• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Community Thread: Cuteness Is Justice, Ninjas Are Life

Eolz

https://twitter.com/kenichiro_taka/status/620422764709613568
https://twitter.com/kenichiro_taka/status/620423417670438912

-Ayane will cost 600 yens and comes with her own story

-New Shinobi Girl Heart stories focused on two characters, free for ten days.

The more I know of Estival the less I'm interested on it

Sounds good to me, even if I'd have preferred 500Y or a season pass (is there one?).

FInally preordered the western artbook, since I don't have the old ones wiht me atm.

I have ZERO interest on more characters and quite frankly, I'm starting to hate Gessen and Hebijo. I care for better stories and sadly, that won't happen on EV.

Oh and a correction, Ayame doesn't have a Shinobi Girl story.

I understand what you mean, but Estival is the action game with the most content in the franchise so far.
To each of his own.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
No hard cover? What the crap?

I don't think there was a hardcover version of this book released in Japan. It just has a stylish bookjacket... I know this because I imported the book from Japan.

It's possible Udon would make a limited release hardcover, but they usually reserve those for their larger licensed books. This is a straight adaptation.

I understand what you mean, but Estival is the action game with the most content in the franchise so far.
To each of his own.

Nope, that is SK2

SK2:

-Youma Den
-Extra Missions
-Co-Op
-Training Mode
-Enemy viewer and encyclopedia
-theater mode
-"epilogue" story with 11 new characters
-shoot 'em up minigame
-Boss rush

EV

-Multiplayer,
-Cosmetic DLC
-Extra characters
-extra SHGS

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
What epilogue story are you referring to? There's also only one new (playable) character in SK2. You're also leaving stuff out. SK2 has far less characters (although they've been given more unique abilities) and only has its main story mode and the dungeon/youma hunting mode. You get fifteen extra story mode levels as DLC. Five of those are the shooter levels. You get chibi characters but they have limited movesets. You get actual boss fights. You get 2P co-op in the "dungeon" mode. There's fewer types of levels and smaller stages. It feels far more repetitive than EV, although I think it's the more challenging game.

EV has a much larger cast of characters. You get a huge story mode and larger stages. There's no unique bosses but there are more enemy types and more enemies to fight at a time. There's individual stories with multiple stages for every character except granny. There's far more customization options. SK2 is pretty limited in comparison. You have online versus for up to 10 players on PS4 and 4P on Vita. There's more in-game items to find and use, like bombs and even a mech. You have alternate paths in some levels. You have those silly puru puru finishes. I love SK2 but EV is by far the better game overall and it's still getting content. There may be more coming beyond what has already been announced.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not sure how Xseed will handle it in the US, but it seems in order to play as Homura in Nitroplus Blasterz: Heroines Infinite Duel, there's a code for her (& Heart Aino from Arcana Heart) if you get a first-print copy of the game, making it sound like she could be DLC down the line.

.........also there's a limited editon that includes a "swimsuit product code", so....guessing it gives swimsuits to all the characters?

I wonder why the Versus games don't have the yomua thing yet. Perhaps the next games will tackle that...

Ironically, SV was the first episode in the franchise to use the name of 'youma' for talking about Orochi
and the origin of Miyabi's powers
. Basically, as they are the Serious Stuff© of the Kaguraverse, they tend to appear in darker storylines while the Versus games are more light-hearted.

ShinMaruku

I just think they need somebody to hold them to their scenarios because while Verus is more light hearted it deals with death far more than the others. I mean Kurokage and the dead sister.

I really think it's left to the imagination of the fans. There have few doubts with how the events were staged, but word of God about nobody wasn't actually killed was probably said to avoid antagonizing the fans.

But doesn't the Hebijo Academy kill all the other girls in their SV storyline? XD

There are mentions of people being killed in every SK games but each game have different shades of dark. For example, SK2 goes back to the theme of moral ambiguity by depicting the Hanzo girls in an 'evil' role while the Homura Gurentai girls are more free to follow what they think is right; whereas EV may introduce a set of new characters whose job is pacify the spirits of dead shinobi but the point of the game is to be a glorious, giant beach episode.

ShinMaruku

ibkZkKyhhJmC2l.gif

I'm messed up playing Vergil in DMC4 and her in SV. Lawd Help me.

Eolz

I just think they need somebody to hold them to their scenarios because while Verus is more light hearted it deals with death far more than the others. I mean Kurokage and the dead sister.

