• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate healthcare repeal bill fails - Collins, Murkowski, and McCain voted no

Kenai

WHUvhiH.gif

There really is a Simpsons gif for everything.

I still don't like McCain but he did good tonight. Thanks to the Dems too, a lot of people I know would have been a lot of trouble if they hadn't voted it down.

The GOP are crazy writing this skinny repeal bill over lunch like a high school essay and shoving it down moderates/dem throats.

Feels like amateur hour over there.

Zolo

OléGunner;244731519 said:
The GOP are crazy writing this skinny repeal bill over lunch like a high school essay and shoving it down moderates/dem throats.

The crazy thing is that what would have failed a classroom would have passed congress if it wasn't for a single vote.

Can someone explain to this Brit what the fuck happened?

America still has trash healthcare but three GOP candidates prevented the melting turtle man and the obese cheeto from killing off the half assed ACA (the best we currently have for a litany of reasons) by removing the individual mandate.

Basically they prevented our healthcare system from going from an F- to an F------

Not

Banned
Reconciliation can only be done once a year. So any Healthcare bill this year would be an automatic 60 votes required. So its effectively dead

How long until reconciliation rules are altered? A week?

I'm used to GAF being wrong about this.

greepoman

So unless you're attaching an unusual amount of weight to protecting the narrative around Obamacare's passage, I don't see where the "straight garbage" description of the second paragraph of McCain's statement comes from. Obviously there's no equivalence between the process of how it was passed and the past ~6 months, but the narrative McCain expressed has existed for as long as Obamacare itself, and it isn't baseless.

While what you're saying is true...I think what he's getting at is before all that Obama actually tried to work with Republicans. Sat down with them. Discussed and tried to incorporate ideas. They made a conscious decision to not work with Obama on purpose. Thus necessitating all that you describe to get anything passed.

theWB27

America still has trash healthcare but three GOP candidates prevented the melting turtle man and the obese cheeto from killing off the half assed ACA (the best we currently have for a litany of reasons) by removing the individual mandate.

Basically they prevented our healthcare system from going from an F- to an F------

This is good.

faisal233

I am fairly certain if McCain has voted no the first time around it would have blocked the reconciliation process from beginning which means the Republicans could have tried again at anytime. The Bill advancing to Reconciliation and being voted down effectively killed any chance for the bill as reconciliation can only be done once a year.

Exactly. What if McCain blocked the bill and died / because incapacitated next month? AZ gov would have appointed replacement who would likely have voted yes.

UberTag

It's even more amateur hour that they waited to the absolute last second to draw something up for a reconciliation voting measure that can only be exercised once a year.
McConnell and Price should both lose their heads for this failure.

Better to actually defeat the "bill" and put the nail in the coffin. That's my understanding of it as a Canadian.
Not really, that could easily have been done with a first 'No'. Would have stopped Republicans in the first place, full stop.

Oh my bad, I was corrected before. Didn't realize you could only open it up once a year if you did it this way.

Xe4

Banned

I said it in another thread, it's embarrassing so many Republicans voted for it. It was 8 fucking pages (I read the whole thing, in I shit you not 5 minutes), not even good enough for a high school youth in gov meet or a college poli-sci class. Fucking embarrassing, and totally unacceptable for the the highest senate in the land.

Reconciliation can only be done once a year. So any Healthcare bill this year would be an automatic 60 votes required. So its effectively dead

Source? I know reconciliation can only be done once a year, but where's the restriction they can only vote on it once a year? I remember being told reconciliation wouldn't work after April and here we are. Shit's complicated yo.

antonz

Not really, that could easily have been done with a first 'No'. Would have stopped Republicans in the first place, full stop.

It would have stopped them as long as it took to convince a vote to switch. Killing the bill during reconciliation is more or less a permanent kill

McCain is a mixed bag, but he did a good thing today.

While what you're saying is true...I think what he's getting at is before all that Obama actually tried to work with Republicans. Sat down with them. Discussed and tried to incorporate ideas. They made a conscious decision to not work with Obama on purpose. Thus necessitating all that you describe to get anything passed.

Yeah, let's not forget that the GOP were openly hostile towards Obama, who was trying to be bipartisan until it was obvious that the GOP were being obstructive for political purposes. Obamacare was rammed through because the GOP provided no other alternative.

numble

It would have stopped them as long as it took to convince a vote to switch. Killing the bill during reconciliation is more or less a permanent kill

They can still do reconciliation. They still were planning to do tax cuts with another reconciliation bill this Fall. They are able to do two reconciliation bills this year because they did not do one last year.

