• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

IrishNinja

Though I doubt you'd want mine. Most of them are in bad shape or broken which is another reason I'm shrinking down. Blame the clumsy used game stores/ebay.

yeah, that was the other thing about those Sega-CD boxes, the tabs would break crazy easy if you weren't careful with em. i took good care of mine but i recall either Lunar 1 or 2 snapped when a friend borrowed it, bummed me out.

it's funny though, even with the weaker art & quality i still prefer them to the clearly-aesthetically-superior japanese jewel cases, probably because my mind associates them with mid 90's.

i really do gotta either emulate or look up some of those japanese ones though; again Sega Ages & Bomberman are way way cheaper and i don't think the language barrier will mess me up much.

also, related: i keep meaning to look up if the SF III fan translation for all campaigns ever tied up! i wanna say it did?

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of "friends" borrowing things. I let my old friend borrow Nights and Virtual On while he let me borrow Sonic Jam and that Aliens game years ago. Well I kept trying to return them and get my games back but he never got around to it and I haven't seen him since. I'm guessing I ended up with the better deal in the end though right? Also this is why I don't let people borrow from me anymore.

cj_iwakura

yeah, that was the other thing about those Sega-CD boxes, the tabs would break crazy easy if you weren't careful with em. i took good care of mine but i recall either Lunar 1 or 2 snapped when a friend borrowed it, bummed me out.

it's funny though, even with the weaker art & quality i still prefer them to the clearly-aesthetically-superior japanese jewel cases, probably because my mind associates them with mid 90's.

i really do gotta either emulate or look up some of those japanese ones though; again Sega Ages & Bomberman are way way cheaper and i don't think the language barrier will mess me up much.

also, related: i keep meaning to look up if the SF III fan translation for all campaigns ever tied up! i wanna say it did?

Pretty sure they did. I even finished Scenario 1 on my copy. Enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. Very ahead of its time. Wasn't as bad as I feared, Scenario 1 does tie itself up pretty well.

Speaking of "friends" borrowing things. I let my old friend borrow Nights and Virtual On while he let me borrow Sonic Jam and that Aliens game years ago. Well I kept trying to return them and get my games back but he never got around to it and I haven't seen him since. I'm guessing I ended up with the better deal in the end though right? Also this is why I don't let people borrow from me anymore.

I had Night Trap for Sega CD in perfect condition and I let my friend borrow it. Well..it came back torn with dog pee on it. Same thing happened to my Dragonball GT for psx with the same friend. Never again. This was when I was heavy into video games and kept my collection in great condition. I'm not into video games as much anymore but it still kinda irks me how people can't keep what you give them in good condition.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

I just got my 2 copies of shining force 3 parts 2 and 3. Going to give this fan translation a shot. I will post here if it works.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
What kinda kills me is when I see people charging alot for disc only.

I'd so like to find a disc only of Shining Force 3 that's a little bit less than a complete one.

Speaking of Shining Force 3 is it possible to patch over the original disc? Or does that only apply to burned disc of it. I'd so get 2 and 3 if you could do that to translate them and play it on the system instead of an emulator.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Speaking of Shining Force 3 is it possible to patch over the original disc? Or does that only apply to burned disc of it. I'd so get 2 and 3 if you could do that to translate them and play it on the system instead of an emulator.
You can't patch the original discs of course, it's either a patched ISO that you mount into your emulator, or a burned CD you play on emulator, OR a burned CD you play into your a) modded Saturn (model 2) or b) unmodded model 1 Saturn using the disc swapping trick.

I did the last option (disc swapping trick) for ShF3.3. It worked fine for a while... until I started getting disc read errors midway into the game. ;_; I had loaded saves from previous scenarios too, pity. I'm gonna replay all of them on emulator at some point, I think. Less headache that way, and I replaced my Saturn recently and I'd rather not try to unscrew the case and tape the disc-opening trigger thing again.

IrishNinja

Gentlemen...this next year is the 20th anniversary of this system, and i have a proposal

we are entering the early drought period for 2 of the 3 current gen systems. ideally this is the time when devs get a chance to try out new IP's and feel out demographics/etc (and i hope they do just this), but from launch lineup on, you see many clamoring for sequels to established franchies: Metal Gear V (and that full price demo, haha), FF XV, Uncharted next, etc. Meanwhile, one system was so hardcore, it ignored this & came out the gate with its own IPs & kept at that: Panzer Dragoon, Burning Rangers, NiGHTS, Guardian Heroes, Clockwork Knight and so on while Shinobi, Golden Axe and even Sonic very obviously got the backseat. on-the-rise FPS's had a corner, but not like fighters and SHMUPs did. Hell, even the US box art screamed "buy me or not, i clearly don't give a fuck."

sure some of these decisions certainly didn't help it's longevity, but it's nearly 2 decades later and frankly, fuck sales-age anyway: i saw we should celebrate the unforgivingly hardcore little beast and make 2014 Year of the Saturn, who's with me!?

