• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Is this a system worth owning? There aren't many games in the library that will justify getting one, but this is all from my perspective. Surprise me!

Since you're asking this question you obviously don't live in Japan. :) Therefore most important factor in answering this question is - are you willing to import?

If yes, you will find that there are tons of very worthwhile games if you can brave a bit of kana (and most of them are arcade games where zero Japanese knowledge is necessary). I'd recommend checking out Bulk Slash, Silhouette Mirage, Gungriffon, Assault Suit Leynos 2, Batsugun, Soukyugurentai, Cotton 2, Dynamite Deka, and *insert a dozen awesome Capcom fighting games here.* You can also find the Japanese versions of games like Guardian heroes, Azel and Burning Rangers for pennies compared to what the English versions go for these days.

Yes, I loved the Vs series and the Alpha series. I'm not too familiar with a lot of the games for the system. I can recall Sakura Taisen, Sonic R, Panzer series, and the Virtua Fighter games.

You, and anyone else really, should read my Saturn game-summaries thread...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486617

I've done threads like this for the Saturn, Playstation, N64, Odyssey 2, Game Boy (B&W), and PC Racing Games. I also have incomplete, not-yet-posted SNES and 32X reviews that I'll finish sometime in the next few months anyway. Then probably on to the Genesis.

Since you're asking this question you obviously don't live in Japan. :) Therefore most important factor in answering this question is - are you willing to import?

If yes, you will find that there are tons of very worthwhile games if you can brave a bit of kana (and most of them are arcade games where zero Japanese knowledge is necessary). I'd recommend checking out Bulk Slash, Silhouette Mirage, Gungriffon, Assault Suit Leynos 2, Batsugun, Soukyugurentai, Cotton 2, Dynamite Deka, and *insert a dozen awesome Capcom fighting games here.* You can also find the Japanese versions of games like Guardian heroes, Azel and Burning Rangers for pennies compared to what the English versions go for these days.
Those last two aren't worth buying imported unless you can read (or understand spoken) Japanese, though.

And anyway, the US Saturn library of course is nowhere near as good as the Japanese one, but shmups aside, I think it's actually pretty decent...

Played a bit of Dracula X with Maria last night. Christ she's overpowered. I mean, you don't even have to try. She flips and dives all over the screen like Strider and has a kamehameha that melts bosses. I appreciate that the team took the time to fully develop a usable character though. Even if she is broken.

I sampled a bit of the castle to experience the slowdown. Wow, it really does pop up in the oddest places. The outer wall crawls when there's seemingly nothing going on. Elsewhere, you'll run into a handful of enemies in the same space while some really competent parallax scrolling is going on and the game runs just fine.

The sprites can look odd at times too. At best, it's indistinguishable from the Playstation version. At worst, things look like a lazy copy/paste.

I'm going to start a new game and do a full play through with Alucard when I have more free time. This week is going to be a bit busy for me.
For the most part Saturn Maria is overpowered, but there are a few parts that are actually difficult with her... still though, it was a great thing to add, and really should have been in the game all along.

I would add:
5)You like Working Designs games.
That would mostly go in Sega, though. I mean, Albert Odyssey is the only Saturn Working Designs game that isn't a title published by Sega in Japan.

Also, if you love Working Designs, you'll need a TurboGrafx-16 plus Turbo CD drive (or Duo), a Sega CD, a Saturn, a PS1, and a PS2, not just the Saturn...

I am looking to purchase the second model and was wondering if there are any other noteworthy differences one should take into consideration regarding the model 2. Here's what Wikipedia says:
Apart from system button shape, the biggest difference is that some models are easier to mod than others. Unfortunately, you can't tell from the outside which is which, always; there are also internal revisions.

In Japan the model 1 was grey and the model 2 white, but in the US both are black, so there's no color difference either.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
My order of Space Harrier, OutRun and Salamander Deluxe Pack shipped this morning from Arcade Gear (Jap-Sai). Sadly After Burner was out of stock but Mike said he'd contact me when he gets one. Looking forward to FINALLY adding these to my collection!

