• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Vintage Col. 2012 |OT| Streets Of Rage! Golden Axe! Monster World! Alex Kidd!

Varshes

Dude... Please tell me where you got that controller! I hope it isn't an import... :( I would love to use that for Golden Axe and Streets of Rage next week!

What the next poster said, drumpad controller, got the whole thing on Amazon for 5 bucks at one point.

Eusis

I'm wondering whether he meant them individually on PSN or something. Actually, he could probably reasonably argue it for the VC releases, since $10 for all games > $5 for each > $9 for each (though I preferred consolidating the Wonder Boy games anyway), but if he means the Wonderboy collection at $10 then his sense of value is insanely skewed.

Though maybe he means Alex Kidd or whatever. Alex Kidd can probably seem overpriced even at $5.

goldenpp72

I think 10 bucks is a decent price even though the ultimate genesis collection is dirt cheap these days, but I already own GA and SOR2 on xbla, which is kind of a bummer.

ksdixon

resisting the urge to buy after i bouvht that sknics ultimte genisis collection a few years ago. do the games show up individually in your games collection on the dashboard?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I asked this is the other thread:

Any idea where I can find the spring where I can wash my face and the Welcome to Monster World sign in Monster World IV?

ksdixon

Someone please tell me if my memory is completely incorrect. I remember being able to switch characters in Golden Axe 3 after losing a continue. Is that corect? Because in the 'Sonic's Ultimate MegaDrive Collection' which came out a few years ago I couldn't do it.

EDIT:
'Sonic's Ultimate MegaDrive Collection' remains the only way to play the arcade version of Altered Beast and the MegaDrive version of Golden Axe 1, correct?

@MUWANdo

Banned
EDIT:
'Sonic's Ultimate MegaDrive Collection' remains the only way to play the arcade version of Altered Beast and the MegaDrive version of Golden Axe 1, correct?

You can get both of 'em on the Wii VC; Altered Beast is 900 Points, Golden Axe is 800 Points.

ksdixon

You can get both of 'em on the Wii VC; Altered Beast is 900 Points, Golden Axe is 800 Points.

Sorry, I meant to say on 360, but it's good to hear from the next poster that Altered Beast on XBLA is the arcade version. For some reason it seemed a lot harder than the MegaDrive version.

Sorry, I meant to say on 360, but it's good to hear from the next poster that Altered Beast on XBLA is the arcade version. For some reason it seemed a lot harder than the MegaDrive version.

Yes! You really had to memorize when and where the power up wolves would appear.

Neo Samus

Bought Monster World IV and Super Hang-On. Some of the best $10 I've ever spent. MW IV is awesome. I must have put in like 5 hours into it so far, freaking Sun Pyramid area is a bitch!

Super Hang-On is classic arcade fun. Gotta love that music!

Too bad we won't see a perfect emu of Outrun anytiime soon....I so wish I had my PS3 when Coast to Coast was still available. :(

Edit: Sorry, I meant Out Run Online Arcade.

ksdixon

Why is The Revenge Of Shinobi bundled with Alex Kidd and soething else on XBLA?

I thought the pack was The Revenge Of Shinobi, Shinobi 3: Return Of The Ninja Master, and the Arcade/Master System original Shinobi?

ksdixon

resisting the urge to buy after i bouvht that sknics ultimte genisis collection a few years ago. do the games show up individually in your games collection on the dashboard?

I really do hate typing on my fiance's android when she has the laptop. I must have fat fingers or something, because I can never get a full post off without it being unreadable.

Currently resisting the urge to buy after I bought that 'Sonic's Ultimate MegaDrive Collection' a few years ago....

Do the games show up individually in your games collection/dashboard? I am hoping I can buy the Shinobi/Alex Kidd pack so that The Revenge Of Shinobi shows up in my game library, and I can delete Alex Kidd if I wanted to.

How do you start a game of Shinobi (trial version)? Every button I push brings me to the buy nag screen.

Only Alex Kidd can be played in trial mode, just as the first game of the Monster World collection is the only one playable. Yeah, it's pretty stupid the way they're forcing the most popular games in the pack to be playable only once bought. Sega, man.

Why is The Revenge Of Shinobi bundled with Alex Kidd and soething else on XBLA?

