• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Nice CRT. Sony made some great consumer-grade ones. Does it have component in?
here are the buttocks:
la4YuHV.jpeg
so I'll correct myself from earlier, it appears to not support s-video.
^lookin good! its just the colors id wanna see, find that s-vid if you dont have an RGB converter...cause the picture itself is so clean
the photo is cheating the color quality a bit, it's not as faded as it appears there. took some closeups of OutRun and this is closer but a few shades darker than what it looks like in person.

oneida, if you want to get the best image, an RGB cable + RGB -> component video transcoder will give you the best possible image on that set.

Dave Long

Banned
The Sony sets are great and pretty solid construction. I'm so happy with the one I got recently. I have everything from NES to Wii hooked up to it now. Wii U, 360 and PS3 are all I have on the HDTV now, although most of my Virtual Console collection is on the Wii U. I had bought a second Wii later on and only have a handful of things on there.

I do have S-Video on mine as well as component. They're just great TVs and absolutely the best option for retro gaming IMO. It's the truest picture you can get.

oneida

And then... there she was.

Need to replace the cover as both hinges are broke - probably just snag a Madden 98 or something and give it the ol' Frankenstein's monster.

Manual is in acceptable shape, probably the most beat up manual I've got though. Looks good enough.

Back art is in great shape. I've seen some Saturn games get a waviness to the back art - maybe humidity or water exposure. This looks good.

The discs are /pretty good/ but not great. Several have some scuffs, I'll be sure to play through the game ASAP to make sure everything works so that I don't have to return it.

I immediately moved the discs into a CD book where they will hopefully be safer than in the cardboard sleeves.

Mzo

If I'm buying a game that's over $100 it better be the mintiest looking motherfucker in the world. I hate it when people aren't very accurate in their descriptions.

Finally got a nice media shelf to put my stuff up on, but it didn't make it all the way to the real retro stuff. We're gonna need more shelves. It does have a corner dedicated to my modest Saturn library:

Not pictured: Cyberbots LE and the boxed versions of X-men vs. SF, MSH vs. SF, and Vampire Savior

PS - I love the little magazine cut out Astal logo the previous owner glued to the spine. Keeping that forever.

PPS - got this in the mail today:

That's the last of the D "trilogy" that I needed. Halloween might prove to be a slightly different type of D marathon this year.

Couple of questions for SaturnGAF:

1. Does Jap Sai/Arcade Gear ALWAYS include the spine card when it's mentioned in the item description?

2. How does one activate rapid fire in Soukyugurentai Otokuyo? (Must admit I feel a bit stupid asking that question, lol.)

I have acquired dozens of Saturn games over the last few months, domestic and import. When I have the time, I'll post what I have here and hopefully you can suggest other "must have" titles.

P.S. XMultiply is very fun! How come it isn't more talked about? (I picked it up after reading some posts about it a couple pages back. Gotta love classic horizontal shooters. Thanks guys! :)

Seik

Banned
So today I'm a volunteer for a convention in Quebec 'The Warpzone 6' at a museum. There's going to be over 250 people in there wanting to play some awesome games and I'm bringing the best of them all: My good old Sega Saturn with the best multiplayer games selection I can bring! :D

DARIUS GAIDEN
DUNGEON AND DRAGONS COLLECTION: TOWER OF DOOM
DONPACHI
DODONPACHI
DYNAMITE DEKA (DIE HARD)
GALACTIC ATTACK
GUARDIAN HEROES
HYPERDUEL
RADIANT SILVERGUN
SEXY PARODIUS
JIKKYOU OSHABERI PARODIUS
STREET FIGHTER ZERO (ALPHA)
STREET FIGHTER ZERO (ALPHA) 2
STREET FIGHTER ZERO (ALPHA) 3
STREET FIGHTER REAL BATTLE ON FILM
SUPER PUZZLE FIGHTER IIX
MARVEL SUPER HEROES VS STREET FIGHTER
METAL SLUG
POCKER FIGHTER
VAMPIRE HUNTER (DARKSTALKERS)
X-MEN VS. STREET FIGHTER

I'm collecting for shit like that, so that people (and I, of course) can enjoy these games. I remember the last time I participated there was two guys totally going nuts over the fact that I had Radiant Silvergun. They were playing while doing high-fives at the end of each levels. Shit felt good, now I can't wait to see if there's some people in there that will go nuts over Hyperduel!

And then... there she was...

