• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

cj_iwakura

I think my 10 year old Vizio LCD TV(which was good at both retro and modern stuff) bit the dust... any decentish LCDs I can find that are also good with retro in the $200 range?

colonyoo

Anyone have an SBOM Multitap or SBOM Controller?
2e58d2c675.jpg
One of the only really cool things I've got in my Saturn collection so far. I guess I'll take an opportunity to post some pics of the other cool thing I own, too:

MikeMyers

I was moving the cabinet it was on across the room by myself, it buckled a bit and the weight of the tv flattened the sides like collapsing dominoes! Broke a PS2 Hori Joystick at the same time, some of the wall too lol. Luckily no small children!
Damn.

I wonder when the insanely cheap Saturn games like import Fighters Megamix will start to get expensive.

IrishNinja

played/watched some Brain Dead 13 @ CJ's, and man that game's dope! if you love Dragon's Lair type FMV stuff, do not miss. wish idve hit it up before prices rose, but it's on my list now!

I'd definitely get it, although you rarely if ever need a sweater in South Florida.

preach

MikeMyers

Doubt many will care, but GameStop added Saturn to its retro list. I checked out the "best selling" because I was curious to what people were buying:

1.) Street Fighter Alpha 2
2.) Street Fighter Collecton
3.) Mega Man X4
4.) D
5.) Street Fighter: The Movie

Whole lot of Capcom.

Galdelico

Latest major pick-up, and most likely the last one until Christmas time.

FFR_zps48arsiby.png

Too good of a deal to be ignored, plus - even though it's not a very hot game - I still wanted it for many reasons, one of which being my personal quest to get every possible Japanese port/home version/spin-off of Final Fight, for the consoles I currently own. So - as for now - it goes there with Final Fight One (GBA), Final Fight CD (Mega-CD) and CAPCOM Classics Collection (PlayStation 2).
It looks like Streetwise didn't get released in Japan, so I'll probably keep up this mini-collection if I'll ever get a Famicom, a Super Famicom, or a Sharp X68000. :D

MikeMyers

Braind Dead 13 - $10
Mansion of Hidden Souls - $10
Three Dirty Dwarves - $30
Blazing Heroes - $15
Mr Bones - $15
C&C - $10

god knows if any of em would have cases (prolly not?) but i'd bite at a few of those!
I kinda want Street Fighter Collection but from what I remember apparently it isn't that great of a port?

Galdelico

It's still a decent port, has some issues though.

I believe it's still ok to recommend due to its superior port of Street Fighter Zero 2 Dash, right? Sure, if you're only interested in the Super SFII games, it's better to look at the PS version, instead.

Timu

I believe it's still ok to recommend due to its superior port of Street Fighter Zero 2 Dash, right?
Yeah that's true. Though load times are fast if you play on PS2 and set the disc read speed to fast, load times would go from 10 seconds to 3-5 with fast speed on.

MikeMyers

FFR_zps48arsiby.png

Too good of a deal to be ignored, plus - even though it's not a very hot game - I still wanted it for many reasons, one of which being my personal quest to get every possible Japanese port/home version/spin-off of Final Fight, for the consoles I currently own. So - as for now - it goes there with Final Fight One (GBA), Final Fight CD (Mega-CD) and CAPCOM Classics Collection (PlayStation 2).
It looks like Streetwise didn't get released in Japan, so I'll probably keep up this mini-collection if I'll ever get a Famicom, a Super Famicom, or a Sharp X68000. :D
Ooh nice. Let me know how it is. Game always looked hilarious to play.

leroidys

FFR_zps48arsiby.png

Oh mannn, one of the few terrible games that I wish I owned. I've seen the arcade board go for cheaper than the disc.

FFR_zps48arsiby.png

If only this game was a proper Final Fight, walking around streets beating the crap out of everyone!

Galdelico

Yeah that's true. Though load times are fast if you play on PS2 and set the disc read speed to fast, load times would go from 10 seconds to 3-5 with fast speed on.

That's pretty fast! If it doesn't glicht out, doing so (I remember other games acting kinda weird, with the textures and disc-speed settings changed from default values), it's another big plus for the PS1 Collection.

Ooh nice. Let me know how it is. Game always looked hilarious to play.

Sure thing, I plan to give it some time during the weekend, and I'm really looking forward to see how it plays. :D

Oh mannn, one of the few terrible games that I wish I owned. I've seen the arcade board go for cheaper than the disc.

I can't recommend it enough... Never be afraid of talking to the people who sell these wallet-killer games on eBay. If they are reliable, with a strong positive feedback, there's always a good chance to deal in private. During the current year I've got some truly fantastic prices, even compared to the lowest 'sold' auctions I coul find each time.
Aside from some proper untouchable grail - and more often than not - those frightening 300/400+ USD pricetags are there just to remind you that the game isn't cheap, but this doesn't mean they're not flexible.

If only this game was a proper Final Fight, walking around streets beating the crap out of everyone!

Eh. :D
Speaking of 2D side-scrolling 'street' brawlers, what's a good one to pick up for the Saturn? Aside from Crows - which honestly looks slow and clunky, to me, not really exciting in the slightest - I can only think of Nekkestu Oyako. Any other hidden gem in the genre?

Eh. :D
Speaking of 2D side-scrolling 'street' brawlers, what's a good one to pick up for the Saturn? Aside from Crows - which honestly looks slow and clunky, to me, not really exciting in the slightest - I can only think of Nekkestu Oyako. Any other hidden gem in the genre?

Capcom has a couple worth playing. Check out Dungeons and Dragons Collection or Tenchi wo Kurau 2. That said if you have Steam or an Xbox 360 or WiiU console there's a better port of D&D there, and if you have a PS3 there are 2 better ports on it, lol.

