• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

IrishNinja

B-but I like those highly stylized arcade conversions!

+1

I don't know about "success" but I do feel Xbox was the worst platform for it to be exclusive to. Same goes for Jet Set Radio Future.

Sega fucked up in general by throwing exclusives around 5 different platforms at the time. Fragmenting their base.

ehhh people say this a lot, but i think it was pretty cool of them to let each team decide which platform they wanted to work on. obviously, xbox ended up with the lion's share but some gems went other places.

MikeMyers

Well I think VF4 on PS2 was a moneyhat. I'd have to look it up.

Would have liked to see it as a multiplat so it could have had more exposure.

D.Lo

Come to think about it I wonder if Orta sold more than Saga?
Depends on the definition of sold really. They almost certainly printed more copies of it, but most were probably liquidated.

I got my copy for $1, along with an AU$50 (US$25 at the time) brand new Xbox shortly after the system was discontinued.

MikeMyers

Well I compared them because even before Saga had a limited run in the west, it was kinda a commercial failure in Japan, right? Not saying Saga is a bad game or anything, just curious.

I compared Xbox's biggest market (US) to Saturn's biggest market (JPN):

Saga: 95,000 in Japan
Orta: 130,000 in US

But as pointed out, these could just be liquidated sales, and to be fair the US Xbox userbase is bigger than the JPN Saturn one.

Galdelico

Just received my import copies of Darius Gaiden and SF Zero 2 (this one I've bought again for better conditions and completeness' sake), and already eyeing a nice looking Elan Doree, for the next shopping spree. This game keeps tempting me, every time I stumble upon one, but I can't really figure out if it's good or not. Any feedback, Saturn-GAF?

Well I think VF4 on PS2 was a moneyhat. I'd have to look it up.

Would have liked to see it as a multiplat so it could have had more exposure.

VF4 might've looked arcade perfect on GCN or Xbox hardware instead of taking the graphical compormises for the PS2 release.

Game was a huge success on PS2 though.

MattyH

just about to replace my saturn battery but i cant leave it set up perm right now am i okay to replace the battery and put it away till i come to use it again

just about to replace my saturn battery but i cant leave it set up perm right now am i okay to replace the battery and put it away till i come to use it again

If you don't have any game saves on it you need it to save right now I would just hold off on replacing the battery till you can have it set up. Not that you couldn't but you're basically draining the battery for no reason if you put it in now.

D.Lo

I don't know about "success" but I do feel Xbox was the worst platform for it to be exclusive to. Same goes for Jet Set Radio Future.

Sega fucked up in general by throwing exclusives around 5 different platforms at the time. Fragmenting their base.
I always hate this, I hated when Konami spread Castlevania everywhere in the early 90s (from 1993 seven Castlevania games on seven different platforms in a row!) and I hated the way Sega did it too and still do.

Each team got to decide which platform they wanted to work on, after Sega went third-party. (Can't find source right now.)

Not sure it was the wisest decision to let the development teams make the business decisions, but it's not like Sega's leadership was making steller choices at the time, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've never heard that before, please post if you find the source. It doesn't really seem to add up, because they seem to have been market targeted. Gamecube got the kiddy games (ugh), PS2 got the mainstream games, and Xbox got the 'hardcore' games.

Though they were straight back to dumb decisions pretty quick, several games were big successes on the Gamecube, but instead of trying more franchises on the platform, they make its successful games multiplatform (Sonic, Phantasy Star, Monkey Ball) but Gamecube never got a chance at Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon, or Virtua Fighter (except for that POS VF Quest) even though IMO GCN was the closest console ecosystem to the DC, and those games would have filled out gaps in the console's library and likely done very well.

KC-Slater

I've never heard that before, please post if you find the source. It doesn't really seem to add up, because they seem to have been market targeted. Gamecube got the kiddy games (ugh), PS2 got the mainstream games, and Xbox got the 'hardcore' games.

Though they were straight back to dumb decisions pretty quick, several games were big successes on the Gamecube, but instead of trying more franchises on the platform, they make its successful games multiplatform (Sonic, Phantasy Star, Monkey Ball) but Gamecube never got a chance at Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon, or Virtua Fighter (except for that POS VF Quest) even though IMO GCN was the closest console ecosystem to the DC, and those games would have filled out gaps in the console's library and likely done very well.

I'm still searching for the original source I read this in, but I have found a couple other sources that seem to corroborate that the individual studios seems to have some autonomy over which hardware they developed for post-Dreamcast. IGN and SegaBits

It sounds like the XBOX was the easiest thing to port stuff over to, due to Microsoft having Direct X libraries or whatever available in the DC. It also seems to line-up that Smilebit produced software for the XBOX, Amusement Vision for the GameCube, Hitmaker predominiantly on PS2, and Sonic Team hedge(hogging) their bets over all three consoles.

If you look at the sales trends and the timing of the releases, this autonomy was short lived, with the PS2 eventually getting the lion's share of attention after it was proven sales success story.

IrishNinja

I always hate this, I hated when Konami spread Castlevania everywhere in the early 90s (from 1993 seven Castlevania games on seven different platforms in a row!) and I hated the way Sega did it too and still do.

id read it before on Eidolon's Inn when that was around, i wanna say...it was cited, too. Naka went with the GC, Suzuki's team the PS2 etc i wanna say.

also, looking back i'm glad CV went all over the place, we got such different entries but not limiting it to one platform.

