• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

Just started listening to Review a Raw, and they start the show saying that last nights Raw contains what might be the worst segment is Raw history...

Jerry Springer segment or was there something worse? Now I kinda want to see it... fucking hulu's gonna make me watch 5 ads before it though.

Aiii

So not worth it
NXT Match on Raw, eh?

Only because it's Australia and they show NXT there.

I don't see why they don't do more to promote NXT in the US, put some recaps on Raw, Smackdown or even Main Event ffs. Have Big E wear his NXT Title while he stands around waiting for AJ to tell him to hit someone.

At least then you can generate some interest for the program while you try to sell it to a network and even get Hulu some customers as well.

Posted on 03-12-2013, 05:38 PM.

It took them 18 months, but they finally get it.

Jamie OD

There is, I had the same question and just found it.

oR7M4dA.gif

Yikes! I assume those spikes and the holes beneath are there to make the cage more stable but it's the first time I ever saw them.

strobogo

Banned
NXT Match on Raw, eh?

Posted on 03-12-2013, 05:38 PM.

It took them 18 months, but they finally get it.

We don't agree much on anything, but I have no idea why they haven't done NXT showcases once in a while instead of bringing guys up with no hype and just saying THEY'RE FROM NXT, hoping it works out.

Vylash

We don't agree much on anything, but I have no idea why they haven't done NXT showcases once in a while instead of bringing guys up with no hype and just saying THEY'RE FROM NXT, hoping it works out.

i just hope it goes better for these guys than the last guys to get an NXT showcase

Aiii

So not worth it

Yeah, I think part of it is their false idea that everyone that follows their TV show spends tons of times online discussing their product and researching everything they do. I guess it comes from their "social media awareness" bs they like to tout, as if "trending worldwide" has real significance. It's the same mistake they made when they figured their Network would get millions upon millions of subscribers based on Raw ratings and silly survey's that told them there were 60 million people in the US alone that followed WWE.

Just doesn't work that way, people watch your TV show and that's all they do, when it's over they watch something else. It's only us bottom dwellers that spend the extra time watching everything else and following the dirtsheet news and what not.

Anyways, glad they finally got around to making NXT more of a big deal, hope this is a more regular occurrence now and not just a one-time thing for Takeover 2.

strobogo

Banned
i just hope it goes better for these guys than the last guys to get an NXT showcase

Seems like the NXT Championship should have been defended on pre-shows instead of the tag/US/IC for the last 6 months. Or fuck, put it on the main show once in a while. It can only help raise awareness for the guys competing, the title, and NXT itself. It's fucking stupid that all the titles aren't defended on every show. Sometimes a title isn't on the main show or pre-show, which just makes it seem completely unimportant. Why weren't the tag titles on the actual WM show? Why were the US and IC champions in the Andre battle royal instead of defending their belts? Why was the US champion in the IC battle royal after BNB got hurt? At least half pretend you give a shit about them.

Aiii

So not worth it
Seems like the NXT Championship should have been defended on pre-shows instead of the tag/US/IC for the last 6 months. Or fuck, put it on the main show once in a while. It can only help raise awareness for the guys competing, the title, and NXT itself.

It would certainly net more subscribers for the Network than trying to make a running gag out of the Network price, that's for sure.

It would certainly net more subscribers for the Network than trying to make a running gag out of the Network price, that's for sure.
I don't think they mentioned 9.99 tonight. I'm not sure though, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. They certainly mentioned the fuck out of this Raw being the "season premier" though, which is stupid as hell. If any episode is the season premier I figure it's the Raw after WM. Or maybe a January Raw since that's leading up to Royal Rumble.

Aiii

So not worth it
Watching this old Nitro's really showed how much more enjoyable The Giant was compared to the Big Show.

The Giant just works, big monster, yells alot, kills stuff, that's it. No storyline bullshit, no funurals, no iron-clad contracts, no bs, just a big guy that dominates and destroys small guys.
Also, he morphs into a monster truck.

strobogo

Banned
Watching this old Nitro's really showed how much more enjoyable The Giant was compared to the Big Show.

