• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Estival Versus Import |OT| We All Worship At The Church Of Yumi

Risette

A Good Citizen
wow, my nippon-yasan order already shipped. I ordered it like 6 hours ago. I thought this site was supposed to be slow at shipping. I guess I'll order from there more often then. ordered there once before but it was on a weekend so I couldn't judge how fast they were, and after that I was reluctant to order there because of all the impressions online that said they were slow.

Theonik

Wow, what the hell? That's so weird of them
The JP store exists as intentional region-locking. It is not for the eyes of Gaijin.

wow, my nippon-yasan order already shipped. I ordered it like 6 hours ago. I thought this site was supposed to be slow at shipping. I guess I'll order from there more often then. ordered there once before but it was on a weekend so I couldn't judge how fast they were, and after that I was reluctant to order there because of all the impressions online that said they were slow.
N-Y is inconsistent. Some times you might wait a while sometimes they are fast. Their customer service is consistently horrible however.

Finally played the first hour. Some thoughts:
1) Anyone who puts unedited footage on their YouTube channel is braver than I.
2) Maybe the best looking anime game I've played. Up there with Asura's Wrath. I need a current gen successor to Asura's Wrath now.
3) I love how much more deliberate the combat feels. Very good weight to it, though it sometimes makes it feel a bit unresponsive.
4) After playing 55 hours of Bloodborne, I'm instinctively afraid to button mash because I "want to leave enough endurance after a combo to dodge."
5) Grandma jiggles. That's fantastic.
Not sarcasm.

Maid

Banned
2) Maybe the best looking anime game I've played. Up there with Asura's Wrath. I need a current gen successor to Asura's Wrath now.

Wait, when did Asura's Wrath become anime game? If we're talking about anime looking game then I would bring up Atelier Shallie there instead.

MetalDeer

Wait, when did Asura's Wrath become anime game? If we're talking about anime looking game then I would bring up Atelier Shallie there instead.

I don't know about art style, but Asura's Wrath is pretty fuckin' anime, at least story-wise.

MetalDeer

I mean, I suppose some of the expressions and stuff are pretty akin to anime as well, but I wouldn't say it looks anime, at least on the surface.

Het_Nkik

I would say Asura's Wrath looks more manga than anime. You may see that as splitting hairs, but it makes all the difference in the level of detail on characters and the coloring, as obviously you want to keep that stuff simpler for animating purposes.

Maid

Banned
...seriously? Are people so specific as to not consider Asura's Wrath's art style and story anime?

I'm sure the art style has stepped onto the border of semi-real than anime, and more so than Street Fighter. From every place I studied, when you bring up Asura's Wrath style, no one would call it anime, even if you compare it with 90s shading style.

Street Fighter is using 3 tones shading which was in the old anime style, like Hokuto no Ken. It has anime element.

I would say Asura's Wrath looks more manga than anime. You may see that as splitting hairs, but it makes all the difference in the level of detail on characters and the coloring, as obviously you want to keep that stuff simpler for animating purposes.

I kind of see that as splitting hairs, but I also won't disagree with that line of thought. Anime in many cases is attempting to be animated manga, but they definitely can co-exist as separate concepts.

I'm sure the art style has stepped onto the border of semi-real than anime, and more so than Street Fighter. From every place I studied, when you bring up Asura's Wrath style, no one would call it anime, even if you compare it with 90s shading style.

As much as my approach to this whole thing is in pretty broad terms, a specific academic approach intrigues me. I'd be interested in knowing more about your studies about this.

Maid

Banned
As much as my approach to this whole thing is in pretty broad terms, a specific academic approach intrigues me. I'd be interested in knowing more about your studies about this.

I'm not studying at any big institute or anything, just in a private class from those 2:

http://thiennh2.deviantart.com/
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/232561-Gia-Nguyen-s-environments-Updated-7-6-2012

And to be frank, I'm not sure if they are popular enough for people that has not delved deep into digital painting to know about them. The first thing when I participated in class is when they taught the distinguishes between the 3 art style (anime, semi-real and realistic) and strictly not to mistake one with another when painting. That's when I asked about various art style in anime as Hokuto no Ken, Jojo, Berserk and some video games like Asura's Wrath.

Admittedly, I can't remember specific detail as why it's not considered as anime art style aside from the obvious points as the lack of lines, or character's proportion is closer to realistic than the usual exagerate muscle like anime, or even manhua. The character's expression is the only thing that has exaggeration that borrows from anime style.

Remember that all of those are from art style point of view, not character designs. You are right that it's anime game if we're talking about story telling, character design/development and the over the top actions. I won't agree if it's about art style, though.

Remember that all of those are from art style point of view, not character designs. You are right that it's anime game if we're talking about story telling, character design/development and the over the top actions. I won't agree if it's about art style, though.

