• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes |OT| of team Ieyasu vs. team Mitsunari

Tailzo

psy18 said:
Dammit! Didn't know this game requires 3.42 update.
Haven't got the chance to mess around with psfreedom since my galaxy s isn't supported yet.
Should I go for 3.42? Does this game worth losing homebrews? @_@
Does ps3 homebrew help in any way? If it just open ups the possibillity for some cool apps sometime in the future, I'd say you should go for playing the game. I'd rather have funn now than later.

That being said, I'm still waiting for my copy of basara.

psy18 said:
Dammit! Didn't know this game requires 3.42 update.
Haven't got the chance to mess around with psfreedom since my galaxy s isn't supported yet.
Should I go for 3.42? Does this game worth losing homebrews? @_@

Ummm it has the 3.30 update on the disc, not 3.42. I previously had 3.15 and had to update to 3.30 when I got the game, but didn't mind since I can still do the homebrew stuff down the line if I want to.

Xater

About these fugitive, I nver seems to get them. I saw the message popping up but I never find these guys. Any tips?

psy18

Yeah... Unfortunately my version of the game (region 3) requires 3.42 update... When I start the game it wants to install the update. When I said no it just gets back to xmb.

Now the game just sits there staring at me... better get myself doing something else before the irreversible happens...

Xater said:
About these fugitive, I nver seems to get them. I saw the message popping up but I never find these guys. Any tips?
Get Hattori Hanzo as an ally (from Kotaro's blue route, Ieyasu stage). His ability increases the chance of a fugitive showing up, and at max confidence he'll show you where it is on the map.

psy18 said:
Yeah... Unfortunately my version of the game (region 3) requires 3.42 update... When I start the game it wants to install the update. When I said no it just gets back to xmb.

Now the game just sits there staring at me... better get myself doing something else before the irreversible happens...

You sure it's region 3? Isn't that Taiwan, Korea, the Philippines, Indonesia, and Hong Kong? My copy of BASARA 3 is the Hong Kong version I got back in August and that says region 3, I had been using that on my 3.15 system with no problem. Unless of course they also released a version of SB:SH there too, then sorry for the misunderstanding.

Anyways, if you are debating SB3 vs Homebrew, I am pretty sure there are already ways to boot 3.42 games using homebrew on 3.41. I recommend looking that up.

Xater

So I just started out playing with Kotaru Fuma but I don't enjoy him at all. I absolutely don#t like how much his normal moves make him move forward. I have real trouble with him in the boss fights and getting high combos.

Fuma Kotaro is more of an aerial fighter and can be really good if you know how to use him. the problem with him is that he is a very finese type of character who has low health / defense and thus you have to play him extra safe. Honestly, I kinda liked him (and Keiji) more in SB2H, but he is good in this still if you know how to use him right. You can dash cancel his moves to eliminate the recovery lag on things like his forward dashing skill, and once you get used to comboing enemies in the air he becomes fun (especially when you get the giant shuriken R2 move). I don't recall the translated names, but his upward kick skill is good to get enemies into the air and then toss a shuriken / use his blade scatter skill to rack up hits and do normal air combos from that if you can (along with utilizing his air dash).

I think Fuma got some good buffs overall from SB2H to here in the skills department. However, the biggest thing for me is that they nerfed his air dash by adding a floating pause afterwards, making it less effective as a way of quickly moving through stages and / or as a way to lock down people like Tadakatsu in corners (constant air dashes of doom -> air combo -> air dash, etc...).

Yeah, thats more of a personal thing. I like all 16 characters in this game, but out of them all either Fuma or Keiji are my least favorite to play. I was just trying to give some tips since you mentioned having trouble getting good combos with him, which is pretty easy after you get used to his playstyle.

I am really enjoying the game, but are there any guides for it online? I'm really struggling to understand the A/B weapon thing - is it upgrading as I get new ones? I'm a veteran of the entire DW/SW line and I hate that I don't know everything automatically.

Wolves Evolve said:
I am really enjoying the game, but are there any guides for it online? I'm really struggling to understand the A/B weapon thing - is it upgrading as I get new ones? I'm a veteran of the entire DW/SW line and I hate that I don't know everything automatically.