I paid ¥8,390 ($84.39) shipped from Japan.

My god, what have I done? I have the Saturn, PSOne/LCD, Dracula X, Salamander, Batsugun, and everything to hook it up and play at work with me today.

I will post pics when I have a break to hook it up.

Edit:

crappy cellphone pic
psonesaturn.jpg

Dereck

Why does my Sega Saturn read games as music discs on boot?

Do I have to replace the small battery if every time I turn on my Sega Saturn it asks me what time it is?

Why does my Sega Saturn read games as music discs on boot?

Do I have to replace the small battery if every time I turn on my Sega Saturn it asks me what time it is?

If it's reading every game as a music disc, then either the discs are damaged, or there is something wrong with the laser. If the Saturn can't pick up the copy-protection code in the games, it automatically boots into music mode (had it happen all the time with some of my games near my saturn's last days)

The second thing, the battery is certainly dead. If you have a backup cart, you don't need to have the battery though it'll save you some frustration from having to reset the date. If you don't have a backup cart, all of your regular saves will die out eventually as well.

Dereck

If it's reading every game as a music disc, then either the discs are damaged, or there is something wrong with the laser. If the Saturn can't pick up the copy-protection code in the games, it automatically boots into music mode (had it happen all the time with some of my games near my saturn's last days)
It boots the disc in the music menu when I hit the "start" button.

The second thing, the battery is certainly dead. If you have a backup cart, you don't need to have the battery though it'll save you some frustration from having to reset the date. If you don't have a backup cart, all of your regular saves will die out eventually as well.
Best place to buy a brand new backup cart?

Valkyria

Banned
My god, what have I done? I have the Saturn, PSOne/LCD, Dracula X, Salamander, Batsugun, and everything to hook it up and play at work with me today.

I will post pics when I have a break to hook it up.

Edit:

crappy cellphone pic
psonesaturn.jpg

I did not see the edit XDDD. You are my hero.

I saw a long box PSX version of that game today and I just said to myself "huh" and moved on. After MK2 it was hard to get into the series in my opinion.

There is no Playstation version of UMK3. MK3 was on PS1 only, UMK3 on Saturn only. The Saturn got the better end of that deal, for sure... and really, it's a pretty good port. The load times are moderate, and are shorter than some other early PS1 and Saturn fighting games (it's an improvement over MK2 for Saturn, for instance, though at least Saturn MK2 was released here; PS1 MK2 was Japan-only, oddly.), and the gameplay is great. It's a good port.

If you don't want load times though, yeah, the PS3/360 MK Arcade Collection is better of course. Or the DS port too, probably. Or MK Trilogy for the N64. (There is actually a Saturn version of Trilogy too, but I haven't played it, and I assume the load times are similar to UMK3...)

Dereck

The port is poopie but the game is still good. I only bought it because I saw the game in a store and it was a rarity. It was covered by other games and I'm like, is that a MK game on disc?

Got the guy behind the counter get the disc buried under everything, turns out it was UMK3 on the Saturn for $20, I couldn't pass it up.

The MK Trilogy load times on the PSX though, my gosh.

The port is poopie but the game is still good. I only bought it because I saw the game in a store and it was a rarity. It was covered by other games and I'm like, is that a MK game on disc?

Got the guy behind the counter get the disc buried under everything, turns out it was UMK3 on the Saturn for $20, I couldn't pass it up.

The MK Trilogy load times on the PSX though, my gosh.

The port's fine, it's not the game's fault that it has load times. All 2d fighting games on PS1 and Saturn had significant load times unless they used the Saturn's RAM Cart to reduce them. Sure, good programming could help some (like how Darkstalkers 3 for PS1 has shorter load times than Darkstalkers on PS1, or KOF '99 loads faster than KOF '95), but still those improved games still have somewhat long load times, KOF '99 particularly.

