• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

In cases like these, and it's very possible that I too may be in that same position some day, I would try emulating or a burned copy before committing to that deal. I've done it before on other trades.

Thanks for all the responses!

Still debating whether or not to do this deal or not.

Downloaded the remaster of NIGHTS into dreams this evening...

Pleasantly surprised how fun the game is to play. Was a bit vague at first as to what i was supposed to do, but after grasping the basic objectives it is quite addictive. Remastered version looks pretty great also, and the music is super catchy!

The bosses are pretty lame though - i managed to kill 2 of them just by spamming the charge attack.

Because of this thread, I am craving a Saturn - such an aesthetically pleasing console to boot. So, if anyone has a working model 2 Saturn with hookups and good working matching controller (everything in good cosmetic condition) for sale, please PM me. (As per my handle, I'm in Canada.)

Because of this thread, I am craving a Saturn - such an aesthetically pleasing console to boot. So, if anyone has a working model 2 Saturn with hookups and good working matching controller (everything in good cosmetic condition) for sale, please PM me. (As per my handle, I'm in Canada.)

Are you on NintendoAge at all?

A guy on there has a Saturn(not sure if model 2, have to look again), with cords controllers and 15-20 common games for $40. He charges separate for shipping though.

Still might not be a bad deal.

IrishNinja

I... I...

Okay, so you won't be surprised, but this totally works. And it's real wonky at first.

The right stick moves the dragon. The left stick moves the crosshair. I expected the opposite so i might swap the plugs and see how it feels. The right trigger fires normal shots. The left trigger fires the super.

You need to take a hand off one of the sticks to change the camera direction because the L and R buttons are on the base. That's a little weird, but it's not so bad.

Look at that fucking thing. It feels incredible.

okay, that stick is gorgeous...but i gotta find that poster for my sega wall now, where'd you get it?

ebay, ho! *edit: so of course no one's selling it...balls

I... I...

Okay, so you won't be surprised, but this totally works. And it's real wonky at first.

The right stick moves the dragon. The left stick moves the crosshair. I expected the opposite so i might swap the plugs and see how it feels. The right trigger fires normal shots. The left trigger fires the super.

You need to take a hand off one of the sticks to change the camera direction because the L and R buttons are on the base. That's a little weird, but it's not so bad.

Look at that fucking thing. It feels incredible.

Oh shit. How did I miss this post? That's an epic setup, oneida. Any chance you might make a video of it in action?

Celine

So I'm thinking to buy a Saturn.

Watching ebay pricing I decided that I would buy the following cheap games for it:
Sega Rally (instead of Daytona CCE)
Virtua Fighter 2 (instead of Megamix)
Nights (just because it is cheap, I'm not sold on gameplay yet).
Fatal Fury Real Bout Special (or maybe SF zero/alpha 2)

Are there other less known and cheap japanese games that I should look into?
What are some good but cheap jap shmup for Saturn?

Also Keio 2 seems quite costly on ebay, was it always the case?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Thanks for the compliments guys! When i get home from LA I'll make a video about the "dual stick" experience.

Sega cup was so much fun

Subaru

I know this isn't the right place to ask this, but I can't create a thread, so... I'll give it a try:

I'm doing a monograph about video-gamees and I need the definition of "video-game" console.

The Wikipedia's definition is actually pretty good:
"The term "video game console" is used to distinguish a machine designed for people to buy and use primarily for playing video games on a TV."

But I need an academic quote and I can't find one! It seems that my google skills are really terrible.

So, anyone knows an academic/scientific paper about video-games that defines what is console?

Thank you very much!

woodypop

Naw, Pandoracell, $40 is perfectly reasonable. Does it include all hook-ups and controllers? Are the controllers the original bulky ones, or are they the magnificent redesign?

Valkyria

Banned
I know this isn't the right place to ask this, but I can't create a thread, so... I'll give it a try:

I'm doing a monograph about video-gamees and I need the definition of "video-game" console.

The Wikipedia's definition is actually pretty good:
"The term "video game console" is used to distinguish a machine designed for people to buy and use primarily for playing video games on a TV."

But I need an academic quote and I can't find one! It seems that my google skills are really terrible.

So, anyone knows an academic/scientific paper about video-games that defines what is console?

Thank you very much!

Try with these:

Scott Gallagher; Seung Ho Park: “Innovation and Competition in Standard-Bas Industries: A Historical Analysis of theU.S. Home Video Game Market”. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON ENGINEERING MANAGEMENT, VOL. 49, NO. 1, FEBRUARY 2002

Yuko Aoyama; Hiro Izushi. “User-led Innovation and the video game industry”. UK: IRP Conference Mayo 22-23, 2008.

And
VIDEO GAMES: SERIOUS BUSINESS FOR AMERICA’S ECONOMY
by
Robert W. Crandall

J. Gregory Sidak

I made a paper about innovation in videogame industry , and those were some of my sources.

