• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Community Thread: Cuteness Is Justice, Ninjas Are Life

Puruzi

Banned
The stories in general are pretty good

that doesn't change the fact that expecting story from a standard 30 minute bonus OVA is extremely silly though

It is very silly.

I only know of two OVAs ever that have had anything to do with a story.

Most of them are noncanon fanservice bullshit, which is still okay.

I haven't watched the OVA's
yet
, but dont get me wrong I like the series in general.

I played Burst first and was expecting nothing more than what's advertised. I actually raised my eyebrows in surprise to the text parts where they go into the characters history and backgrounds, being somewhat dark and sad.

Then again I am preaching to the choir since everyone here likes the series. :)

SerTapTap

Really? The story doesn't really interest me, I prefer the characters and how silly they are.

Stuff like this is why I wish more games discussion was aware of the difference between "story" and writing. IMO, writing is way more important than story and tons of games with simple/silly "stories" have great writing--to me, that's Senran Kagura, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Borderlands. Arguably even Uncharted--I think the writing makes those games even if the stories are somewhat simple. I'll take that over a complex but poorly written story (ahem recent final fantasy) any time.

Though as was said, the story isn't always bad either. Just a bit simple and strung over a longer period of time than usual. The back stories in Shinovi are mostly great IMO, even if the "SCHOOL FIGHT" story is extremely lame until you get to Hejibo and Crimson, and even then it's really just the last chapter where anything interesting happens. But good humorous writing even when basically nothing of note is happening is what keeps the dialog worth reading.

Though as was said, the story isn't always bad either. Just a bit simple and strung over a longer period of time than usual. The back stories in Shinovi are mostly great IMO, even if the "SCHOOL FIGHT" story is extremely lame until you get to Hejibo and Crimson, and even then it's really just the last chapter where anything interesting happens. But good humorous writing even when basically nothing of note is happening is what keeps the dialog worth reading.

I've always found Versus writing in genral to be very weak and at some points straight up terrible.

Everything related to Kurokage is idiotic and this in turn taints all of Gessen's writing. It doesn't help either that most of the individual stories of the Gessen girls are either paper thin or poor retreads of the same plot beats and themes introduced on Burst.

Hebijo is straight up terrible and the twins are the worst.

SerTapTap

I've always found Versus writing in genral to be very weak and at some points straight up terrible.

Everything related to Kurokage is idiotic and this in turn taints all of Gessen's writing. It doesn't help either that most of the individual stories of the Gessen girls are either paper thin or poor retreads of the same plot beats and themes introduced on Burst.

Hebijo is straight up terrible and the twins are the worst.

Only if you exclude the backstory, humor and character interactions...you're basically talking about the straight up story, which is exactly why I was bringing up the difference between story and writing, or we just disagree. IMO the character interactions and backstories were great even if the story itself is mostly just stretching "we must fight because we must fight" into 5 chapters across 4 schools.

Can't agree Hebijo was terrible though I know some people don't like it due to the tonal shift. It's the only story where anything happens outside of the last chapter of crimson squad, though the ending spoils it since they basically pulled a "JUST KIDDING". It was interesting to see "evil shinobi" almost actually be evil for a brief time. Hopefully they've given up on the "evil shinobi" stuff after two full games of awkwardly explaining actually there's no relevant difference. Best I can tell Estival forgoes that entirely, but it also seems entirely outside the standard storyline.

So Yozakura is OP as hell, fun to play as and generally awesome. Best new girl of SV so far

tumblr_nh56ijoJcD1tm1dgio5_500.jpg
tumblr_nh56ijoJcD1tm1dgio1_500.jpg
tumblr_nqb15dDaev1ut2jt3o1_500.jpg

Only if you exclude the backstory, humor and character interactions...you're basically talking about the straight up story, which is exactly why I was bringing up the difference between story and writing, or we just disagree. IMO the character interactions and backstories were great even if the story itself is mostly just stretching "we must fight because we must fight" into 5 chapters across 4 schools.

