• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus |OT| Life Returns to Vita

Corgi

Banned
You know, everyone has their own line.

For me is the dangling lingerie accessory is probably the most lewd accessory in a game sold in retail. The line between sexy and smutty.

Hype has been way higher for versus. Personally I no longer care about the 3ds games but it'd still be cool if they're localized
That's too bad, considering SK2 has a much improved battle system from versus. Versus has a lot more fanservice, but I hope Xseed does bring over 2 for those whose enjoyment goes beyond chibi censor bars and beams of light.

flohen95

If they'd localize Estival Versus but not 2, I'd be pissed. I bought SV not to support more Senran Kagura on PS platforms, but to support Senran Kagura in general.

On that note: The game arrived today! Yay! Now to play through it on my EU account. After that, I'll have to worry about setting up a NA one. We'll see how that goes.

Aren't they completely different styles of game?

Ya the 3DS games have been more of a side scrolling brawler. I doubt they won't bring over 2, Burst did well for them. I have a feeling we will get most of the SK series, especially if they brought over Bon Appetite.

Eolz

Not that much to be honest. Versus follow the same kind of combat system, but adapted it to a completely 3D environment.
SV improved on Burst, 2 improved on SV, I'm sure EV will improve on 2 as well.

pixxxelz

im sorry, the what?
:p
HNmnasf.jpg

Gonna need 2 first.
Definitely, as long as is not digital only that is

SmokyDave

Ya the 3DS games have been more of a side scrolling brawler. I doubt they won't bring over 2, Burst did well for them. I have a feeling we will get most of the SK series, especially if they brought over Bon Appetite.
I knew the first was a side-scroller, but shampoowarrior made it sound like the games were identical aside from an improved battle system in SK2 and the fanservice in VS. I can imagine why someone would much prefer to play EV over SK2 given they're totally different styles of game.

Personally I wouldn't play the 3DS games because part of the appeal for me is how glorious SV looks on Vita. I wouldn't want to take such a large step back, even if they did play the same.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Nope; all these games, with the exception of Bon Appetit, are beat-em-ups. The biggest difference between SK1/Burst and Shinovi Versus are the camera views (2.5D vs. 3D), but the core game play is the same. Senran Kagura 2's camera views depend on the levels. Some stages are more 2.5D, but others are closer to being more like 3D or with a slight overhead view. The framerate has also been massively improved and the character models are better than Shinovi Versus' (although SV still looks better due to the higher resolution)

I played Shinovi Versus before I played Burst, and that made it difficult for me since SV plays smoother (much better framerate), has more characters, and has more moves.

While Senran Kagura 2's roster is smaller (it's back to just Hanzo and the original Hebijo crew, plus Daidoji and Rin are there. There's only one new playable character- joke character Murasame), the characters' move sets and abilities have been changed up, making them feel much differently from each other compared to the previous games. The difficulty level has also been cranked up, which is welcome as the previous games are a bit too easy on normal and could stand to be a bit more challenging on hard.

You get new crazy-huge demon bosses, tag super moves, partner-switching, a challenge mode, a 'dungeon' mode with multiple rooms to clear, and DLC that not only gives you an additional 15 stages, but changes up the game a bit- the first pack gives you chibi character models, the second changes the game into a 2D horizontal shooter, and the third gives you...
the option to change chest sizes.
^_^;

The only real complaint I have about Senran Kagura 2 is that there's too few stages and some of the missions start feeling tedious when you keep fighting the same battles on the same couple of backgrounds. I guess it's worth noting that the pantsu you get are all pretty much the same, too. Kind of boring when they went all out with SV, but there's lots of outfits to make up for it.

Definitely worth your attention if you like Senran Kagura and have a 3DS.

SerTapTap

That's too bad, considering SK2 has a much improved battle system from versus. Versus has a lot more fanservice, but I hope Xseed does bring over 2 for those whose enjoyment goes beyond chibi censor bars and beams of light.

Considering Versus' battle system is like 100x better than Burst for me I seriously doubt the 2D games' ability to ever be enjoyable without a complete redo. I got more tired of Burst in 2 chapters than I have in 5 days of Versus and 3 and a half story modes down. Fighting "normal" enemies in that game is a complete mindless chore and that's almost every single level from what I played. The "mostly boss fights" thing in Versus is so much better even without the much improved battle system.

I knew the first was a side-scroller, but shampoowarrior made it sound like the games were identical aside from an improved battle system in SK2 and the fanservice in VS. I can imagine why someone would much prefer to play EV over SK2 given they're totally different styles of game.

Personally I wouldn't play the 3DS games because part of the appeal for me is how glorious SV looks on Vita. I wouldn't want to take such a large step back, even if they did play the same.

