• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

RP912

Banned
Younger Taker was also BORING AS SHIT for years. Wrestling in character is great. Everyone should do it. When you character only allows you to do chokes and a tombstone, it is boring as fuck. Then he turned faced and got stuck with a bunch of shitty monsters for years. Dude didn't get dick to work with until Foley came in.

Why you gotta step on my rose glasses man :(. I just bought those.

Yea taker was boring as fuck. I seriously think dead man inc taker was his best work. Dude was kicking everybodies ass until bork humbled him

Why you gotta step on my rose glasses man :(. I just bought those.

Yea taker was boring as fuck. I seriously think dead man inc taker was his best work. Dude was kicking everybodies ass until bork humbled him

if we're talking "real ass taker" gimmicks then the good one is big evil

yes, there's a difference ask flair

14470%20-%20Raw%20blood%20david_flair%20undertaker%20wwf.jpg

Also, best Taker is right at the start of the attitude era vs kane tied with early before corporate ministry taker

strobogo

Banned
Sami/Rose is a fun team. Rose half turning back into Leo is pretty dope and makes him a lot more interesting in the ring. Less asshole based offense, more stomping your shit in.

Striker

Younger Taker was also BORING AS SHIT for years. Wrestling in character is great. Everyone should do it. When you character only allows you to do chokes and a tombstone, it is boring as fuck. Then he turned faced and got stuck with a bunch of shitty monsters for years. Dude didn't get dick to work with until Foley came in.
They kept Taker face all those years, kind of sucks they never really did a Bret-Taker feud.

I guess they got to assemble a bit in 1997 but it included Austin and Vader.

I'm never really sure what I consider best Taker, my favourite look is his Ministry attire but the matches in that period are weak.
Then his arguably most entertaining matches come with the more modern Wrestlemania 23 onwards Taker except that character wise he's boring as shit, same old entrance with the funeral dirge, cookie cutter promos about streak business and nothing to actually change up the character in general like he just turned back to Deadman in 2004 and that's pretty much it up until he got Borked this year. The most development he underwent was cutting his hair after year long grief at HHH being able to walk out of the ring while he couldn't.

I'm never really sure what I consider best Taker, my favourite look is his Ministry attire but the matches in that period are weak.
Then his arguably most entertaining matches come with the more modern Wrestlemania 23 onwards Taker except that character wise he's boring as shit, same old entrance with the funeral dirge, cookie cutter promos about streak business and nothing to actually change up the character in general like he just turned back to Deadman in 2004 and that's pretty much it up until he got Borked this year. The most development he underwent was cutting his hair after year long grief at HHH being able to walk out of the ring while he couldn't.

His "mind-games" phase was pretty fun. Remember when he possessed Josh Matthews and showered Mr. Kennedy in blood?

Zach

I'm more of a Mean Mark guy myself...

strobogo

Banned
Best Taker 2002-2003

Best Taker look: Corporate Ministry

I write off pretty much everything from 1991-late 1995. Those early squashes were awesome, but then he settled into choke, choke, choke, choke, choke, choke, choke, choke, clothesline, choke, choke, choke, throat thrust, choke choke choke, tombstone for the next 4 years. He got to do some more interesting shit at the start of 1996 with Bret and Diesel, then Foley came in and he got to really open up. But I don't ever want to watch a Taker match before the end of 1995. I'd much rather watch Mean Mark. 2002-2003 Taker was basically That Mean Mother Fucker Mark.

strobogo

Banned
I also have LOL that Tyson and Nattie wear Mike Tyson gear because TJ doesn't have his own merch with his name on it. Low rent as fuck.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Best Taker 2002-2003

Best Taker look: Corporate Ministry

I write off pretty much everything from 1991-late 1995. Those early squashes were awesome, but then he settled into choke, choke, choke, choke, choke, choke, choke, choke, clothesline, choke, choke, choke, throat thrust, choke choke choke, tombstone for the next 4 years. He got to do some more interesting shit at the start of 1996 with Bret and Diesel, then Foley came in and he got to really open up. But I don't ever want to watch a Taker match before the end of 1995. I'd much rather watch Mean Mark. 2002-2003 Taker was basically That Mean Mother Fucker Mark.
Yeah, whenever I think of notable Undertaker moments between the Underfaker feud and his matches with Foley, my mind draws a blank. I don't think people even remember that he once had a casket match with Goldust for the IC title.

Yeah, whenever I think of notable Undertaker moments between the Underfaker feud and his matches with Foley, my mind draws a blank. I don't think people even remember that he once had a casket match with Goldust for the IC title.

Some people vaguely know that he feuded with Yoko, also the Giant Gonzalez match from WM is shown in replays (not the ending of course)

His "mind-games" phase was pretty fun. Remember when he possessed Josh Matthews and showered Mr. Kennedy in blood?

