• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Community Thread: Cuteness Is Justice, Ninjas Are Life

Didn't you know anime boobs are the downfall of gaming - nay, all society - as we know it?!

no more valkyrie drive threads, this is the official marvelous thread
That's probably a good idea. The morality police has really been out in full force lately to remind us how vile and disgusting we are. I don't even participate in those 'discussions' (I am loath to call them that) but just reading them is exhausting.

Takaki is the man though. Gives no fucks. I really hope we see his games on PC someday.

Those wall scrolls contained no Katsu or Yozakura. 5/10

My squishy Katsu shipped today. :D

Didn't you know anime boobs are the downfall of gaming - nay, all society - as we know it?!

That's probably a good idea. The morality police has really been out in full force lately to remind us how vile and disgusting we are. I don't even participate in those 'discussions' (I am loath to call them that) but just reading them is exhausting.

Takaki is the man though. Gives no fucks. I really hope we see his games on PC someday.

One of my best friends tried to make fun of me for buying Onechanbara in front of a female store associate with a "bikini clad" comment, and I turned and looked at him and said "I make more money than you, ive probably slept with more women than you, and im more successful than you in life. I buy what I want. I play what I want."

Those wall scrolls contained no Katsu or Yozakura. 5/10

My squishy Katsu shipped today. :D

One of my best friends tried to make fun of me for buying Onechanbara in front of a female store associate with a "bikini clad" comment, and I turned and looked at him and said "I make more money than you, ive probably slept with more women than you, and im more successful than you in life. I buy what I want. I play what I want."

Then you just plowed the female clerk in front of your friend while he cried.

Like a boss!

Puruzi

Banned
tumblr_nqw03dQyAR1qhb9cmo1_500.png

I require this.

This is a requirement.

It is required by law.

Alfebit

Banned

Then you skated away on your heelies.
Just teasin' <3

An SK 2D fighting game by Acrsys tho
6Q2ilHS.png

Yes, give it to me. I need it.

Skii

Okay guys, I've played about 30 minutes of Shinovi Versus and I'm a bit confused. I'm playing as Yumi atm and I've completed her "Shinobi Girl's Heart" missions but I don't understand why I was ranking C/D for all of the missions. I thought I was doing pretty well with the combos (getting 400-500 chains). What gets you the high rankings? Not getting hit? Higher combos?

Also, what's the better transformation: Shinobi or Frantic?

Puruzi

Banned
Okay guys, I've played about 30 minutes of Shinovi Versus and I'm a bit confused. I'm playing as Yumi atm and I've completed her "Shinobi Girl's Heart" missions but I don't understand why I was ranking C/D for all of the missions. I thought I was doing pretty well with the combos (getting 400-500 chains). What gets you the high rankings? Not getting hit? Higher combos?

Do the regular stories first, and frantic is better, but it makes the game way too easy

To get A-ranks you have to finish the stages the fastest you can (usually between one to three minutes, tops) and not get hit.

Frantic is an "I win button" while Shinobi only gives stat boosts.

I just started SV as well (Hanzo) and I was only getting C/D ranks as well and thought it was weird, but apparently that's normal while you're low level. The ranking system seems a bit broken and I just decided to mostly ignore it for now. Towards the end of the Hanzo story I definitely managed to get a good number of A's though

Oh and people who said that this was better than Burst weren't lying. The improvements are pretty significant in every area.

Oh and people who said that this was better than Burst weren't lying. The improvements are pretty significant in every area.

To each their own, I found Versus way more boring and mindless than Burst.

Anyways, new interview

http://operationrainfall.com/2015/0...gura-producer-kenichiro-takaki-life-hometown/

Do you see these characters in any other style of game?

Yes, I am interested in 3rd or 1st person shooter games and I’m also interested in more a 2d fighter like Street Fighter.

Senran Kagura began in 2011, so next year will be its 5th year anniversary. How do you see these characters developing in the next 5 years?

In the 5 years since Senran began I have been fortunate enough to pump out multiple titles in the genre, but to tell you the truth I haven’t really had a chance to look back and reflect on what I have done. I’m constantly thinking what’s next, what’s next? In that sense I love hearing what people have to say about how the game has changed in the last five years and how their thinking has changed. As for the next five years, it’s all about school right now, but maybe they get to graduate and maybe I’ll be able to explain if they get to become a true ninja or not.

This opening statement made laugh

Senran Kagura: Estival Versus for the PlayStation 4 and Senran Kagura: Deep Crimson 2 for the Nintendo 3DS are two of the newest titles from Takaki-San. We made the choice to not focus heavily on these two games since we expect other sites would be asking those same question and we here at oprainfall demand to be different! We focused on Senran Kagura as a series and how Takaki-San handles Western audiences that don’t agree with his design choices, and what else he’d like to do with the Senran Kagura series in the future. We hope you enjoy!

Nearly every media outlet has asked Takaki the exact same things

Skii

Do the regular stories first, and frantic is better, but it makes the game way too easy

Does the regular story add context to the side missions? I didn't understand what was going on story-wise at all. I just kept fighting random people.

To get A-ranks you have to finish the stages the fastest you can (usually between one to three minutes, tops) and not get hit.

Frantic is an "I win button" while Shinobi only gives stat boosts.

Ah okay, thanks for the heads up. Will probably stick to Shinobi mode as I want a little bit of challenge.