D.Lo

also, looking back i'm glad CV went all over the place, we got such different entries but not limiting it to one platform.
I was a huge fan of the series and loved playing through and collecting every entry of series. It might seem cool in retrospect as a retro gamer but as a fan in the mid 90s I had to buy an insanely expensive PC Engine Duo to play the best game in my favourite series. It was a nightmare, and it helped kill the brand in my opinion. The series stopped being a huge deal (and became a niche) because nobody except the super rich or insane could collie it fully.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
VF4 might've looked arcade perfect on GCN or Xbox hardware instead of taking the graphical compormises for the PS2 release.

Game was a huge success on PS2 though.

Imagining a "720p" OGXB port of VF4EVO ala Soul Calibur II makes me cry everytime.

I think once I've got VF3 up and running I'll buy a SEGA NAOMI 2 kit.

oneida

I support this. More people need to get on the consolized Naomi bandwagon!

Here's my controller :)

CeAdWl5XEAE32UM.jpg

KC-Slater

Here's my controller :)

CeAdWl5XEAE32UM.jpg

Nice! That will be perfect for 90% of the non-driving Naomi games available. When you are ready to take the plunge, PM me if you have any questions about the setup. I had to scour a bunch of sources to get all the info I needed, but now that I know what I'm doing, it's pretty straight forward.

oneida

With the perfect arcade port of VF2 on 360/PS3, do you still play the Saturn version oneida or just the arcade version?

I just play the Saturn version these days because my 360 has been decommissioned as of September 15th when VF5FS hit BC.

I could go on and on about the Saturn port of VF2, I absolutely love that conversion anyway. It's a shame the winpose glitch doesn't truly work on Saturn:

tumblr_nx2dcb4SlH1slig2vo1_500.gif

(On Saturn, the glitch technically works, but the character just freezes in their neutral stance)

kunonabi

My copies of VF2 and VF Kids came in today. VF 2 even managed to come with the VF2 disc this time instead of KoF 96.

Man, I don't know what it is but I love the way the Saturn displays colors. VF Kids just looks absolutely gorgeous. I think I honestly prefer going back to Saturn games these days than PS1 or N64 games.

Anyway, that brings me up to 26 Saturn titles with another 18 I plan to grab.

I remember them too. My oldest haunt will always be Miss Haruna's Classroom, though.

Or if you really want to take it back, usenet's Sega board, haha.

Oh god, r.g.v.s.... I remember people giving Vic Ireland shit all the time becuase they thought he was trolling about the Dreamcast dying. Sorry Vic, we didn't know.

I posted there a few times from what I recall. Good times, good times.

oneida

My copies of VF2 and VF Kids came in today. VF 2 even managed to come with the VF2 disc this time instead of KoF 96.

Man, I don't know what it is but I love the way the Saturn displays colors. VF Kids just looks absolutely gorgeous. I think I honestly prefer going back to Saturn games these days than PS1 or N64 games.

Anyway, that brings me up to 26 Saturn titles with another 18 I plan to grab.
put VF Kids in your car stereo. i really like shun's theme.

Galdelico

Whats the loading like in the saturn marvel super heroes game like?
Are the animations 1=1 of the arcade?

Unfortunately no, they aren't. Too bad it got released right before the 4 megs RAM cart became a reality for CAPCOM ports. Even with the extra 1MB support, it remains noticeably behind the arcade original (see Juggarnaut's walk animation, for example).

Galdelico

Dang that sucks what about xmen cota and xvsf?

CotA suffers even more from cut animations. I'd say it's basically in the same league of Vampire Hunter. When you look at how the characters move in the select screen (where they sport all the frames), compared to the actual gameplay, you can tell the difference. They're not bad ports - even less unplayable games - but if you know the arcade originals well and look for accurate animations, you'll be surely disappointed.

X-Men vs Street Fighter, on the other hand, is pretty much arcade perfect.

Galdelico

Akiman and Bengus
the GOD
, right?

They're still solid and perfectly enjoyable ports, anyway. Just don't expect the same animations seen in the arcade games.

entremet

Akiman and Bengus
the GOD
, right?

They're still solid and perfectly enjoyable ports, anyway. Just don't expect the same animations seen in the arcade games.

Kinda bummed we didn't get COTA on XBLA/PSN like MSH.

It started it all!

I do prefer MSH, but I would've loved a legit port of the COTA without having to resort to emulation.

Galdelico

Same here. Even though Iron Galaxy ports/emulations have always been kinda funky, I would've loved an X-Men CotA/vs.SF collection. I still play XBLA Marvel Super Heroes today, pretty much every time I turn the console on. :)

Galdelico

BS sells for $90 now?

It can sell for even more than that.
It's a tricky game, if you look at it as a collector. There's a first print, and also a Satakore budget re-release, which diversifies the price to begin with. On top of that, the original print - along with the usual spine card - comes with a registration card and a poster as well, so a used copy with all included can command a noticeably higher price, compared to a disc and manual only set. Speaking of which, the first print has the front cover glued to the jewel case, and it's not uncommon to find copies on ebay that look quite nasty nowadays (so one still in good/very good conditions, once again, can be sold for bigger money).

It can sell for even more than that.
It's a tricky game, if you look at it as a collector. There's a first print, and also a Satakore budget re-release, which diversifies the price to begin with. On top of that, the original print - along with the usual spine card - comes with a registration card and a poster as well, so a used copy with all included can command a noticeably higher price, compared to a disc and manual only set. Speaking of which, the first print has the front cover glued to the jewel case, and it's not uncommon to find copies on ebay that look quite nasty nowadays (so one still in good/very good conditions, once again, can be sold for bigger money).

I was always curious about that. Is it really glue, or is it some sort of defective ink that fuses to the jewel case over time?

Top Bottom