-snip-

...I immediately moved the discs into a CD book where they will hopefully be safer than in the cardboard sleeves.

Whoa, how did I miss this. Congrats!

I recommend putting the discs in a 4 disc jewel case or individual jewel cases. Don't put your valuable discs in those CD books man. They will scratch them over time. They can even damage the label.

oneida

It is blowing my mind right now that the VF roster in Fighters Megamix is the vanilla VF3 iterations of those characters, simply modeled to look like VF2 versions. The game even has the evade button! I always wondered how the Saturn would've handled VF3 - maybe this is how they planned to do it. Don't even bother trying to tackle Model 3, just look like VF2 and play like VF3.

The training mode is really, really dope. Somehow, I think I completely ignored it when I picked this game up a few years ago - even though I sunk dozens of hours into it. This training mode actually has command training in it, that's really cool! It's annoying that it doesn't offer command training for the hidden characters, but I'm having a blast going through the VF guys and seeing moves from 3 come out of the VF2 models.

You can change the music in Training by pressing L or R with the Start menu up in training. There's some great remixes in there!

There also seems to be a single VF3 track on the sound text...

Pretty sure the announcer is the VF3 announcer, too!

Sorry if this is all already known.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I immediately moved the discs into a CD book where they will hopefully be safer than in the cardboard sleeves.

Dude, CD books are terrible. They scratch disks pretty easily. Get them out of there! That's an out of the frying pan and into the fryer situation!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Dude, CD books are terrible. They scratch disks pretty easily. Get them out of there! That's an out of the frying pan and into the fryer situation!

This! The best way to store discs is to keep then in their original packaging or some kind of jewel case so the surface isn't coming into contact with anything, and stored vertically so gravity doesn't cause warping over time.

For long term storage, cd books and sleeves are one of the worst options and a big potential cause of disc rot.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
¯_(ツ)_/¯
I have used CD books for disc storage since shortly after Dreamcast launch.

as those discs continue to get older you might want to rethink the way you store them if you really want them to last. disc rot is a real thing and the biggest threat to people who buy and play old cds.

you might get lucky and not have any problems for a long time, but it's not worth the risk, in my opinion.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
¯_(ツ)_/¯

They're still not a very safe place for disks, man. Even paper sleeves are safer because there's much less friction. That kind of fabric is not good for discs.

Metzhara

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Savage!

Part of the fun of having an old catalog of games is moving to the cabinet, browsing the selection, opening the case (sometimes ogling...caressing...), turning on some soft jazz.
Then you walk her over to her cradle. Place her inside...
Ok this is weird.
Let's just say there's a magic to taking the game from the rack and placing it in the tray. It's like selecting a wine...I'm told. -Adam

Ramune

This! The best way to store discs is to keep then in their original packaging or some kind of jewel case so the surface isn't coming into contact with anything, and stored vertically so gravity doesn't cause warping over time.

For long term storage, cd books and sleeves are one of the worst options and a big potential cause of disc rot.

I can second that those things are terrible for scratching up discs.

D: !!!
Is that so?! I've had my Saturn and Dreamcast discs in a CD book since I got my Dreamcast! If that's the case, better get them out while they aren't scuffed thank goodness!

Seik

Banned
So I just came back.

Of all the game I brought, in 12 hours, 11 hours were people playing Dodonpachi and the last hour was Radiant Silvergun. Though I got to see two guys rocking it like it was nothing and that was fucking beautiful to watch.

Bar81

So I just came back.

Of all the game I brought, in 12 hours, 11 hours were people playing Dodonpachi and the last hour was Radiant Silvergun. Though I got to see two guys rocking it like it was nothing and that was fucking beautiful to watch.

So no one played:

DUNGEON AND DRAGONS COLLECTION: TOWER OF DOOM
DYNAMITE DEKA (DIE HARD)
GALACTIC ATTACK

Gamers now are so sad.

meppi

It is blowing my mind right now that the VF roster in Fighters Megamix is the vanilla VF3 iterations of those characters, simply modeled to look like VF2 versions. The game even has the evade button! I always wondered how the Saturn would've handled VF3 - maybe this is how they planned to do it. Don't even bother trying to tackle Model 3, just look like VF2 and play like VF3.

snip

Oh yeah, Fighters Megamix was really pushing the system quite a bit even if people mostly don't realise it. It was basically the first step to getting Virtua Fighter 3 on the Saturn, which later on was cancelled.
There were quite a few great features on the game back in the day in CVG and Sega Saturn Magazine detailing all the work that went into the game trying to pack the VF3 innovations into the game.

