• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Community Thread: Cuteness Is Justice, Ninjas Are Life

Alfebit

Banned
CdmowcSUAAAfa-B.jpg:large

Somebody trade me for Ryona cards

ChrisDM

Gonna post this here too! <3

My original plan was to wait until Shinovi Versus comes out on Steam and then beat that and play Estival. However, the temptation is too real right now and I really want to pick up Estival and support.

I've heard really mixed opinions both in this topic and in the community thread regarding how to approach the series. Some say you should play every game to understand Estival, others have said to just play Shinovi, and then others say read the character wiki pages to prepare and you'll be fine since all you need is an understanding of the characters themselves.

Of course, I'm sure each would give a different level of understanding and appreciation. I'm feeling a bit torn here though hahah. Any further advice from this awesome fanbase? :)

Adding answers below for anyone else that is curious & thank you to Eolz & Takeru for the awesome responses! I might try out those mediocre animes. I think I can handle it hahah. :D

You certainly don't need every game.
Shinovi Versus might be good, but since EV is basically rewriting the canon, reading the wiki +asking some questions might be enough imo really.
Versus doesn't really go as deep as the 3DS games in terms of stories, and it's really more character/story details that you'll get out of the previous games really.

If you can stand mediocre animes, the first and only season basically sums up Burst (the first 3DS games). Gessen and New Hebijo were introduced in Shinovi Versus, and Bon appetit is just a fun spinoff.

Both Versus games are meant to be spin-off while the main story is truly with the 3DS games. Naturally, Estival is still a sequel to Shinovi, so you only need to play Shinovi. With that being said, these games aren't even deep and just reading the Wiki will get you caught up so I say just read that and play Estival.

My only gripe is that Estival Versus is really an improvement from Shinovi Versus so going back would feel kind of weird, at least to me. (I already Plat'd the game and plan on getting it on Steam anyway.)

Eolz

You certainly don't need every game.
Shinovi Versus might be good, but since EV is basically rewriting the canon, reading the wiki +asking some questions might be enough imo really.
Versus doesn't really go as deep as the 3DS games in terms of stories, and it's really more character/story details that you'll get out of the previous games really.

If you can stand mediocre animes, the first and only season basically sums up Burst (the first 3DS games). Gessen and New Hebijo were introduced in Shinovi Versus, and Bon appetit is just a fun spinoff.

Takeru

Both Versus games are meant to be spin-off while the main story is truly with the 3DS games. Naturally, Estival is still a sequel to Shinovi, so you only need to play Shinovi. With that being said, these games aren't even deep and just reading the Wiki will get you caught up so I say just read that and play Estival.

My only gripe is that Estival Versus is really an improvement from Shinovi Versus so going back would feel kind of weird, at least to me. (I already Plat'd the game and plan on getting it on Steam anyway.)

ChrisDM

I actually played a lot of Shinovi on my Vita, but never beat it and traded it in when I heard about the Steam version. I still have my Let's Get Physical goodies though, so that book seems like it has some good info in it.

It does sound like most people feel like I should just jump right in to Estival. :D I think I'd still support Shinovi on Steam when that arrives too.

I actually played a lot of Shinovi on my Vita, but never beat it and traded it in when I heard about the Steam version. I still have my Let's Get Physical goodies though, so that book seems like it has some good info in it.

It does sound like most people feel like I should just jump right in to Estival. :D I think I'd still support Shinovi on Steam when that arrives too.

The ending of Shinovi Versus is pretty much
Everyone gets along in the end after almost killing each other

So if you want to just jump straight into Estival, that's pretty much all you need to know.

Takeru

Sorry for low quality:
Code:
[IMG]https://i.gyazo.com/05d5e0c89f8ea8b5315bbf403d5cb9a0.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://i.gyazo.com/2f803b3464517088f8b110d9b6130767.png[/IMG]

Demoskinos

I'd be way more interested in Valkyrie Drive if playing import games on a Vita wasn't such a goddamn hassle. Especially where DLC is involved.

I'd be way more interested in Valkyrie Drive if playing import games on a Vita wasn't such a goddamn hassle. Especially where DLC is involved.

Isn't that much of an issue, I just got an 8 gigs memory card and made a JPN account on my PS4.

And hell, that is only needed if you want the DLC

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Awesome, will download tonight. I think those characters' figures also just got released, but I'm not shelling out $300 for them both.