There are a ton of guides / topics on KoeiWarriors made over the past few months since the game's japanese release. Here are some useful links:

My Items / Materials and Story Path's Spreadsheets
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoKruCqo-JXNdHVYQzZUcXc0blJRSzM2WlMybHFweEE

My Translation Guide ( + Useful Tips)
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6719936/1/

Weapons Guide
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6727025/

Bodyguard / Allies Unlocking & Abilities Guide
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6725521/

Skill / Special Arts Guide (+ Character specific strategies)
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6730088/

Listing of the Special Conditions for Bonus EXP on each Stage:
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6719581/findpost/8685456/

Unlocking Guide:
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6718756/

Trophy / Titles Guide (Has lots of really useful general / gameplay info as well):
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6718839/

Almost all the above are based on SB3, and thus might have terms translated differently than SB:SH.

As far as the weapons I recommend checking out that link, but a basic synopsis is that there are 5 different actual weapons models, each with an A and B version for 10 total normal weapons and then 2 "special" weapons (which are typically recolors of the Weapon 1) . 1A - 5B are all earned randomly after battles, while 6A is earned the second time you beat a path for that character in Heroes' Story mode and 6B is earned the third time you do so.

The A and B stuff is just for different "built-in" items for the weapons, while they both have the same max power. Ex: Weapon 2 has a max power of 350. 2A has an item on it for that makes it easier to break enemies' guard while 2B has an item that increases defense by 150. Weapons can all have 6 slots, but typically start out with less. The PC/NPC bosses in stages drop armor pieces you pick up. You can get a brand new weapon, level up one of your current weapons (adding more item slots and increasing it's power), or get money from those armor pieces at the end of a stage. What you get is random, but based on your character's luck (invisible stat) and the difficulty you played at (harder = better weapons). I rushed a little in typing this out, but I hope it all make sense.

Wow, I don't know what to say, thank you. Putting some time aside to check out all the links and yes, that explanation made a lot of sense. Thanks again. Fukken five star post.

AdawgDaFAB thanks again for the informative post. Once again I see myself pouring another few weeks with this but I'm happy. Going to update the OP with the links.

AdawgDaFAB said:
Yeah, thats more of a personal thing. I like all 16 characters in this game, but out of them all either Fuma or Keiji are my least favorite to play. I was just trying to give some tips since you mentioned having trouble getting good combos with him, which is pretty easy after you get used to his playstyle.

I haven't unlocked Keiji yet, but I quite liked Fuma. Tsuruhime on the other hand, not a huge fan. I have to hand it to Dynasty Warriors 6, I think they came up with a more fun bow user (it's pretty much the only thing that they have over SB3 though).

Die Squirrel Die said:
I haven't unlocked Keiji yet, but I quite liked Fuma. Tsuruhime on the other hand, not a huge fan. I have to hand it to Dynasty Warriors 6, I think they came up with a more fun bow user (it's pretty much the only thing that they have over SB3 though).

Again, I believe it is all about personal playstyles for likes / dislikes so I don't begrudge you for disliking Tsuruhime. However, have you tried timing her attacks? It can take a while to figure it out but there is a rhythm for her attacks where if you time the square button presses instead of just mashing square she can unleash a flurry of shots when she jumps back in her combo string. That + her super skill that summons the ring of arrows = massive damage. Another tip: When using that super, if you time her skill attacks for when they flash she will do really beef up attacks without losing the arrow ring.

You may know this already and just plain not like her, but if you didn't know about it then I recommend giving them a try. Makes playing her way more fun :D . I hated her at first too until I learned how to use her right and then she just became a monster :lol .

She becomes more tolerable with the arrow ring, this is true, but to be honest I just find it tedious having to constantly reapply it. Sure if I get hit, then it's my fault and that's fine, but having it timeout just feels cheap.

Urban Scholar said:
.......I see

Edit: Ok I think I see myself reaching that one, I'm at 48 hours on my game clock. You can see this via your save file. I've barely played all of the starting fours campaigns.

What is your completion % and trophy %? Right now I am at 62 hours, 25% complete, 40% trophies.