It actually is these specific things I had in mind. I wasn't taking things like environment detail and design into consideration, though I guess that may not be fair for me to do.

What was the feedback when you asked about Hokuto no Ken, Jojo, and Berserk?

Maid

Banned
It actually is these specific things I had in mind. I wasn't taking things like environment detail and design into consideration, though I guess that may not be fair for me to do.

What was the feedback when you asked about Hokuto no Ken, Jojo, and Berserk?

The use of lines to separated shading area, or they are called "Plane", actually is an anime style thing from all those 3. Most noticeable point between anime style and semi-real/real style is the former use lines to separate different parts, while the latter use different value. When you clean out all the lines, the painting with anime style will become a mess of color, while semi real one will still be able to retain its origin (I don't know the English word to describe this, so it could be wrong). Needless to say, lines won't exist when a realistic painting is completed, although many people still use it for sketching instead of using silhouette.

I do have some more questions, but I don't want to take this thread too off topic. Thanks for going into detail though. Hopefully I didn't come off as antagonistic earlier so I'm sorry if I did. My mind is still going to categorize it the same as before because I'm not deep enough into this to need a distinction, but I really do enjoy getting into detail about different perspectives.

Maid

Banned
Any idea what we are going to get in the 1.04 patch?

I do have some more questions, but I don't want to take this thread too off topic. Thanks for going into detail though. Hopefully I didn't come off as antagonistic earlier so I'm sorry if I did. My mind is still going to categorize it the same as before because I'm not deep enough into this to need a distinction, but I really do enjoy getting into detail about different perspectives.

No worry. I understand the irritation when you see people claim SFIV is non-anime game. I'm glad we got thi sorted out without going into argument.

SerTapTap

I think I figured out stripping. Supers/ninpos still do clothes damage, to both halves now. It just doesn't do a cutscene when it happens, you just see little clothes particles explode out. Not entirely sure what causes stripping otherwise, multiple chases seems to do it. I really like how well they've balanced the cinematic camera stuff and keeping the battle going. Only strips from non-super hits and transformations stop the action, and those are limited in number per fight.

I like all the new girls, they just seem like they're having fun. The hammer girl is a bit too slow for no apparent benefit though. She's better in Frenzy but her damage output doesn't seem to justify how slow she is and how finicky aiming her super moves is. Her level 2 super is a massive pain.

Only Xrd beats it for me and that's not really a fair fight. But yes, game's fantastic, love almost all the changes.

Demoskinos

Finally got to play as Jasmine last night. Holy shit. She is amazing. Just wrecked the entire Hanzo crew by herself.

ShinMaruku

Keep the look out to see if Jasmine is the alternate Saiyuri
CB6lJEtUMAA3myu.jpg

Oh Lawd.

SerTapTap

WHOS READY FOE THE HOTTEST MIX TAPE OF 2015. DJ MARAI COMIN AT CHA' WITH ONLY THE SICKEST BEATZ!

First screenshot I've seen where Kafuru doesn't look oddly flat due to relativity.

It bothers me more than it should that you can freaking SEE Mirai's dumb eye behind her eyepatch and even see her blinking all the time. All anime eyepatches are lies (yes I know why she has it and it's lame)

Finally got my 1st 2 copies today. Kinda bummed that there is not reversible cover for the LE. Gotta get a regular copy of each now lol (when on sale of course).

So the LE comes with a PSN code for a digital copy of the OVA?

SerTapTap

Finally got my 1st 2 copies today. Kinda bummed that there is not reversible cover for the LE. Gotta get a regular copy of each now lol (when on sale of course).

So the LE comes with a PSN code for a digital copy of the OVA?

Yes, PS4 one, IP blocked though. I didn't even bother

Demoskinos

God damn it EV making me all weepy at that ending. T_T

I guess this means Ryoki is a one time deal then eh? Shame because she is pretty fun to play as.

SerTapTap

Oh.. well, not very much progress towards body type variety, but progress nonetheless.

With her added I can kind of see why they did what they did. She's technically pretty big but ingame seems way, way closer to flat and the physics don't do nearly as much for her. Not really what the physics are designed for I guess. Though the clothes look WAY better on the flatter characters now, so they clearly improved a lot on that end.

What seems weird is they seem to give Ryobi about an A cup in the intro and OVA but ingame she's still like a AAA/nothing like Mirai.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hopefully in the next game, the new girls won't look like their bodies were copy/pasted . The more I played SV, the more I noticed that every girl's body pretty much looked the same, aside from obviously Mirai.

We need more in-between sizes/types.

Josephl64

With her added I can kind of see why they did what they did. She's technically pretty big but ingame seems way, way closer to flat and the physics don't do nearly as much for her. Not really what the physics are designed for I guess. Though the clothes look WAY better on the flatter characters now, so they clearly improved a lot on that end.

