• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Mikhal

<3 Dragon Force talk.

I also started off with Wein when I played back in the day due to him being on the cover. It's only natural to want to start off with the main character to get the "main" story before branching off into other people, I guess.

My favorite campaigns are Goldark -> Gongos -> Junon (Sonic Dragon!) -> Mikhal -> Leon -> Wein -> Reinhart -> Teiris

Mikhal's is the worst because it's pretty obvious that they left his campaign-specific plot thread unfinished.

Did they do anything about that in Sega Ages: Dragon Force?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Did a search through the thread and didn't find much...is there still no way to play Saturn games in OS X? The emulation scene looks so awful...

It's a shame that updates to it have seemingly stopped, though, because there are definitely issues still abound, including ones with games it could emulate fine in earlier versions (Clockwork Knight 2 crashes when loading the main game's menu; Rayman has all input on turbo; BUG!'s background spasms; Daytona USA is really really quiet for some reason).

IrishNinja

I'm not sure the full amount of games, well over 150, but I can tell you in the process, I got an MSX2 with about 20 games, including contra, Castlevania, Space Manbow, Aleste, Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, and SD snatcher, along with some translation carts and a FDD.

6nDio.png

Some of those 115 purchases were of multiple games at once, though.

Made for an awesome 2 months, though. Every day was like christmas, getting a new package every day.

jesus shit
i must've done about a grand and a half of damage with the recent framemeister pickup, but that's incredible
the worst part is all the stuff i pulled before singing up for ebay bucks (;_;)

televator

Thanks to the BST thread here on GAF, I'm the happy new owner of Panzer Dragoon. Now I have PD 1&2. All I need is a mission stick so I can dive into Panzer Dragoon nirvana.

I think this may be already covered in this thread, but what is the concensus about the Saturn port of Resident Evil? Better/worse than PS1 version? I want to replay the series, and was thinking about giving the Saturn version a go.

I think this may be already covered in this thread, but what is the concensus about the Saturn port of Resident Evil? Better/worse than PS1 version? I want to replay the series, and was thinking about giving the Saturn version a go.

I don't have an answer for you right now, but I think a few GAF members are playing through it right now actually, try asking this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532800

hlhbk

Probably the best thing I ever won on eBay was the entire Panzer Dragoon series (including a like new copy of Saga and orta) for $110

Noahd42

Banned
Does anyone have a decent list of worth Saturn SHMUPS? Preferably North American release and affordable. I saw Saturnology's episode on Galactic Attack and the genre has captured my interest for a while now.

Does anyone have a decent list of worth Saturn SHMUPS? Preferably North American release and affordable. I saw Saturnology's episode on Galactic Attack and the genre has captured my interest for a while now.

Galactic Attack is probably as affordable as you're going to get. Thankfully it's also one of the best. We also got Darius Gaiden in the West and I don't think prices have gotten out of control on that one either.

Uh, other than that... that's really it for USA Saturn shmups unless you count the Super Scalers in the Working Designs Sega Ages release.

If you're looking for inexpensive NA released shmups from that era, you are probably better off looking for them on Playstation.

I have Darius Gaiden on PS2's Taito Legends 2, never played the others. DG is amazing.

Having a Saturn copy would be kind of neat.

Galactic Attack should also be on Taito Legends 2. There it's listed as "Rayforce".

Saturn Versions are indeed preferable to the Taito Legends release, since that one is 480i only. Looks blurry compared to the 240p Saturn versions on my Trinitron.

cj_iwakura

Galactic Attack should also be on Taito Legends 2. There it's listed as "Rayforce".

Saturn Versions are indeed preferable to the Taito Legends release, since that one is 480i only. Looks blurry compared to the 240p Saturn versions on my Trinitron.

Still, for $14.99, it's probably the best shmup anthology imaginable.

I can think of at least 3. Galactic Attack, Darius Gaiden, and In the Hunt.

That's pretty much it, for traditional shmups released in the US, and of those In the Hunt really isn't very good, as I've said before... get the much better PS1 version. Darius Gaiden and Galactic Attack are great and well worth getting, though!

Europe got several more shmups than the US did (they got the Parodius collection and Darius II, and maybe one more), but for the US... thin selection, that's for sure. There are a lot of US Saturn games where you shoot things, but those are the only traditional shmups. Though Tempest 2000 (tube shooter) and the US-released rail shooters, such as Panzer Dragoon, PD Zwei, Space Harrier and After Burner in Sega Ages, and such are related too. (Freeroam 3d shooters are an entirely different thing.)

But yeah, apart from the US ones, most other Saturn shmups are pricey. There are no cheap import Saturn shmups. It's annoying.