Just as I'm starting to remember a couple more details. Certain new characters in Fighters Megamix actually got part of their moveset from VF3 ones.
The only one I can remember right now is Jane from Virtua Cop 2, but I know there was at least one other...

oneida

Fighters Megamix, man. I was just recalling how the name entry music was the same as the one in Outrun. I wish we got a sequel.

One of the most relaxing video game jingles ever! It seems some fans of SEGA music don't care for anything past the Model 2 era - I think there's lots to enjoy, but I can see why the old stuff is favored.

Oh yeah, Fighters Megamix was really pushing the system quite a bit even if people mostly don't realise it. It was basically the first step to getting Virtua Fighter 3 on the Saturn, which later on was cancelled.
There were quite a few great features on the game back in the day in CVG and Sega Saturn Magazine detailing all the work that went into the game trying to pack the VF3 innovations into the game.

Just as I'm starting to remember a couple more details. Certain new characters in Fighters Megamix actually got part of their moveset from VF3 ones.
The only one I can remember right now is Jane from Virtua Cop 2, but I know there was at least one other...

I'm cross-checking the movelists in Megamix and VFDC's charts for VF3tb and they're identical. The only thing missing are the moves from evade, can anyone confirm that those moves were added in 3tb and not present in 3?

Also I fiddled with Janet's moves and you're absolutely right! This is an exciting revelation; the hidden characters' movelists are not displayed in training mode, but running through this list it's all here! :D This is so great, it's especially cool to see Janet doing Aoi's elaborate throw strings.

Her First Dan Throw II strings seem to be missing, or I'm just fucking up the inputs. Should be 41236P+G. FDTI is there (63214 P+G).

Janet also has a move where she whips out a gun and shoots a hole through her opponent (46P+K). I would love to see this move added to Aoi's command list for VF6. :lol

Thanks for all the replies about Soukyugurentai. Had more time with the game and it's simply amazing (yeah, right shoulder button for rapid fire... lol @ me). Definitely one title I'll come back to often. Takes the Galactic Attack/RayStorm homing missile formula to another level.

What do Saturn scholars up in this thread think of Stellar Assault SS and Galaxy Force II? Regardless of price, are these titles still playable in this day and age?

P.S. Seik, the convention you attended, was it part of the Museum of Civilization showcase about the history of videogames?

Love Saturn! One of those consoles I have a soft spot for, love the shmups the whole import scene and the fact it was the underdog console of it's generation and so massively underrated.

Still have my 1995 PAL launch day model (60hz modded and region free of course!) Reliable machines too and host to the best controller for 2D gameplay.

Tain

What do Saturn scholars up in this thread think of Stellar Assault SS and Galaxy Force II? Regardless of price, are these titles still playable in this day and age?

Can't speak about Stellar Assault, but with Galaxy Force II, you're much better off with the PS2 Sega Ages 2500 version. I mean, that should be the assumption in any situation in which a PS2 Sega Ages 2500 version exists, but Galaxy Force II is also particularly disappointing on the Saturn from what I've heard.

Galdelico

Ok, I'm a collector but this is quite new to me.
I keep 90% of my collection on shelves so all the games are on their original cases and stored vertically as you said.
That said, I also have a couple of CD/DVD tower-displays where you place your games horizontally, one over another. Are they just as bad and warp-inducing?

meppi

I'm cross-checking the movelists in Megamix and VFDC's charts for VF3tb and they're identical. The only thing missing are the moves from evade, can anyone confirm that those moves were added in 3tb and not present in 3?

Also I fiddled with Janet's moves and you're absolutely right! This is an exciting revelation; the hidden characters' movelists are not displayed in training mode, but running through this list it's all here! :D This is so great, it's especially cool to see Janet doing Aoi's elaborate throw strings.

Her First Dan Throw II strings seem to be missing, or I'm just fucking up the inputs. Should be 41236P+G. FDTI is there (63214 P+G).

Janet also has a move where she whips out a gun and shoots a hole through her opponent (46P+K). I would love to see this move added to Aoi's command list for VF6. :lol

:)
Gonna see if I can find the specials that talked about all this tomorrow.
I believe it should be in CVG as I didn't get Sega Saturn Magazine till it was nearly discontinued. If I can find the correct articles I'll do a quick scan of them. Don't think anyone will mind me putting them up here.

