• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Community Thread: Cuteness Is Justice, Ninjas Are Life

Labrys

I think I appreciate the diversity/aesthetic of Crimson over Hanzo but I like both. Even Hikage is really growing on me, she was kind of strange to me at first but she's cool.

Chrom

Ah, okay. Hm. How often does it go on eShop sale? I'm not in EU so I can't get a physical copy.

Xseed isn't known for putting their games on sale on the eShop frequently. At least for NA, Burst has only gone on sale one time, and that was near the launch of Shinovi Versus. If they ever do a sale again, I suppose it may happen closer to Deep Crimson's release this summer, if not a permanent price drop.

Moonlight

Banned
Been waiting for Shinovi to drop in price forever, so I finally picked it up just to see what the whole deal is. It's actually a better game than I expected, although I haven't actually figured much of it out besides mashing square a lot. Predictably, my rankings suffer.

I thought I'd like Ikaruga the best after playing around with the characters in training (dat iaijitsu), but so far I'm getting the best results with Katsuragi. I can get Bs with her where everyone else is straight Ds. She seems a lot more straightforward in terms of racking up combos/damage than, like, Yagyu is. Which is kind of a shame, since I'm not actually a huge fan of Katsuragi the character. Yagyu is probably my favourite so far strictly in terms of design/personality archetype (could do without the eyepatch), but I really can't stress how bad I am at her. I thought I'd like Asuka more than I do, as well, but she's a little too peppy for me.

I just met Gessan, not sure what to think of them so far.

Isotope

So how exactly do I go about playing as Sayuri/Jasmine? Already on 1.05, and I read they added her as a playable character in 1.04? Do I need to beat the game first?

SerTapTap

After actually using some of the level 5 supers in Estival I'm even more disapointed they keep making level 5s cost so much. A lot of these are really cool but you probably won't even be able to use most of them them after going through the main story. Most of my characters weren't even high enough level to burn 5 scrolls. Miyabi's is really cool for instance, but almost nothing is worth burning 5 scrolls and it takes so long to even get there. It's frustrating to have so much cool stuff that is basically useless or so situational it might as well be useless.

Was gonna stream some EV but got sick. Maybe this week, I'm only like 60% better. But I need to get back in the habbit of talking loudly at my computer screen

So how exactly do I go about playing as Sayuri/Jasmine? Already on 1.05, and I read they added her as a playable character in 1.04? Do I need to beat the game first?

Probably, but Granny only shows up in the character select on the level select screen, not the one accessible from the main menu too. The one with the chibi faces. If you don't have transformed granny unlocked I assume it's not going to give you granny either.

BTW is granny bugged? She was doing literally no damage to the wooden robot dudes when I played, I had to quit.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

They are treated as two separate characters. You get Jasmine when you reach her levels in the story mode, towards the end of the game. You should have Sayuri after the 1.05 patch; you just select her using L1/R1 when selecting levels. She doesn't have her own stages or story.

ShinMaruku

I think Gessen is the best because they developed more than the others. :p
Also they were trained by Kurokage and Hanzo dey got da best skills. :p

Demoskinos

Minus Yumi Gessen is pretty legit. Minori becoming a surprising favorite of mine recently after really disliking her for awhile.

Eolz

Crimson Squad>Hanzo>Hebijo>Gessen

I'd probably agree with that, reversing New Hebijo and Gessen depending on the story parts and characters involved. They're far from being as good and developed as the original schools though imo, but that's probably because they're being treated as such.
If some New Wave schools had real stories, I'm sure there'd be a debate about those too.

Labrys

Slightly dumb question, but since the DLC carries over from Shinovi to Bon Appetit, if I got the Daidouji/Rin DLC would they unlock? Or would I have to get the DLC for the other 2 schools?

I'm almost done with story modes for the girls in BA which is why I'm asking, just wanna cover all my bases.

MetalDeer

Praise be to Yozakura, and praise be to Life.

Also, can't you guys just get along? All the senrans are great.