Ya I can't really see myself going back to Burst but I will still buy 2 when the localize it.

SmokyDave

I had no idea you could hold 'triangle' for a different attack until I started playing the UK version yesterday. Completed most of the JP version without ever finding that out. D'oh.

Not really. SK2 is more 2d during the levels when you're running through trash mobs and then opens up like Versus for boss battles.
Yeah, I saw the post above. I'm still not sure you characterised the differences between the two particularly well, but they're closer than I thought.

Nope; all these games, with the exception of Bon Appetit, are beat-em-ups.

*snipped for page formatting*

Definitely worth your attention if you like Senran Kagura and have a 3DS.
Man, you know how to make a game sound tempting. I have a UK 3DS though, and there's no way I'm buying a digital title (assuming it ever gets a release) without a huge discount. It's a non-starter for me at the moment, but it's on my radar now. I thought they were very different games.

Lyte Edge

Hugstable

Banned
Considering Versus' battle system is like 100x better than Burst for me I seriously doubt the 2D games' ability to ever be enjoyable without a complete redo. I got more tired of Burst in 2 chapters than I have in 5 days of Versus and 3 and a half story modes down. Fighting "normal" enemies in that game is a complete mindless chore and that's almost every single level from what I played. The "mostly boss fights" thing in Versus is so much better even without the much improved battle system.

While I've been enjoying Shinovi Versus alot, I felt like Burst was just a tighter overall experience and the story is done way better. Both games are very very similar in how they play, with the only difference being one being a more pure 3D Free Roaming Beatem up, but they still focus on comboing others into Aerial Raves. I liked not having to deal with the camera in Burst, but I'm starting to get more used to it here. I really do hope they we get Senran Kagura 2, both my 3DS and Vita need more SK and Yomi love.

Yeah, I saw the post above. I'm still not sure you characterised the differences between the two particularly well, but they're closer than I thought.

Man, you know how to make a game sound tempting. I have a UK 3DS though, and there's no way I'm buying a digital title (assuming it ever gets a release) without a huge discount. It's a non-starter for me at the moment, but it's on my radar now. I thought they were very different games.

Haha yeah they are really surprisingly similar in how they play even with the 2D/3D difference. I had just finished Burst like a month before this game came out, so I was instantly hooked once I looked up gameplay videos of Shiovi Versus cause it looked just like a more awesome better looking and free roaming version of what I had just played. Best part about Shinovi Versus is no longer having to ninja my way around in 20 fps LOL

Lyte Edge

I prefer carts too, with the 3DS not having an account system and all, but this is not a game to pass up on! It was the biggest reason for my finally ordering a Japanese 3DS. Got the physical cart for this and for Burst too, for the hell of it.

Omg I have tried to avoid to much stuff on this and HYPE I hope Xseed brings this over next year.

It's really awesome, although TBH all my hype is now on Estival Versus in March, which I think is going to kill all the previous games.

But like with the other titles, if XSeed localizes SK2, I will buy it and play it again in English. Gotta show support to companies willing to bring stuff like this over!

Lyte Edge

Well, SK2's battle system is "like 100x better" than Shinovi Versus', if you want to look at it that way. :p

They've built on these games with each new release. SK2 improves on SV and I expect Estival Versus to improve on SK2 in the same way.

Just booted up a level of SK2 to refresh my memory. 3D space just like Versus for the whole level, trash and all. I do remember there being some distinctly 2d levels too. Battle system is, again, much improved. No button mash aerial raves. Ninja arts in the air. Lock on happens automatically and does not get in the way. Fight with two characters in tandem, complete with combined Ninja Arts.

I wouldn't say it's an improvement in every area but SK2 is closer to Versus combat than Burst and ultimately I found 2 to have the best combat.

Like I said, it would be a shame if people who enjoy the game beyond fanservice miss out on SK2, whatever excuses any individual wants to trot out for why they would only play on Vita.

Hugstable

Banned
Just booted up a level of SK2 to refresh my memory. 3D space just like Versus for the whole level, trash and all. I do remember there being some distinctly 2d levels too. Battle system is, again, much improved. No button mash aerial raves. Ninja arts in the air. Lock on happens automatically and does not get in the way. Fight with two characters in tandem, complete with combined Ninja Arts.

I wouldn't say it's an improvement in every area but SK2 is closer to Versus combat than Burst and ultimately I found 2 to have the best combat.

Like I said, it would be a shame if people who enjoy the game beyond fanservice miss out on SK2, whatever excuses any individual wants to trot out for why they would only play on Vita.