Hilbert

I can join you, I am not getting new systems for a while, and I decided to go back through my old Saturn library. So it will be the year of the Saturn for me anyway!

Seik

Banned
Gentlemen...this next year is the 20th anniversary of this system, and i have a proposal

we are entering the early drought period for 2 of the 3 current gen systems. ideally this is the time when devs get a chance to try out new IP's and feel out demographics/etc (and i hope they do just this), but from launch lineup on, you see many clamoring for sequels to established franchies: Metal Gear V (and that full price demo, haha), FF XV, Uncharted next, etc. Meanwhile, one system was so hardcore, it ignored this & came out the gate with its own IPs & kept at that: Panzer Dragoon, Burning Rangers, NiGHTS, Guardian Heroes, Clockwork Knight and so on while Shinobi, Golden Axe and even Sonic very obviously got the backseat. on-the-rise FPS's had a corner, but not like fighters and SHMUPs did. Hell, even the US box art screamed "buy me or not, i clearly don't give a fuck."

sure some of these decisions certainly didn't help it's longevity, but it's nearly 2 decades later and frankly, fuck sales-age anyway: i saw we should celebrate the unforgivingly hardcore little beast and make 2014 Year of the Saturn, who's with me!?

You have my sword.

Celine

But I like sales-age ;_;

I'm with you on celebrating Sega Saturn next year though!

I'm in, could definitely go for replaying some old favorites and some of the gems I missed. Might even see if I can get some new video cables and hook the old girl up again, though I do need to get her modded. Beautiful games, beautiful hardware, and hey, 2014 would be her 20th anniversary. (Playstation's too, but fuck that thing for killing my baby dead.)

So what do we do? 1 game a month, 2, 6? So much goodness to be had.

Mzo

I am down to fuck; let's do this.

I might have some Saturn goodness coming down the line real soon. This system is a beast.

IrishNinja

I'm with you! I fear we'll only hear crickets though.

there's seven of us so far! to quote chris rock "that's more friends that i got now!"

But I like sales-age ;_;

bah, sales-age is for pop-fans and casuals! no true vita sega fan should have need of it
i think it's fine, just overvauled & not really for me; i want good games, not stock investments

So what do we do? 1 game a month, 2, 6? So much goodness to be had.

well, cj_iwakura used to try 1 game a month and had a hard enough time with that, but then many of those (i think) were JRPGs, and expensive. then again if we pick something super short like say Die Hard Arcade we won't have anything for the next day, haha...what's a good/cheap game most of you have? maybe we should start with Panzer Dragoon 1!

My Saturn library is in definite need of some fleshing out that I've been delaying for god-knows-how-long. I'd be game.

Will be a good chance to motivate myself to pick up some essentials for my collection, at least.

well, cj_iwakura used to try 1 game a month and had a hard enough time with that, but then many of those (i think) were JRPGs, and expensive. then again if we pick something super short like say Die Hard Arcade we won't have anything for the next day, haha...what's a good/cheap game most of you have? maybe we should start with Panzer Dragoon 1!

Well, an interesting idea, especially because a lot Saturn games are so short would be to vary it by game length. For example, I think we could easily do a PD month with PD and PDZ (Saga could have a month by itself) as you can get through both of those in a few hours tops.

We could also have a SHMUP month with games like DARIUS Gaiden and Galactic Attack, the freebie month with Virtua Cop, VF2, and Daytona along with other Arcade ports, Yuji Naka month with Nights and Burning Rangers, and so on.

IrishNinja

^i like it! something like:

January - Presented for your Pleasure: Panzer Dragoon & Zwei
February - Arcade Madness: Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona
March - SHMUPs!: Darius Gaiden, DoDonPachi, Galactic Attack, Cotton, The League of Prestigious Ballers: Hyper Duel club, etc
April - April showers bring Blue Shadows: X-Men COTA, vs Street Fighter, Marvel Superheros, Marvel vs SF
May - the joys of working with Yuji Naka: Burning Rangers & NiGHTS (maybe save this for dec so christmas NiGHTS can tie in?)
June - emulate-this-if-you-need-both-kidneys-JRPG-month: i guess we could figure out between Shining Ark, Wisdom, Albert Odyssey etc which one people have/would wanna play

etc, up till:

October - R.I.P. Kenji Eno (secret best dev): Enemy Zero, D

something like that? what do you guys think?

Yes Boss!

I'm with you. I plan to fully complete my Saturn Collection next spring. I've only got about twenty-five more titles to go. Most of them are fairly inexpensive imports. The most expensive likely being the Image Fight/X-Multiply disc.