On an unrelated note, I finally got around to buying DanganRonpa 1 & 2, so I'll have those to play in a couple days.
Further putting off finishing Shinovi Versus.

Puruzi

Banned
Praise be to Yozakura, and praise be to Life.

Also, can't you guys just get along? All the senrans are great.

On an unrelated note, I finally got around to buying DanganRonpa 1 & 2, so I'll have those to play in a couple days.
Further putting off finishing Shinovi Versus.

YES. These games are excellent. They're in the top 10 best games that i've played for sure.

And Yumi is not great. She suuuuckkks.

Labrys

Dangan Ronpa is great. I did the OT for 2, and I'm lined up to do the OT for the spin off coming out this fall. Just avoid any threads before you're done, it's very easy to get spoiled.

ascii42

Slightly dumb question, but since the DLC carries over from Shinovi to Bon Appetit, if I got the Daidouji/Rin DLC would they unlock? Or would I have to get the DLC for the other 2 schools?

I'm almost done with story modes for the girls in BA which is why I'm asking, just wanna cover all my bases.

You have to get the DLC for the other schools to get Rin.

MetalDeer

Oh yes, I've been avoiding anything related to DanganRonpa for quite a while now. Which is probably a good thing, because I've apparently seen quite a few spoilers, but I don't remember them at all because I know very little about the game.

I asked someone a while back what the games were like without spoiling anything, and it sounds like something I'd enjoy, so hopefully I will!

Vylash

Dangan Ronpa is great. I did the OT for 2, and I'm lined up to do the OT for the spin off coming out this fall. Just avoid any threads before you're done, it's very easy to get spoiled.
oh hey that's you! can you do me a favor and give a plug to the community thread in the OT? hoping it'll bring in more traffic

Moonlight

Banned
I feel like I might like Yumi more if she didn't have the goofiest run animation in the game. It's just silly looking to watch her air-skate. Gessan-wise, Yozakura is definitely best, though. Pilebunkers make for the coolest moveset, and her design is pretty rocking.

Put some more time into the game, and managed to sfore my first legit A rank with Ikaruga. Definitely finally finding my feet with the systems. Her directional slashing move is kind of insane for boosting your chain. I'm a lot more confident about how to use the Arts, too. Only thing I'm still a little terrible at is blocking, and figuring out when to use the Breach Art.

By far the character I have the most trouble with is Hibari, though. She feels like such a weird, awkward character to use. Hometown is not for me, clearly.

Labrys

So, I didn't see that, but apparently EV's Perfect Bible (usual artbook + guide + interviews package released for every game) is out June 25. Already on Ninnin for example

only 3.5k for all that? Wow. Might have to preorder once I get some more money in.
There's lots of cool merch so I have a feeling it might become a little bit of a money sink, especially after seeing the Phat co. figures. If they release a good Haruka PVC i'll be even worse in the money hole.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, I didn't see that, but apparently EV's Perfect Bible (usual artbook + guide + interviews package released for every game) is out June 25. Already on Ninnin for example

Since the latest Senran Kagura Visual Collection is being localized in the U.S., I might just hold out for Udon to pick up this one down the line as well.

Since the latest Senran Kagura Visual Collection is being localized in the U.S., I might just hold out for Udon to pick up this one down the line as well.

Have they done any of the other books?

Also how is that Nin Nin site? Tempted to order on there instead of waiting for Ami

It's the Official Design Works that's getting released in the coming months; none of the Game Bibles will get an US release I think - or very unlikely.

Yes, the Ebten page has been up for 2-3 days now I think ? I will probably preorder it on Mangaoh myself :)

Eolz

Also how is that Nin Nin site? Tempted to order on there instead of waiting for Ami

Only ordered one time from Nin Nin and they're a bit slow to send stuff and more expensive in terms of shipping, but apart from that, there's a good protection and they have better stock than other websites like Nippon-Yassan.
Heard mixed opinions about them, but that they've been getting better. Heard that it's better to choose another one if you don't live in Europe too (for better prices and delays).