I thought the pack was The Revenge Of Shinobi, Shinobi 3: Return Of The Ninja Master, and the Arcade/Master System original Shinobi?
Nope. There is no Shinobi three-pack, and I doubt they'll do one now that Revenge is on this pack and the original is already on XBLA. The three you suggested would make a lot more sense though. Love Shinobi 3.

Vercimber

Why can't we have the Revenge of Death Adder, Sega? WHY?!

gfs_110372_2_5_mid.jpg

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Snagged the Wonder Boy collection last night, as I never really played the series outside of Monster World included on the Sega Genesis collection.

Monster Land I am not enjoying. I made it up to World 9 and felt like I needed to start over. I realized I had missed killing Kong to get a sword upgrade back in a previous world(I tried, but he kept slaughtering me) and the sword upgrade is pretty damn necessary in the later stages as my broad sword just makes many of the later bosses irritating given how weak it is. I never bought a shield as one achievement guide mentioned to avoid purchasing until you get a power-up drop from an enemy which can be missed. Arrgh.

I'll check out a guide online and see how I can maximize my play through when I restart. I'm looking forward to trying out the other two games.

Tain

Starting over in Monster Land doesn't seem like a big deal. It's a little long for arcade standards, but it's still probably under an hour.

i am going to be restarting that game a lot when I get around to playing through it

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I've only got Monster World IV and Wonderboy in Monster World. Should I get Revenge of Shinobi, Wonderboy in Monsterland or Alex Kidd in Miracle World?

I've only got Monster World IV and Wonderboy in Monster World. Should I get Revenge of Shinobi, Wonderboy in Monsterland or Alex Kidd in Miracle World?

Seeing as you've already got 2 Monster World games, and Alex Kidd is kinda basic for the cost, I guess Shinobi? That game seems great. (I was gonna get it but went for Pixeljunk Eden instead)

Tomasooie

Currently resisting the urge to buy after I bought that 'Sonic's Ultimate MegaDrive Collection' a few years ago....

Do the games show up individually in your games collection/dashboard? I am hoping I can buy the Shinobi/Alex Kidd pack so that The Revenge Of Shinobi shows up in my game library, and I can delete Alex Kidd if I wanted to.

No, it shows up as SVC: Alex Kidd & Co. You launch it and then select the game. Download the trial and you can see.

Also, nothing on these two collections is on Sonic's Ultimate Mega Drive Collection.
So don't let that put you off; it's not a factor at all!

Tain

I think that all of the games in these packs are at least pretty good, and I guess it depends on what you're looking for, but Revenge of Shinobi is one of the very best Genesis games and one of the best 2D action games ever. If you haven't played it, you absolutely need to get it. All three of those games are on the harder side of the releases so far.

ksdixon

No, it shows up as SVC: Alex Kidd & Co. You launch it and then select the game. Download the trial and you can see.

Also, nothing on these two collections is on Sonic's Ultimate Mega Drive Collection.
So don't let that put you off; it's not a factor at all!

Drat, Drat and Double Drat!

Saw this image earlier and didn't read the post properly:
shinobicollection.png

And that's a shame about having to launch a hybrid menu item. I really wanted to see Golden Axe 1-3, Streets Of Rage 1-3 and Shinobi 1-3 all lined up next to each other as individual choices. I could have dealt with it if we also got a 'Shinobi 1-3' collection, then everything would match. I hate having this need for everything to match-up, I'm sure I have mild OCD or something.

Drat, Drat and Double Drat!

Saw this image earlier and didn't read the post properly:
shinobicollection.png

And that's a shame about having to launch a hybrid menu item. I really wanted to see Golden Axe 1-3, Streets Of Rage 1-3 and Shinobi 1-3 all lined up next to each other as individual choices. I could have dealt with it if we also got a 'Shinobi 1-3' collection, then everything would match. I hate having this need for everything to match-up, I'm sure I have mild OCD or something.
Yeeeah, Rlan made those mocked-up covers. REALLY cool work but I'm sure a more than a few people were confused thinking they are real.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Monster Land I am not enjoying. I made it up to World 9 and felt like I needed to start over.

This isn't really an issue. The only really "HOW DO I DO THIS!?!" style moment that holds someone back in this game, is wondering how in the world you get enough money to afford to power up. It's as if Megaman made it so you had to BUY the robot masters abilities! (The secret is in the "Waggle", which is mentioned in the games digital manual). Once you figure that out, the other things (such as secret doors) are hinted to you the first few times. And then even for the final stage, the items you get by completing the sidequest the game throws at you both make the stage easier, in one way or another.