I love love the combined Ninja Arts and it's one of the main reasons I'm so looking forward to SK2 is to see the different combos of arts you can make with different characters. The opening video for SK2 is great also.

crinale

Care to elaborate, other than giant sword? I haven't played the game. (close to getting it, it seems)

She does have arm cannons just like Guts does.
And I did some googling and Yaegashi did admit he indeed derived Yomi from Berserk.
(He was honestly surprised the idea wasn't turned down.)

Ohnonono

It seems they are following the JP schedule, as Rin and Daidouji were also part of the second DLC batch in Japan.

I really should make a section for DLC in the OP; I just am unsure how to link things from the Sony store (again, first OT, still learning).

YES. GIVE ME THEM.

Also this game really, take or leave the fanservice (you could replace it with serious samurai/ninja stuff and over the top injuries) is just really really great. I feel like the battles are absolutely a blast to play, its fun to kill the trash and really fun to fight the bosses. The system is super fast and snappy and even the trash has some flare thrown in that can thrown you off. Trying to get huge combos is very fun and satisfying and all I have left is Crimson Squad and I have yet to dislike playing a single character(Done all story and character missions so far.)

I cant wait to try missions on hard mode and do some (multiplayer) with bots and stuff and keep leveling up my favorites. This is a really great game that I have at this point played a TON of and have yet to hit any point where I am bored. I don't even mess with the dress up stuff at this point but I will in the future. God go fucking buy this game. If the fanservice stuff throws you off I get it but man are you missing a great game.

I love love the combined Ninja Arts and it's one of the main reasons I'm so looking forward to SK2 is to see the different combos of arts you can make with different characters. The opening video for SK2 is great also.
Yeah, I definitely took some time to watch all of them and would be lying if I said they didn't influence my pair ups. Each character has a unique combined art with a few other girls and then a generic one for the rest. I think the DLC introduces new ones--or at least I'm pretty sure the third DLC pack
(~5 bucks at release for new customization option, around three new costumes in several colors, 5 new lingerie with three colors a piece, 5 new missions with a side story)
gave AsukaxMirai one they didn't have before.

KatxIkaruga is my favorite personally but I enjoy most of the unique ones.

SerTapTap

i wish the lingerie weren't just numbered.

now i have this very suspicious excel sheet in my google docs >.>

The lingerie's sorting/lack thereof is awful. They could at least sort all the colors of the same style together instead of like 3 and 85 being the same style but different colors (numbers picked at random).

Like I said earlier, IMO they should just make each style a single menu item with a color option to simplify the UI and keep it logical.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Good god yes. The long ninpo cutscenes are one of the things I didn't like about Shinovi Versus, these look much shorter and doesn't seem like they'll disrupt battle as much as the ones in SV do.

Didn't get burst but I'll probably get this if it gets localized.

I like long ninpo cutscenes. They're dynamic and fun. You can always skip them instantly

Hikami

I like long ninpo cutscenes. They're dynamic and fun. You can always skip them instantly

I guess multiplayer spoiled me too much, being able to combo into them without being disrupted felt really nice for me.
Not a major issue though, just a small annoyance for me having to skip them every time.

SerTapTap

Thing I don't like is when they do the exact same animation in the ninpo cutscene as they're about to do in realtime

While I've been enjoying Shinovi Versus alot, I felt like Burst was just a tighter overall experience and the story is done way better. Both games are very very similar in how they play, with the only difference being one being a more pure 3D Free Roaming Beatem up, but they still focus on comboing others into Aerial Raves. I liked not having to deal with the camera in Burst, but I'm starting to get more used to it here. I really do hope they we get Senran Kagura 2, both my 3DS and Vita need more SK and Yomi love.

I'll have to try Burst again I guess, but I found the combat to be almost nothing but mashing the rapid attack button, waiting for a green flash, pressing dash then repeating it. And repeating a LOT because even trash mobs took a fair amount of time to defeat this way. I don't recall if there was the same heavy/weak attack setup with combos but every level felt the exact same and at least at the start, shinobi v shinobi fights were far too rare. Oddly I've actually found it much easier to crowd control in 3D than I did in Burst too, always felt like there was one jerk who didn't get caught up in an attack.

Corgi

Banned
yeah kinda wish there was an option to turn off the ninpo cutscenes totally.

ill keep the clothes destruction though for reasons.

The post office came as soon as I was leaving my house, I got lucky. USPS is really unreliable when it comes to delivery.

I can't wait to get home and play.

The post office came as soon as I was leaving my house, I got lucky. USPS is really unreliable when it comes to delivery.

I can't wait to get home and play.

Ah good. Hate having to wait for another delivery attempt. I got lucky recently and had just pulled up when my Mailman was just about to leave. He recognized my car got out and gave me my package, need to give him something for Christmas as he tries to take care of me.

