• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Speaking of Panzer Dragoon Saga and the Action Replay 4M Plus cartridge...the game always makes me remove the cartridge in order to play it. Any idea if there's a way around that, perhaps?

Besides that, though, I highly recommend getting one. It's a such a great accessory with so many different, and very useful, features.

Anyway, I think I might import a few more Saturn games in the very near future. So far, I've only imported Fighting Vipers and Samurai Shodown III, both of which I got around...7 or so years ago. I think the next games will be X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Puyo Puyo Tsu/2 and Sun/3, all of which I keep seeing for ridiculously low prices on eBay lately. I may end up getting a Japanese copy of Burning Rangers, too, since the US version is way too high priced for me.

What I'm curious about though is the supposed 'weak' cartridge slot. Granted, I've only removed it ~20 times in over a decade, but it feels solid. Either way, unless you want to play King of Fighters or use the modem, you'll want to just keep it inserted at all times. .

The metal on the connecting pins is weak and likely to bend with too much use so as not to make a good connection. Like the front loading NES has the same issue. I never found this with my Saturn though and I used memory,1M, Rom and 4M cards often.

Kainazzo

Speaking of Panzer Dragoon Saga and the Action Replay 4M Plus cartridge...the game always makes me remove the cartridge in order to play it. Any idea if there's a way around that, perhaps?

Besides that, though, I highly recommend getting one. It's a such a great accessory with so many different, and very useful, features.

Anyway, I think I might import a few more Saturn games in the very near future. So far, I've only imported Fighting Vipers and Samurai Shodown III, both of which I got around...7 or so years ago. I think the next games will be X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Puyo Puyo Tsu/2 and Sun/3, all of which I keep seeing for ridiculously low prices on eBay lately. I may end up getting a Japanese copy of Burning Rangers, too, since the US version is way too high priced for me.

Yes, you can play Panzer Dragoon Saga with the Action Replay inserted, but you need to run a code:
Master:

F6000914 C305
B6002800 0000

Code:

06002EB0 0009 (this is for booting the US/PAL version, the JP one is 06002ED0 0009).

Seeing the Japanese library really puts the Saturn in a whole new league. I think now I may actually have more Japanese games than NA ones. As always, I want to thank this thread for helping me discover the joys of Bulk Slash. That game's like the Saturn equivalent of Star Fox 64 with how addicted to it I am.

cj_iwakura

All the DF talk a couple days ago got me to start a new save file.

fandaria.png

Always enjoyed picking them off one-by-one after boxing all of them in... Not that it makes sense for Goldark to do it any other way, for obvious reasons if you've played through it.

No joke, stubborn fools.

I need to finish my J-PSN/PS2 run as Tristan to take on those uber bosses.

Hightower

Banned
I've been kinda nuts in building my collection.

Much to my wife's eye rolling... I've now got just over 50 games and always looking for more. Scouring Ebay for lots, cheap imports...

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Now I shouldn't have a reason to ever remove the cartridge again. :)

I kind of want to get a JP Saturn to save me the trouble of going through the Action Replay menu EVERY DAMN TIME I boot up the system. Having a US and JP console is extraneous, sure, but after years that menu is really starting to get to me.

I kind of want to get a JP Saturn to save me the trouble of going through the Action Replay menu EVERY DAMN TIME I boot up the system. Having a US and JP console is extraneous, sure, but after years that menu is really starting to get to me.

Yeah, this led me to eventually buying myself an import Saturn. I got a white one because it was cheaper, but I would have preferred the gray model 1. Luckily my White Saturn plays Outrun fine, so I must have one of the later prints on the game.

Dave Long

Banned
I agree that having to go through the menu each time is a pain, but unless I could get a really cheap JP Saturn AND FIND ROOM FOR IT, I think I'll stick with the menu. I don't even have room for everything right now as it is!

It helps that I only have 3 North American Saturn games, lol. The American Saturn is packed away and I have my import one connected to the TV.

oneida

It helps that I only have 3 North American Saturn games, lol. The American Saturn is packed away and I have my import one connected to the TV.
I'm trying to buy US when it's available and not patently inferior to the JP version (such as the Sega AGES releases, in which case JP is superior). Long boxes are strange and unattractive, but somehow appealing despite (or because of?) that. I like that the spines are wide and white; you can see a Saturn game on a shelf from a mile away. They command attention!

