• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Celine

Recent events have got me wondering:

Do we know of any Saturn "Bio Force Apes"? By that I mean, are there instances where a Saturn game's existence is itself something of an urban legend?

I have read of a mythical Saturn conversion of Virtua Fighter 3, and I'm sure we have all seen the footage of Shenmue I & II running on Saturn.
Mine would be Steamship Pirates by Neverland Company (next to nothing is known about it except the name).

Mikhal

Haha, nice haul.
Thanks. Just ordered Soukyuugurentai Otokyo and Sonic R (lol). I'd like to get Twinkle Star Sprites and maybe Astra Superstars down the line.

I remember having this Sega Flash and thinking VF3 would come to Saturn since the other two games (Last Bronx and Sega Touring Cars Championship) did...
Wow. Was that actual Saturn footage?

Late response, but I just tested Outrun JP with my NA Model 2 Saturn using AR 4-in-1and it works. I'm almost positive this is a later printing of the game since it works fine on my Model 2 white JP Saturn though.
Satakore lists 2 revisions for Outrun: GS-9110P-01050 which doesn't work on some models and GS-9110P-01050A which works on all of them.

I'd like to think most import stores would take that into consideration? Nothing like this with Afterburner II or Space Harrier right?
It appears that Space Harrier has the same problem. GS-9108P-00902 doesn't work on some models and GS-9108P-00902A works on all of them. No revisions for Afterburner II. So I guess people will have to ask sellers to check the serial number in the middle of the CD to know for sure before buying.

There's no way to tell which version of Outrun you have, other than to just try it on different model systems, right? Makes me kinda scared to buy the thing.

According to Satakore you can differentiate them by the CD Matrix numbers, but considering you'd need to be looking at the disc itself, I'm not sure it's any more of a help.

edit: beaten by Mikhal with the quickness AND depth.

photo1-1.jpg
Does anyone know where I could purchase that TV stand? I'd love to get something similar for my 10-11 consoles + 32 inch CRT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IrishNinja

^damn, that's not a bad one...ive got NES, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, DC, 360, GC, PS3 and a PC, it's a struggle fitting that shit but that might work

Late response, but I just tested Outrun JP with my NA Model 2 Saturn using AR 4-in-1and it works. I'm almost positive this is a later printing of the game since it works fine on my Model 2 white JP Saturn though.

Thanks. I appear to have the revision with the problem (Doesn't have the A revision on the disc) but it works fine on my US Model 1. I was able to get a hold of a friend with a US Model 2, and it worked there, too. I wonder if it's something limited to JP consoles.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I used to love Last Bronx back in the day. I played the PS2 release of the game a couple years ago, and still enjoyed it. I think it holds up better than some of Sega's fighters from that era. Some good music, too.

Mikhal

I actually never played Last Bronx before but the footage in TrojanX's video made the game look very fun! Might have to pick it up down the line.

Didn't realize there was a movie either. Stumbled into it on Youtube while looking for more gameplay footage.

The flicker in Saturn LB is pretty bad, but I enjoy it more than Fighting Vipers or Fighters Megamix. It's up there with Dead or Alive and Virtua Fighter 2 for my favorite 3D fighter on the console.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I got the japanese version, but I can't get into it, don't know why. It happens the same with fighters megamix.
Playing fighting games against the computer gets real old real fast. The beauty of 3D fighters is in the importance of reads; something you can't get from AI. Sometimes they block, sometimes they don't. Yawn.

IrishNinja

so, since the new TV & receiver don't fuck with S-video, and i'm waiting on my XRGB for SCART action anyway, ive got this 3rd party s-vid cable about, PM me if you're in the market - i'd like to trade if possible!

Kard8p3

Sorry if this has already been talked about but is it possible to get the PS3 controller working with ssf and if so how?

so, since the new TV & receiver don't fuck with S-video, and i'm waiting on my XRGB for SCART action anyway, ive got this 3rd party s-vid cable about, PM me if you're in the market - i'd like to trade if possible!

You can probably get top dollar if you eBay it, so kudos for giving gaffers the first pick.

Dereck

If it's reading every game as a music disc, then either the discs are damaged, or there is something wrong with the laser. If the Saturn can't pick up the copy-protection code in the games, it automatically boots into music mode (had it happen all the time with some of my games near my saturn's last days)

The second thing, the battery is certainly dead. If you have a backup cart, you don't need to have the battery though it'll save you some frustration from having to reset the date. If you don't have a backup cart, all of your regular saves will die out eventually as well.
When I bought a backup cart and put it into the Saturn, somehow it fixed the booting into music mode. It now boots the game instead.

I am sure this topic should already be covered in this thread, but as it is 50 pages long it is a little bit difficult to find the information, so excuse me.

I want advice in the best possible image I can get from my Saturn in my setup. I have a Japanese unit and in my gaming room I have a progressive scan CRT TV (inputs: composite, s-vídeo and componente) and a smaller CRT monitor (only VGA 15-pin).