Sanic

Naw, Pandoracell, $40 is perfectly reasonable. Does it include all hook-ups and controllers? Are the controllers the original bulky ones, or are they the magnificent redesign?

All hookups, one controller (original). I'll hunt around for a second when I pick up some games.

oneida

gf made me a custom sonic jam cover
1NjeUD2.jpeg

^ What the heck? Haha!

Anyway:

I got outbid right when I placed my first bid (with a little under a minute left in the auction), and then the site didn't accept my new bid in time (I was waiting for the last moment, and I pressed it with about 5-10 seconds left), and I lost. Curses! :'(

Gonna have to search for another auction, I guess. Heh.

televator

Is $40 just a bit much for a Saturn?

Considering how notoriously expensive it was back when it was in production (it was the $599 PS3 of its day), I'd say the $40 - $60 price we pay nowadays is a bargain. Unlike the Neo Geo, which started expensive and stayed expensive.

Too bad the games can be hard to find outside of bloated ebay auctions. With Saturn games, I take what I can reasonably get.

I can cross two more titles I've wanted for years off my list. Salamander Deluxe and Dracula X arrived in the mail today, thanks to Ziming. I will probably bring my PSOne combo + Saturn to work tomorrow to play Nocturne on break.

I've been talking with a friend who is in touch with the current high bidder. Wishing him the best of luck. If everything works out, we will probably get a bit of video documenting the thing. Maybe even some Netlink match play.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, SSF used to run fine on my E8500 and GTX285

But now on my 3770K and 7970 it's not starting. It's not because of any settings because I just re-downloaded it and haven't been able to configure it at all. Here's the error:

IDirect3DDevice9::Clear() error.
File : ./Direct3D9.cpp
Line : 2208
Function : Direct3D9::_Flip

I shouldn't be missing any Direct X things, the Windows 7 installation is the exact same as before, just with the new chipset etc drivers. I tried the web installer and got nothing, I've got the latest AMD drivers, I'm stumped.

Edit: well, I guess it was settings after all, it started up after I deleted the ini files.

LostAnkh

Is this a system worth owning? There aren't many games in the library that will justify getting one, but this is all from my perspective. Surprise me!

Is this a system worth owning? There aren't many games in the library that will justify getting one, but this is all from my perspective. Surprise me!

The Saturn is worth owning if:

1) You like Sega games - it's got them, including some great ones. Expect games with small amounts of content that you're expected to replay a lot to master -- the system has a lot of that.
2) You like shmups - Probably the system's best genre; just know that most titles are import-only and expensive.
3) You like mid '90s fighting games - The Saturn has some good ones, both 2d and 3d. Many are dated and newer titles in their franchises are better, but some of them are well worth having...
4) You like mid '90s 3d games - These games are cheap, and some are actually good. People usually overlook these games in favor of the expensive stuff, but don't do that in every case!

It's not worth owning if you want a cheap system -- the system isn't the cheapest, the best games are expensive, and you need accessories (3D Controller, memory card or Action Replay 4-in-1 cart, maybe also a Mission Stick and Arcade Racer if you really like the system) and import games (presumably from ebay) to get the most out of it... though I do think that the cheaper, 3d US-released titles are often better than given credit for. Some aren't good, but others are. It's also not worth owning if none of the four things I listed above apply to you, of course.

Quackula

1) You like Sega games - it's got them, including some great ones. Expect games with small amounts of content that you're expected to replay a lot to master -- the system has a lot of that.
2) You like shmups - Probably the system's best genre; just know that most titles are import-only and expensive.
3) You like mid '90s fighting games - The Saturn has some good ones, both 2d and 3d. Many are dated and newer titles in their franchises are better, but some of them are well worth having...
4) You like mid '90s 3d games - These games are cheap, and some are actually good.

It's not worth owning if you want a cheap system -- the system isn't the cheaptest, hte best games are expensive, and you need accessories (3D Controller, memory card or Action Replay 4-in-1 cart, maybe also a Mission Stick and Arcade Racer if you really like the system) and import games (presumably from ebay) to get the most out of it... though I do think that the cheaper, 3d US-released titles are often better than given credit for. Some aren't good, but others are. It's also not worth owning if none of the four things I listed above apply to you, of course.

I totally love my saturn, but I've got to agree with this. It's not cheap to collect for at all.

On the plus side, I think it's worth noting that many of its exclusives were never ported to other systems. It's still the only place to legitimately play Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Shining Force III, Saturn Bomberman, etc. It ain't cheap though, so definitely keep that in mind. Prices for complete games generally start at around $20-30 and go up from there.

The Action Replay 4-in-1 is an absolute MUST imo.

Celine

I was surprised when I learn that Sega Rally only had 4 tracks (same for Sega Touring and Daytona).

