• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Burst |OT| We Now Live In a Post Happy Boobs Wrapped World

Frantic Mode? You have MUCH lower health (since you don't have any clothing to "absorb" extra damage) and I recall you have lower defense as well (including when you get Yin). However, if you're careful, it's better to use it on easier stages since you can just blaze through it with your stronger attacks.

The manual mentions there is something you get if you beat every stage on frantic mode.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The manual mentions there is something you get if you beat every stage on frantic mode.
Oh yeah, that too. I think it's
the two secret characters marked "?"
though do you have to do it for one character or can it be spread throughout multiple characters?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What do the key symbols indicate on the left side of missions? I was assuming unlockables, but I'm not entirely sure how to unlock stuff and how to tell if I've already unlocked something besides the mission end prompt.

Yeah, the story's pretty good. Well written/localized anyway. I'd say that the localization team probably did a better job here than AA5's.

Another here who got a laugh out of Yagyu and her eyepatch confusion. Enjoying the game, mainly Ikaruga and Yagyu. Ikaruga is, looks, and acts more mature so I agree with her character. Yagyu however is my favorite in battle.

Have not tried the other group story yet. I always like great sword wielders, so what was it--Yomi?--I look forward to using her in battle at least.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
To quote Hatsuu:

It was in the Japanese version, yes. I made the eShop icons with Asuka, but the dev team made the home icon. We've been getting this question a lot, but as far as I know, we're not really sure what it means either.

$30 is a pretty good price, and I always said I was going to buy this.

A few questions:

What's the block size? I wish this information was available in the details section on the eShop.

Is it actually a good beat-'em-up game?

There are two storylines to play, right? About how long is each one, and is there any extra content to keep me coming back once I've completed both?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
$30 is a pretty good price, and I always said I was going to buy this.

A few questions:

What's the block size? I wish this information was available in the details section on the eShop.

Is it actually a good beat-'em-up game?

There are two storylines to play, right? About how long is each one, and is there any extra content to keep me coming back once I've completed both?

It's about 2 gigs, I think. I'm not sure how many blocks that is.

The gameplay is kinda shallow so far, but it's responsive, quick, and frenetic... so it's still good fun.

The story isn't too bad at all. I'm not sure how long each one is, since I'm still in the middle of Hanzo. You can replay missions as many times as you want and with any characters on that side, for high scores and unlockables... so I think the replay value is pretty good.

Just started chapter 2.
;__; Rin. I wasn't expecting a game like this to have stories like that.
Yeah the story is much stronger than most people expect.

People tend to get easily distracted by a little jingling, and, generally, expect a lighter story with that kind of presentation - and, to be fair, the anime adaptation didn't do anything to help to improve on this perception (even if the more serious tones of the original games were there, they were underplayed).

So, I'm curious... what are everyone impressions about the story ? Were you surprised ? Did it add or detract to the overall experience ?

People tend to get easily distracted by a little jingling, and, to be fair, the anime adaptation didn't do anything to help to improve on this perception (even if the more serious tones of the original games were there, they were underplayed).

So, I'm curious... what are everyone impressions about the story ? Were you surprised ? Did it add or detract to the overall experience ?

Im on chapter 4, I can tolerate the story but im not feeling it, GRANTED its a better than I expected (never watched the anime) but I just wanna beat shit up, so 10 minute vn sections can be kinda annoying.

People tend to get easily distracted by a little jingling, and, to be fair, the anime adaptation didn't do anything to help to improve on this perception (even if the more serious tones of the original games were there, they were underplayed).

Surprised that It just not sexual innuendo or cheap jokes like other fanservice franchises, the inner monologues helps, I think.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Im on chapter 4, I can tolerate the story but im not feeling it, GRANTED its a better than I expected (never watched the anime) but I just wanna beat shit up, so 10 minute vn sections can be kinda annoying.

But you can easily skip it if you just want to beat shit up. And you can always go back and read it if you're interested.

I actually like the story so far. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it adds some dimension and interaction to the characters.

People tend to get easily distracted by a little jingling, and, generally, expect a lighter story with that kind of presentation - and, to be fair, the anime adaptation didn't do anything to help to improve on this perception (even if the more serious tones of the original games were there, they were underplayed).

Overall I'm thoroughly impressed. I've genuinely enjoyed all of the story segments / backstory bits so far.

I went into this only knowing it was a beat em up and the whole Life & Hometown meme. Thus, I expected a shallow game that was focused heavily on tons of fanservice. Instead, I'm left impressed that the gameplay itself is as fastpaced and engaging and it is and that the characters and story are as written as they are. Thumbs up all around.

Now I want Shinovi Versus even more than ever!

ohlawd

I like how there's a convo with Mirai about her being the only one out of the two schools without bazongas.

She motorboated the crap out of me while I played as Yagyuu but when I actually use her, her damage output is horrendous.

kiryogi

Banned
Having switched between Shinovi Versus and Burst earlier today, Burst actually still stands out better gameplay wise. While visually Versus is undeniable outstanding without the framerate hiccups, it doesn't really feel very solid/cohesive as burst in terms of the combat like Burst does. Not to mention there's way more content to the stages unlike Versus, which comes off like a DW clone but absolutely lacks the numbers.

