• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Community Thread: Cuteness Is Justice, Ninjas Are Life

SerTapTap

Where did you stop?

Hebijo side is actually way better than Hanzo, even though I still recommend people complete Hanzo first.

Is Hebijo more focused on fighting bosses? After 2 chapters of 95% trash mobs I quit. I should just read a plot synopsis. I know SK2 is better but Burst still hampers my excitement/ability to play it. Wish I hadn't got it honestly

Is Hebijo more focused on fighting bosses? After 2 chapters of 95% trash mobs I quit. I should just read a plot synopsis. I know SK2 is better but Burst still hampers my excitement/ability to play it. Wish I hadn't got it honestly

Ya the only reason I want to go back is the story. Plus I also enjoy unlocking the artwork.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I honestly don't remember. I just recall having a much better time with Hebijo overall. I was enjoying Hanzo, but Hebijo felt leagues stronger. I think this was in part due to the fact that Hebijo was developed well after the release of Senran Kagura vanilla, where it was only Hanzo.

All you guys talking about Burst makes me sad I never finished Hebijo. The transfer to my N3DS was fucked so I lost my copy. Oh well I'll just play some Vs.

fbOaHn0.png

So, open topic question. We all know that fan service is one of the reasons why we play SK as well as for other reasons like the art style and loads of unlocks, such as myself. What other games offer fan service that you enjoy? From straight up gratuitous panty shots to something more subtle like Warriors Orochi that added Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive characters to the roster. Whats your favorite types of fan service and your favorite fan service oriented title?

So, open topic question. We all know that fan service is one of the reasons why we play SK as well as for other reasons like the art style and loads of unlocks, such as myself. What other games offer fan service that you enjoy? From straight up gratuitous panty shots to something more subtle like Warriors Orochi that added Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive characters to the roster. Whats your favorite types of fan service and your favorite fan service oriented title?

None. I only care for fanservice when there are beautiful ninja girls in it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Does stuff like Super Smash Bros or J-Stars Victory. Vs count? Because I love crossovers & the things that they reference. That counts as fanservice, right?

As someone that's really into the art style that these games have, (I can totally see why alot of you guys are so passionate about the franchise) does anyone have a suggestion of where to start in the series? I own a US vita, a US 3DS XL and a JP N3DS so I think I should be good in terms of having the systems to play, I've also seen that there's the physical cards and a digital card game that doesn't seem to be out in the US. Any suggestions are appreciated and I apologize if this has been brought up in the past, but I occasionally lurk this thread so I may have missed it if someone has already asked.

Does Lightning Returns count? If so it's that.

Not sure how LR would be considered fan service other than her getting her own game... I hate 13 / 13-2... Havent tried LR because of how salty I was over the other two.

None. I only care for fanservice when there are beautiful ninja girls in it.

Does DOA count towards that? Lol.

As someone that's really into the art style that these games have, (I can totally see why alot of you guys are so passionate about the franchise) does anyone have a suggestion of where to start in the series? I own a US vita, a US 3DS XL and a JP N3DS so I think I should be good in terms of having the systems to play, I've also seen that there's the physical cards and a digital card game that doesn't seem to be out in the US. Any suggestions are appreciated and I apologize if this has been brought up in the past, but I occasionally lurk this thread so I may have missed it if someone has already asked.

I imported like 400 cards from the card game just because I like the art. If anyone has a problem, its me.

(This man feels no shame.)

Senran Kagura Burst on the 3ds is the start. I usually say that if you want to get into a series start with the first released.

SerTapTap

Neptunia I guess, though it's more tongue in cheek than Senran Kagura by a country mile...SK kind of feels like they throw the silly stuff in after, Neptunia is the reverse. Love the characters, design, humor. There's also a Senran Kagura not-quite-crossover character--Marvelous, who is a representation of...Marvelous, dresses like, and has palette swaps of, Senran Kagura characters and is a Ninja.

I also have a Super Sonico PS3 game but it's half VN and thus pretty hard/frustrating to play. The VN stuff is unfailable though, and the rest is dress up/photography which is pretty fun. It's obviously low-budget though, her boobs/clothes have assorted clipping issues.

Senran Kagura Burst on the 3ds is the start. I usually say that if you want to get into a series start with the first released.

Disagree. Story is not so important here, personalities are, and Versus does a great job of expressing those, in addition to far superior performance, gameplay, graphics, fanservice...just, everything. I would really recommend starting with Shinovi Versus unless you really like okay-tier story and can tolerate an incredible amount of highly repetitive and not very good gameplay. I got two chapters in and didn't see a bit of story I'd consider redeeming. They're Ninjas. Ninjas fight ninjas. That's the story, play Versus.

Neptunia I guess, though it's more tongue in cheek than Senran Kagura by a country mile...SK kind of feels like they throw the silly stuff in after, Neptunia is the reverse. Love the characters, design, humor. There's also a Senran Kagura not-quite-crossover character--Marvelous, who is a representation of...Marvelous, dresses like, and has palette swaps of, Senran Kagura characters and is a Ninja.

I also have a Super Sonico PS3 game but it's half VN and thus pretty hard/frustrating to play. The VN stuff is unfailable though, and the rest is dress up/photography which is pretty fun. It's obviously low-budget though, her boobs/clothes have assorted clipping issues.