LostAnkh

4) You like mid '90s 3d games - These games are cheap, and some are actually good. People usually overlook these games in favor of the expensive stuff, but don't do that in every case!
Yes, I loved the Vs series and the Alpha series. I'm not too familiar with a lot of the games for the system. I can recall Sakura Taisen, Sonic R, Panzer series, and the Virtua Fighter games.

It's not worth owning if you want a cheap system -- the system isn't the cheapest, the best games are expensive, and you need accessories (3D Controller, memory card or Action Replay 4-in-1 cart, maybe also a Mission Stick and Arcade Racer if you really like the system) and import games (presumably from ebay) to get the most out of it... though I do think that the cheaper, 3d US-released titles are often better than given credit for. Some aren't good, but others are. It's also not worth owning if none of the four things I listed above apply to you, of course.
I would add:
5)You like Working Designs games.

I am looking to purchase the second model and was wondering if there are any other noteworthy differences one should take into consideration regarding the model 2. Here's what Wikipedia says:
MK-80000A
Round
4/96 – 10/96
Features a notched power cord, no drive access light and a 1.00a BIOS. Internal jumper locations are changed.

MK-80001
Round
7/96 – 98
Similar in appearance to the MK-80000A, this machine has some changed internal jumper locations.

What do you guys have?

EDIT:
You can star here to learning about some saturn games:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/...a-saturn-games
I would also recommend the Game Sack Saturn extravaganza: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcDAHVvDLuA

Yes, I loved the Vs series and the Alpha series. I'm not too familiar with a lot of the games for the system. I can recall Sakura Taisen, Sonic R, Panzer series, and the Virtua Fighter games.

In that case, it might be worth mentioning that the Saturn is still the only console out there with near arcade perfect ports of X-Men Vs Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter, and it's looking to stay that way for a while.

Fighters Megamix is a pretty fun mashup of Virtua Fighter/Fighters Megamix/Misc. Sega Franchises that's exclusive to Saturn as well.

Played a bit of Dracula X with Maria last night. Christ she's overpowered. I mean, you don't even have to try. She flips and dives all over the screen like Strider and has a kamehameha that melts bosses. I appreciate that the team took the time to fully develop a usable character though. Even if she is broken.

I sampled a bit of the castle to experience the slowdown. Wow, it really does pop up in the oddest places. The outer wall crawls when there's seemingly nothing going on. Elsewhere, you'll run into a handful of enemies in the same space while some really competent parallax scrolling is going on and the game runs just fine.

The sprites can look odd at times too. At best, it's indistinguishable from the Playstation version. At worst, things look like a lazy copy/paste.

I'm going to start a new game and do a full play through with Alucard when I have more free time. This week is going to be a bit busy for me.

I also played around with the Salamander Deluxe Pack a bit. These games are so hilariously difficult and unforgiving. It's been awhile since I played the PS1 version. I see what sixteen-bit was saying about the black bars from the "Arcade" display option. The game looks great, but the bars make it a bit difficult during the vertical scrolling stages. It's difficult to determine how far to the left or right you can travel with the dark background on black bars. It would have been nice if they would have provided an option to change the color of the bars. Maybe I will break out some painters' tape and make my own borders. :p

Played a bit of Dracula X with Maria last night. Christ she's overpowered. I mean, you don't even have to try. She flips and dives all over the screen like Strider and has a kamehameha that melts bosses. I appreciate that the team took the time to fully develop a usable character though. Even if she is broken.

I sampled a bit of the castle to experience the slowdown. Wow, it really does pop up in the oddest places. The outer wall crawls when there's seemingly nothing going on. Elsewhere, you'll run into a handful of enemies in the same space while some really competent parallax scrolling is going on and the game runs just fine.

The sprites can look odd at times too. At best, it's indistinguishable from the Playstation version. At worst, things look like a lazy copy/paste.

I'm going to start a new game and do a full play through with Alucard when I have more free time. This week is going to be a bit busy for me.

The game bugs me as a whole.. as much as I love having the Saturn version, the performance is so janky. I always had hoped there was going to be a version for a later system that would combine all the strengths of both versions into one super version, and even do things like add Dark Maria or whatever they had planned.

The game bugs me as a whole.. as much as I love having the Saturn version, the performance is so janky. I always had hoped there was going to be a version for a later system that would combine all the strengths of both versions into one super version, and even do things like add Dark Maria or whatever they had planned.

Agreed. I was really disappointed when they decided to abandon this content in the updated SotN in Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP.

oneida

Whoops. I'm embarrassed. :O
But joke aside, the other comment was based on my perspective. You guys obviously know more about the Saturn than I do, hence I said "Surprise me."

Yeah, i know what you were going for, but it's oddly negative and pushy.

"MARK TWAIN NEVER WROTE A GOOD THING AND I DEFY YOU TO PROVE ME WRONG" < "hey I'm looking for a good Mark Twain book do you have any recommendations?"

Top Bottom