• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Well, Quake does, too, as I recall; it even has some sort of code to make it permanently look and use face buttons to move around, or something? Not 100% on that one. I never actually got Quake, since the PC version is more than sufficient for me (although I've had a saved eBay search for it for forever constantly flooding my inbox, heh).

what's in your Saturn this weekend, SaturnGAF? having lots of fun with Salamander 2 tonight.
Played Gekirindan earlier today, then, with my son, mashed our way through Tower of Doom tonight. (I might still end up purchasing the game on PSN or Wii U some time down the road - I'd like to actually understand what the hell is going on/I'm doing, lol.)

I'm about to play either Blast Wind or Soukyugurentai Otokuyo before going to sleep - these two have been my go-to games this week. Both are amazing IMO.

P.S. I just put up Metal Black and Power Drift on eBay. Both are like new, if anyone's interested.

I misread this as you picking up Metal Black, and was about to commend you. Why are you parting ways with it?
Funny thing, this morning I woke up having second thoughts about Metal Black and decided to terminate the auction.

I think I felt like selling it because I was underwhelmed by its slow pace compared to the shooting games I was playing all week. I rationalized that I already had the game on Taito Legends 2 yada yada, but it doesn't seem to run as well/is a bit washed out on PS2 for some reason, unlike G Darius or RayStorm which seem perfectly emulated.

P.S. What's your opinion of (Arcade Gears edition) Gun Frontier?

Well, Quake does, too, as I recall; it even has some sort of code to make it permanently look and use face buttons to move around, or something? Not 100% on that one. I never actually got Quake, since the PC version is more than sufficient for me (although I've had a saved eBay search for it for forever constantly flooding my inbox, heh).

"Jevon" Control mode. It was a good idea but it still doesn't fix the fact that I'm too used to "looking" with my right thumb, not my left. I hate that Quake Saturn is such an awesome port and yet the controls are so unwieldy that I can't really play it.

Back in the day if you had time to immerse yourself in it, then yeah I'm sure it worked. But trying to skip back and forth between it and modern FPS just doesn't work.

Anyone got Leynos 2/Target Earth 2? Awesome gem that is.

I've owned this for a while, love the graphics but I haven't gotten very far. I find it confusing without knowing Japanese. I need to make a dedicated effort, though.

The problem with Taito Legends on PS2 is that blasted forced 480i. The Saturn ports are 240p and look sharper and more accurate to the arcade as a result.
Even though I have Taito Legends 2, I prefer playing the standalone ports of Layer Section, Darius Gaiden, and Elevator Action Returns on the Saturn for this reason.

Crisium

Anyone got Leynos 2/Target Earth 2? Awesome gem that is.

It's so hard. I played it back in 2007 and was able to beat it through sheer will. But I have never been able to do a replay since every time I try I am beaten down so fast and I don't want to bother learning again. Part of it is also every time I take out my Saturn I just want to play Guardian Heroes or Radiant Silvergun. ;)

But it was very fun and rewarding the first time I played, so it's worth a recommendation.

The problem with Taito Legends on PS2 is that blasted forced 480i. The Saturn ports are 240p and look sharper and more accurate to the arcade as a result.
Even though I have Taito Legends 2, I prefer playing the standalone ports of Layer Section, Darius Gaiden, and Elevator Action Returns on the Saturn for this reason.
Fair enough. But how about G Darius and RayStorm? I owned both on PS1 at some point and I don't really see a difference vs. their respective Taito Legends versions.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I think I felt like selling it because I was underwhelmed by its slow pace compared to the shooting games I was playing all week. I rationalized that I already had the game on Taito Legends 2 yada yada, but it doesn't seem to run as well/is a bit washed out on PS2 for some reason, unlike G Darius or RayStorm which seem perfectly emulated.

P.S. What's your opinion of (Arcade Gears edition) Gun Frontier?
I haven't yet grown to appreciate Gun Frontier, but given the slow-burn that Metal Black was for me I suspect that I may end up liking it.

it is probably known by now that I am a huge Metal Black fanboy, but I didn't always like the game. somehow it's mechanics just weren't enjoyable until one day everything just clicked. I discovered the game through Taito Legends 2, played it a bit, then shelved it in favor of more gratifying games like Grid Seeker. MONTHS later I had this urge to give it another go. I watched the intro, I started the game, and it was just incredible how everything just made sense.