Ah good. Hate having to wait for another delivery attempt. I got lucky recently and had just pulled up when my Mailman was just about to leave. He recognized my car got out and gave me my package, need to give him something for Christmas as he tries to take care of me.
Definitely get that guy something.

baconcow

Word is he wants Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus. When it comes and he is there to deliver it to you, say "This one's for you".

Definitely get that guy something.

Ya I plan on it. I get a monthly package from Japan with stuff so he is used to it. He even flagged me down when I passed him on the road once so he could have me sign for my stuff.

I wanna get him a six pack of beer or something but not sure. Maybe just get him a gift card :p

I'll have to try Burst again I guess, but I found the combat to be almost nothing but mashing the rapid attack button, waiting for a green flash, pressing dash then repeating it. And repeating a LOT because even trash mobs took a fair amount of time to defeat this way. I don't recall if there was the same heavy/weak attack setup with combos but every level felt the exact same and at least at the start, shinobi v shinobi fights were far too rare. Oddly I've actually found it much easier to crowd control in 3D than I did in Burst too, always felt like there was one jerk who didn't get caught up in an attack.
I wasn't a big fan of the crowds in Burst. Definitely improved in versus, though certain mobs are still annoying, and improved again in SK2.

I feel that the games have improved with each iteration. So, having played Versus, Burst might grate on you even more than before. Just wouldn't recommend passing on SK2 if it gets localized.

pariah164

Added the DLC to the OP. Will do my best to stay with it till all is released stateside. If any EU GAFfers would hook me up, I'll happily add the EU prices, as all the links/prices currently up are US.

Jawmuncher

Whilr I felt SK:B kind of faltered by the end I still enjoyed it for the most part.
Not enough to beat the character for beating both games though. The one that's on the Hanzo Rooftops. Beat the other one though.

For me the humor of SK is what I enjoy the most and worth the price of admission alone.
I love how it just doesn't care and knows exactly what it has to offer without hiding. Really refreshing when every game is scared of offending someone these days or going past the line.

SerTapTap

I wasn't a big fan of the crowds in Burst. Definitely improved in versus, though certain mobs are still annoying, and improved again in SK2.

I feel that the games have improved with each iteration. So, having played Versus, Burst might grate on you even more than before. Just wouldn't recommend passing on SK2 if it gets localized.

It's really just the turtles that are annoying now in Versus. Depending on your breach art they are extremely annoying to take out en-masse, I've resorted to just spamming supers because they're annoying.

I guess I'll need to see gameplay of what's so special in SK2. Estival is day 1, might even order an LE from japan, though I'm sorta calmed down since the figures aren't that amazing IMO, just a couple standouts per set. Wish Yozakura had a cooler pose, that'd get me to import

flohen95

I really enjoy the game so far. Puts me right back to when I first played Burst. Great stuff. Also some nice tracks on the soundtrack, although my favourite tunes so far remain some of those part of Burst's soundtrack.

I also can't help but feel that I enjoyed Burst's gameplay more, for the simplicity of it. The 3D and camera management just overwhelms me at the moment. Maybe that gets better as I go on, or it's just a problem that I have. Dunno. I do kind of like Burst's character models more as well - I can't quite put my finger on the reason for that, though.

But I don't want to sound negative here, don't get me wrong - the game is so much fun! I haven't even tinkered with the customization yet and the graphics obviously pop out a lot more, especially with the OLED's colours. It's fun to play, looks good and it was definitely worth my money. I'd even say it exceeded my expectations, which might be odd considering my comments above, but I always knew that I might prefer 2D more than 3D in this case. And, as I said, there's at least one track on the OST that I'll try to learn on guitar once I get home, and it's always a good sign for me to get that itch.

tl;dr: I might be the oddball here that ends up prefering Burst, but that doesn't even really matter since the game is just so good and fun in it's own right. Back to playing now.

Oh, and I've also set up an American account because I wanted to get that out of the way and have been playing on that one now. If anyone wants to add me, my information is on the list (I've already readded anyone who's on my EU account's friend list, so you guys don't have to worry about that.).

If I can readdress a question I had earlier: do you get anything for playing a character 100 times? What does the loading screen about being rewarded for using your favorite characters refer to?

I guess I'll need to see gameplay of what's so special in SK2. Estival is day 1, might even order an LE from japan, though I'm sorta calmed down since the figures aren't that amazing IMO, just a couple standouts per set. Wish Yozakura had a cooler pose, that'd get me to import
If you like Versus, my personal opinion is that you do yourself a disservice skipping SK2 if it comes. As someone who has played everything but Dekamori and is getting prepared to wrap up the plat tonight, my experience is that SK2 is an improvement. More, the feeling seems to be shared among other who have played the games. That said, I don't own stock in the 3DS or Xseed or anything related, so I'll shut up about SK2 from now on unless directly asked.

Top Bottom