Can't agree Hebijo was terrible though I know some people don't like it due to the tonal shift. It's the only story where anything happens outside of the last chapter of crimson squad, though the ending spoils it since they basically pulled a "JUST KIDDING". It was interesting to see "evil shinobi" almost actually be evil for a brief time. Hopefully they've given up on the "evil shinobi" stuff after two full games of awkwardly explaining actually there's no relevant difference. Best I can tell Estival forgoes that entirely, but it also seems entirely outside the standard storyline.

Not at all.

Neither Gessen nor Hebijo have a team dynamic to speak of. There's no reason at all to believe that the Gessen girls are the family the plot tell us about. Yumi spends all of their shared screen time barking orders and doing whatever the hell she pleases, dragging the rest of them with her. The only characters that receive some development are Murakumo and Shiki.

Character-wise, Yumi is walking cliche with nothing to make her stand out between other characters from the same archetype. Yozakura is totally inconsequential in story and her character can be summed as simple waifubait. Minori has an interesting background to explore but it goes nowhere. Shiki is by far the best developed character on the Gessen side but even then, her importance is minimal. Murakumo's gimmick gets irritating pretty fast and her backstory is a poor attempt of combining Yomi's and Ikaruga's into one with Kumo's dynamic to those two being really forced and filled with plot holes.

Hebijo's story is terrible because things happen just because. We're led to believe that Miyabi's motivations are one for the bulk of the story just to suddenly change on the final chapter. There's simply not logic or sequence to their actions other than "look how badass we are by killing the other characters" And what is worse, their ending is just incoherent with the plot itself.

Imu as character is pretty one-note (on Versus at least) and her actions at the end are a massive asspull.

Murasaki is the best Hebijo if only because they developed her issues but even then, she's quite irritating at times.

The twins are just horrible characters. Ryoubi is an uredeemable character that doesn't grow at all through the story and just lashes at everyone who interacts with her, Ryouna has some redeeming qualities but sadly her entire character is overwhelmed by the masochist BS

And really, if you seriously believed that Burst's story was setting a real conflict between good and evil faction you misread it completely.

ShinMaruku

I liked Gessen more then Hebijou. If you find the whole Kurokage thing idiotic, well that's his story arc that his orginal motivations is nuttery. But stories are different to different people and the variety of stories is probably the best for it. Hebijou was the most flat to me.

I liked Gessen more then Hebijou. If you find the whole Kurokage thing idiotic, well that's his story arc that his orginal motivations is nuttery. But stories are different to different people and the variety of stories is probably the best for it. Hebijou was the most flat to me.

But see, that is exactly the problem.

Yumi's whole character is defined by Kurokage's nonsense, and with that she drags Gessen down every time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I can't stand the filler squads stories myself, though some of the characters are fine. I just don't care about Hebii the new generation or Goosen.

ShinMaruku

But see, that is exactly the problem.

Yumi's whole character is defined by Kurokage's nonsense, and with that she drags Gessen down every time.

I don't think so all the other girls push her in different directions and then when you find out they been trained by Hanzo too, well it's something funny.

Im not complaining or anything but that cooking picture is a little disproportionate. Shes gonna have hunch-back by the time shes thirty if she doesnt grow a hometown to even out the balance.

Alfebit

Banned
Im not complaining or anything but that cooking picture is a little disproportionate. Shes gonna have hunch-back by the time shes thirty if she doesnt grow a hometown to even out the balance.

Yeah, it makes it look like her right breast is way larger than the left one.

SerTapTap

I don't really see how Crimson Squad or Hanzo are significantly better frankly, their crews are a bit more intimate but they're still a bunch of random people thrown together because they needed to be together, they've just had more focus on establishing relationship due to a more focused game. And if Kurokage is bad Hanzo (character) is the worst. No, Hanzo is just the worst. Worst part of the entire series.

The actual plot arcs have always just been simple dramatic ninja manga stuff, while Yoma are kind of cool I don't really see the "main" stuff as being significantly better plot-wise. If anything the backstories are far more interesting than any "current day" events outside of a very few dramatic scenes, usually endings.