It's only a hassle when it comes to DLC. If you don't care about DLC, just import retail copies and play on your American account.

But if you do...yeah. Account switching is a pain. I ended up just buying a second Vita for my Japanese account. The reason I'm getting the Japanese versions of DOAX3 are because of the Vita version. I don't want to account switch for the Asian version (and don't want to be "stuck" buying DLC from the Asian PSN store anyway).

I know you guys are excited for Estival but MIREI IS FINALLY AVAILABLE IN BHIKKHUNI!!!

a0zM0FO.gif

I really hope that gets localized as I decided to shelf my JP version of Estival back around release to wait until I could get the full story and now that I'm getting to experience the whole game, story and all, I'm glad that I did.

Also, after seeing how amazing EV looks/runs on PS4 I'm really hoping that the next SK and VD games are built from the ground up to be console releases first and foremost.

I know alot of people still use their Vita's often, but I'd rather the console version be the lead platform with a Vita port being a scaled back version of the PS4 game, rather than developing as a Vita title foremost that gets ported to PS4.

a0zM0FO.gif

I really hope that gets localized as I decided to shelf my JP version of Estival back around release to wait until I could get the full story and now that I'm getting to experience the whole game, story and all, I'm glad that I did.

Also, after seeing how amazing EV looks/runs on PS4 I'm really hoping that the next SK and VD games are built from the ground up to be console releases first and foremost.

I know alot of people still use their Vita's often, but I'd rather the console version be the lead platform with a Vita port being a scaled back version of the PS4 game, rather than developing as a Vita title foremost that gets ported to PS4.

I honestly beleive Bhikkhuni looks way, way better than Versus ever did (Mirei and Mamori's character models are simply stunning) so I'll defintely would love to see the series making the jump to PS4 as well.

And Takaki said he was thinking positively about Bhikkhuni so I'm hopeful it will be localized.

Also, we Smash now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEVj3DyvfuE&feature=youtu.be

Ramune

That Booty Land promo just reconfirmed Yomi is definitely best girl (for me anyway; repping that hometown while packing plenty of life). On top of that, JUST found out this exists...only about 50 of them apparently....and the one I see on Yahoo JP is....$1,330! Good Gawd! D:

#TeamLife'n'Hometown (IS there a team that likes both?)
And yeah, I'd love to join a LINE chat so I can actually use that app besides Amazon popping up spam....

I honestly beleive Bhikkhuni looks way, way better than Versus ever did (Mirei and Mamori's character models are simply stunning) so I'll defintely would love to see the series making the jump to PS4 as well.

And Takaki said he was thinking positively about Bhikkhuni so I'm hopeful it will be localized.

Also, we Smash now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEVj3DyvfuE&feature=youtu.be

Oh man, I really hope we get it, and that "smash" mode looks really awesome.

CRAZY IDEA TIME:
Make her a Dlc character with her armor , but you have to actually spend money With Dlc pack in order for her to have enough power.to fight.

MOst Meta Dlc character in an action game Ever.

I think i'm suffering from the lack of sleep

She's my favorite character from the Anime so if I were to throw money at any silly DLC this would probably be it :p

That Booty Land promo just reconfirmed Yomi is definitely best girl (for me anyway; repping that hometown while packing plenty of life). On top of that, JUST found out this exists...only about 50 of them apparently....and the one I see on Yahoo JP is....$1,330! Good Gawd! D:

#TeamLife'n'Hometown (IS there a team that likes both?)
And yeah, I'd love to join a LINE chat so I can actually use that app besides Amazon popping up spam....

Their advertising campaign has really been on point. Also had no idea that "Butt Mousepads" were a thing. I've seen the boob ones but this is something I can get behind.

Isotope

On the JP PSN Store, there are three new Estival Versus Themes up; they're &#65509;324 each, or you can buy all three together as a set for &#65509;810. Interesting to note that the set is "Vol. 1", so more could be on the way? Themes below:

TUSR

Banned
On the JP PSN Store, there are three new Estival Versus Themes up; they're &#65509;324 each, or you can buy the set together as a set for &#65509;810. Interesting to note that the set is "Vol. 1", so more could be on the way? Themes below:

Anyway I can get those onto my NA console?

Do I need to set up a JP account on the same console and get JP PSN cards?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Pretty much, yeah. But once you get them, they'll work on your US account. It's how I got the free theme.

Now if they could only release the Vita ones in the US.

am i the only one here who want uppers more the VD?

