• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I've gotten a few scratched games over the years... BUG! refuses to load the last couple of stages, most notably, but Clockwork Knight 2's ending video skips and Mega Man X4 has some audio skips, too. I've recently wondered what I could do to effectively solve that; IIRC some enthusiast stores do resurfacing (or at least that thing where they grind away at the disc to remove the more superficial scratches).

There are some places around here that I can go to get discs resurfaced; I'll absolutely give it a shot if this second disc doesn't play. Worse case scenario, I bought a mint copy of PDZ and a coaster for $40.

Flink

Yeah, Gamerz is still open and thriving from the looks. They're prices are pretty outrageous on Nintendo items. You can find some OK deals on Sony/Sega/Microsoft shelves though. I had no idea the owner was formerly a co-owner of Gamefellas.

It's kinda weird how close together two Gamefellas are. Isn't there one by the old HEB off of 183, and then another in the Anderson Mill shopping center? That's like, what, a mile apart?

I miss the old Northcross Gamefellas. As cool as that area is becoming now, I do miss the old creepy Northcross Mall. Good times.

It's kinda weird how close together two Gamefellas are. Isn't there one by the old HEB off of 183, and then another in the Anderson Mill shopping center? That's like, what, a mile apart?

I miss the old Northcross Gamefellas. As cool as that area is becoming now, I do miss the old creepy Northcross Mall. Good times.

Truth, I used to drive up from SA to go visit that store. Now within the vicinity of it is Game Over, which is still a nice visit, and Pinballz. But man that store. Barton Creek's Gamefellas was great too back in the heyday.

San Antonio sadly hasn't been so lucky. Glad to have Game Over at least, but I miss the old days of Game World.

ZeroCDR

I bought a Panzer Dragoon Zwei on eBay a few months ago. It has a deep scratch but all it seems to affect is the intro movie, which will reset the Saturn unless I skip it. Works great otherwise. Love that game.

My Saturn collection:

Games you can't see:
Battle Stations
Blazing Heroes
Command & Conquer
Contra Legacy of War
Courier Crisis
Darius Gaiden
Daytona USA
Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition
Die Hard Arcade
Fighting Vipers
Ghen War
Lunacy
Road Rash
Sega Rally Championship
Shinobi Legions
Skeleton Warriors
Three Dirty Dwarves
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Virtua Cop
Virtua Figher

Get Dark Savior.

oneida

How comprehensive is this Saturn Sega Ages list at wiki? Is this all of them?

I was thinking about making it my next collecting goal to get them since they seem fairly cheap. I do have Fantasy Zone already. But there are those two puzzle collections which seem to spoil it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Ages

Yes that is all of them.

As a fun side note, the Yu Suzuki Game Works vol. 1 tribute book includes a Dreamcast disc containing Hang-On, Space Harrier, OutRun, After Burner II and Power Drift.

DasDamen

I've gotten a few scratched games over the years... BUG! refuses to load the last couple of stages, most notably, but Clockwork Knight 2's ending video skips and Mega Man X4 has some audio skips, too. I've recently wondered what I could do to effectively solve that; IIRC some enthusiast stores do resurfacing (or at least that thing where they grind away at the disc to remove the more superficial scratches).

Whenever you get a game, hold the disc up to a light to see if there are any scratches on the label side of the disc. If you see scratches or pinholes through the reflective layer (and they're where the data is), send it back immediately.

Scratches on the underside of the disc can always be remedied with resurfacing, and resurfacing will always be cheaper than covering the shipping costs of returning a game.

DasDamen

Way way more common. A few years back it was like 15$ now I paid 22$ with spine card included.

If anyone buys it, it does not load directly with the action replay, you have to use this code:

Master:

F6000914 C305
B6002800 0000

Code:

06002ED0 0009

Found it yesterday here.

Another pro-tip is to name the game with a comma preceding the name. That way, it'll always be at the top of the list.

Whenever you get a game, hold the disc up to a light to see if there are any scratches on the label side of the disc. If you see scratches or pinholes through the reflective layer (and they're where the data is), send it back immediately.

Scratches on the underside of the disc can always be remedied with resurfacing, and resurfacing will always be cheaper than covering the shipping costs of returning a game.
While I'll bear that in mind for future purchases, I bought all the mentioned games in like 2004/2005 :V

Yes Boss!

Yes that is all of them.

As a fun side note, the Yu Suzuki Game Works vol. 1 tribute book includes a Dreamcast disc containing Hang-On, Space Harrier, OutRun, After Burner II and Power Drift.

Ima gonna go for them. A nice little collection to go for 2013.

Doesn't Panzer Zwei support 2 mission sticks simultaneously for dual analog control?

Yes it does. Buy both of them, and play the game with true dual analog control! Just remember how to hook the two up (separate the stick and base of the second stick, attach it to the other side of the first stick's base unit, and plug the stick part into the "Sub Control" port on the bottom of the base unit, then plug the base unit into the Saturn).

I think it does. And wasn't there a mech game that supported a dual anlog setup?

No, you're thinking of Virtual-On, which uses the Twinstick, which is completely different from two Mission Sticks attached together. I think that the twinstick for Virtual-On is actually digital, not analog like the Mission Stick is...

No, you're thinking of Virtual-On, which uses the Twinstick, which is completely different from two Mission Sticks attached together. I think that the twinstick for Virtual-On is actually digital, not analog like the Mission Stick is...

Nope, definitely not thinking of VO. Quite familiar with that game and the twin stick protocol. ;)

I thought it might be Ghen War, but I think that game only supports a single stick setup. I think there's a hidden option menu that gives you a proper Mission Stick configuration.