They will never give the girls proper asses. It may have happened for Capcom but not for these guys. I truely doubt it.

They should collaborate with Idea Factory again, the Next Forms in Neptunia VII have pretty nice asses.

Hebijo was straight up hilarious,
they just killed everyone

And at least it was a change of pace. Until the very ending it was the only part of the story where anyone did literally anything of note until the very end of crimson squad
which just ended up being a cliffhanger
. I kind of enjoy Estival Versus' focus on everyone just fucking around and enjoying themselves for most of the game because that's what they might as well have been doing 95% of the time in any of the other games.

ShinMaruku

I think most of the love to the other squads is more to their characters appealing more to certain people. I find most of them fine so I like all the arcs. I thinka large part of Geseen hate is due to people hating Yumi :p

I don't really see how Crimson Squad or Hanzo are significantly better frankly, their crews are a bit more intimate but they're still a bunch of random people thrown together because they needed to be together, they've just had more focus on establishing relationship due to a more focused game. And if Kurokage is bad Hanzo (character) is the worst. No, Hanzo is just the worst. Worst part of the entire series.

The actual plot arcs have always just been simple dramatic ninja manga stuff, while Yoma are kind of cool I don't really see the "main" stuff as being significantly better plot-wise. If anything the backstories are far more interesting than any "current day" events outside of a very few dramatic scenes, usually endings.

And that is why they are better. Senran Kagura isn't a series with a paradygm changing plot, is a simple shonen story heavily influenced by all the classic stories that came before it. What it sets the series apart is the character interactions and personal arcs, Versus took that away and was left with a cookie cutter story that you've seen thousands of times before. And with Estival effectively retconning the small development Gessen and Hebijo got, Versus is essentially pointless now.

Hanzo has always been a background element and he has never written on a way we're supposed to feel compelled by him, unlike Kurokage, whom on Gessen's arc was all about "look at the poor guy"

And while Asuka has been inspired by Hanzo's legacy, she isn't parroting his nonsense unlike Yumi with Kurokage's

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Hey guys, can we maybe keep this thread more safe for work and just post the links to any artwork instead of image-tagging them?

Dat Haruka. Lawd.

In other news I finally ordered the Yagyuu figure I've been watching for. Once her and Ikaruga are delivered I will finally have all of Hanzo.

Those cards have a pretty awesome color scheme going for them.

Most cards are pretty colorful but these 2 really stand out, especially the Homura one.

All the more reason we need an updated Art book with every card released up until now.

Also wanna say thanks for posting these whenever they come out, it's always cool to see new ones.

Alfebit

Banned
Homura looks like she's in a bit of a predicament. How will she tie up her bikini top while trying not to drop her popsicle?

Son of a-

http://www.marvelousgames.com/forumIn/topic/general-discussion/page/10/#post-2703

Hello!

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you all. Simply put, we don't actually know the reason; but there is a reason we don't know. SENRAN KAGURA Burst wasn't handled by Marvelous Europe, we did assist with certain aspects of the title, but we did not handle the submission process, nor the asset creation process. It's likely that the option wasn't selected on the MiiVerse registration sheet, but again, we aren't too sure about the specifics of the situation.

As for SENRAN KAGURA 2: Deep Crimson, we are not allowing people to upload screenshots to the 3DS MiiVerse page due to the rules set by Nintendo. A player can use AR cards and place the girls in a real-life environment, and then take a screenshot of the game/real world, this is against the rules of MiiVerse to allow uploading of these types of images, and as there is no distinction between an AR screenshot and a regular screenshot from the 3DSs point of view (as far as I know). This is the same with the Japanese and North American releases of SENRAN KAGURA 2: Deep Crimson, so hopefully this has cleared up the reasons why we couldn't allow this.

Cheers guys!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So no Miiverse pics of AR stuff? Honestly makes sense since people could abuse the privilege & take pics of stuff obviously not appropriate things & then upload them via the AR camera.

Top Bottom