• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

DasDamen

By the way of anyone knows where to buy a Gamecube component cable at a reasonable price please let me know. I am still kicking myshelf for missing the BIN auction of one for 8700 yens some days ago. It would have costed me around $120 after all the fees.

You could always just buy a Wii that has Gamecube functionality as a cheaper alternative.

You could always just buy a Wii that has Gamecube functionality as a cheaper alternative.

Gamecube has better picture quality over 480p than Wii, and there's also the matter of GBA Player functionality. There is a reason GCN component cables are still in high demand.

Also I do not have a Wii at the moment (but i have a WiiU so I see no reason to buy one) and I have a back launch Gamecube that I want to put in good use.

I also like to play the games in the original hardware it belongs, specially because of the original controller. It is not a problem with Wii/WiiU since they share the wiimote, but for the gamecube I will like to use the original controller.

Anyway I just bought one from Japan (won a yahoo auction). Now let´s see what the end price will be after the fees.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I do own it, but I definitely want to keep it unfortunately.
If you happen to have a different version than mine, I'd just buy and ship a replacement copy to you before even asking you to send yours.

Basically I just don't want to start buying copies of the game off of eBay blindly, only to keep getting duplicates of the one I already have.

televator

Yeah, I love my Gamecube component cab.... Hey, wait a minute! This be the Sega Saturn thread. WTF is a Gamecube?! Nintendo nonsense I tell ya. :p

Seik

Banned
^yup. was just testing GC over component with Wind Waker, Killer 7 & F-Zero GX + XRGB...hot damn does that look smooth

Oh, you have a XRGB? I'm jealous, still waiting to pull the trigger on this. D:

Yeah, I love my Gamecube component cab.... Hey, wait a minute! This be the Sega Saturn thread. WTF is a Gamecube?! Nintendo nonsense I tell ya. :p

The art of derailing my own thread further, haha! Gotta say the Gamecube may be one of my favorite console after the Saturn and the Dreamcast, so I can derail easily and talk about it for a while. :p

That said I'm thinking about working on a GC appreciation/collecting thread, if there isn't one already. I'll probably put some time on this during this week during nights after work.

IrishNinja

^please do! ill totally include it in the Genesis OP, i think GC's far enough back to join Retro-GAF, haha

still debating my first Saturn playthrough now that everything's set up...CJ's thread pushed a few interesting ones like Saga, Dragon Force etc that are high on my list, was waiting to see if anyone on there pushed for something in particular i could play along with

Seik

Banned
^please do! ill totally include it in the Genesis OP, i think GC's far enough back to join Retro-GAF, haha

I agree! :D

Fuck it, let's get to work, I'm leaving Sonic Adventure DX and I'll work on doing a nice thread instead!

EDIT *2 hours later*: Well, it's done, you got me hyped, but now I need some sleep! =_=.

Mikhal

If anyone here happens to own Dragon Force 2, I might be interested in buying it off of you if your copy of the disc fits certain criteria and you're willing to part with it.

http://www.verve-fanworks.com/SMF/index.php?topic=866.0

Would have loved to help out with the project, but I guess mine is the same version as yours.

df2-cdmatrix.jpg

cj_iwakura

If you happen to have a different version than mine, I'd just buy and ship a replacement copy to you before even asking you to send yours.

Basically I just don't want to start buying copies of the game off of eBay blindly, only to keep getting duplicates of the one I already have.

I do have the second version, it looks like; 2186A. I don't see how to find the other revision info, though.

Mikhal

Use this SRP app: http://madroms.satakore.com/

It's a Saturn region patcher, but you can put the CD in your computer and it'll read the headers to find out the version info without having to rip the game and using a hex editor. It even has a link to the game listing on Satakore if you want to use it to fill out your collection on that site.

Do you think that translation is on track for completion? I'd like to try it someday, although I've never heard particularly good things about df2.

cj_iwakura

Do you think that translation is on track for completion? I'd like to try it someday, although I've never heard particularly good things about df2.

Last I heard the dialogue was a long way from being done. The actual hacking was going smoothly, though.

And no, it's not that good. It's in fact terrible compared to DF1, but it's still more DF if you really love the original(as I do).

Just bought Dragon Force from the same guy I bought Flink for the Sega CD from. $87.54, free shipping. Slightly cheaper than I'd expected, honestly...

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Played some Megaman X4. Them heat effects exclusive the the Saturn version are godlike.

I'm scouting for a US CIB copy. Just half-assing it, really; it's been on the back burner for a long time since I already have the PS version. But I am looking forward to owning this (and MM8) someday.

I'm scouting for a US CIB copy. Just half-assing it, really; it's been on the back burner for a long time since I already have the PS version. But I am looking forward to owning this (and MM8) someday.

I got a complete copy for $40 a few months back. I wish MM8 was as easy to track down for a reasonable price.

Posting this here as well as in the Buy/Sell thread: I am looking for a complete (mint condition) copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga (US version). Please PM me if you want to sell yours and we'll work out an arrangement.

emb

I have never understood the fanfare behind the PS1/2/3 D-Pad. It's really unfriendly when compared against the Saturn model 2's.

PS d-pad isn't great, but in a world of GCNs, Xboxes and 360s, it often ended up as the one serviceable option.

(In terms of general fanfare. For that particular question, I just interpret it as asking if the Saturn pad is enough of an upgrade to warrant the pricier version of the game.)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
PS d-pad isn't great, but in a world of GCNs, Xboxes and 360s, it often ended up as the one serviceable option.
I s'pose. I have a lot of PS2 shmups and fighters, and I honestly can't stand the fuckin' thing. I gotta buy a 6 button stick (I have a 3 buttoner which is good for VF and shmups).

(In terms of general fanfare. For that particular question, I just interpret it as asking if the Saturn pad is enough of an upgrade to warrant the pricier version of the game.)

I think the going rate for the JP version is like $30 which isn't bad at all IMO. I personally like collecting US versions when possible so I'm waiting out a good deal on a longbox.

emb

I personally like collecting US versions when possible so I'm waiting out a good deal on a longbox.

I pretty much only plan to go for US games, but it's so expensive/limiting/difficult for Saturn games. I'm so paranoid about those cases falling and cracking after paying so much for them.

Top Bottom