Chapter 1? Eh, intro stuff. For the most part, characters don't really do anything to make themselves stand out. Felt four missions featuring Hibari being an airhead (Training mission, the one where she lost her scroll, the one where she fought Yagyu over a doll, and the one where she's trying to avoid detention) got in the way of the action.

Not very far into Chapter 2, but the part about
Kiriya and why he won't fight
surprised me. Good writing and plot? Who'd 'a thunk?

Abandond

Just bought it, had no idea it was out. :D Excitedddd.

Edit: Need to delete some stuff first. D:

Edit2: just went with some random 2gb sd card i found.

edit3: low battery ;__;

Just got to chapter 2. Really good game so far.

Do I have to beat frantic mode on every level with every character? Or just with any character one time? Apparently it unlocks something if you beat them all on frantic but I really don't want to have to do every level over and over again.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
image.php

Gold response.

Haven't chimed in since purchase. Played through most of chapter one, played several levels with different chars.

It is pretty enjoyable. I can't figure out why I get graded so badly because I have massive combos and don't take much damage, but I'll figure out the rank system eventually.

Story has not struck me and the long story sections honestly have been pretty boring but maybe that gets better.

Frantic mode is fun. Breakdance girl is my favorite so far aesthetically, but the MC is probably my favorite to actually play.

I noticed I'm playing this alot like Gundam Musou for the combo count. Ground combo > Launcher > Aerial Rave > Aerial Rave > ... > Air Special

Haven't chimed in since purchase. Played through most of chapter one, played several levels with different chars.

It is pretty enjoyable. I can't figure out why I get graded so badly because I have massive combos and don't take much damage, but I'll figure out the rank system eventually.

Story has not struck me and the long story sections honestly have been pretty boring but maybe that gets better.

Frantic mode is fun. Breakdance girl is my favorite so far aesthetically, but the MC is probably my favorite to actually play.

I'm guessing you do full aerial raves? If so, learn when to end them early. You can be a deadly, unstoppable force of carnage, but do remember that, as a ninja, you have to be quick about it too. :p Besides, later on, it's possible do do infinite aerials so high combos can't be made to be -much- of a factor for ratings.

Just got to chapter 2. Really good game so far.

Do I have to beat frantic mode on every level with every character? Or just with any character one time? Apparently it unlocks something if you beat them all on frantic but I really don't want to have to do every level over and over again.

The title requirements just say you have to clear every mission while in Frantic Mode, so I'm assuming just once. Don't think they'd want you beating every mission 12 times, though I miiiiight just do it anyway for the sake of having a perfect mission list. lol

kiryogi

Banned

Speed. How fast you clear a stage is also a part of the ranking.

fernoca

The game looks way ..cleaner than I expedted on the 3DSXL. Character models look smooth.

Fun game Glad I got it.
I'm gay though, would rather play controlling their master/teacher/whatever..Oh well.
Really like Ikaruga.

I'm closing in on the end of Hanzo's story and enjoying it far more than I thought I would initially. I really love the characters and the fact that the story builds them all up with interesting backgrounds and whatnot. Should I watch the anime if I don't care about the fan service aspect of the series?

nmanma

Just unlocked Hanzo's chapter 5 and the actual plot is way better than in the anime imo. It's been a while since I watched it but it seems they had to change some story bits to make it fit in 10-14 episodes and they left out the best parts

A thing I like about the combo system is that at first you need a few weak attacks to launch enemies into the air, but once the combo tree expands the number of weak attacks needed increases, so unless you exit early with a strong attack you'll get blocked or attacked from a distance before you can actually launch people for aerial attacks.

Another thing I liked that seems to be more common in anime games is random characters speaking when I select an option in the main menu, it gives games a lot of personality.

What do the key symbols indicate on the left side of missions? I was assuming unlockables, but I'm not entirely sure how to unlock stuff and how to tell if I've already unlocked something besides the mission end prompt.

Yeah, the story's pretty good. Well written/localized anyway. I'd say that the localization team probably did a better job here than AA5's.

I think it marks story missions to unlock the next chapters, while missions without keys are optional. Also, golden keys have visual novel segments while silver key missions just give you a little dialogue and put you right into battle

The only issue I had with the localization was translating "Itadakimasu!" as
"Rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub"
(to be fair that was just once, but still). They have to be trolling, there's no other explanation. But overall, yeah, the localization has been great

I'm closing in on the end of Hanzo's story and enjoying it far more than I thought I would initially. I really love the characters and the fact that the story builds them all up with interesting backgrounds and whatnot. Should I watch the anime if I don't care about the fan service aspect of the series?

There are two places that were better covered in the anime: Super ninja arts training and Hibari's
time with the Hebijos
. I found the rest worse in the anime, but if you like the characters I think they complement each other well. It's not very long either so I'd say give it a go after beating the game. If you feel like dropping it skip to the last 4 or 3 episodes, the story gets better at the end

Top Bottom