I get the impression that Uppers is more of a Beat 'Em Up which is a genre I've always loved but I really liked the VD anime and plan on picking the game up if it ever gets localized.

That said, I already have a preorder for Uppers as it seems less likely that I'll be missing out on too much story by picking up a Japanese copy compared to VD.

I played the Uppers demo and is an extremely shallow game, sluggish, mindless and very rough. The only thing it has going for it is the excellent character models (not the full graphics since background elements look like something out of the PS1 era). Bhikkhuni and SK2 are still the bst games Takaki has made

Anyways, according to Gematsu Uppers new release date is July 14

VD is better than Uppers, going by the demo for the latter. I didn't really find it any more mindless than SK though.
As long as it's better than Estival Versus then VD should come first. I finished EV hoping that by the end I might like it it nope, still prefer SV and probably won't buy the DLC characters because of that. Sorry if I sound salty but I was really looking forward to EV since it was announced and at the end I had to force myself to finish it.

Ultimadrago

As long as it's better than Estival Versus then VD should come first. I finished EV hoping that by the end I might like it it nope, still prefer SV and probably won't buy the DLC characters because of that. Sorry if I sound salty but I was really looking forward to EV since it was announced and at the end I had to force myself to finish it.

Sorry to hear that. I have never played SV, but I am adoring my time with Estival Versus. Aside from some minor combat gripes, it's everything I wanted. Like, just about all of my boxes were checked. I'm just looking forward to the next console title they do! I'd like to see what improvements they implement.

I'll definitely pick up SV on Steam when it releases, so that I may judge it on its own merits then.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

What did you like about SV over EV? Have you played SK2 on 3DS? I'd recommend that one since from a purely gameplay-related standpoint it's the better game, although it's not without its own flaws.

What did you like about SV over EV? Have you played SK2 on 3DS? I'd recommend that one since from a purely gameplay-related standpoint it's the better game, although it's not without its own flaws.
SK2 I wish I could play but I don't have a 3DS and have no plans to buy one. I have been thinking of buying it just in case but I only play at my house now so I don't think I'll get another portable console after the Vita (I just checked SK2 on amazon and the NA version doesn't appear anymore). As for EV I'm honestly I'm being harsh on it, it's not a bad game and adds many good things but also fails on some areas. To me the most important thing is gameplay for any game so I'll leave it for last, so first I'll mention the things I consider the good and bad of the game.

The things that I think EV does better than SV are:
*Costume destruction is better, it no longer rips clothes in upper or lower chunks instead making it look more like battle damaged.
*The enemies are more active even in easy so it doesn't feel like it's just the boss you're fighting.
*The super animation is part of the attack, what I mean is that it's not like on SV that you watch a cutscene (that you can and will skip after playing the game enough) and after it finishes the attack happens in game. It gives you the cutscene's camera angles while also not wasting your time so this is a really great addition (I know that SK2 is similar but I think it doesn't give you the different camera angles).
*The story mode is one long story for everyone instead of having a story for each school that contradict each other.
Is Kurokage dead from the beginning? he's alive now? did Miyabi just kill everyone at Hanzo? Or maybe she just beat them up? I honestly don't even know happened in SV.. I felt like I was playing a fighting game story.
*You can just use the ultimate ninpo now, no longer will you have to burst till you're almost dead to use it.
*The stage finishers give you something to look forward for each new stage you enter.
*It has wake up and dashing attacks giving you more tools when fighting.
*Diorama Mode, it just makes sense to have on a fan service game and I have seen some fun stuff done with it.

The things that I think SV does better than EV are:
*The computer controlled shinobi plays by the same rules as the player so when it wants to transform it has to shake you off (usually by bursting). Now in EV it cheats, it can transform in the air or when knocked down on the ground, I saw it burst when it only had a tiny bit of health that didn't go down after said burst. I have found that if you want to win in EV before the enemy transforms you have to launch it in the air and just combo it till it dies, but if her clothe breaking animation plays then you're out of luck, or just spam ninpos since it won't transform during your attack animation and as soon as the first ninpo ends you can cast another (but it won't work on buffing ninpos like Asuka's lvl 3 ninpo).
*Underwear gained from the lottery is actually varied instead of like 5 desings copy/pasted in the colors of each characters default.
*The costumes you get without DLC are better: Cheongsam, the superior Military Uniform, Armored Bikini, Spandex Unitard, Frilly Uniform, Jacket and Spats and Naughty Apron.
*The customization items you get in SV, I made a wooden smoking pipe for Haruka (two wooden dolls and a flat cat tail for smoke), gave Hikage one red eye and a nose/belly button piercings (Nose of a tengu mask and 2 baby pacifiers), I made delinquent Ikaruga (Hebijo white top with black skirt Uniform, 1 sick mask, 2 belts on her right arm and two on her right leg), and more. In EV I have cat pirate Mirai... and that's about it.
*The gameplay is faster with more responsive characters.