As far as I know my options without using a scaller are Japanese cables:
- S-vídeo cable (ok for my TV)
- RGB 21-pin cable

RGB would give me the best image, right? But since neither my tubes accepts RGB, is there a cheap way to convert it to componente (better because my tv is bigger) or VGA?

Thanks a lot!

Scart is not an option, since the only tv I have with this input is an old LCD.

RGB would give me the best image, right? But since neither my tubes accepts RGB, is there a cheap way to convert it to componente (better because my tv is bigger) or VGA?

Something like this should work: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XSSDPO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've heard great things about it. But I don't think that version I linked to has an audio passthrough, so you might just need to look for a different one, or get a SCART cable that has separate left and right audio plugs.

DasDamen

Something like this should work: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XSSDPO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've heard great things about it. But I don't think that version I linked to has an audio passthrough, so you might just need to look for a different one, or get a SCART cable that has separate left and right audio plugs.

Specialty AV also sells an audio/composite breakout connector that you can plug into the converter (something like $10 eBay). It's also very easy to mod the converter for stereo output if you're prepared to do a little dremeling/soldering. I would stay clear of SCART cables with separate audio connectors since they aren't very future proof in the event that you eventually buy switch boxes, upscalers, etc.

DasDamen

I was thinking in getting this:

feynman270306img600x450.jpg

So to connect this cable to a CRT TV using componente I will need one of this:

$(KGrHqN,!hcFBtfZpbueBQrj+qzulQ~~60_57.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

and one of this

$(KGrHqF,!lUFEHK!SQFWBRIR0Itw!Q~~60_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

????

This is the best vídeo option for a Saturn? This set up alone will cost more than US$ 100.

I would buy an NTSC SCART RGB cable (which looks identical to RGB-21 cables), but otherwise, yes, that's the best option for a CRT. You'll never need to buy another SCART-to-YUV converter, though. You're next step would be to buy a SCART switch box and then connect the converter to the output of the switch.

Edit: Buy the SCART cable from retro_console_accessories. The seller is away right now presumably catching-up with orders (and she regularly is), so check back often.

I would buy an NTSC SCART RGB cable (which looks identical to RGB-21 cables), but otherwise, yes, that's the best option for a CRT. You'll never need to buy another SCART-to-YUV converter, though. You're next step would be to buy a SCART switch box and then connect the converter to the output of the switch.

Could you point me to where I can buy such a cable?

Edit: Buy the SCART cable from retro_console_accessories. The seller is away right now presumably catching-up with orders (and she regularly is), so check back often.

On ebay, right?

But this setup is that better than normal S-Video? Sega has also an oficial s-video cable.

Regarding next steps.... I have several consoles that uses Component vídeo (Gamecube, Xbox, now Saturn). I have to connect/disconnect the cables from tv everytime I switch consoles. Wouldn't be wiser to buy a switch box that has inputs from Scart and Component and outputs Component? Is there such a thing?

I have switchboxes from consoles that use composite (Master System, Genesis, Zeeboo) and another VGA switchbox for Xbox and Dreamcast. My setup is becoming quite a mess...

DasDamen

On ebay, right?

But this setup is that better than normal S-Video? Sega has also an oficial s-video cable.

Regarding next steps.... I have several consoles that uses Component vídeo (Gamecube, Xbox, now Saturn). I have to connect/disconnect the cables from tv everytime I switch consoles. Wouldn't be wiser to buy a switch box that has inputs from Scart and Component and outputs Component? Is there such a thing?

I have switchboxes from consoles that use composite (Master System, Genesis, Zeeboo) and another VGA switchbox for Xbox and Dreamcast. My setup is becoming quite a mess...

Yes, on ebay. They also have a website, but they state that eBay orders take priority.

RGB converted to component is much better than s-video.

Personally, I would buy a SCART switch box if you foresee yourself buying more SCART RGB cables in the future (I recently bought two Keene SCART Commanders to daisy chain them into a master/slave configuration for a total of 7 SCART connections), and then feed the output from the SCART-to YUV converter into a component switch box. I'll warn you right now that it's not going to be cheap if you buy quality switch boxes.

As far as the DC is concerned, I think s-video is the best option simply because not all games are compatible with VGA, but you could buy a VGA-to-YUV converter to further simplify your setup.

Thanks a lot for all the answers!

Since retro_console_accessories is not selling anything right now, I would like to ask you a couple more questions:
- The cables from retro_console_accessories are like the oficial Japanese Scart RGB, right? So it still need the RGB to component converter. There is no direct to componente cable available for Saturn, right?
- How much usually a cable from retro_console_accessories goes for? I am wondering if I should buy the Japanese one or wait for their restock.

Sho Nuff

Banned
So uh, about Saturn VF3. There was a single-stage demo of the Chinese restaurant rooftop, I believe the two playable characters were Pai and Jacky. It held 30fps, no idea what they did for lighting it. That was it. I know this because I got hella drunk with some cat who was at Sega from the 80s-2000's when I was living in Tokyo and I grilled the shit out of him about its existence. That being said I am just some schlep on a message board so you should probably not believe me. Anyways yeah

bwahhhhh

Since retro_console_accessories is not selling anything right now, I would like to ask you a couple more questions:
- The cables from retro_console_accessories are like the oficial Japanese Scart RGB, right? So it still need the RGB to component converter. There is no direct to componente cable available for Saturn, right?
- How much usually a cable from retro_console_accessories goes for? I am wondering if I should buy the Japanese one or wait for their restock.

does that scart RGB->YUV box use Japanese SCART or Euro SCART as the input? It looks like Euro SCART, so don't get the Japanese Saturn RGB cable for that.
Though they appear the same, the pinouts on the SCART cables are different.