I still think they have 2 reconciliation bills available this year. It does not end on a no vote.

If they passed this with 50 votes, and the House amended it, they would still need to pass a new bill with 50 votes.

TTG

Trump's "let Obamacare die" comment is despicable and should be pointed out as such. Considering how outraged everyone is at the Mooch and the daily crass things Trump says, here's something much more deserving of coverage. If he said "let someone bomb us so I can get my ban through" would that be enough? Because the difference is not so much.

Number_6

Phew.

Get fucked, Donny.
Get fucked, Mitch.

I emailed thanks to my (D) senator. The (R) one can also get fucked.

Give out that postive reinforcement, if you can.

Not

Banned
Well then I do eat my words. Fully eat my crow. With BBQ Sauce.

But what the fuck at saying yes to opening the bill up for debate. I don't fucking get you McCain. You wasted valuable hours for what? To troll Trump? It can't be that petty...

Right?

Remember Trump telling him he liked the soldiers that didn't get captured?

Dat long game.

I was thinking we have up until 2018 though, route A: Vote 'No' and 'Hold the Fort' and route B: Vote 'Yes' and kill reconciloation would have about the same effect. Route B would be more secure though.

I mean until Dems lose the Midterm. Again.

Xe4

Banned
They can still do reconciliation. They still were planning to do tax cuts with another reconciliation bill this Fall. They are able to do two reconciliation bills this year because they did not do one last year.

I still think they have 2 reconciliation bills available this year. It does not end on a no vote.

If they passed this with 50 votes, and the House amended it, they would still need to pass a new bill with 50 votes.

I thought they were going to pass tax reform with reconciliation next year. Every source I've read doesn't talk about only being able to vote on reconciliation once, or that you can save them up. Do you have a source? If democrats were in control last year, why not just use it up so republicans couldn't? Duh idiot, dems didn't have control last year. It's late, lol
Still, a source would be nice.

Did pence had the power to cast a tiebreak in case of a 50-50 vote again?

Nekofrog

Banned
To be honest I think it probably upset McCain that they even asked him to come vote while he was that ill, that he smiled and said "Sure (youstupidmotherfuckers)". All for a chance to do this to mitch

Finger.gif

I am fairly certain if McCain has voted no the first time around it would have blocked the reconciliation process from beginning which means the Republicans could have tried again at anytime. The Bill advancing to Reconciliation and being voted down effectively killed any chance for the bill as reconciliation can only be done once a year.

If he was playing 5D chess and saw that he would be the most important vote, I can see that too.

zulux21

so just to make sure I am following things correctly.

the skinny repeal is dead.
the house won't be able to vote on it and just push it through like an earlier thread was talking about
and I can likely stop worrying about the republicans killing one of my friends by screwing over healthcare until at least next week?

UberTag

Trump's "let Obamacare die" comment is despicable and should be pointed out as such. Considering how outraged everyone is at the Mooch and the daily crass things Trump says, here's something much more deserving of coverage. If he said "let someone bomb us so I can get my ban through" would that be enough? Because the difference is not so much.
Apparently we're supposed to applaud Trump because he hasn't regressed to the point where he is actively planning on bombing the US himself.

See... that would be worse than asking someone else to bomb you.

numble

I thought they were going to pass tax reform with reconciliation next year. Every source I've read doesn't talk about only being able to vote on reconciliation once, or that you can save them up. Do you have a source? If democrats were in control last year, why not just use it up so republicans couldn't?

How were the Democrats in control last year? If the Democrats were in control, why did they refuse to seat Obama's Supreme Court nominee?!

They need to pass tax cuts this year so that voters get refunds in April and then they will vote for the GOP 6 months later (that is their theory).

Here is the plan they have had since November 2016:
http://www.politico.com/tipsheets/p...airman-back-double-reconciliation-plan-217444
Senate, House Budget chairs back double reconciliation plan. Senate Budget Chairman Mike Enzi endorsed a novel plan being contemplated by Republicans to pass two reconciliation bills next year, Pro's Ben Weyl reports. Enzi said the strategy would allow the GOP to repeal the Affordable Care Act and pass tax reform without fear of filibusters from Senate Democrats.