I just started SV as well (Hanzo) and I was only getting C/D ranks as well and thought it was weird, but apparently that's normal while you're low level. The ranking system seems a bit broken and I just decided to mostly ignore it for now. Towards the end of the Hanzo story I definitely managed to get a good number of A's though

I heard about Burst. Is the story relevant from Burst to Shinovi Versus? I also know there's a Senran Kagura anime as well. Do I need to watch that? I really want to understand the story and the rivalry between the schools.

Puruzi

Banned
Does the regular story add context to the side missions? I didn't understand what was going on story-wise at all. I just kept fighting random people.

Ah okay, thanks for the heads up. Will probably stick to Shinobi mode as I want a little bit of challenge.

I heard about Burst. Is the story relevant from Burst to Shinovi Versus? I also know there's a Senran Kagura anime as well. Do I need to watch that? I really want to understand the story and the rivalry between the schools.

You need to play the main stories to learn about the characters first, the Heart missions assume you know the girls already.

The anime is a retelling of Burst's story.

Shinovi Versus is it's own thing, Burst and SK2 are the main story.

Yeah Burst does a good job of introducing the characters and the relationship between the Hanzo an Hebijo schools. The story itself isn't really "required", but you'll miss out on some characterization, which is where the games shine imo.

Also, Burst feature the best story and characterization of any SK games. The franchise was the best when everybody thought it was a one-off and they could go all out, no punch pulled.

The anime is deeply flawed (clumsy writing, slow start, etc), but has a lot of charm for fans of the franchise, plenty of little details - you see that the animators cared a lot for the characters; see :

Ke8N8ew.jpg

My advise : keep it for later.

Skii

You need to play the main stories to learn about the characters first, the Heart missions assume you know the girls already.

The anime is a retelling of Burst's story.

Shinovi Versus is it's own thing, Burst and SK2 are the main story.

Ah okay, thanks for the heads up. They should really lock the side missions away until you finish the main story for the school or at least give us some inkling of what they'll contain.

Yeah Burst does a good job of introducing the characters and the relationship between the Hanzo an Hebijo schools. The story itself isn't really "required", but you'll miss out on some characterization, which is where the games shine imo.

Also, Burst feature the best story and characterization of any SK games. The franchise was the best when everybody thought it was a one-off and they could go all out, no punch pulled.

The anime is deeply flawed (clumsy writing, slow start, etc), but has a lot of charm for fans of the franchise, plenty of little details - you see that the animators cared a lot for the characters; see :

My advise : keep it for later.

The problem is, Burst is going to cost me around £20 which is more than I really want to spend. Is there anyway the anime can substitute the story or will it be severely lacking?

I only bought SV initially because it was on sale and I wanted to get a light-hearted "button masher" to unwind with after work. So I'm not emotionally invested at all in the characters (yet) but I'd like to get some context wrt character interactions etc. If playing Burst is really necessary, then I guess I'll save up!

Honestly, I wouldnt suggest the OVA at all. Animation is horrible and the characters are awfully written.

Its only worth is on seeing the girls fully naked.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It suffers from the similar fate of '80s/'90s OVAs based on fighting games: a CRAPTON of characters that you feel you have to include because fanbases, but in turn, there'll little time to focus on specific characters because there's so damn many and therefore anyone barely has time to develop character & such. It basically turns into a drive-by appearance by most characters. "HEY LOOK I'M IN THIS OVA, HERE I AM, KTHXBYE!"

......but then again, where as for fighting game OVAs, you watched for the fighting/action, you most likely watch the SK OVA for the girls....& the "official" T&A.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think the only real disappointment I had was it was a bit random as to who they decided "alright, we'll show HER ass, and we'll show T&A of THIS girl, but not this girl." But again, see my previous post on the fact they were dealing with 20+ characters in a 20ish minute OVA.

Plus the new girls in EV got like, a few seconds in the shadows and that was it.

ShinMaruku

Yo, gimme dat Call of Senran: Kagura Ops.
Senran Kagura began in 2011, so next year will be its 5th year anniversary. How do you see these characters developing in the next 5 years?

In the 5 years since Senran began I have been fortunate enough to pump out multiple titles in the genre, but to tell you the truth I haven’t really had a chance to look back and reflect on what I have done. I’m constantly thinking what’s next, what’s next? In that sense I love hearing what people have to say about how the game has changed in the last five years and how their thinking has changed. As for the next five years, it’s all about school right now, but maybe they get to graduate and maybe I’ll be able to explain if they get to become a true ninja or not.
YES YES. I want to see them as Ninjas. Also some more jokes could be done as adults with them now. Since Miyabi and Imu are in their 20s might as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I will admit that at the very least, they ATTEMPT to have an actual story instead of being lazy like other franchises that're heavy in fanservice.

It's nothing special, sure, but at the very least, I remember a good amount of backstories (Hibari's eyes, the eyepatch for Yagyu, Yumi's school's "father", etc.) and they wanted to have actual character and such.

ShinMaruku

Really? The story doesn't really interest me, I prefer the characters and how silly they are.

How silly they are is part of the story. Also the story is really well done. The issue with the OVA is they are too short. If they had a 10 oav set they'd have a great point. Also this OAV links into EV so if you had followed all the stories it would make some sense.

How silly they are is part of the story. Also the story is really well done. The issue with the OVA is they are too short. If they had a 10 oav set they'd have a great point. Also this OAV links into EV so if you had followed all the stories it would make some sense.

Really?

Exactly hpw a giantess Ryouna makes sense?

Top Bottom