JEKKI

I had the opportunity to speak with one of the localizers for Magic Knight Rayearth at a party a month ago =P

I told him I've been wanting to play the game for ages but have yet to get around to it,

but since I met him I'm shoving it high up the backlog list!!

so I'm in for the year of Saturn!!!

MKR and Dragon Force time has come!!

Teknoman

I'd so like to find a disc only of Shining Force 3 that's a little bit less than a complete one.

Keep watch on ebay. I got a shining force 3 (disc only) for 50 bucks.

I'm with you! I fear we'll only hear crickets though.

I can join you, I am not getting new systems for a while, and I decided to go back through my old Saturn library. So it will be the year of the Saturn for me anyway!

You have my sword.

March - SHMUPs!: Darius Gaiden, DoDonPachi, Galactic Attack, Cotton, The League of Prestigious Ballers: Hyper Duel club, etc
April - April showers bring Blue Shadows: X-Men COTA, vs Street Fighter, Marvel Superheros, Marvel vs SF
May - the joys of working with Yuji Naka: Burning Rangers & NiGHTS (maybe save this for dec so christmas NiGHTS can tie in?)
June - emulate-this-if-you-need-both-kidneys-JRPG-month: i guess we could figure out between Shining Ark, Wisdom, Albert Odyssey etc which one people have/would wanna play

etc, up till:

You are a GENIUS.

Also on an off note, if you guys could keep an eye out for a Dragon Force manual, that would be cool.

Hilbert

How's the love for Dark Savior around here? That one is one of my favorites.

I have a fairly complete Saturn collection from back in the day. I have most of the big name games. I would say the only one I am really missing is Shining Wisdom, which was the victim of a break in. How much does that go for these days?

cj_iwakura

I have a fairly complete Saturn collection from back in the day. I have most of the big name games. I would say the only one I am really missing is Shining Wisdom, which was the victim of a break in. How much does that go for these days?

Not much, I think $30-50ish. I got it with my system and still have it. It's a solid game. Not great like MKR, but solid.

And you know I'm down for the Saturn thing. Still sad we had so little participation before. Even the Resident Evil month was, well, dead.

I had the opportunity to speak with one of the localizers for Magic Knight Rayearth at a party a month ago =P

I told him I've been wanting to play the game for ages but have yet to get around to it,

but since I met him I'm shoving it high up the backlog list!!

That's awesome. Tell me more.

Also, MKR has HILARIOUS writing.

41-1.jpg

40.jpg

289.jpg

290.jpg

291.jpg

Wereroku

Surprisingly Saturn Bomberman has a lot of text in it but you should be good. I got lucky on it as a lady had priced and listed it under the jp version. The only way i could tell is because she listed broken hinges. So i checked her store and it had like ceramic cats so i hopped on it guessing she would not be selling imports. Only paid like 40 for it.

You really have to 100 percent MKR just for the blooper reel so freaking awesome.

Teknoman

I like it, now that I understand how the parallels work. The battle theme is great stuff.

The Battle

Fits perfectly with the fighting game esque vs fights. Thinking about it...I seem to be a fan of Climax game soundtracks.

IrishNinja

alright, we're lookin at double digit #'s here! nice!

what sucks is - and bishop just witnessed this with me - i watched a $15 (compete) copy of Die Hard Arcade jump up to like $30, and the same happened a minute later with Shinobi...shit's geting silly. starting to think im really only gonna find deals on forums at this point.

Also on an off note, if you guys could keep an eye out for a Dragon Force manual, that would be cool.

i will totally keep an eye out for you man!

i was just hearing that the 3D platforming is trickier than Burning Rangers, haven't heard much else though!

Surprisingly Saturn Bomberman has a lot of text in it but you should be good. I got lucky on it as a lady had priced and listed it under the jp version. The only way i could tell is because she listed broken hinges. So i checked her store and it had like ceramic cats so i hopped on it guessing she would not be selling imports. Only paid like 40 for it.

damn...you know, a 10 player bomberman game is going on my bucket list, so ill just have to get lucky on this as well then!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
FWIW, I think the US version of Saturn Bomberman has more multiplayer content, but only the JP version works on SSF. At least that was the case the last time I tried to emulate it. Supposedly the way they incorporated Netlink features into it doesn't jive with SSF.

I need to check the JP version sometime to see if there actually is a difference in content, though. Specifically, I've heard that the stage unlock code reveals more stages in the US version than in the JP one.

etc, up till:

OK, RPGs should be over the summer for sure as that is generally when the biggest drought is. And most of the Saturn ones aren't that long anyway. PDS is what like 20ish, I remmber blowing through it, and haven't replayed it since I first got it. Getting hyped.

Let's try to figure out the best of the best. PD and PDZ for sure in January though, those games are so iconic its the best way to ring the year in.