I fried the video decoder in an XRGB box one time when I hooked a Euro SCART cable up to it. :( Wish someone had told me that, so I'm just giving you a heads-up, maybe you already know.

DasDamen

As bwahhhhh has already stated, do not buy RGB-21 cables (unless you know that you wan them; hint, you don't want them). From retro_console_accessories, an NTSC RGB SCART cable (make absolute sure that you purchase the NTSC cable and not the PAL cable) costs $17 plus shipping. Shipping cost me about $11 for 4 cables to Canada, so it'll be much less for you if you're from the states.

And as a rule, any generation of consoles before the Xbox/GCN/PS2 will not have component capability, so use SCART RGB with a SCART-to-YUV converter for retro consoles. Check this matrix out: http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=matrix

As bwahhhhh has already stated, do not buy RGB-21 cables (unless you know that you wan them; hint, you don't want them). From retro_console_accessories, an NTSC RGB SCART cable (make absolute sure that you purchase the NTSC cable and not the PAL cable) costs $17 plus shipping. Shipping cost me about $11 for 4 cables to Canada, so it'll be much less for you if you're from the states.

And as a rule, any generation of consoles before the Xbox/GCN/PS2 will not have component capability, so use SCART RGB with a SCART-to-YUV converter for retro consoles. Check this matrix out: http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=matrix

Now I got it. I was a little bit confused about this RGB/Euro Scart/Japanese Scart thing.

And great table! I did not know that Master System, Genesis and other old consoles are capable of outputing RGB natively without moding. I guess that ebay seller also makes those kind of cables, right? I Will keep a look on it. Now I know why you need that much scart switchboxes...

By the way I am not in US, I live in Brasil.

Since you're from Brazil, I'm not so sure you actually have an NTSC console. You better check into that.

The oficial Brasilian SDTV standard is PAL-M, an very odd standard that uses NTSC resulution with PAL colour scheme that only is used in Brazil. But all TVs since the 80s also supports NTSC-US as standard, due to the videocassete players, etc.

Yeah, Brazilian manufactured Genesis (called here Megadrive) and Master System should output only PAL-M (I have an Eletronic Arts special version of a mini MegaDrive that have Need for Speed and other recente EA games that only outputs PAL-M).

But to avoid problems like that all my consoles and NTSC-U (bought in US) and NTSC-J, since all our tvs accept NTSC anyway.

Just bought the Saturn NTSC Scart cable and the Genesis with stereo sound Scart cable. Wondering if I should buy also the Master System one right now (I do not have a MS right now, only a Power Base Adapter, but I am looking into buying one unit soon).

I was looking at the SNES Scart cables from retro_console_accessories. Does the raw sync versions work with the Scart to YUV converter in the previous post? Is it better than the normal one if it does?

as far as I understood from her descriptions, the raw versions are better if you are using a scaler, like framemeister. If you want 480i/480p component like me, the normal version os enought.

DasDamen

The oficial Brasilian SDTV standard is PAL-M, an very odd standard that uses NTSC resulution with PAL colour scheme that only is used in Brazil. But all TVs since the 80s also supports NTSC-US as standard, due to the videocassete players, etc.

Yeah, Brazilian manufactured Genesis (called here Megadrive) and Master System should output only PAL-M (I have an Eletronic Arts special version of a mini MegaDrive that have Need for Speed and other recente EA games that only outputs PAL-M).

But to avoid problems like that all my consoles and NTSC-U (bought in US) and NTSC-J, since all our tvs accept NTSC anyway.

Just bought the Saturn NTSC Scart cable and the Genesis with stereo sound Scart cable. Wondering if I should buy also the Master System one right now (I do not have a MS right now, only a Power Base Adapter, but I am looking into buying one unit soon).

Well, it's good to hear that you know exactly what you need. I would have regretted steering you in the wrong direction thinking you were American.

Anyways, I would recommend buying as many cables that will max out the shipping cost. Like they say, RGB (or component) is a helluva drug.

You quite helped me with the RGB/Scart thing. I never tought that there os such a thing as a NTSC Scart, I tought it was a Euro only type of connector. Good to know.

And sorry about the typos in my posts. I am posting from a Windows Phone that keeps trying to correct my english words into weird portuguese things...

I think I will leave the MS cable for later. I also ordered the scarr to component adapter and the audio extractor. I is am expansive month with all the stuff I already bought.

By the way of anyone knows where to buy a Gamecube component cable at a reasonable price please let me know. I am still kicking myshelf for missing the BIN auction of one for 8700 yens some days ago. It would have costed me around $120 after all the fees.

Top Bottom