Nope, definitely not thinking of VO. Quite familiar with that game and the twin stick protocol. ;)

I thought it might be Ghen War, but I think that game only supports a single stick setup. I think there's a hidden option menu that gives you a proper Mission Stick configuration.

I've only ever heard of PD Zwei, for games that support the twin Mission Stick. If there's another one, I'd love to know what it is!

As for Ghen War, it does have an option that moves around the button mappings to put them on the right place with a Mission Stick, which is nice, but the game but doesn't actually support analog -- the game does not support proportional control even with the Mission Stick, annoyingly. Most games with Mission Stick support do, but that one's an exception.

I think I'm just mistaken. The more I think about it, I'm pretty sure I mixed up the hidden Ghen War configuration with a non-existent dual Mission Stick mech game. *sigh*

I'm pretty sure Zwei is it then.

images
Ordered some Irem games. I got Gussun Oyoyo S (pictured), Irem Arcade Classics (SAT), and In the Hunt (PS1). All were $10 or under.

Gussun Oyoyo is a pretty cool arcade game. It's a cross between Tetris and Lemmings. You have to build a way to the exit for a little baby guy. It gets really difficult. Luckily there's a code for level select to make up for lack of saving.

IrishNinja

^IREM arcade classics sounds awesome, gonna have to look that one up

welp, thanks to BocoDragon's help, i just ordered an XRGB mini, just waiting on some good SCART RGB's & adapters to go up for sale - figure i just got that Saturn i'd wanted back in '95 (only this one's modded to be region-free) so it looks like i'll finally get a chance to explore the system's library, the best way possible! can't wait.

So, I was watching an episode of the Pet Girl of Sakurasou on Hulu (episode 6, to be specific, when this popped up about 9 minutes in:

I thought you guys might get a kick out of it. I certainly did. I went "YES!!!" when I saw it. I love my Sega Saturn and my Japanese copy of Fighting Vipers, so I got pretty excited when I saw it. Haha. And yes, you do get to hear the female announcer say "Fighting Vipers" at the title screen, and you can hear the game's music if you listen carefully.

I also saw a Neo Geo and Samurai Shodown II in the previous episode, and you can also see that there's also Super Famicom and an Xbox under the TV in both episodes. The opening scene from the first episode also had music from After Burner in it.

Ha, that's cool.

Sega Saturns cameo in Neon Genesis Evangelion all the time (Sega was doing the action figures for the show). The Dreamcast pops up in that Forbidden Kingdom movie with Jackie Chan and Jet Li. And there's an older Chan movie (can't remember the name) where a crime boss is playing a bootleg of MegaDrive Tetris.

cj_iwakura

Oddly enough Resident Evil has easily been the least popular Saturn title we've picked. I guess we should do an exclusive next month. :p

So, I was watching an episode of the Pet Girl of Sakurasou on Hulu (episode 6, to be specific, when this popped up about 9 minutes in:

I thought you guys might get a kick out of it. I certainly did. I went "YES!!!" when I saw it. I love my Sega Saturn and my Japanese copy of Fighting Vipers, so I got pretty excited when I saw it. Haha. And yes, you do get to hear the female announcer say "Fighting Vipers" at the title screen, and you can hear the game's music if you listen carefully.

I also saw a Neo Geo and Samurai Shodown II in the previous episode, and you can also see that there's also Super Famicom and an Xbox under the TV in both episodes. The opening scene from the first episode also had music from After Burner in it.

Great show. The main character's ringtone is the theme from Outrun too.

I've never played(and I don't own) any of those, but I'd like to try Legend of Oasis.

Legend of Oasis is fantastic. Go for it.

Great show. The main character's ringtone is the theme from Outrun too.

Oh? I've watched the first nine episodes, but I haven't heard his ringtone yet. I've only heard his phone's alarm tone, which was from the opening scene of the show, and that was the After Burner music I mentioned before. I'm looking forward to more game references. I also saw the Saturn pop up again in episode 7, with a cartridge in the slot. I'm not sure if the cartridge was for extra RAM or save memory, though...and they didn't show what game was being played that time.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the show so far. Gonna watch episode 10 now.

EDIT: Just got to episode 13 and heard his ringtone...Splash Wave! Hell yeah! I have Magical Sound Shower as one of my contact ringtones, but I've thought about making Splash Wave my default...my current default is the invincibility power up music from Sonic Adventure.

oneida

I just called the comic shop to have them hold the second mission stick for me...

I feel kinda silly...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Anyplace where I can get a cheapish white Japanese Saturn? I've been thinking about jumping into Saturn stuff since I've never had one before (or even touched one.)

Dragon Force:

Okay so is it possible to capture Zanon in the Wein campaign, even if you use Wein himself? I beat him with an army led by Wein and he still escaped. I'm about to say screw it and just let him have his castle back.

Risette

A Good Citizen

There's also a copy of Dodonpachi Daioujou on the floor in EP1. True hardcore gamer.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Is DF2 still stuck on the script? I may know some people.
I literally haven't been involved with that project in years, so I wouldn't know.

The last build I played was at least complete enough to allow you to play through the whole game without difficulty.

Sixfortyfive

The best campaign is Goldark's but you can't play it until you beat the game once anyway.

Just finish Wein's.

Sixfortyfive

Wait, no, I think Gongos was my favorite. But I don't think you can appreciate that one until you play through at least one or two other campaigns first. The Bozack campaign is basically the comedy/parody version of the game.

Mikhal's is the worst because it's pretty obvious that they left his campaign-specific plot thread unfinished.

Credo

The first time I played Dragon Force, I played as Wein. Before I could finish, some new game came out and I quit playing it. When I finally came back to the game, I restarted as Junon and played all the way through until the end.

Junon > Wein

Top Bottom