I'd like to make a video about Metal Black. I think it's a brilliant shmup that should appeal to fans of less conventional shmups like the Treasure games, in part because it plays on the genre tropes and seems more artistically minded ( read: more about expression, less about pure stimulation) than other Taito shmups.

I can't teach you how to love a game but maybe I could demonstrate why I do. also gives me something to do this weekend as my VF5 sparring partner is out of town.

I haven't yet grown to appreciate Gun Frontier, but given the slow-burn that Metal Black was for me I suspect that I may end up liking it.

it is probably known by now that I am a huge Metal Black fanboy, but I didn't always like the game. somehow it's mechanics just weren't enjoyable until one day everything just clicked. I discovered the game through Taito Legends 2, played it a bit, then shelved it in favor of more gratifying games like Grid Seeker. MONTHS later I had this urge to give it another go. I watched the intro, I started the game, and it was just incredible how everything just made sense.

I'd like to make a video about Metal Black. I think it's a brilliant shmup that should appeal to fans of less conventional shmups like the Treasure games, in part because it plays on the genre tropes and seems more artistically minded ( read: more about expression, less about pure stimulation) than other Taito shmups.

I can't teach you how to love a game but maybe I could demonstrate why I do. also gives me something to do this weekend as my VF5 sparring partner is out of town.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that loves Metal Black that much. I'm still trying to find a decent copy of the game for Saturn, or heaven forbid, the actual board for my cabinet. I think it's one of Zuntata's best OST's as well, not to mention having one of the best remix discs. There's something so somber about the entire game, it has almost that depressing air that R-type does, with the neverending battle with the Bydo.

Oh man I knew it. Now I want to track down a copy... Even though I already have it on Playstation.

...with a NeGcon.

Haha, nice.

Some things to be aware of if you're coming from the PSOne version:

- Saturn has dithered transparencies, but not full-screen dithering (yay!)
- Saturn runs at a lower framerate, but has a longer draw distance and shorter load times

Haha, nice.

- Saturn runs at a lower framerate, but has a longer draw distance and shorter load times
Wow, the framerate I expected, but longer draw distance? Crazy.

Haha, nice.

-Saturn has no multiplayer, while on Playstation it supports system-link multiplayer. This is the same as Saturn Wipeout 1, which also removes the PS1's system-link multiplayer mode. At least Wipeout XL on Saturn does have analog control support, though! The original Wipeout supports the wheel, sure, but turning is clearly not proportional...

OmegaDL50

I only owned four Saturn games. I loved the system and wish I still had it.

I had a basement flood and had some stuff in storage, my Saturn was destroyed during the flood.

Dragon Force, Shining the Holy Ark, Virtua Fighter 2, and Daytona USA.

How I would have loved to play Shining Force III.

Slermy

Powerslave does. I can only assume its PAL version does too, therefore. Dunno if you really get analog out of the analog pad, but it does support using it to move and look around.

What!?! Mind blown. I'm gonna have to try that out.

As for what's in my Saturn, it's empty. With the exception of my NES and current gen consoles, I like to put away the games after playing with them.

It's not really any different from the digital controls, outside of (possibly?) having the benefits of analog (turning somewhat slower or faster depending on the situation).

Teknoman

It is blowing my mind right now that the VF roster in Fighters Megamix is the vanilla VF3 iterations of those characters, simply modeled to look like VF2 versions. The game even has the evade button! I always wondered how the Saturn would've handled VF3 - maybe this is how they planned to do it. Don't even bother trying to tackle Model 3, just look like VF2 and play like VF3.

The training mode is really, really dope. Somehow, I think I completely ignored it when I picked this game up a few years ago - even though I sunk dozens of hours into it. This training mode actually has command training in it, that's really cool! It's annoying that it doesn't offer command training for the hidden characters, but I'm having a blast going through the VF guys and seeing moves from 3 come out of the VF2 models.

You can change the music in Training by pressing L or R with the Start menu up in training. There's some great remixes in there!

There also seems to be a single VF3 track on the sound text...