I'll check out a guide online and see how I can maximize my play through when I restart. I'm looking forward to trying out the other two games.

Jumping in with a guide would have sucked a lot of the game's fun out for me. Since you can play 2 player alternating on the same console, my brother and I attacked the game in our own ways, and figured things out like that. I had already gone into a "failing" playthough before then. It was really nice to learn how things worked, and what items did what, and the games secrets, this way.

----

The best thing to me, about Monsterland, is that it's long enough to make a playthrough satisfying, but short enough to wear starting over isn't a HUGE chore. And when things start to CLICK, and you start to learn how the game works, it seems nice and well-designed. It's like the secrets of Tower of Druaga, but no where near as convoluted and ridiculous. Wish I had a chance to have tried it our back in the day, might have run me nuts, in the best way possible, lol.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
A Shinobi compilation needs to exist solely so we can get the arcade version of Shadow Dancer on a console.

This is what I'd want it most for too... Revenge looks more similiar to Shinobi III than I expected (I've heard of it over the years, but most have only played 1 on arcade and Master system, Shinobi 3, and Shadow Dancer, which I loved in arcades).

The first time I saw the guy in Dead to Rights have a dog, I instantly said it was a Shadow Dancer homage...

Revenge of Shinobi was an incredible title for the Genesis / MegaDrive.

I had a lot of fun with it in the good old bad old days.

I'm not sure my reflexes would be up to the task these days though.

Starting over in Monster Land doesn't seem like a big deal. It's a little long for arcade standards, but it's still probably under an hour.

i am going to be restarting that game a lot when I get around to playing through it
1CCs are what I do with arcade games myself. Best way to play.

Shinobi is fantastic. The others are not.
Explain. Alex Kidd is a platforming classic (though the level progression is definitely more ad-hoc than normal), and Monster Land's great overall.

I'm under the impression that these collections aren't the last we see of M2's template they just set.

I hardly see speculation of a Space Harrier Collection.
Space Harrier (arcade ver.) + Space Harrier II (MD/Genesis ver.) + Planet Harriers (arcade ver.)
Possibly even throw the PS2 SEGA AGES S.H. 3D remake in there.

Like Afterburner Climax, Planet Harriers would be the first time playable on home consoles (and outside of Japan). Although with the work it'd take for PH to be ported they might make it standalone.

There's always one.

PS+ has trained a large portion of the more "dedicated" PS3 demographic to expect digital games for free, new ones at that. Especially some "old shit" like this, right?

Anyway, just saying I don't agree with Sony's (I believe it was SCEA's idea to begin with) tactics with PS+. Good (or is it?) for the 1 in 100 developer who cuts a deal so Sony gives for free...Bad for the rest of PSN developers, the sales were bad enough before, now paid content will be bought even less.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
PS+ has trained a large portion of the more "dedicated" PS3 demographic to expect digital games for free, new ones at that. Especially some "old shit" like this, right?

Anyway, just saying I don't agree with Sony's (I believe it was SCEA's idea to begin with) tactics with PS+. Good (or is it?) for the 1 in 100 developer who cuts a deal so Sony gives for free...Bad for the rest of PSN developers, the sales were bad enough before, now paid content will be bought even less.
Are you anti-Sony or something? I mean you're on the right track, but it's PSN, iOS, WiiWare, everything like them, and the general thought that *any* game that's retro or otherwise 2D should be downloadable for $3 or less.

Are you anti-Sony or something? I mean you're on the right track, but it's PSN, iOS, WiiWare, everything like them, and the general thought that *any* game that's retro or otherwise 2D should be downloadable for $3 or less.

I know, I was just insinuating the person in question was coming from the PSN side of things.

Tomasooie

Like Afterburner Climax, Planet Harriers would be the first time playable on home consoles (and outside of Japan). Although with the work it'd take for PH to be ported they might make it standalone.

Nah, it'd be so much more enticing as a full collection. Plus, the name Planet Harriers has no recognition -- it's gotta be SPACE HARRIER COLLECTION.

And surely the first two wouldn't be hard to emulate; it's been done a billion times. So throw them in, and the bulk of the work would go into porting Planet Harriers.

Sega, fucking do it.

daevv

Is there be any type of "red tape" issues with the Phantasy Star games that would cause them not to be released in a collection like these awesome ones?

Top Bottom