Finally time for gameplay. I like action games a lot but the thing is that to me there are two important things for making the game great, the player input and the interaction with enemies. The best way to make the player feel rewarded and feel like they are the ones actually pulling the moves is to have them not be a button smasher and mix the inputs so it's not just square all the time, so in games like Ninja Gaiden when I do "Square, Triangle, Square, Square, Triangle" or "8, Triangle, Square, Square, Triangle" they feel completely different and rewarding to me even thought they're both basically the same and end on a Izuna Drop. Enemy interaction would be how the enemy complements the play style of the player, either being a challenge like the claw ninjas from Ninja Gaiden dodging your attacks and making you feel you're fighting something with abilities close or superior to the character you are using or an enemy that's an obstacle like the football players in Lollipop Chainsaw that are easy if you cut their legs with a low swing of your weapon or harder if you just attack with high swings.

Now Senran Kagura SV doesn't have a complicated moveset, it's mostly hit square until you need/want to launch the enemy and said enemies aren't hard or complicated so the game is just a regular action game with some fun characters. The speed on SV made me enjoy it since it became a how fast I can beat the stage without wasting too much time and killing the stage boss without letting it transform giving me the same feeling I get from playing Hotline Miami (the "Gotta go fast!" and not think too much while doing so). Now what made me really like SV was Mirai (kinda funny because she was one of the characters I was dreading using because she looks like such a typical Gothic Lolita). Mirai plays a little different from the other characters since she's a keep away gun user that has a short back dash. Mirai's untransformed moves is made in such a way that her short combo launcher hits front of her, medium combo hits all around her and her long one is a far reaching projectile. All of Mirai's moves in conjunction with her back dash makes it into a game of different options, for example:
1. a) I'll attack you from afar, a group of enemies are surrounding me? I'm already close to my middle launcher? all of the enemies get launched.
---b) I'll attack you from afar, a group of enemies are surrounding me? I'm not close to my middle launcher? Jump->air dash back while still shooting the enemies.
2. a) A boss gets close to me? it's mostly a straight forward attacker? Side dash step-> Short Combo Launcher->Air combo
---b) A boss gets close to me? It's hard to dodge? try to parry, if not then block and find chance to retreat and attack from afar.
Now because the gameplay in EV is so slow I can hardly get a second hit before three enemies attack me and it becomes more of a "Ignore enemies/tank their attacks and just attack with Mirai because they always catch up to you and by the time you finish your long combo launcher you're surrounded again". Off course I'm exaggerating to make my point but at the end EV has become what I considered SV at the beginning, a regular action game when I'm using a fast character like Hikage and not the awesome fun I had with how Mirai plays in SV.

Fake Edit: Holy shit... I can't even remember the last time I wrote so much. If anything this shows I care about the game and I won't blame anyone for not reading all of it, I know I wouldn't :p.

I have to agree that so far I think the gameplay in SV feels better than in EV. CPUs seem to "ignore" various rules the player has and the controls seem less responsive. It's still fun though, and I don't think it's a deal breaker.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ugh, yes, it's so annoying when you're trying to do a combo but then all of a sudden, the CPU does a super but you can't cancel out in time. This is honestly the hardest SK game (& this is just playing on Normal) because it's more difficult to keep a combo going.

It also does feel like the gameplay is slower in comparison to SV. I feel like I can't quickly dash or dash-cancel as often.

It also does feel like the gameplay is slower in comparison to SV. I feel like I can't quickly dash or dash-cancel as often.
Yeah, that being said for some reason I find that Shiki is actually faster and more responsive now. I remember no liking her that much in SV but out of all the characters in EV I think she's the best overall... maybe I'm imagining it?

Ultimadrago

Okay, after messing with the Dressing Room more I can confirm that the lingerie options are lacking. It's the same few designs repeated over and over with minor shape changes.

I hope that they attend to this properly in a future title, especially for all the trouble one goes through to get them all in the Lottery.

Top Bottom