What seems weird is they seem to give Ryobi about an A cup in the intro and OVA but ingame she's still like a AAA/nothing like Mirai.

Ryōbi really deserves to be moved up to A cup ingame...it would add a tiny bit more variety too

SerTapTap

Oh, Murakumo without mask finally talks/animates differently in battle--it's actually very sweet and makes her seem very brave instead of this "waaaaa" bullshit. They may have finally gotten me to like the gimmick. Still love her voice with the mask

Hopefully in the next game, the new girls won't look like their bodies were copy/pasted . The more I played SV, the more I noticed that every girl's body pretty much looked the same, aside from obviously Mirai.

We need more in-between sizes/types.

I actually noticed if you look close, the F cups are a bit smaller than the H/I cups, so there is a bit of variation. Variation aside from boobs would be nice though. Better butts first of all.

Demoskinos

Oh, Murakumo without mask finally talks/animates differently in battle--it's actually very sweet and makes her seem very brave instead of this "waaaaa" bullshit. They may have finally gotten me to like the gimmick. Still love her voice with the mask

I actually noticed if you look close, the F cups are a bit smaller than the H/I cups, so there is a bit of variation. Variation aside from boobs would be nice though. Better butts first of all.

have we figured out what causes her to wear the mask or not? I started her girls heart mission and she wasn't wearing it. Granted the trophy title for it is "Off with the mask" so I assume that is what the story is about but not sure if the game is forcing that or if I triggered something....

SerTapTap

So is Shiki actually 'Merican or does she just love English because well that seems like a fairly common thing? I just got to the level N I N J A

have we figured out what causes her to wear the mask or not? I started her girls heart mission and she wasn't wearing it. Granted the trophy title for it is "Off with the mask" so I assume that is what the story is about but not sure if the game is forcing that or if I triggered something....

I dunno if you can do that (maybe it's story unlocked?) but yeah it does happen in the story (as always).

Demoskinos

Looked at the JP PSN store today. Surprised that there is no costume DLC yet. Although to their credit they might be more worried about fixing the game first.

SerTapTap

The no twitter thing is a real pain in the butt, I have a ton of screenshots and I keep having to USB transfer to tweet them. The twitch ban at least means something, even if it's bullshit, this just makes it more annoying while not preventing many users from actually tweeting if they want.

Demoskinos

The no twitter thing is a real pain in the butt, I have a ton of screenshots and I keep having to USB transfer to tweet them. The twitch ban at least means something, even if it's bullshit, this just makes it more annoying while not preventing many users from actually tweeting if they want.

There is an easy way around that. Take you screenshot and bring up the share menu where you select your screenshots to share. Highlight the one you want to upload and press "Options" next go to "preview" this will make the screenshot fullscreen. Press Triangle until all of the share menu UI disappears then press the share button to take a screenshot. It will take a screenshot of your screenshot saving it to the "other" folder. You can then share it as normal. Yes, still way more steps than needed and a pain in the ass but way easier than having to pull everything via USB.

SerTapTap

There is an easy way around that. Take you screenshot and bring up the share menu where you select your screenshots to share. Highlight the one you want to upload and press "Options" next go to "preview" this will make the screenshot fullscreen. Press Triangle until all of the share menu UI disappears then press the share button to take a screenshot. It will take a screenshot of your screenshot saving it to the "other" folder. You can then share it as normal. Yes, still way more steps than needed and a pain in the ass but way easier than having to pull everything via USB.

Huh. I wish you could auto-upload all your shots to Onedrive or something, it'd be a lot less annoying. I learned the magic of this when working on my axiom verge map, I left it in onedrive and could edit it from my desktop or Surface no problem.

Demoskinos

Huh. I wish you could auto-upload all your shots to Onedrive or something, it'd be a lot less annoying. I learned the magic of this when working on my axiom verge map, I left it in onedrive and could edit it from my desktop or Surface no problem.

Yeah. Like I can begrudgingly accept that twitch are a bunch of assholes and I can't stream this anymore but Twitter is pretty fair game for anything so having to use dumb workarounds is irritating.

I have played and enjoyed SK burst (will play SV then SK2 when it comes out). Just wondering, whenever estival gets localized and I launch it on my PS4 (when I get one), will my walls be painted white?

Demoskinos

So what's with Rhona and wanting to become various foods? Finished her heart missions and its again about her wanting to become various foods. This time she's obsessed with Udon noodles. =|

ShinMaruku

>世界の数だけお前たちも存在している。半蔵にやられて自害した世界もあれば、お前たちが蛇女を再建した世界もある。
"You also exist in a number of different worlds. If there is a world where you took your own lives after being defeated by the Hanzou girls, there is also a world where you rebuilt Hebijo Academy."
Ah the multiverse.

Top Bottom