Funny fact is that Fighters Megamix was my very first Sega Saturn game along with Sega Rally.
I was so tired of all the brown polygon games that had started flooding the PSone and the droughts were hitting the N64 quite hard that I felt I really would like another system to play some colourful and arcade style games.
They were just doing a special with 2 of the new controllers packed in a two games. One being Sega rally and I'm not sure what the other was, but I was able to convince the shop to give me Fighters Megamix instead.

Took everything home, hooked it up and was terrible at both. Never really played VF seriously before besides a couple of goes in the arcade and playing Sega Rally looked more like playing a pinball game. Couldn't keep the car on the track at all.

Since it was already late at night, I went to bed disappointed, thinking I might have made a huge mistake in buying this system and those games.
But I remembered from the people writing for CVG and Joypad that they kept saying that some of these games do take a bit of time for the brilliance to shine through.
So the next day I went back to them and decided to stick to them. Soon after both of them clicked and I haven't looked back since. :)
Sega Rally 1995 is still my favourite racing game till this day.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Ok, I'm a collector but this is quite new to me.
I keep 90% of my collection on shelves so all the games are on their original cases and stored vertically as you said.
That said, I also have a couple of CD/DVD tower-displays where you place your games horizontally, one over another. Are they just as bad and warp-inducing?

The horizontal thing isn't a very big deal as cds are very small unlike records or laser discs so we are talking a pretty long-ass time here, but they are being suspended so there would be a small amout of force being exerted on the outer edges. Unlike disc rot, which is definitely real, there isn't any way to actually prove warping is caused by any kind of improper storage over time. it's just something to consider.

like I said these discs are SUPER old now, and I'm not taking any chances with mine.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
You can chain that move into itself 3 times for 3 rapid shots. Doing it again triggers a reload, complete with Virtua Cop voice over.

IIRC, you also need to break the Hornet's armor in order to gain access to most of his movelist. There's a manual armor break command. Can't remember if it was universal or character specific though.

Dural swiped an SRK-style uppercut from one of the Fighting Vipers.

That's all the random movelist quirks I remember.

oneida

Dural swiped an SRK-style uppercut from one of the Fighting Vipers.

Is it possible that's Kage's 623P? she might have had it in VF3 too.
IIRC, you also need to break the Hornet's armor in order to gain access to most of his movelist. There's a manual armor break command. Can't remember if it was universal or character specific though.
Actually I just recently learned about this - it's universal and detailed in the achievements for the XBLA port of FV. Command is 6464P+K+G.

Galdelico

The horizontal thing isn't a very big deal as cds are very small unlike records or laser discs so we are talking a pretty long-ass time here, but they are being suspended so there would be a small amout of force being exerted on the outer edges. Unlike disc rot, which is definitely real, there isn't any way to actually prove warping is caused by any kind of improper storage over time. it's just something to consider.

like I said these discs are SUPER old now, and I'm not taking any chances with mine.
Thanks sir, I just never thought of it as a possible cause of damage but I can see you have a point here, especially on the long run. I'll definitely try and move those games (they are all PS360 tho, so relatively new) somewhere else.

sZZKNp2l.jpg

Been waiting for these for a while. Paid $60 total. Anyway, I used to badmouth Shienryu but I like it a lot, now. And of course Wipeout is Wipeout, although I wouldn't be lying if I said I kind of bought this one just because it's one of the more expensive Saturn imports.

oneida

sZZKNp2l.jpg

Been waiting for these for a while. Paid $60 total. Anyway, I used to badmouth Shienryu but I like it a lot, now. And of course Wipeout is Wipeout, although I wouldn't be lying if I said I kind of bought this one just because it's one of the more expensive Saturn imports.
nice pickups! I enjoy shienryu.

what's in your Saturn this weekend, SaturnGAF? having lots of fun with Salamander 2 tonight.

sZZKNp2l.jpg

I've always wondered how XL plays with the Saturn 3D pad. Impressions?

what's in your Saturn this weekend, SaturnGAF? having lots of fun with Salamander 2 tonight.
Mine's empty currently. As far as console games go, I've been infatuated with Xenoblade, and probably won't be moving on to anything else until that's done.

Exhumed doesn't support the 3D pad, does it?
Powerslave does. I can only assume its PAL version does too, therefore. Dunno if you really get analog out of the analog pad, but it does support using it to move and look around.

Top Bottom