Oh yeah, when he was freaking out Orton in numerous backstage segments on that one Smackdown episode towards the end of their rather drawn out feud, if only he did more of that.
Only vaguely recall the Kennedy one, I seem to remember the Last Ride match at least.

strobogo

Banned
Wait a minute. Now the Undertaker in the mirror is good stuff when Warrior in the mirror is still the dumbest shit? Possessing dudes and speaking through them where no one but Randy (and the audience) can hear? Come on. That shit was nonsense.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Wait a minute. Now the Undertaker in the mirror is good stuff when Warrior in the mirror is still the dumbest shit? Possessing dudes and speaking through them where no one but Randy (and the audience) can hear? Come on. That shit was nonsense.
What about looking at yourself in the mirror?

qu3eLJG.jpg

You should know by now I'm always up for a few dosages of dumb supernatural shit when it comes to Taker and Kane.
That being said horror movie Kane is either so bad it's good (Ryder) or just plain awful (Brie/Bryan)

Sephzilla

SoGood.gif

Nostalgia goggles are on a bit, but Taker should have been the one to take the belt off of Yoko I think. I'm working completely off of memory for this, but I remember people being more hyped for Taker fighting Yoko than either Luger or Bret. And it would have made more sense for Yoko, a glorified monster character, to be taken down by the alpha monster in Undertaker.

Younger Taker was a bit boring but I think that's partially the fault of the people he was put against. It's hard to have good matches when your opponents are the likes of King Kong Bundy, Giant Gonzales, random jobbers, and Yokozuna (since we're crushing nostalgia glasses here, Yoko wasn't that great either). I don't think Vince and company realized how great Taker was in the ring until he started having matches against Bret and HBK.

Pre-Attitude Era Taker worked the gimmick better though. Corporate Ministry Taker was stupid. Biker Taker was neat but felt like the Ultimate Universe version of Undertaker.

Best Undertaker all around is probably Return of the Deadman Taker, because he was an amalgamation of everything that was good about the previous versions of the gimmick.

Except Undertaker was pretty much always a supernatural character aside from Biker Taker. Ultimate Warrior never did supernatural shit like that, he was more or less Hogan in face paint.

zychi

Banned
WWE 2K15 comes out in a month and a half, and we've gotten nothing, NOTHING, but a few entrances, an incomplete(?) roster, and a couple of leaked gameplay videos. Keyword being 'leaked', so *officially*, we've gotten nothing but the entrances and the roster.

It's gonna suck even harder than the previous ones, isn't it?

yep, and the "new entrances" are just new graphics. same entrances move for move. typical 2k sports game.

Sephzilla

WWE 2K15 comes out in a month and a half, and we've gotten nothing, NOTHING, but a few entrances, an incomplete(?) roster, and a couple of leaked gameplay videos. Keyword being 'leaked', so *officially*, we've gotten nothing but the entrances and the roster.

It's gonna suck even harder than the previous ones, isn't it?

2K historically is pretty tight with new stuff until right before the game comes out. But yeah, even by 2K standards we've seen fuck all of WWE 2k15 so I'm legit getting worried.

I'm kind of wondering if that's a topic thats thread-worthy on gaming side. But gaming side is a scary place.

Good stuff, guys! I haven't done a test in a while so I was curious. TypeRacer is fun, but I don't like competing with typing tests and such. People get mad.

41 wpm, I'm out of practice and never learned speed typing :(

That's not too bad, truth be told. I type as fast as I do because I've used computers so much. In 6th grade I basically aced the keyboarding class while ignoring everything the teacher said. It is what it is.

Also, your handwriting is probably better than mine. Mine looks like a 2nd grader using the wrong hand

Striker

Best Undertaker all around is probably Return of the Deadman Taker, because he was an amalgamation of everything that was good about the previous versions of the gimmick.
Reminds me: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5f9np_eddie-guerrero-booker-t-undertaker_sport. Eddie was so great. The 4-way match with Eddie, Booker T, Undertaker, and JBL was also real fun to watch.

'Taker started getting more interesting in 1996. Mankind entering the fold, along with Vader, was the best thing that ever happened to him. But even so, you had Bret there in the main event for years, but since both were babyfaces, they never paired them up for a proper feud.

jmdajr

If he was on the current roster back in the day. Would Vince have suspended Steve Austin for smacking Debra around?

edit: or was he on the roster????

Austin filed for divorce from Marshall on July 22, 2002 and the divorce was finalized on February 5, 2003.[74] On June 29, 2007, Marshall told Fox News that Austin beat her three times.[75] She also stated that WWE put a gag order on her so she would not reveal that Stone Cold hit her, as it would cost the company millions of dollars.[76] The WWE did not respond to her allegations.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If he was on the current roster back in the day. Would Vince have suspended Steve Austin for smacking Debra around?

Austin filed for divorce from Marshall on July 22, 2002 and the divorce was finalized on February 5, 2003.[74] On June 29, 2007, Marshall told Fox News that Austin beat her three times.[75] She also stated that WWE put a gag order on her so she would not reveal that Stone Cold hit her, as it would cost the company millions of dollars.[76] The WWE did not respond to her allegations.

If we saw the video

Hasney

Probably have that Vince laugh that you keep hearing people talk about "Heh heh heh. Well pal, sometimes you gotta slap em about". I just imagine Vince being OK with it for some reason.

Top Bottom