Galdelico

Capcom has a couple worth playing. Check out Dungeons and Dragons Collection or Tenchi wo Kurau 2. That said if you have Steam or an Xbox 360 or WiiU console there's a better port of D&D there, and if you have a PS3 there are 2 better ports on it, lol.

Yeah, I own D&D on the Saturn and - in spite of its shortcomings - I quite honestly love it, and prefer that version 1000 times over the Iron Galaxy outcome on XBLA/PSN (weird CRT filters, once again misplaced intro... Details, but still substantial stuff to me). I'm also aware of the better port on the Japanese PS3, which I'll buy eventually.
Not a huge fan of TwK2, though.

I was wondering about 2D street-themed brawlers, more like Bare Knuckle/Final Fight. Guess it's Nekketsu Oyaku or bust, on the Saturn.

MikeMyers

I believe it's still ok to recommend due to its superior port of Street Fighter Zero 2 Dash, right? Sure, if you're only interested in the Super SFII games, it's better to look at the PS version, instead.

Any reason to get Dash if you already own regular Zero 2? Cammy?

Galdelico

Cammy (which was added to the Sat/PS1 versions), plus:

- Alpha Counters now take 1.5 super meter bars instead of 1
- Six characters gained one additional move
- New game modes: Dramatic Battle, Survival Mode, and Shin Gouki Mode
- The Custom Combo command has changed from 2P+1K/2+1P to HP + HK
- Outfit colors are chosen by any P/K button and not combinations
- Even more EX characters than before (also, Evil Ryu)
- A new Sidearms win icon when you win by using a Taunt
- Various additional tweaks

(shamelessly copy-pasted from SFwiki)

Galdelico

I think Survival Mode is in regular Alpha 2.

Dramatic Mode might be fun, though.

Yeah, I guess the list pertains to the arcade game, since Cammy is mentioned as a 'console' exclusive extra.

Survival Mode was only featured in Saturn Zero 2 (as well as the art gallery).

Galdelico

Any good?

I always find myself enjoying the time I spend with the game. As other Gaffers reported in this thread, console SF The Movie is basically Super Street Fighter II X reskinned, even though there's still a tangible degree of wonkiness in the hit detection, and the fact you can charge your super in a few seconds pretty much breaks the game right off the bat.
That said, you don't get The Movie because you're looking for an alternative to SSFIIX, right? You get it for the cheese, and for it to be also quite playable is nothing than a big plus. :)

Shame it took such a heavy hit - visually - compared to the arcade. The stages can be ok on the whole, but the animations have been severely cut down, as well as sprites' size and detail.

D.Lo

Yeah it looks pretty bad, but plays better than the average fighter from that era. Like, better then 80% of fighters on SNES.

MikeMyers

Oh yeah MK2 on SNES turned out really good.

Too bad the Saturn version of MK2 isn't so hot. It's my favourite one.

EDIT: I have a feeling a lot of those Gamestop games wont ever be in stock, lol.

Laws00

theyve had sega saturn games online on gamestop for awhile

the thing is seeing if the stuff is actually viable to buy online

i want 2 Model 1 controllers for that price

Khaz

Is this a series that holds up well today?
I'd be curious to try some other early Saturn game, such as Baku Baku Animal and Bug!

Baku Baku is a very good puzzle game that I recommend to everybody. The European version was PAL-optimised to fill the screen, but I don't know if the speed was altered as well. It certainly didn't feel slow.

Bug is... Eh. A very early venture into the world of 3D platformers, which is interesting to try out if you're interested in history. The gameplay is internally good, as in it does well what it was set out to do, but it doesn't compare to anything that came after sadly. You need a very specific mindset to be able to enjoy it.

MikeMyers

Yeah Bug just looks...very aesthetically bland. Though I guess you can't be picky when Saturn doesn't have the best selecton of platformers available.

Teknoman

So just beat Panzer Dragoon Saga...and im still confused lol.

Spoilers in case:

I get that the player is
supposed to be the divine visitor of legend that the dragon is supposed to lead to end the ancient age, and i'm sure the series pre Orta goes in the sequence of 2 -> 1 -> Saga. So I guess this means that the dragon was reincarnated in 2 as a coolia (seen as a mutant coolia)
? Was the dragon's true form just
another part of Sestren network that controlled the ecosystem of the planet, but rebelled since it would have been more or less like living in a grand scale zoo (in a manner of words) for those it was supposed to "watch over"
? That ancient age style meets
angelic shape? Because it seems like the main brain of Sestren was that exact same shape when it "expelled" it
?

*Kinda strange that the credits are pretty much all in japanese aside from the final part*

So Azel
definitely survives, and of course shes looking for Edge...
but still, the ending left me with more questions than answers about the Ancients period.

Does Orta answer more of this stuff, and if so...must've sucked for fans to have to wait that long. Or was there something in the game I missed that would lead to a different ending scene?

Probably doesnt help that I own the Japanese version of Zwei. Read most of the files you find along the way in Saga.

I liked the journey (got lost in the last tower section abit though, and wish there were more actual towns) but i've got the same feeling when finishing Xenogears. I thought I was following along then bam lol.

EDIT: I guess the more I sit and think about it, the events of the first 3 games make sense now. How the first game ended with one of the towers, Shelcoof airship and the Guardian Dragon from the second...

So my Skeleton Saturn CD lens has gone

I'm planning to change it but I wonder which Saturn model I should look at, maybe the model 2 white one?
Or any cd drive model can be used? I have a grey Model 1 and I noticed they are different, even if I didn't check if that one can fit into model 2

Top Bottom