I finally beat Nobunaga again with Oichi, so now I'm just focusing on acutally unlocking him and then getting the last 5 stages / 6 materials I need (to have at least one of each of them). Once I finish those I will go through and fix all the names in the item spreadsheet to the SB:SH names :lol . Busy BASARA filled weekend is busy! :D

Finished my 1st playthrough with the Demon Queen. I really enjoy using her, but she seems absurdly overpowered. Lifeless Song super + Painful Dream + Deep Scars + regular combo string = HOLY SHIT HANDS EVERYWHERE .

Die Squirrel Die said:
She becomes more tolerable with the arrow ring, this is true, but to be honest I just find it tedious having to constantly reapply it. Sure if I get hit, then it's my fault and that's fine, but having it timeout just feels cheap.
If you have the ring up and release one of her skills during the flash, it reapplies the ring and resets the timer. Her Pinpoint Shot is actually fast enough to do this without losing your combo (release during 1st flash). So if your timing's good and you don't get hit, you can keep a single ring going throughout the entire stage.

A Huge Battleship said:
Finished my 1st playthrough with the Demon Queen. I really enjoy using her, but she seems absurdly overpowered.
I wouldn't say that she is more OP than any other character in the game.

Just read this and it sounds like the perfect way to get the < 100 Kills in a Story playthrough trophy / title:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/961301-sengoku-basara-samurai-heroes/56872996

Aceviper on GameFAQs said:
Play Otani Yoshitsugu's Red path
Use Shimazu Yoshihiro for 2p to control

Go
Battle of Itsukushima (vs Mori) -> Siege of Karasu Castle (vs Hideaki/Tenkai) -> Gassantoda Castle (vs Amago) -> Battle at Noshima (vs Tsuruhime) -> Sekigahara - Assembly (vs Tokugawa)

This route only has 5 battles

For Itsukushima: Run towards the gate keeper, push him to a corner and isolate him, use Yoshihiro's third special to 1 shot him, run straight to Mori, one shot him. (Minimum kills: 2)

For Siege of Karasu Castle: I went with Hideaki, again, isolate the gate guard and one shot him, one shot Hideaki to get him to run (doesn't count as a kill), One shot the 3 gate guards with the order from bottom, right, top. One shot Hideaki. (Minimum kills: 5)

For Gassantoda Castle: Run forward, one shot him (He won't die until he hides once) (Minimum kills: 1)

For Battle at Noshima: Wait for the enemy reinforcements ship. One shot the bridge guard, Defeat Tsuruhime so that your ally ships come for the second reinforcements, One shot the bridge guard to the shrine ship, One shot Tsuruhime (Minimum kills: 3)

For Sekigahara - Assembly: Run straight for Tsuruhime and Magoichi and one shot them both, Run straight for Ieyasu and one shot him. First player if left in beginning will also help by keeping tadakatsu away. (Minimum kills: 3)

Minimum required kills: 14
Leeway of 86 kills

Recommended to equip the accessory to start with max Hero gauge for easier aiming for the one shot kills.

Another thing you can do is also use the hot spring accessory on 1p so that you have 2 separate uses of slow mo (useful for stages like Sekigahara - Assembly where you could use one against the 2 girls and the other against Tokugawa).

I was always planning on using Oni Shimazu for this trophy/title, but I never even thought about doing it co-op on someone else's story. I also failed to realize how short Otani's red path can be (despite making that damn spreadsheet myself >_< lol). Thus, stumbling upon that a few minutes ago I felt I should post this here since he did a good job on doing both of the above ^__^.

Just a note...if you want this game (PS3), I'd get it now if I were you.

Gamestop's site is out of copies, and not "backordered" (signifying more are shipping sometime), but just flat out not available with no shipments coming.
I am pretty sure each Gamestop store only got 1 copy, and there are no other shipments. Also pretty sure they are the only US retailer selling it, since it's more niche.

This is the niche where there may only be one initial shipment and then no more...ever. It's happened a lot last generation at least.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Musou type games have never been my thing (although everyone around me loves them) but I'm really enjoying this one. I decided to give this a try because the hot rendition of Ieyasu caught my attention (don't judge) and I'm finally understanding why people like these games, it's cathartic to endlessly smash down the hordes even if they barely react. I'm not far yet but I'm liking the systems with all the leveling up, materials, etc.