Pretty sure the announcer is the VF3 announcer, too!

Sorry if this is all already known.

I wish they had the VF3 attract theme in the soundtest. I only knew it as that "awesome desert stage theme" music back in the day.

EDIT: XMultiply looks interesting...of course its only listed for $90 >_>

Crank dat Hyper Duel music.

Trying to take screens for an HCG101 article. It's a shmup and the input lag in SSF is a complete pain. Hard enough trying to play a shmup with a keyboard. Any way to fix it?

-Saturn has no multiplayer, while on Playstation it supports system-link multiplayer. This is the same as Saturn Wipeout 1, which also removes the PS1's system-link multiplayer mode. At least Wipeout XL on Saturn does have analog control support, though! The original Wipeout supports the wheel, sure, but turning is clearly not proportional...

Doesn't the Saturn version of WipEout 1 have an extra song on it's soundtrack too?

Doesn't the Saturn version of WipEout 1 have an extra song on it's soundtrack too?

Saturn has 3 exclusives by Rob Lord and Mark Bandola.

http://wipeout.wikia.com/wiki/Wipeout_(video_game)

Also, Yakumo suggests that Wireframe Mode in SS Wipeout XL is 30FPS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8yLq45tDGc

I'll have to check with my copy.

EDIT: I can't tell a difference. Tried to check in SSF with FRAPS but it says the game's running at 50FPS which can't be true.

Defunkled

I just bought Dragon Force from a local shop and it cost $85. The case is a little scuffed on the front but it's barely noticeable and there are no cracks. The disc and manual are in excellent condition.

Did I get a good deal? I'm new to Saturn collecting so I'm not used to dropping $90 on a game.

I just bought Dragon Force from a local shop and it cost $85. The case is a little scuffed on the front but it's barely noticeable and there are no cracks. The disc and manual are in excellent condition.

Did I get a good deal? I'm new to Saturn collecting so I'm not used to dropping $90 on a game.

Just a decent price earlier in the year; haven't looked recently but it might be a very good deal now. Saturn prices move fast.

Edit: You did fine: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sac...on+force+saturn&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

Beckx

Virtual On Twin Stick get!

BVIXqvNCYAATUWx.jpg

meppi

Also, Yakumo suggests that Wireframe Mode in SS Wipeout XL is 30FPS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8yLq45tDGc

Ah, Messij Received. Loved that track nearly as much as the original.
Sad they don't make music like this anymore. That's the one thing that really disappoints me in WipEout 2048.

Oh, just checking something out. Didn't realise that CoLD SToRAGE actually released 2 re-mastered albums! Gonna have to buy these right away and put them on my Vita and PS3. :D

Ah, Messij Received. Loved that track nearly as much as the original.
Sad they don't make music like this anymore. That's the one thing that really disappoints me in WipEout 2048.

Oh, just checking something out. Didn't realise that CoLD SToRAGE actually released 2 re-mastered albums! Gonna have to buy these right away and put them on my Vita and PS3. :D

Oh shit! Dude, you delivered!

And yeah, I'm really enjoying Wipeout XL. I am still surprised that this is apparently the franchise favorite, though (specifically vs. Wipeout 3).

meppi

Oh shit! Dude, you delivered!

And yeah, I'm really enjoying Wipeout XL. I am still surprised that this is apparently the franchise favorite, though (specifically vs. Wipeout 3).

:)

Just bought Canada EP as well as it's a re-imagining of Canada on WipEout 2097 to celebrate the release of 2048.
Has 2 great remixes of that track. This along with those 2 full albums will surely make me enjoy my newly bought copy of 2048 so much more. :D

I really have a soft spot for the original WipEout even to this day.
I absolutely love how playing on different speed options made the game environment change so much. Love the night-time races.
That's one thing they never did after the first one, which is such a damn shame.

But yeah, I have to say my overall favourite has to be 2097. The game is just perfect.

:)

Just bought Canada EP as well as it's a re-imagining of Canada on WipEout 2097 to celebrate the release of 2048.
Has 2 great remixes of that track. This along with those 2 full albums will surely make me enjoy my newly bought copy of 2048 so much more. :D

Yeah, I had no idea he was so active still. Great to see.