Noahd42

Banned
There is no Playstation version of UMK3. MK3 was on PS1 only, UMK3 on Saturn only. The Saturn got the better end of that deal, for sure... and really, it's a pretty good port. The load times are moderate, and are shorter than some other early PS1 and Saturn fighting games (it's an improvement over MK2 for Saturn, for instance, though at least Saturn MK2 was released here; PS1 MK2 was Japan-only, oddly.), and the gameplay is great. It's a good port.

If you don't want load times though, yeah, the PS3/360 MK Arcade Collection is better of course. Or the DS port too, probably. Or MK Trilogy for the N64. (There is actually a Saturn version of Trilogy too, but I haven't played it, and I assume the load times are similar to UMK3...)

Thank you for the knowledge bomb. The logo is very similar, hence my confusion.

oneida

Update on the dual mission stick set-up.

You can indeed map turn left and turn right to B and C - which is handy because B and C are on the joystick itself. So, you may strike from the record my complaint about having to move a hand to turn the camera.

I'll note an odd thing: all the buttons on the left stick - A, B & C - fire the super. So if you think you can be clever and turn left with your left stick and right with your right stick, then you've got another thing coming.

Just cleared Zwei for the first time. What a beautiful game!

Thanks for dropping knowledge.

Thank you for the knowledge bomb. The logo is very similar, hence my confusion.

To be clear, I agree that the load times in PS1 and (non-Ram Cart) Saturn games are an issue. They are annoying, and the longer ones definitely affect how fun, or playable, some games are. For instance, I love the KOF series, but don't like KOF '99 on PS1 very much because of the load times; they're just a little too long, and it really bothers me. The Dreamcast version is the one to play.

However, I don't think that UMK3 crosses that line. The game is playable, and the load times, while not short, are bearable.In that way it's much more like Darkstalkers 3 for PS1 or Night Warriors for Saturn, than it is KOF '99 (or, worse, KOF '95 for PS1).

Update on the dual mission stick set-up.

You can indeed map turn left and turn right to B and C - which is handy because B and C are on the joystick itself. So, you may strike from the record my complaint about having to move a hand to turn the camera.

I'll note an odd thing: all the buttons on the left stick - A, B & C - fire the super. So if you think you can be clever and turn left with your left stick and right with your right stick, then you've got another thing coming.

Just cleared Zwei for the first time. What a beautiful game!
That's great that you can reconfigure it. I do remember hearing that you can't change the left-stick buttons, though... and that does sound odd. I mean, you have to fire with the stick you move with, not you aim with, right? That feels backwards. I'd expect the fire button on the left side, not the right. Once you get used to that I'm sure it's fantastic, though. And I wish more games supported the Twin Mission Stick.

Mikhal

Damn this thread. Cause of you guys I was prompted to go up in the attic and check out my paltry Saturn collection in the attic only to find out a box of my Saturn stuff was missing (mainly accessories like light guns and controllers). So to make up for it, I bought some things from Surugaya/Rakuten. Need to track down some cheap controllers.

ascii42

I have MKII on Saturn, but never really bother with it because I have the 32X version as well. I've played a good bit of MK1 on the SegaCD, and the bit of loading before fatalities always amused me. In a way, it was actually handy, because you knew immediately if you triggered it.

Broach

Banned
Thinking about the Sega Saturn's Sega output...I kinda realised it's kinda similar to how Sega is now. A couple of franchises for the Hardcore (Panzer Dragoon/Yakuza, Sakura Wars/Valkria), and Arcade games. Excpetion being...not many of Sega's Arcade games are ported.

...just thinking out loud.

Damn this thread. Cause of you guys I was prompted to go up in the attic and check out my paltry Saturn collection in the attic only to find out a box of my Saturn stuff was missing (mainly accessories like light guns and controllers). So to make up for it, I bought some things from Surugaya/Rakuten. Need to track down some cheap controllers.

Haha, nice haul.

Celine

Thinking about the Sega Saturn's Sega output...I kinda realised it's kinda similar to how Sega is now. A couple of franchises for the Hardcore (Panzer Dragoon/Yakuza, Sakura Wars/Valkria), and Arcade games. Excpetion being...not many of Sega's Arcade games are ported.