Lyonaz

Bought the game today and HOTDAMN is the game Awesome! :D

Magoichi Saica's Machinegun Art is like the sexiest thing ever.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Done with my first Ieyasu playthrough, I should take this opportunity to go do other things but it's incredibly hard to stop playing this.

Fuu said:
Done with my first Ieyasu playthrough, I should take this opportunity to go do other things but it's incredibly hard to stop playing this.

Oh yeah, I put in 50 hours of game time easy. Mind you, I've barely played outside of the campaigns of the poster boys. Glad you're enjoying it friend.

I'm over 68 hours already. It doesn't feel like. Still only about 19% completion and 20-odd% of the trophies. I think I'll be on the higher end of the platinum trophy estimate times.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
1700+ KO's, 25,000+ Zenny, and over 100k XP with Kotaro in a single stage. Fuck yeah. :D

Die Squirrel Die said:
I'm over 68 hours already. It doesn't feel like. Still only about 19% completion and 20-odd% of the trophies. I think I'll be on the higher end of the platinum trophy estimate times.

I think I'll be on the lower end. :lol 18:30 in and 27% of the trophies.

Urban Scholar said:
Am...I...the only one that sings to the opening theme song? Shame it's not part of the OST, someone mind directing to where I can find more songs from the group?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcEc3u_fhPc

Full lyrics:

All those dreams, all of my hope, all life come undone
In a world beat and broken I can see a rising sun
Burning down, scorching the earth, nowhere left to hide
Try to stop all this destruction, find a way , turn the tide
Reveal the bond that's made
Between the light and the shade

Shining white and hot is a moon so unforgiving
The break of day will leave a scar
Nothing we belleve can project us from tomorrow
Enjoy today from where we are

I will believe to the end
Even with my face pressed to the fire
I won't be shaken or moved
By the heat getting closer and higher

Sink or swim
Lose or win
Hold on with my naked arms

All those dreams, all of my hope, all life come undone
In a world beat and broken I can see a rising sun
Burning down, scorching the earth, nowhere left to hide
Try to stop all this destruction, find a way, turn the tide
Reveal the bond that's made
Between the light and the shade

Everywhere I go there is dark and there is sorrow
It's always just a step away
Always so amazing the sky above me
It always seems so far away

Look in the water and see
Mirrored memories scatter and sink inside
Friendship are broken and made
Now the curtain has fallen on those who tried

Flower rise
Stormy skies
Feel heaven's power on earth

I see my infinite dreams coming to an end
Sparks are flying, but my spirit will not break or even bend
Now I see my destiny only brings me pain
Now the sunshine and the shade are forced together again
I choose to follow the light
Flowing through me here tonight

I see my infinite dreams coming to an end
Sparks are flying, but my spirit will not break or even bend
Now I see all of my fire only brings me pain
From inside me or around me I will burn just the same
Moving up, I'll never stop
Until I come out on top

Valcryst

Neo Member
I'm over 48 hours, about 25% completition, 35% for the trophies...and I just can't get enough; is far beyond awesomeness, the more I play it the more I love it.

Finished two times with Oichi to unlock Honno-Ji and black routes...she's way too cool with shadow hands as a weapon, I've never played SB2:H, she used a Nanigata, right?
Then finished once with Magoichi, she's too fun to play with! She, the Demon Queen and Kotaro are my favourite characters.

And now I'm doing Tsuruhime red path, she's tough to master because of her fighting style, but after unlocking her first R2 special things are getting better and better :D

Vhalyar

67 hours, 35% completed and 45% trophies. After seeing that trophy list, I'm not sure I want to get the platinum anymore :lol

I don't think I'm going to attempt Platinum trophy, and this one takes a trip to the backlog because of the unnecessary requirements and other big Q4 games. I'll try to get to it by January.
I devoted over 100 hours to DMC4 to get all the achievements, but for a semi-basic Musou/Dynasty game I can't see the motivation in putting in that level of seriousness. The combat isn't technical and varied enough to me as something like DMC can be, and it comes out to being a grind.