Disagree. Story is not so important here, personalities are, and Versus does a great job of expressing those, in addition to far superior performance, gameplay, graphics, fanservice...just, everything. I would really recommend starting with Shinovi Versus unless you really like okay-tier story and can tolerate an incredible amount of highly repetitive and not very good gameplay.

Ive always seen the Super Sonico figures but never knew it was from a game / franchise. The figures can be all over the spectrum from insanely lewd to super tame.

Disagree. Story is not so important here, personalities are, and Versus does a great job of expressing those, in addition to far superior performance, gameplay, graphics, fanservice...just, everything. I would really recommend starting with Shinovi Versus unless you really like okay-tier story and can tolerate an incredible amount of highly repetitive and not very good gameplay. I got two chapters in and didn't see a bit of story I'd consider redeeming.

That's awesome! I only have the 1st Neptunia game on my Vita. I haven't had time to play it yet though because of other games.

Also SV is a far better game, but if he gets into it going back is much harder.

Thanks for the replies :D I'm definitely gonna be picking up some of the cards,
ALL of the cards :p
And in that case Burst as well as I also like to start things in the chronological release order. I appreciate the tip about skipping Burst as the gameplay sounds like it may not be the high-point of that game, do you think I'd be able to get by watching cutscenes online to catch up on the story and then go right to Shinovi Versus? Either way I'd like to pick up the 3DS games to both show support for the series in the states as well as starting an SK collection. And in regards to the fan service question, I picked up Bullet Girls after seeing this NSFW gameplay video- https://youtu.be/bCW-EgL-hsA
Edit:Bullet Girls vid is NSFW, sorry about that Hitmann

Thanks for the replies :D I'm definitely gonna be picking up some of the cards,
ALL of the cards :p
And in that case Burst as well as I also like to start things in the chronological release order. I appreciate the tip about skipping Burst as the gameplay sounds like it may not be the high-point of that game, do you think I'd be able to get by watching cutscenes online to catch up on the story and then go right to Shinovi Versus? Either way I'd like to pick up the 3DS games to both show support for the series in the states as well as starting an SK collection. And in regards to the fan service question, I picked up Bullet Girls after seeing this gameplay video- https://youtu.be/bCW-EgL-hsA

Ive been wanting to import that but im afraid I wont be able to play it because its not in English. If the menus are in English I might be able to get by... I imported EV purely to show support and attempt to play it without understanding a single thing...

Edit: Oh god, I definately should not have clicked that link at work.

Not to mention the stripes...I mean

Tb7a3DU.png

Whats that animation actually called anyways? Ive been out of the loop on animations. I only watch older ones usually. Just picked up all of .Hack//SIGN on dvd over the weekend.

Edit: Same artist does doujinshi... dont they? Art style looks familar.

Demoskinos

Playing Shinovi Versus on my lunch break.
Tried doing the final secret battle that you unlock for beating the main story
. Good god Asuka is insanely hard. Guess I'm going to have to level poor Homura up before I attempt that again.

Playing Shinovi Versus on my lunch break.
Tried doing the final secret battle that you unlock for beating the main story
. Good god Asuka is insanely hard. Guess I'm going to have to level poor Homura up before I attempt that again.

I did the opposite and used Asuka. Wasn't to bad for me but took a bit of work. I need to go back and beat it with Homura.

Kantai collection is ship girls. Girls with the souls of historical Japanese ships. It has an anime but was based on I think a browser game.

Edit: Also Asuka is a pain in the ass to fight because she spams her break arts.

SerTapTap

That's awesome! I only have the 1st Neptunia game on my Vita. I haven't had time to play it yet though because of other games.

Also SV is a far better game, but if he gets into it going back is much harder.

Rebirth 1 is good, but has flaws, there's some rough patches in difficulty early on (and only early on awkwardly enough) but it's worth sticking through IMO. Rebirth 2 has no such difficulty issues. Very good humor and I love their character designer. Noire and Histoire are my favs. It's not flawless, but still pretty decent as a JRPG--just a few annoyances and they're improving all the time.

Ive always seen the Super Sonico figures but never knew it was from a game / franchise. The figures can be all over the spectrum from insanely lewd to super tame.

She's Nitro Plus' mascot. ...Nitro Plus makes VNs. (I always have to answer both those questions) She's a model, hence all the different outfits and poses. She's not originally from the game, it's more a game for Sonico fans. I mostly got it because I managed to find the Japanese CE at a decent price (no more than it would have cost in japan, with free ship!). Came with the game, a cute little chibi fig, a bizarrely sized pillowcase I can't use (pretty small), cute box and a DLC custom I haven't actually found how to use ingame.

Picking outfits is my favorite part of the game:

The photo-shooting is alright, it's like a rhythm FPS sort of deal (with a camera). Pretty easy, though you're also ranked on how well the clothes match the request (I think) and I have no idea what the requests are. Doesn't seem to be fail states so I've just plowed through the story. Sonico's VA has a cute voice though I mostly have no idea what's going on. Also her manager is an Oni or something

Chrom

I only like to play Senran Kagura.

ShinMaruku

Warriors Oorchi 3 has gotten a bit less subtle if you pick the DOA females and Kyuubi because they bounce and dress ahem. >_>

But yeah I like Senran Kagura ,Wo3 and Oneechanbara which makes them all kind of tame with the fruit bikinis.

Demoskinos

Anything that has good game play to go with it. Fan service is delicious icing on an already delicious cake.

Top Bottom