• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Community Thread: Cuteness Is Justice, Ninjas Are Life

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've been wanting to get into SK but don't own any of the systems that the games were released on. Fortunately I found out that you can watch Ninja Flash on Funimation's site for free. That was a good show... the characters were interesting and the plot was cool as well. Can't wait for Estival Versus to come stateside (will be my first SK game, just need to buy a PS4 before then).

Ya I plan to watch the anime now. Finished up a show last night and I figured I will watch and give it my own thoughts. I hear bad things but then again I am very easy to please with anime. Soooo giving that and my obsession with Senran I think I will like it.

Someone told me there's a lot less ecchi parts to the anime than there is in the games, but that there is OVAs that turn that around yet I've never seen any of the OVAs for sale or anywhere. Other than the one that will release with EV. As long as there is good character interaction I don't really need Queens Blade level of lewd, but it just feels like after playing the games that is what it should be...

Is that wrong? :l

Puruzi

Banned
There's a shitload of lewd whenever Haruka is on screen. When Haruka and Hibari are both on screen, holy fucking shit.
That licking

The specials are pretty lewd.

Someone has to link me to said OVAs / "Specials" cause I've only ever seen the DVD and Blu Ray collections yet those don't include them, supposedly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dkDZNTAO3k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWwX2VRoAfs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfEoMCewBPk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1_b2COeu4Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0jfUAvVqxE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8S_wAHcI5w

Last episode was directed by animator Takashi Torii (who also did the chara-design for the TV series if I'm not mistaken)

Can they actually be bought on hard copy though. Like can I physically own them and play them on an NA region device, thats what I want.

SerTapTap

Augh it's still not on Best Buy, guess I'll preorder on Amazon just in case. Sure am glad I share Amazon prime with my parents right now "your order of ... Double D has shipped!"

I dont even really care if theyre not localized. If they have subtitles thats fine. I just want to own them on DVD is all. I bought the blu-ray collectors edition but theyre not on it. Kinda weird considering Queens Blade and Ikkitousen all came with the OVAs. I guess I just need to do more research when im at home... Last I saw the individual dvd sets were like 60 a piece...

Ya I plan to watch the anime now. Finished up a show last night and I figured I will watch and give it my own thoughts. I hear bad things but then again I am very easy to please with anime. Soooo giving that and my obsession with Senran I think I will like it.

I did quite enjoy the anime, which was my first exposure to Senran Kagura period. I'm quite sure you'll enjoy it too :).

Im new to importing, I only just started doing it with figures and games. Ive never imported movies or series'. I dont know what sites work best for what. I use Play Asia cause im the most familiar with them and they always get me my stuff within the same week which is pretty awesome even though people say theyre a tad on the expensive side. I dont mind paying extra for a little more "insurance" plus they give coupons with every order so thats pretty cool too. (I have like 5-6 on my desk. :l )

I just want to own the OVAs so I can watch them at any time. I try not to download stuff because I want to hold ownership of the material / license and pay for the peoples work. Its their livelihood to make the game / movie / series or whatever and I want to support them for that. Unless theyre available from the maker themselves for free as a download then thats a different story...

Chrom

I know there are unofficial English subtitles of the specials floating around online somewhere, I've watched them. I wasn't able to find them on YouTube at the time though.

Pics_nao

4ce75d8b7ef53bd0.jpg

Good fucking lord

SerTapTap

I want to own them, that's what i've been trying to say...

Yeah for me just watching digital anime doesn't really do much for me--which is weird I guess, I'm fine with digital games if I can't get it otherwise. But I can't really be interested in an anime unless I can get a blu ray set at a reasonable price. *glares death at absurdly priced Neptunia and still pretty badly priced Kill La Kill blu rays*

Yeah for me just watching digital anime doesn't really do much for me--which is weird I guess, I'm fine with digital games if I can't get it otherwise. But I can't really be interested in an anime unless I can get a blu ray set at a reasonable price. *glares death at absurdly priced Neptunia and still pretty badly priced Kill La Kill blu rays*

My buddy wants me to watch Gurren Laggan (sp?) and I was just like sure let me take out another loan on my house... Absurd what the box set costs.

The only reason I got .Hack is cause they rereleased it otherwise it's like 150$ for 24 episodes...

Princess Tutuleo !

Princess Life ;>

Never the less, if someone could help me find and NA region compatible set of the OVAs on Blu ray or DVD to buy is appreciate it. Gonna prowl the internet tonight when I get home to see if I can find them.

Not sure whre you are located but I think it's up on Netflix and Crunchyroll. I just watched it for the first time last weekend and WOW

Blame Aniplex. Their pricing is just insane.