Eh,
most hebijo girls die in Burst + backstories
, and 2 is really darker. In terms of writing, Versus are definitely more light-hearted.
It's still something like Persona 3 vs 4, not Persona 2 or a SMT game.
not going off-topic there and don't want to launch any debate, just thought this was a good comparison.

So, not to drag FigureGAF into this thread, but I was just wondering, since most of us have bought a couple SK figures. Which sites do you guys normally order your figures from? I have gotten mine all from Play Asia except one I had to get on Ebay. Play Asia has a decent selection but they seem to go out of stock very fast unless you catch it on a preorder. Looking to expand to other series. Theres one figure ive been looking at for awhile now but not sure ill get it or not. Its pretty risque, but I like the theme.

Right now I have 3 Katsuragi (SK) figures and 3 Kasumi (DOA) figures.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The best shops for figures:
http://www.amiami.com
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/
http://www.hlj.com/
https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/category-bishojo-figure.html
https://www.amazon.co.jp/?tag=

Domestic sources:
Amazon.com
BBTS.com

If you want a figure, standard protocol is to pre-order. This isn't exclusive to Play-Asia. There are some that will be produced in greater quantities for the aftermarket, but there's always a very good risk it'll sell out. Figures are limited by nature. They usually only have one run. Sometimes you'll get multiple runs, but even those will sell out eventually.

I get most of my figures from Ami. Although if it's preowned you have to be patient and do some hunting. If money is no issue and you have to have the figure now, go to http://myfigurecollection.net and search for the figure. There is place called Solaris Japan that will comment if the figure is available. They are expensive but it is an option.

Biggest thing I hate about AmiAmi is theres no way to toggle in stock versus out of stock. How the hell can you see whats available when its all intermixed?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Biggest thing I hate about AmiAmi is theres no way to toggle in stock versus out of stock. How the hell can you see whats available when its all intermixed?

When you're searching for a particular figure, it literally says "Sold Out" on the search page results. I've never had an issue finding what I'm looking for.

When you're searching for a particular figure, it literally says "Sold Out" on the search page results. I've never had an issue finding what I'm looking for.

Thats fine if you know what youre looking for, but if you just want to browse it makes it a pain in the ass.

What are you looking for Hitman?

Just anything that catches my eye really.. I like the kunoichi / samurai / ninja theme. Was thinking of getting some Hyakka or Ikkitousen figures next.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Thats fine if you know what youre looking for, but if you just want to browse it makes it a pain in the ass.

Just anything that catches my eye really.. I like the kunoichi / samurai / ninja theme. Was thinking of getting some Hyakka or Ikkitousen figures next.

Most people use Myfigurecollection.net to actually browse. The majority of figures are sold out after the first few months of release, so browsing old stuff really isn't all that viable. People generally look at figurenews sites like tomopop or plastikitty, and use MFC to keep track of what's coming out soon or are up for pre-order. Or you can view Pre-owned at midnight EST for when AmiAmi actually updates (because the truly coveted figures will be snatched up within the day usuall).

The latest stuff up for pre-order is on the left side of the main page, by order of update. AmiAmi definitely isn't really recommended for older stuff unless you want to go pre-owned.

Hyakka is a great line, and a lot of their figures are done by ALTER, which is a top tier manufacturer. I have a few of them myself, so I'd highly recommend them. Ikkitousen has plenty to work with as well, though there were a lot of different manufacturers, so you want to check for quality.

What epilogue story are you referring to? There's also only one new (playable) character in SK2. You're also leaving stuff out. SK2 has far less characters (although they've been given more unique abilities) and only has its main story mode and the dungeon/youma hunting mode. You get fifteen extra story mode levels as DLC. Five of those are the shooter levels. You get chibi characters but they have limited movesets. You get actual boss fights. You get 2P co-op in the "dungeon" mode. There's fewer types of levels and smaller stages. It feels far more repetitive than EV, although I think it's the more challenging game.

EV has a much larger cast of characters. You get a huge story mode and larger stages. There's no unique bosses but there are more enemy types and more enemies to fight at a time. There's individual stories with multiple stages for every character except granny. There's far more customization options. SK2 is pretty limited in comparison. You have online versus for up to 10 players on PS4 and 4P on Vita. There's more in-game items to find and use, like bombs and even a mech. You have alternate paths in some levels. You have those silly puru puru finishes. I love SK2 but EV is by far the better game overall and it's still getting content. There may be more coming beyond what has already been announced.