Fragility aside, I don't mind the Saturn/Sega CD long boxes either. If Saturn games were easier to find locally, I'd probably have way more North American games.

Kids, Region-Free BIOS is the way to go. All OEM RAM/Backup carts + King of Fighters 95 + any region in one console = The One True Path. Stop twaddling with the AR cart before you go blind.

Hah. I can see how some might find it annoying. I don't mind it at all...plus, I have to use it to manage my saves, anyway. I do find having to set the language, time, and date every time I turn my console on a bit annoying, though. It's not a big deal, but I should probably replace that battery already...I don't think I've ever replaced it once since I got my console back in 1996 or so.

Nice avatar, by the way. I just love those old blocky Virtua Fighter models. Hell, for the most recent anniversary of the series, I made a blocky Virtua Fighter 1-style profile picture out of a picture of myself, and I set my wall photo to the cast of the first game. Man, now I really wanna play the game. Haha.

Yes Boss!

Yuck, switches. Unsightly and inconvenient. :p

Pretty much. I don't want any part of that. I'd much rather have a region-specific system...even if it is a bit of a hassle/expense.

I won't even do soft-mods like folks did on their Wiis. Not even interested in playing Wii games on a PC via the Dolphin thingie either.

Will do and RGB mod for any system necessary though...one thing I can support, but it has to be internal and can't change the look of the system.

Go play it! It's fun.

And check out the SEGA Cup this Saturday. I'll be there!

Hah. Will do. And yes, it's fun. I have at least one version of every Virtua Fighter game...though, none with the blocky models, sadly, unless you want to count the 10th Anniversary game included with Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution. I think I might go play that, or Virtua Fighter Remix.

Anyway, I'll try and check out the SEGA Cup if I can, but I might be busy on Saturday with my family. But if I have the time, I'll try and watch the stream. That reminds me...I should play Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown more. It's been a while since I last played it. Heh.

According to Wikipedia, Rayforce (AKA Galactic Attack) is in the Xbox and Windows versions of Taito Legends 2.

The Xbox version was only released in Europe, but you might be right; there are a few differences in the game selection between the PS2 and Xbox versions. The PS2 version, which did get a US release, definitely does not have it. (I think that Taito Legends 2 Xbox may be region-free, so it might work on US Xboxes even though it's Europe-only...).

As for the PC version, yeah, I guess it is the same as the Xbox release.

Pretty much. I don't want any part of that. I'd much rather have a region-specific system...even if it is a bit of a hassle/expense.

I won't even do soft-mods like folks did on their Wiis. Not even interested in playing Wii games on a PC via the Dolphin thingie either.

Will do and RGB mod for any system necessary though...one thing I can support, but it has to be internal and can't change the look of the system.

So why wouldn't you want to do an internal, completely invisible Region-free BIOS chip mod, then? I don't understand your hangup. Not trying to attack you. I just want everyone to know the True Light of RFB.

Yes Boss!

So why wouldn't you want to do an internal, completely invisible Region-free BIOS chip mod, then? I don't understand your hangup. Not trying to attack you. I just want everyone to know the True Light of RFB.

If that is what it is and internal I'd probably be down for it. That said, if it is this mod I'd not feel comfortable doing it.

oneida

I... I...
Okay, so you won't be surprised, but this totally works. And it's real wonky at first.

The right stick moves the dragon. The left stick moves the crosshair. I expected the opposite so i might swap the plugs and see how it feels. The right trigger fires normal shots. The left trigger fires the super.

You need to take a hand off one of the sticks to change the camera direction because the L and R buttons are on the base. That's a little weird, but it's not so bad.

Look at that fucking thing. It feels incredible.

I... I...

Okay, so you won't be surprised, but this totally works. And it's real wonky at first.

The right stick moves the dragon. The left stick moves the crosshair. I expected the opposite so i might swap the plugs and see how it feels. The right trigger fires normal shots. The left trigger fires the super.

You need to take a hand off one of the sticks to change the camera direction because the L and R buttons are on the base. That's a little weird, but it's not so bad.