Taito Legends 2 does not have Galactic Attack in it. It has RayStorm, the second game, but not RayForce, the first one. I believe that one of the Japan-only PS2 Taito collections may have RayForce in it, but neither one of the Western-released collections do. The Saturn version is still the only Western-released home system version of the game.

Taito Legends 2 does, however, have Darius Gaiden in it. And yeah, it's a great collection... as long as you don't care that it has no tate support, which really ruins a lot of the games versus the Saturn versions. Darius Gaiden, RayStorm, and G-Darius (among others) are horizontal games, though, so that doesn't affect them.

Makes me glad I filled in 99% of my import Saturn Shump collection back in 2000, when the interest was low and people were dumping their collections. Only Hyper Dual and Sexy Parodius are on my wants list now.

woodypop

I may be alone in this, but I actually like the slowdown in the Saturn version of In The Hunt. It lets me absorb all the details in the animations. =)

televator

Sega Pluto. Got to admit that seeing it doesn't have me as excited as I thought I'd be before clicking the link. It's cool I guess. Still prefer the model 2 Saturn.

Saturn was a system that I was never really able to get into. By the time I was able to get back to gaming after the 16 bit era it was like 1998 when the playstation was getting a ton of great things so ended up using my little money for that. Recently I've been wanting to go back though the system I missed with my now disposable income.

So basically I wanted to know if there is anything I should look out for when buying a used Saturn, and the version differences? Guess I should say that I would be ntsc, not that I know how much a difference that would make to the system versions. Thanks for any help.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
All the DF talk a couple days ago got me to start a new save file.

fandaria.png

Always enjoyed picking them off one-by-one after boxing all of them in... Not that it makes sense for Goldark to do it any other way, for obvious reasons if you've played through it.

So basically I wanted to know if there is anything I should look out for when buying a used Saturn, and the version differences? Guess I should say that I would be ntsc, not that I know how much a difference that would make to the system versions. Thanks for any help.
Oval buttons = model 1 Saturn
Circular buttons = model 2 Saturn

Black = USA/PAL
Gray = model 1 JPN
White = model 2 JPN

Unless something has changed in the past decade, I believe the 2nd model is generally preferred for modding (regardless of region). It was easier to find chips for that one back when I was looking for them.

The 2nd version of the standard official controller is also much preferred overall to the 1st version that the USA and PAL regions received. (The "inferior" controller was never released in Japan in the first place.)

The easiest way to play imports is to obtain a "Pro Action Replay 4-in-1 Plus." It provides import capability, 1MB and 4MB RAM expansions for games that utilize it, and additional backup memory (although somewhat more cumbersome than 1st party carts). Be warned that the Saturn's cartridge slot is notoriously prone to wear and tear, though. The pins get pushed apart real easily over time and it can take some effort to get the system to read any cart you plug into it after a while.

The system clock and internal memory are powered by a watch battery in the rear compartment. If you're prompted to set the date and time when powering on the system, that means you need a new battery. These typically last anywhere from 1 to 3 years in my experience. To prevent save data from being wiped out during a battery change, you can back it up to a cartridge beforehand... or try your luck at changing the battery while the system is powered on I guess.

Kainazzo

Six gave a nice overview, so I'll just reiterate and suggest you purchase this; it unlocks a ton of useful functionality, the best being making your system region free.

As he also said, you'll want to backup your console memory to the flashcard regularly; it dies with your system battery. It's also easy to fill up the console's 512kb limit; my Nights file is 277kb for some reason. The memory card mentioned holds 8mb, which should be plenty for most users. One last thing: if you get a Japanese Saturn, a US copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga will not boot without an Action Replay code. I don't know of any other game that requires this.

What I'm curious about though is the supposed 'weak' cartridge slot. Granted, I've only removed it ~20 times in over a decade, but it feels solid. Either way, unless you want to play King of Fighters or use the modem, you'll want to just keep it inserted at all times. The memory card uses flash memory, so there's no battery to ever replace. The system battery, however, will need regular changing. Thankfully, it's slotted, and very simple to do.

Thanks a ton for the info. Time to hit up ebay and craigslist. Think I have a few lists of worthwhile games laying around to try to pick out some of the cheaper ones to give a try first.

What I'm curious about though is the supposed 'weak' cartridge slot. Granted, I've only removed it ~20 times in over a decade, but it feels solid. Either way, you'll want to just keep it inserted at all times, unless you want to play King of Fighters. The memory card uses flash memory, so there's no battery to ever replace.

Was just going to ask about this. That if there is a reason to ever remove the cart if I get one, and if leaving it in all the time is what causes the problem with reading it.

Also is there a reason to get the thing you linked, listed as an Action Replay 3 in 1 plus, over the 4 in 1 plus that he mentioned? Also think I would have to get balls deep before worrying if I can play Panzer Dragoon Saga. Would be going for US version of the system and the game anyway though.

Top Bottom