Once you end EV's story and the Heart stories, you're done with the game. Multiplayer exists true, but is horribly balanced, the puru puru finishers gets old pretty fast. And how isn't EV repetitve? Every single level is

beat mooks->beat boss->repeat

The massive cast only accentuate the repetitive nature of the game.

SK2 in contrast has the youma den and the extra missions with different goals to keep things fresh, every character has a pretty complex gameplay and is diverse enough to keep the player interested.

SK2 tried different things with it's DLC while EV's just more of the same.

Anyways, I asked on Marvelous Europe forums about SK2's release date and got this answer

As mentioned, I'm afraid it is too late at this stage. The reasoning for the above is just what I was told when enquiring to why all versions have this disabled, and as per Nintendo's rules. From what I understand, the AR/Screenshot mode are one in the same, as just pressing an extra option engages the AR camera instead of a default background. Although I do know of the home screen lock feature that you are speaking of.

Indeed we are still on track for an August release date, and we will keep you updated to any possible delays or set backs if anything arises.

http://www.marvelousgames.com/forumIn/topic/general-discussion/page/10/#post-2713

Shot you a PM. Don't want to put too much figure talk in here.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Once you end EV's story and the Heart stories, you're done with the game. Multiplayer exists true, but is horribly balanced, the puru puru finishers gets old pretty fast.

Once you end SK2's story and the youma mode, you're done with the game. And there is no other multiplayer available to keep things going.

And how isn't EV repetitve? Every single level is

It's not that it isn't also repetitive (it's a beat-em-up...that's a given); I mean that SK2 has far less stages available, they are smaller, and you often engage in the same fights with the same few enemies again and again. It's very repetitive, even for the genre. EV has more variety outside of the beginning of the story mode (which has you playing on that beach level far too many times).

SK2 in contrast has the youma den and the extra missions with different goals to keep things fresh, every character has a pretty complex gameplay and is diverse enough to keep the player interested.

The youma den is just more of the same fights, on the same single stage, against the same enemies. You're right in that the characters feel more diverse and those extra abilities are nice, but the huge amount of characters and their different play styles in the Versus games is also quite welcome. You keep mentioning "extra missions" but still haven't explained what you're talking about yet. Do you mean the DLC? Because it is largely a disappointment and also more of the same outside the shooter levels.

Unfair to say this when EV isn't done with its post-game content yet. They just announced a new 4P co-op online survival mode for patch 1.11, which is up today, for example.

SK2 had three sets of DLC that added some chibi character models (highly limited in movesets), the shooter stages (cool, but very light on content), and...a boob size slider. It's not really a lot of stuff that extends the life of the game.

Have you played Estival Versus yet? It's weird to me that you are so opposed to the game. I don't see why anyone who likes Senran Kagura would not want to play it.

SerTapTap

Noticed the SK Anime's blu rays are on sale (one 66% off) on Amazon.jp...looks like it's one of those super split up things with only a few episodes per disk though? Are the bonuses in any of them worth it?

I really hate amiami's UI. All figure sites are terrible honestly.

But you can add &s_stockitem=1 to the end of your URL after searching to find only in stock, or switch the 1 to 0 to get only out of stock...annoyingly preorders are considered "out of stock" though.

Once you end EV's story and the Heart stories, you're done with the game. Multiplayer exists true, but is horribly balanced, the puru puru finishers gets old pretty fast. And how isn't EV repetitve? Every single level is

Sorry AND ?

I mean you clearly are making it simpler for the sake of the arguement.
It's how the genre of this game work. It's not about beating moobs ennemies, it's how you do it ..Each character has his moveset and his own brand of fun that comes with it. With a cast like that it's how you add variety.

If EV is repetitive, then Every SK game is repetitive.

The massive cast only accentuate the repetitive nature of the game.

Yeah no, you might want to wait for the end of the dlc release before you spout things like that. Because just as today , you are kinda wrong ( EV 1.11 patch )
EV has a freaking huge MP component ( that actually works ) , you cannot deny the amount of playtime this actually gives you ( not to mention it's getting more rules and more modes )

So, judging by his twitter account, Takaki is busy playing with his 'soft' figurines. The whole group.
... My God, I need to order Katsu, and to sell a kidney and track down Ikagura :O

I have exactly the same center of interest than you :D
I have Max Factory's DOA's Kasumi, never regretted that purchase !

Top Bottom