The Giant just works, big monster, yells alot, kills stuff, that's it. No storyline bullshit, no funurals, no iron-clad contracts, no bs, just a big guy that dominates and destroys small guys.
Also, he morphs into a monster truck.

Oh don't worry, you'll find that even as the Giant he was booked stupidly and did shit he shouldn't have been doing. Like a missed Superfly Splash as a transition move that is forgotten 30 seconds later. Imagine if Andre had done a Superfly Splash in the Hulkamania Era. That shit would still be played in highlight packages to this day. He wouldn't have done it as a transition on a All American Wrestling show.

Which is not to say that Andre didn't do a lot of stuff like that when he was young, but still. With in one match he does a Superfly Splash and a dropkick with in about 20 seconds of each other and it's completely forgotten 10 seconds later. He also went from dominating Hulk in every physical exchange for 3 months to being easily dispatched of and getting his ass kicked by Hulk with in a month or so. Including a random slam on the floor just for fun. He shouldn't go from laying out 5 guys at a time to getting knocked senseless and running away from Hogan within a month, but he sure did.

Hasney

Used to love Giants dropkick. Yeah, maybe he should have broken it out less frequently as like a main event desperation move. I mean, I still pop for this:

iDHKFtfoiP5bn.gif

strobogo

Banned
Used to love Giants dropkick. Yeah, maybe he should have broken it out less frequently as like a main event desperation move. I mean, I still pop for this:

iDHKFtfoiP5bn.gif

For most Americans, they had no idea Andre was doing shit like that in the 70s/early 80s. Guaranteed if he did any of that under Vince's watch, it'd still be in every highlights package there is. For Giant to be doing those things and have the announcers not even give a shit 10 seconds later is stupid. You have a dude that back who is that athletic and you have past his prime Hogan beating him around the arena with a chair with ease a month after he actually starts wrestling. Show has been around for 19 years. He's been booked properly maybe 3 full years out of that entire time. Never more than 6 months in one stretch. Vince McMahon, the king of big man booking, has done as shitty of a job and more often worse of a job than WCW did with him. Dude could have legit being the next Andre and surpassed him.

Hasney

Just on the NXT match now. I like how Tyson Kidd now has FACT on his crotch.

Small Ole chants also make me happy.

EDIT: on the last replay of the red arrow, there's a girl in the front row with a completely shocked expression looking at the people around her like "Did that just happen?" Someone give her a Network subscription and tell her to watch Nitros right now.

Hasney

For most Americans, they had no idea Andre was doing shit like that in the 70s/early 80s. Guaranteed if he did any of that under Vince's watch, it'd still be in every highlights package there is. For Giant to be doing those things and have the announcers not even give a shit 10 seconds later is stupid. You have a dude that back who is that athletic and you have past his prime Hogan beating him around the arena with a chair with ease a month after he actually starts wrestling. Show has been around for 19 years. He's been booked properly maybe 3 full years out of that entire time. Never more than 6 months in one stretch. Vince McMahon, the king of big man booking, has done as shitty of a job and more often worse of a job than WCW did with him. Dude could have legit being the next Andre and surpassed him.

Oh god yeah, his entire opening run was just so mixed. Decent debut, even though he gave Austin the win with his power and it seemed like it would go well... Then they jobbed him out to Austin on a random Raw. The fuck? He should have been built up and protected for either a title match at Backlash or the PPV after, that could have drew money. If you wanted Rock involved still, triple threat and not have him pinned.

Instead, we had the job show all the way up to his title win outta nowhere, until HHH pinned him on a random Raw outta nowhere.

Anyone watching Dragon Gate? Starts in about ten minutes;

http://www.ustream.tv/dragonGate $14.99

0. K-ness, Super Shisa vs. Yosuke♡Santa Maria, Yuga Hayashi
1. Uhaa Nation, Shachihoko BOY vs. Jimmy Kagetora, "Mr. High Tension" Kotoka
2. Punch Tominaga vs. Don Fujii
3. Summer Adventure Tag League - B Block: T-Hawk, Eita vs. CIMA, Gamma
4. Open the Brave Gate Championship Match: Flamita vs. Kzy
5. BxB Hulk, Masaaki Mochizuki, Dragon Kid vs. Akira Tozawa, Masato Yoshino, Shingo Takagi
6. Jimmyz vs. MAD BLANKEY Loser Revives Survival Instant Comeback Captain's Fall Elimination Match: Jimmy Susumu, Jimmy Kanda, Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!! vs. YAMATO, Naruki Doi, Cyber Kong, Mondai Ryu
*Captains will be decided at bell time

Carnby

so what did you guys think of the Ranger Danger meeting Undertaker videos that were posted on the WrassleGAF Facebook? I think it was comedy gold.