Enzi said the first reconciliation bill would be used to repeal Obamacare and could be sent to President-elect Donald Trump's desk soon after he takes office. The bill would be tied to a budget resolution for fiscal 2017, which Congress never passed this year, and then they would deal with tax reform in a second bill.

Fuck, does this mean they can open it up again? If McCain dies? Or if one of the '''Moderates''' switch over lines? I thought they could only do it once a year or so?

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
I've somewhat liked McCain all year. For his jabs at the Trump-Putin connection. Always thought he would come through in a big way and here it is.

Also, Comey has ALWAYS been a good guy. He's a patriot.

... GAF is wrong... ALOT.

Small business could mean that or it could mean less. Anecdotal example: IT tech support single self employed person. They might make 40-80k a year who knows... that is not 250k.

Yup me and my wife's business is growing but we are not nearly making (edit: We are on track to be bringing in more than 6 figures but also paying employees 6 figures this year so I'm talking profit here) on it annually (however I expect to in 2018 if things keep going the right away).

The only reason we have insurance is that her father's company kept us on their insurance even after she stopped working for them outside of website updates that take less than an hour a week most of the year.

If it wasn't for that we would 100% not have insurance. We aren't broke enough to qualify for anything, and paying the penalties would be preferable to paying much more for the garbage tier plans that are close to essentially useless.

Xe4

Banned
How were the Democrats in control last year? If the Democrats were in control, why did they refuse to seat Obama's Supreme Court nominee?!

They need to pass tax cuts this year so that voters get refunds in April and then they will vote for the GOP 6 months later (that is their theory).

Here is the plan they have had since November 2016:
http://www.politico.com/tipsheets/p...airman-back-double-reconciliation-plan-217444
Yeah, I fucked that up and fixed it pretty immediately. Sorry about that, it's late!

I don't think they saved them, budget reconciliation can be used for three bills, but they each serve a different purpose. One is for spending, another revenue, the third the debt limit. That said, I still don't see where you can only vote on a reconciliation bill once, only pass one once (maybe it lies in the word consider?):
Under Senate interpretations of the Congressional Budget Act, the Senate can consider the three basic subjects of reconciliation — spending, revenues, and debt limit — in a single bill or multiple bills, but it can consider each of these three in only one bill per year (unless Congress passes a second budget resolution). Consequently, in the Senate there can be a maximum of three reconciliation bills in a year, one for each of the basic subjects of reconciliation.
https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-budget/introduction-to-budget-reconciliation

so just to make sure I am following things correctly.

the skinny repeal is dead.
the house won't be able to vote on it and just push it through like an earlier thread was talking about
and I can likely stop worrying about the republicans killing one of my friends by screwing over healthcare until at least next week?

Yup. Its dead until next year, which wiol be the year where midterms happen and hopefully dems can flip the house.

Not

Banned

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit

Yup. Its dead until next year, which wiol be the year where midterms happen and hopefully dems can flip the house.
Wait so there's nothing the GOP can do to repeal obamacare until 2018? How come? What stops them from keep trying every week or month until it passes? This is all so complicated.

yamarei

Neo Member
There's very little I imagine I would agree with John McCain on politically, but he (and Murkowski, Collins, and the entire Democratic caucus) did good here. Extremely grateful for the vote they took tonight.

numble

Yeah, I fucked that up and fixed it pretty immediately. Sorry about that, it's late!

I don't think they saved them, budget reconciliation can be used for three bills, but they each serve a different purpose. One is for spending, another revenue, the third the debt limit. That said, I still don't see where you can only vote on a reconciliation bill once, only pass one once (maybe it lies in the word consider?):

https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-budget/introduction-to-budget-reconciliation

They saved it. It has been reported multiple times. Even look at your article:
Under Senate interpretations of the Congressional Budget Act, the Senate can consider the three basic subjects of reconciliation — spending, revenues, and debt limit — in a single bill or multiple bills, but it can consider each of these three in only one bill per year (unless Congress passes a second budget resolution). Consequently, in the Senate there can be a maximum of three reconciliation bills in a year, one for each of the basic subjects of reconciliation.
They can pass 2 budget resolutions because there was no budget resolution last year.

https://www.taxreformandtransition.com/2017/03/fast-facts-on-the-budget-reconciliation-process/

Because the 114th Congress never took up action on a FY 2017 budget, the current Congress has the opportunity to pursue two separate budget resolutions with reconciliation instructions (one for FY 2017 and one for FY 2018).

Top Bottom