...just thinking out loud.
Sega was always about arcade games (much more than what is now SegaSammy).
Then you had more uncommon games (by Sega standard) like Torico or Deep Fear.

Broach

Banned
Sega was always about arcade games (much more than what is now SegaSammy).
Then you had more uncommon games (by Sega standard) like Torico or Deep Fear.

Now under the Dreamcast they had every team working on consoles and arcades. I'd say on the Saturn they were more focused on the japanese audience than they were on Genesis and DC. And weren't Torico and Deep Fear published?

IrishNinja

Not Saturn related, but I wonder whats up with the Segagaga translation project?

swear to god, i check on this thing every few months or so...it went from one writer at 1up talking about it, but no updates since something like 2009, then this interview on Racketboy from 2 years ago that looked really promising, but the blog/twitter/whatever i could find from that effort also went cold.

really am dying to play it one day, i'd totally make do with a guide & youtube channel if i had to (worked for Kenzan) but i can't even find enough on that end. so sad.

swear to god, i check on this thing every few months or so...it went from one writer at 1up talking about it, but no updates since something like 2009, then this interview on Racketboy from 2 years ago that looked really promising, but the blog/twitter/whatever i could find from that effort also went cold.

really am dying to play it one day, i'd totally make do with a guide & youtube channel if i had to (worked for Kenzan) but i can't even find enough on that end. so sad.

The guy who runs that project actually just posted on a forum - I think Racketboy's - saying that Segagaga is stalled and dead for the time being.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Very rarely do I undertake the effort to play through an RPG in Japanese with my extremely limited knowledge of the language, but it was an effort I made for SGGG. I think I might have been the first Japanese-illiterate player to discover that the final 2 chapters even existed. (You need to obtain 100% market share to even unlock them, and clearly none of the FAQ writers at that time had done so.) That whole space shooter finale is a pants-crapping rush of adrenaline when you have no idea it's coming, lol.

oneida

Recent events have got me wondering:

Do we know of any Saturn "Bio Force Apes"? By that I mean, are there instances where a Saturn game's existence is itself something of an urban legend?

I have read of a mythical Saturn conversion of Virtua Fighter 3, and I'm sure we have all seen the footage of Shenmue I & II running on Saturn.

Is the problem with Outrun only with JP consoles, or are copies running on a US Saturn through AR a problem too? I bought it recently and completely forgot about those compatibility issues.

Late response, but I just tested Outrun JP with my NA Model 2 Saturn using AR 4-in-1and it works. I'm almost positive this is a later printing of the game since it works fine on my Model 2 white JP Saturn though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Late response, but I just tested Outrun JP with my NA Model 2 Saturn using AR 4-in-1and it works. I'm almost positive this is a later printing of the game since it works fine on my Model 2 white JP Saturn though.

There's no way to tell which version of Outrun you have, other than to just try it on different model systems, right? Makes me kinda scared to buy the thing.

IrishNinja

Very rarely do I undertake the effort to play through an RPG in Japanese with my extremely limited knowledge of the language, but it was an effort I made for SGGG. I think I might have been the first Japanese-illiterate player to discover that the final 2 chapters even existed. (You need to obtain 100% market share to even unlock them, and clearly none of the FAQ writers at that time had done so.) That whole space shooter finale is a pants-crapping rush of adrenaline when you have no idea it's coming, lol.

aw, damn...so it can be done with just a gamefaqs guide then? did you feel you caught all the references/cameo stuff?

Teknoman

There's no way to tell which version of Outrun you have, other than to just try it on different model systems, right? Makes me kinda scared to buy the thing.

I'd like to think most import stores would take that into consideration? Nothing like this with Afterburner II or Space Harrier right?

Celine

Now under the Dreamcast they had every team working on consoles and arcades. I'd say on the Saturn they were more focused on the japanese audience than they were on Genesis and DC. And weren't Torico and Deep Fear published?
Yes, those two was "only" published by Sega.
I was only pointing out how Sega output was more diverse (and bigger in general) when they still were an hardware maker.
Their arcade output was reduced after the nineties since arcade games declined in importance.

Top Bottom