BTW anyone - any point in playing original Saturn Wipeout if I have Wipeout XL?

Also I kind of want to pull Cyber Speedway off my shelf and try it out now. Bought it b/c of GAU/Nextech but never played it much.

meppi

Yeah, I had no idea he was so active still. Great to see.

BTW anyone - any point in playing original Saturn Wipeout if I have Wipeout XL?

Also I kind of want to pull Cyber Speedway off my shelf and try it out now. Bought it b/c of GAU/Nextech but never played it much.

Couldn't get into Cyber Speedway myself, although I have to say I only tried a couple of couple of rounds. The controls didn't quite work for me I'm afraid.

As for playing the original WipEout? Absolutely. It feels a bit more loose compared to XL, and perhaps a little less refined. It's also much more unforgiving when brushing up against the sides.
But it has great courses and a very different atmosphere from the second one.
Make sure you unlock Rapier class as well to see the different time of day courses.

Normal Venom versions.
Rapier ones

Oh, and I certainly don't want to self promote, and I certainly don't get anything from doing this, but for Saturn fans (especially UK/European ones) looking for a nice nostalgia boost, you might want to check these out.

Couldn't get into Cyber Speedway myself, although I have to say I only tried a couple of couple of rounds. The controls didn't quite work for me I'm afraid.

As for playing the original WipEout? Absolutely. It feels a bit more loose compared to XL, and perhaps a little less refined. It's also much more unforgiving when brushing up against the sides.
But it has great courses and a very different atmosphere from the second one.
Make sure you unlock Rapier class as well to see the different time of day courses.

Normal Venom versions.
Rapier ones

Oh, and I certainly don't want to self promote, and I certainly don't get anything from doing this, but for Saturn fans (especially UK/European ones) looking for a nice nostalgia boost, you might want to check these out.

Okay, I might pick up the first Wipeout after all. I cannot get gold on the last two XL/2097 tracks, anyway. :)

Now, I already have all the SSMs in digital but I click the Wipeout one for hell of it and all the downloads look broken...

meppi

Okay, I might pick up the first Wipeout after all. I cannot get gold on the last two XL/2097 tracks, anyway. :)

Now, I already have all the SSMs in digital but I click the Wipeout one for hell of it and all the downloads look broken...

Yeah, I did all those original scans about 5 years ago myself actually. ;)
But those were my early days, so the quality of those is severely lacking. These new ones are fully and painstakingly restored as well as much better resolution and colour settings.
Broken downloads? You tried issue 5 correct? I just clicked all 3 different sizes and they all start downloading without any problem on my end. :-/

Yeah, I did all those original scans about 5 years ago myself actually. ;)
But those were my early days, so the quality of those is severely lacking. These new ones are fully and painstakingly restored as well as much better resolution and colour settings.
Broken downloads? You tried issue 5 correct? I just clicked all 3 different sizes and they all start downloading without any problem on my end. :-/

Hah, you're the SSM scan source? Excellent. Of course they didn't credit you where I got it. :/

I just get a server error in Chrome when it forwards me to the FileFactory link. I'll try again on my home internet connection this evening.

meppi

Hah, you're the SSM scan source? Excellent. Of course they didn't credit you where I got it. :/

I just get a server error in Chrome when it forwards me to the FileFactory link. I'll try again on my home internet connection this evening.

Yeah that's me. :) They rarely do give credit do they? But then again, I'm not doing it to get recognition. ;)
Started doing those but didn't have any experience with that kinda stuff. Really improved my techniques over the years. This should give a nice view into what going into the restoration of old magazines. The lower ones are clickable GIFs so you can see the before/after images. Quite the difference I think.

Just tried to download one with Firefox and I'm only getting a blank page for some reason. Gonna look into this as I'm not sure of it's a site problem or a setting on my end that's causing this. It was working fine yesterday, so I'm guessing a server thing. :-/

I've only played the first Wipeout on the Saturn and HD.

I was really confused as to why HD didn't seem to play anything like the first Wipeout did.

Retro gaming in general is skyrocketing in prices. Just look at SNES games!

Although Genesis games are still fairly reasonably priced, and Saturn games always were a bit more expensive for some reason.

Top Bottom