It's the Official Design Works that's getting released in the coming months; none of the Game Bibles will get an US release I think - or very unlikely.

Yes, the Ebten page has been up for 2-3 days now I think ? I will probably preorder it on Mangaoh myself :)

Yeah, but the design works is basically the game bibles without the guide parts. There might be a new collection in the future (2 + Dekamori + EV), would make sense.
Also, cool, didn't know that it was already up on ebten. Will see the different offers available, usually order from CDJapan.

Yeah, but the design works is basically the game bibles without the guide parts. There might be a new collection in the future (2 + Dekamori + EV), would make sense.

Not false, yes. Maybe a little early thought ? I would expect at least another major work to get released before an eventual Design Works 2...
I still keep my bloodied fingers crossed for a New Wave second collection, of course. And another anime series ! (and the art-book that would come with it ! ) :D

Also, cool, didn't know that it was already up on ebten. Will see the different offers available, usually order from CDJapan.

Frankly, I don't know what to make of the Yumi bottle. Oh well, at least I will get to buy a regular edition, for once... ;p

Labrys

Ah, also, I've improved in Shinovi! I got 2 C ranks and a B. 1 C was on Ikaruga, and the other C and the B were on Yumi. Yumi is interesting to play as, I feel like I can chain combos a bunch as her and I like how quickly she moves. Her pink alt outfit also is probably my favorite alt so far, I changed her into it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Have they done any of the other books?

The Official Design Works will be the first, but it might pave the way for the others!

I think Nin-Nin tends to be a little overpriced, especially compared to AmiAmi. They basically act as a proxy like Nippon-Yasan or BigInJapan.

SerTapTap

Would people recommend getting the physical OVA thing or is it too late for that or what? Kinda snoozed on it, any goodies come with it?

This is all different stuff from the English Offical Design Works coming out, right?

My OVA finally shipped. Should have both my new Katsu and the OVA by mid next week and then another Katsu waiting for me when I get back from E3.

Dat Katsu hype doh.

Regrettably, I need more Yozakura in my life. Make it happen figure companies!

Someones going to have to be a champ and DM me links to all the new goodies coming out... I havent had time to scratch my own ass lately. Swamped at work. Was out of office a couple days now im a week behind playing catch up. :/

Anything new for EV? Saw someone post an art book or something?

Let's see - apart the EV bible book and squishy Katsu in june, we have (or have had) : the amiami ZERO Katsu in April (or was it a re-release ? Has it been THIS late ?), and the two Amie-Grand figures in july and august... and that's all ?

Probably an anthology comics for Estival Versus in the coming month. All the other games have had their own.

There probably won't be a lot of SK good this year anyway as Marvelous prepare to launch its new Valkyrie Drive franchise. They need to focus.

On the fandom front, I keep my fingers crossed for some new good doujinshis at Comiket in august.

Let's see - apart the EV bible book and squishy Katsu in june, we have (or have had) : the amiami ZERO Katsu in April (or was it a re-release ? Has it been THIS late ?), and the two Amie-Grand figures in july and august... and that's all ?

Probably an anthology comics for Estival Versus in the coming month. All the other games have had their own.

There probably won't be a lot of SK good this year anyway as Marvelous prepare to launch its new Valkyrie Drive franchise. They need to focus.

On the fandom front, I keep my fingers crossed for some new good doujinshis at Comiket in august.

Katsu Zero figure? Which one is that one? An which are the two in July / August?

Labrys

i have a new favorite

it's imu

her fighting style is really easy for me to use AND she has a nice aesthetic. and ofc there's like no merch of her

MetalDeer

i have a new favorite

it's imu

her fighting style is really easy for me to use AND she has a nice aesthetic. and ofc there's like no merch of her

I love Imu's fighting style, it's crazy fast and really easy to play. She's my favorite character to play as.

Also: DanganRonpa get!

Labrys

I think she has one of my favorite ninpo animations too, I really like when she does the thing with the stick, it's like she extremely means buisness

Top Bottom