Ashkeloth

...Holy shit.

I didn't know about the whole save file thing. I just checked.

I've clocked 93 HOURS since the european release on this game.

I've got 90% with all characters but Oichi and Mori. I decided to save Nobunaga's routes for all characters until last. Trophies are at 51%. I'll probably go all the way since I've put this much time into this game.

This is sort of off topic, but tangentially related. Since I've found myself madly addicted to this game, are there any other games that are as good as it? I know all about Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, etc. but word of mouth on those games post release seem to be slim.

Basically, anyone got any recommendations for other Hack n' Slash/Crowd Action games such as this that are of around the same quality?

Ashkeloth

jetsetfluken said:
Geez. Simmer the fuck down with these grinds and put more skill-based stuff instead, developers.

To be fair, Most of the trophies that I haven't got are the ones for skill based stuff such as Man of Morals (Kill less than 100 enemies in an entire campaign), and Best of the Best (Complete game on Hard with no accessories and default weapon) that are silver or gold.
I still agree though, just because there's some really grindy trophies in here, that are bronze or at best silver.

Valcryst

Neo Member
About Platinum, I'm not rushing towards it, since most trophies are coming naturally.
The most time consuming ones will be the 100 Bodyguards, 100th level for every character and every weapon/accessory/material :|

Ashkeloth said:
This is sort of off topic, but tangentially related. Since I've found myself madly addicted to this game, are there any other games that are as good as it? I know all about Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, etc. but word of mouth on those games post release seem to be slim.

Basically, anyone got any recommendations for other Hack n' Slash/Crowd Action games such as this that are of around the same quality?

Hm, I haven't played Samurai Warriors 3, but I don't think the "Warriors" games are around the same quality. DW 6 Empires is fun, I got the Platinum trophy because you can make your own generals and do 6 campaigns, but they're basically the same missions. It requires a bit more tactic (if you're going to do it in the Ruler/General mode) but it lacks in terms of action, it's sloooow and clunky compared to Sengoku Basara.

This seems interesting, but I still haven't played it;

http://dynastywarriorsstrikeforce.co.uk/

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Valcryst said:
About Platinum, I'm not rushing towards it, since most trophies are coming naturally.
The most time consuming ones will be the 100 Bodyguards, 100th level for every character and every weapon/accessory/material :|

Hm, I haven't played Samurai Warriors 3, but I don't think the "Warriors" games are around the same quality. DW 6 Empires is fun, I got the Platinum trophy because you can make your own generals and do 6 campaigns, but they're basically the same missions. It requires a bit more tactic (if you're going to do it in the Ruler/General mode) but it lacks in terms of action, it's sloooow and clunky compared to Sengoku Basara.

This seems interesting, but I still haven't played it;

http://dynastywarriorsstrikeforce.co.uk/

Oh, seriously, get Strikeforce. It's so much faster and more chaotic than standard DW. I really like it.

DTJAAAAM

I'm aiming to make this my first Platinum trophy. Cleared 10 of the main campaigns so far. I think Ieyasu will be my next character.

scotcheggz

Oh well this isn't what I thought it would be: a toned down, console spin off of the sengoku rance games :lol

Might look into this, i saw it cheap round these parts and it looks quite fun.

scotcheggz said:
Oh well this isn't what I thought it would be: a toned down, console spin off of the sengoku rance games :lol
I...what...how? Say what? I guess calling the first game here Devil Kings did more damage than we could possibly ever imagine.

Jinaar

Ishida. Rageeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! That man is angry.

"What?!?! Are you telling me the man I threaten to join my cause with death has switched sides. DISHONORABLE RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! I WILL KEEEEELS HIM!"

*garble snarf rage*

Ishida is really fun to play with his FLASH move.

I picked this up as an impulse purchase this past weekend, and I'm glad I did. I haven't played a Musuo-type game in years, but its really satisfying. I like how much more over the top Sengoku Basara is compared to the DW games. Ieyasu flying around on that big robot dude's back is too funny and cracks me up every time. I doubt I'll get anywhere near 100% completion, but it's definitely a game I can see myself coming back to when I want to kill some time.

Top Bottom