Solution: rig pedals to L and R. Steel Battalion: Dragon Edition.

woodypop

This makes me sad. The only drawback (and kind of a major one) to an otherwise awesome setup. =/

Yeah, this led me to eventually buying myself an import Saturn. I got a white one because it was cheaper, but I would have preferred the gray model 1. Luckily my White Saturn plays Outrun fine, so I must have one of the later prints on the game.

Is the problem with Outrun only with JP consoles, or are copies running on a US Saturn through AR a problem too? I bought it recently and completely forgot about those compatibility issues.

oneida

This makes me sad. The only drawback (and kind of a major one) to an otherwise awesome setup. =/
All the time you spend not turning the camera, you get to dodge shit and aim independently. It's actually not that big a deal - I found it was best to use my left hand as i could continue firing.

Is the problem with Outrun only with JP consoles, or are copies running on a US Saturn through AR a problem too? I bought it recently and completely forgot about those compatibility issues.

I don't know off hand, but if you don't have an answer by this weekend I'll dig out my Model 2 NA Saturn and try it. Again, I'm assuming this is the later print of the game since it works on my white Saturn, so I don't know if it will help.

I don't know off had, but if you dont have an answer by this weekend I'll dig out my Model 2 NA Saturn and try it. Again, I'm assuming this is the later print of the game since it works on my white Saturn, so I don't know if it will help.

Thanks. I won't have access to my Saturn (US Model 1) 'til Friday. Hopefully I'll be able to see for myself then.

That's really awesome. I want another Mission Stick... :)

Solution: rig pedals to L and R. Steel Battalion: Dragon Edition.
Nothing so hard is necessary, I don't believe.

Really, just map L and R to B and C. Ie, map the left and right rotate functions to B and C, so that they're on the buttons on top of the stick. That's what I do in the Panzer Dragoon games with my (single) Mission Stick. I know it works in the first PD, and I believe that you can do it in Zwei as well... unless it doesn't work in the dual-stick setup? I'd think it would though.

So is Snatcher worth playing nowadays?

I have a chance to get the Sega CD version for my sealed Metroid Prime Trilogy and adding a $125.

I'm debating if that's worth it.

What do you guys think?

I have a chance to get the Sega CD version for my sealed Metroid Prime Trilogy and adding a $125.

What do you guys think?

It is a very good game, but has been years and years since I played it. Value wise that seems like a good trade depending on conditions of your game and theirs. The metroid trilogy has kind of inconsistent pricing, but an opened copy that everything else is in great condition can get $70 and up with that being a fairly low price. Snatcher CiB around $250+ unless you get a good deal last I looked. If you just really want the game, I'm sure you can find just the disk for the $125 you have on the table for that one.

Honestly don't know if I would do it though, since both are going to continue to be expensive.

oneida

Really, just map L and R to B and C. Ie, map the left and right rotate functions to B and C, so that they're on the buttons on top of the stick. That's what I do in the Panzer Dragoon games with my (single) Mission Stick. I know it works in the first PD, and I believe that you can do it in Zwei as well... unless it doesn't work in the dual-stick setup? I'd think it would though.
I'll try this out when i get home from California. Man things are nuts in Massachusetts tonight...

televator

I... I...

Careful with that! You might tear a hole in existence with so much awesome max level shit concentrated in that space.

Crikey, I need this!

cj_iwakura

What do you guys think?

It hasn't really aged, since it's a visual novel with great atmosphere and voice work(way ahead of its time on the latter).

That's more than I think its worth, but it's still a great game. Has that traditional Kojima replay value, too, i.e. you can get shot two times and characters will remark specifically about that or if you didn't get hit at all.

Noahd42

Banned

What do you guys think?

I would do that myself. I think that's pretty fair, even probably sliding a bit into your favor price wise. MPT is a bit more common, so you will always come across another copy. Snatch plays very well, it's not a traditional action game but more adventure focused. Very narrative driven, but worthwhile. I've played a significant portion of it. I wish I would have got my own copy when it was on ebay for about 80 bucks about five years ago as opposed to the pricing now.

televator

What do you guys think?

In cases like these, and it's very possible that I too may be in that same position some day, I would try emulating or a burned copy before committing to that deal. I've done it before on other trades.

Top Bottom