I live out in the middle of no where. I use satellite for internet and a hotspot to play games online. Streaming kind of isnt an option for me otherwise the internet bill sky rockets... Thats probably the major reason why I want stuff physically. Then I can watch it whenever, where ever.

Gurren Lagann is one of my favourite things of all time. Very self-aware in a good way and great build of insanity. Still need to watch the movies though.

Nintendo got me to update my 3DS. Ace Attorney Trilogy is on sale and it's only available digitally. See you in the summer SK2.

SerTapTap

My buddy wants me to watch Gurren Laggan (sp?) and I was just like sure let me take out another loan on my house... Absurd what the box set costs.

The only reason I got .Hack is cause they rereleased it otherwise it's like 150$ for 24 episodes...

I see $100 for Gurren Lagann which isn't great but doesn't seem too horrible either, or is this a bad version or something? I'm way behind on most of this stuff...I just have .Hack and FLCL. I don't really passively watch much of anything at all

.Hack is great, hope you enjoy it

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I see $100 for Gurren Lagann which isn't great but doesn't seem too horrible either, or is this a bad version or something? I'm way behind on most of this stuff...I just have .Hack and FLCL. I don't really passively watch much of anything at all

It's an old DVD release. There's nothing wrong with it, though I think there was an early manufacturing defect with the discs when it first came out. $100 is an inflated price because the set is discontinued (this set retailed for around $40, I think). This is what happens often with anime. The physical discs become discontinued and eventually difficult to find, which causes the prices to skyrocket on the secondary market.

The blu-ray is only available through Aniplex or third party sellers, and it's only a collector's edition package that's pretty pricey.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think that's an older release by Bandai or something. If you want Blu-Ray/better quality, that's when it gets seriously expensive. Also the reviews seem to be all over the place for that version because of defects, skipping, & such.

Aniplex also FINALLY released GL on Blu-Ray outside of that Collector's Edition, but it's about $50 for FIVE OR SIX EPISODES EACH. So about $10 per episode, & it'll still cost about $250 minimum to get all the episodes on Blu-Ray.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think that's an older release by Bandai or something. If you want Blu-Ray/better quality, that's when it gets seriously expensive. Also the reviews seem to be all over the place for that version.

...actually, after doing some research, it MIGHT be a bootleg. That would explain why so many people had issues.

It's not a bootleg. I own it. I bought it from Best Buy.

SerTapTap

It's an old DVD release. There's nothing wrong with it, though I think there was an early manufacturing defect with the discs when it first came out. $100 is an inflated price because the set is discontinued (this set retailed for around $40, I think). This is what happens often with anime. The physical discs become discontinued and eventually difficult to find, which causes the prices to skyrocket on the secondary market.

The blu-ray is only available through Aniplex or third party sellers, and it's only a collector's edition package that's pretty pricey.

Ah. Crap like limited edition-only rereleases are part of why I just give up on this crap. I think I missed the big Cowboy Beebop set too. Don't really want old crappy DVD versions if there are better versions, but don't want to spend $10 an episode on blu rays

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's not a bootleg. I own it. I bought it from Best Buy.
Ah, okay. I was hearing about how some Bandai & Discotek DVDs had bootlegs, which could've explained some of the quality issues.

But yeah, Funimation's releases are so much more affordable.

Puruzi

Banned
Gurren Lagann is one of my favourite things of all time. Very self-aware in a good way and great build of insanity. Still need to watch the movies though.

Nintendo got me to update my 3DS. Ace Attorney Trilogy is on sale and it's only available digitally. See you in the summer SK2.
Skip the first movie, watch the second. The second is next level, was one of the best thing I've ever seen.

I absolutely love the .Hack games and anime. One of my favorites from being an adolescent. Im hoping one of the games CC2 has been teasing is a next gen .Hack MMO / FauxMMO like the other games were cause I will flip my shit.

The only animes I own on DVD are .Hack, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT (Ill shamelessly admit), Outlaw Star, Senran Kagura and Hyakka Samurai Girls.

I want to get KITE and Mezzo Forte on DVD but every time I go to FYE I chicken out because its always under the A18 section because they only sell the uncut versions...

SerTapTap

I absolutely love the .Hack games and anime. One of my favorites from being an adolescent. Im hoping one of the games CC2 has been teasing is a next gen .Hack MMO / FauxMMO like the other games were cause I will flip my shit.

The only animes I own on DVD are .Hack, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT (Ill shamelessly admit), Outlaw Star, Senran Kagura and Hyakka Samurai Girls.

Better not be an ACTUAL MMO though IMO. I can't see the story and all it's breaking-the-game, you are special stuff working in an MMO. But at this point I'm ready for anything .Hack. Unless it has a subscription fee.

Top Bottom