'll be right at home with Winter Heat too.

Bliggity BLAM

vepA6iH.jpg

Congrats, dude.
Love when such grails just pop up unexpectedly.

TeaJay

I was singing Oh Happy Day when I heard of the English patch news. And I heard that it uses the same script as the PSOne which is very excellent. I also expect the usual rom sites to upload the patched iso in a few days.

The patching wasn't too bad after I managed to name the files correctly.

Tried it a bit, seems like a very good game. Never played previously.

Cc23830

At last, a worthwhile addition to my collection, raises it to 51 games and it is one i have been after for a while. i got it for the princely sum of £0 which is about $0 ? ( i have also gained a friend online who i am forever indebted to!)

megamansbsns.jpg

Does Saturn Policenauts require one of those weird MPEG cards?

Get an Action Replay Plus if you don't already have one (you can get them new still for normal price) and install Pseudo Saturn. Then just do the normal patching of your rip of Policenauts and burn to a CD.

Keep in mind that after flashing a action replay I think it no longer functions as ram expansion. So if you have arcade games don't do it. :(

MikeMyers

Not quite as brilliant as Decathlete, in my opinion (probably due to the fact I personally prefer Olympic games to winter sports in general), and visually a bit more monotonous than its predecessor - once again, mostly because of the setting - but if you enjoyed what Decathlete had to offer, I'm pretty sure you'll be right at home with Winter Heat too.

Four players button mashing, it's a must have if you have friends.

Well if Segata Sanshiro approves of it, it must be good!

Opened up my JP Saturn for the first time. It was shockingly pristine inside. I'm pretty sure this system was barely used.

I also modded the save battery to use a 2-AA holder that I'm filling with a couple of Eneloops. This should ensure very long battery life. I wanted this to be internal so it's in the VCD slot and I had to desolder the CR-2032 holder. One downside is if that VCD-slot Saturn flashcart ever materializes I'm going to have to re-think this and maybe re-mount my battery holder externally.

Aside from removing a million screws and forgetting to re-plug in the CD drive this mod was pretty simple. There's pretty similar efforts here, here, and here if anyone is interested.

Khaz

I hope someone comes out with a mod that uses non-volatile RAM instead, with a chip replacement or something. If it could increase the internal memory size as well, that would be glorious.

Where's this from?

An old Tokyo Game Show?

Promotion for Techno Motor I suppose (you can see the game cover in top left corner on the first picture, also the girls use the pad as an instrument in the same way you can use into the game)

set in Akihabara, as said in the tweet

Galdelico

^^^ Lol, perfect.
I'm looking forward to see Gaffers reporting back their hauls, on this and other retro threads. :D

Edit - Trying to find out what kind of contents come with the copy of Virtua Cop 1, bundled with the Virtua Gun in the Japanese Special Pack. According to Satakore, it doesn't have a spine card, but it's not clear if it still has the registration card and the SEGA Soft Information leaftlet, like the stand-alone release. Ebay auctions seem all over the place, I tried to ask around a bit, but no luck so far.
Any hardcore collector here can shed light on this? Thanks in advance!

MikeMyers

So after speaking to BKK about Sonic 1 vs 2 sales, I think 1 did sell more. The Youtube link Wikipedia uses has Shinobu Toyoda (Executive VP, Sega) saying Sega sold 15 million worth of bundled Sonic. Since Sonic 1 was bundled the most of the Sonic games, it would most likely be the best selling one.

Oh and apparently NFL '98 did sell over a million, which would mean a 1997 Genesis game sold better than every Saturn game in the US, lol.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One was bundled more aggressively than two, which was also a pretty heavily bundled game in the later years. The peak of Genesis's YOY sales corresponds with Sonic The Hedgehog as a pack in in the US at the very least.

Which one sold more as a single SKU? It's obviously 2. Which one moved more units? 1.

Five of these cost a dollar each... the other two, not so cheap. But average it out, and it's all good!

rfX356dl.jpg

Trying to find out what kind of contents come with the copy of Virtua Cop 1, bundled with the Virtua Gun in the Japanese Special Pack.

The copy in my gun pack only has the manual, but I bought it used so that doesn't really tell you much sorry!

MikeMyers

Dat Fighters Megamix pick up.

And yeah Sonic 1 definitely made the biggest impact of the Sonics.

Though I think if you take away bundling the best selling Genesis/Mega Drive game would probably be something like Mortal Kombat.

I was moving the cabinet it was on across the room by myself, it buckled a bit and the weight of the tv flattened the sides like collapsing dominoes! Broke a PS2 Hori Joystick at the same time, some of the wall too lol. Luckily no small children!

Galdelico

Five of these cost a dollar each... the other two, not so cheap. But average it out, and it's all good!

rfX356dl.jpg

Very nice looking haul, so much goodness in there.
Aside from the obvious heavyweights, I'm a huge fan of Steep Slope Sliders. I really enjoy its pace, and I love the wacky cast of characters.

Edit - How is K-1? I'd like a good 'realistic' fighting game - not wrestling related - on the Saturn. I tried Savaki but, aside from some interesting ideas, it didn't grab me that much.

The copy in my gun pack only has the manual, but I bought it used so that doesn't really tell you much sorry!

Thanks for checking, much appreciated. ^_-
According to Satakore, it doesn't seem to be anything else, aside from the manual for the game, and the instructions for the gun. But then again, checking it out on ebay is utterly confusing. I guess people used to mix things up alot, because you see bundles like yours, others with the the complete Virtua Cop (spine, reg card, even the promotional catalog), others with just random bits and pieces.

Im yet to play K-1, hopefully tonite! I also want Savaki one day. I actually have a second Virtua Gun which was standalone, but yeah it still comes with a tray with space for a game, so i store my Virtua Cop 2 regular release in there. Probably a lot of "sets" like that on Ebay, but the gun packaging is different at least.

Top Bottom