As for themes other than what Ninja posted, I'd say a month for glorious glorious spritework. Stuff like Astal and Guardian Heroes fit in perfectly here, Silhouette Mirage might too, even though it had a PS1 port. I hear Assault Suit Leynos 2 is amazing, and Princess Crown would be a cool one as a Vanillaware game before Vanillaware.

It would also be interesting to have a Best of the West month, we could have the few western games that didn't suck balls.

Teknoman

I cant believe I still dont have Panzer Dragoon 1. I guess its because I cant decide whether I want the NA release or the JP. I've got the JP release of Zwei, and i'd like to have a complete PD 1...but i'd take disc only if I could get that for a good price. Custom cases and all that.

i saw we should celebrate the unforgivingly hardcore little beast and make 2014 Year of the Saturn, who's with me!?

I might join if I have enough time.

FWIW, I think the US version of Saturn Bomberman has more multiplayer content, but only the JP version works on SSF. At least that was the case the last time I tried to emulate it. Supposedly the way they incorporated Netlink features into it doesn't jive with SSF.

The EU version also works with SSF.

IrishNinja

yeah i was thinking maybe Astal & Clockwork 1/2 for a platformer month, but if bish wants a CHUNKY PIXELS month that works too, haha.

i was trying to figure out when i'd track down certain saturn games next year when i came up with this idea, so it looks like that's gonna be what determines it for me! already looking around for PD & PDZ...

Mikhal

I need to check the JP version sometime to see if there actually is a difference in content, though. Specifically, I've heard that the stage unlock code reveals more stages in the US version than in the JP one.

If 'm not mistaken, there was a second release of JP Saturn Bomberman with the netplay I wonder if that includes the NA content as well.

What the hell? I never knew this! Can anyone confirm? I have the JP Saturn Bomberman for Seganet so I'll help out if I can. What's supposed to be missing?

Mitsurux

Count me in as well... (as time permits)

Strangly enough, i've had the Saturn Bug lately, and plan on using some of my Income tax money to beef up the collection.

Empty

a year of saturn celebration might be the kick up the backside i need to finally get a saturn and explore its library.

i want to as i love the idea of the system and how few of its games got ports, and i've been subscribed to this thread for ages as a reminder but never got round to doing it.

Does anyone know the name of this particular Sega Saturn game? It was first person with pre-rendered backgrounds, Myst style, and you would walk around this mansion and see floating ghost heads that would talk. It was kind of a puzzle game.

JEKKI

omg!!! so can we have an official hashtag?!?!?!

I love hashtags!! I wanna hashtag myself playing Dragon Force!!

That's awesome. Tell me more.

Also, MKR has HILARIOUS writing.
his name was Tim something.

he only told me about the scripts he worked to make the text fit, and some of the other games he worked on.

he has a DSIware game called Rhythm Core alpha II if u wanna support him!

http://www.rhythmcorealpha.com/

astonish

So in an attempt to do some 4-player bomberman during my work Christmas party I discovered one of my controllers is pretty dead (it works but you really have to jam on it). Should I just hunt down original controllers or are there decent new knock-offs? (My gamecube controller is a knock off, but other than the branding its as good as the real thing, only new and well priced).

Nope. That's a sequel, or new game and story at least, and not a port. Then the developer went on to make one final similar game on the Saturn, Lunacy. Lunacy's a bigger and more ambitious game than the previous two, but they're all worth a look.

Did not know that. Why in the name of god would you release a sequel with the exact same name? That's just asking for lesser sales. All these years I just thought it was a port with better FMV ala the 32x Digital Pictures stuff.

Wereroku

Did not know that. Why in the name of god would you release a sequel with the exact same name? That's just asking for lesser sales. All these years I just thought it was a port with better FMV ala the 32x Digital Pictures stuff.

Different name in japan but when they localized the new one i guess they figured the cd did so poorly it wouldn't really matter.

Khaz

So in an attempt to do some 4-player bomberman during my work Christmas party I discovered one of my controllers is pretty dead (it works but you really have to jam on it). Should I just hunt down original controllers or are there decent new knock-offs? (My gamecube controller is a knock off, but other than the branding its as good as the real thing, only new and well priced).

Knock off are crap.

My guess is that the rubber is dead, so you could just find a broken controller with good rubber and change it. That or the board itself is worn out. In any case I would suggest you to take it apart to try and locate the problem with a healthy controller. Saturn pads are simple to take to pieces.

Khaz

Different name in japan but when they localized the new one i guess they figured the cd did so poorly it wouldn't really matter.

Wikipedia got it all wrong too. Does anyone know if it's possible to flag an article, give it the correct info to let someone with writing skills make a correct article? A second article needs to be created and the titles need to reflect the two platforms.

Top Bottom