Good first half to the Dragon Gate show, Flamita vs Kzy and CIMA/Gamma vs T-Hawk/Eita are both well worth a watch. Crazy finishing stretch to the latter, while the former was pretty good, not up there with Flamita's best, but a ton of fun regardless.

Flamita1.gif

Punch1.gif

T-Hawk.gif

The leaked Miz photos segment was a pop culture reference that the WWE didn't botch too badly for once, and was actually somewhat timely, so I'll give them that.

Zach

Arn is one of the best. He was better than Flair in the ring, arguably better at promos (although completely different styles, so that's really down to preference), could wrestle more styles with more people and didn't have a formula match he just plugged guys into. Infinitely more bad ass than Flair and I think he could carry worse opponents to better matches than Flair as well. Arn is so rad.

Arn is definitely top ten.

Adorable.

Aiii

So not worth it
Good to know that the only thing people (I guess that includes me) are excited for is on indefinite hold. I can see WWE just dropping that storyline so they can pick it up around Mania too.

NXT doesn't count until we get more NXT matches on Raw, for now I consider this a one-time deal. Crowd was understandably dead for most of it except for the final minute of Neville doing his thing and a tiny bit of Sami stuff, so I can see Vince vetoing another go.

Is anyone legit interested in the Paige and AJ storyline right now?

nervously raises a hand.

I like it. It reminds me of the episode of community where Britta thinks a girl has a crush on her, and she gets really pally with her so as not to feel homophobic, and it turns out the girl is doing the same exact thing.

Anyway, the Bella storyline is probably going to further infect it and kill it dead.

Nice counter AJ Lee chant trying to fight back against the CM Punk chants during the match too. Yeah, it was quieter, but I hope that picks up steam, because fuck the CM Punk chants whenever AJ wrestles.

I only quarter watched RAW (it was on, but I was mucking about with my Oculus DK2 and Dolphin emulation), saw most of the NXT match... which was a nice surprise interruption to your usual programing. I enjoyed the cage match opener. Missed most of the last match (sorry RAW, you can't compete with F-Zero in VR). I'm glad people love the Miz's new gimmick, because I've always liked the guy. I also love how they're using Sandow right now as well.

Only now seeing the spike moment. Y2J's cage dive was better, because he shrugged first.

Oh, and that Heyman promo lifted Cena into one of his best promos in ages. It still wasn't as good as the Heyman promo, but it nicely sets up John Cena to lose the match next week without damaging himself too much by refusing to cheat when presented an opportunity or something. Belt stays on Brock. It doesn't matter how strong Cena looks in losing so long as he does. The summerslam match is the one people will remember.

Alucard

Banned
nervously raises a hand.

I like it. It reminds me of the episode of community where Britta thinks a girl has a crush on her, and she gets really pally with her so as not to feel homophobic, and it turns out the girl is doing the same exact thing.

Anyway, the Bella storyline is probably going to further infect it and kill it dead.

Nice counter AJ Lee chant trying to fight back against the CM Punk chants during the match too. Yeah, it was quieter, but I hope that picks up steam, because fuck the CM Punk chants whenever AJ wrestles.

I only quarter watched RAW (it was on, but I was mucking about with my Oculus DK2 and Dolphin emulation), saw most of the NXT match... which was a nice surprise interruption to your usual programing. I enjoyed the cage match opener. Missed most of the last match (sorry RAW, you can't compete with F-Zero in VR). I'm glad people love the Miz's new gimmick, because I've always liked the guy. I also love how they're using Sandow right now as well.

Only now seeing the spike moment. Y2J's cage dive was better, because he shrugged first.

I also hope the AJ Lee chants pick up steam. It's up to us, friends.

Top Bottom