• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

Alucard

Banned
Just finished watching Impact. Really good episode tonight. That swanton off the top and through Eddie on the table looked really damn good.

Another week, another entertaining 2 hours of TNA.

Keep it up.

strobogo

Banned
Fair enough on Mojo, I must have been focused too much on Bull who even makes Chris Hero look like he has an acceptable physique. As for Enzo and Sly I don't think either of them have really been given much time in the ring and in all of the matches I can remember they've just been squashed. Maybe they'll be able to put on something decent? Though I expect shenanigans to make up it if the match ends up being bad.

I expect Bull/Mojo to be really short. I expect Sly/Enzo to be full of shenanigans and also pretty short. Enzo just isn't a wrestler. He's a mouth piece. Maybe he hasn't had enough time in the ring since he's been injured for a while, but he wasn't all that good before. He's an excellent manager/shit talker type, though. Him talking up Cass on Raw/Smackdown would be money. And once in a while, he's in a tag match or something. Just like Heenan was for all of the 70s and most of the 80s. He should be a full time manager. Sly has been around for a year and a half and hasn't shown anything at all in the ring or talking. I have no idea why he's employed.

Showaddy

The show's following the same pattern as the last two, 3 main matches with a couple of cool downs in between. Plus the KENTA unveiling and a possible Devitt/Steen reveal as well. Mojo/Bull should hopefully be super quick.

I legit hope that TNA is able to continue on because they feel like a true alternative to the WWE right now. They've been good for 4 months now.

Well, the chances of them getting a new TV deal look good. It just won't be Spike. Per the Observer this week:

It is pretty much a lock, while nobody is saying it publicly, that TNA and Spike will part ways when this deal is up at the end of the year. As noted before, Spike was trying to be a good partner for TNA and give them until the end of the year to negotiate a new deal. While the public word is still both sides are in negotiations, the negotiations with Spike over a new deal ended several days before the TMZ story broke. While the Velocity channel has come up publicly, as has WGN America in some circles as far as a possible future destination, TNA is in talks with at least two others channels. There are at least four stations right now in play, and at least two of them would be more significant than either WGN or Velocity, and one is stronger than Spike but doesn’t have the matching demographics of Spike. The report we got is the WGN America deal, if made, could include pre-emptions. The question is how much they can get when it comes to rights fees and until the deal is complete, they aren’t making any new deals, or at least making very few, and it looks like they aren’t doing much in the way of house shows, so those on a per-show deal are going to be earning a lot less at least until the end of the year. And there is, in TV, a big difference between talking and having meetings and inking a contract and right now, everything is up in the air regarding the future.
Will it be the same TNA? Depends on if someone wants to pay as much as Spike was.

strobogo

Banned
Fuck it. Nitro and Raws both had preemptions. Nitro got fucked by the NBA play offs every year. Raw got fucked by dog shows. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for Impact. Nitro and Raw were sidelined at their PEAKS for basketball and dogs. So the Cubs can ruin a few Impacts.

Well really, no one wants to read at all. Yeezus has never clicked a link that you or I have put up.

ivCG3iLJ3pAHy.gif

Who's Yeezus?
theszgfykwsls.gif

Alucard

Banned
Stro, nice Nitro recap. Sweet DDP leap frog gif, and good comedy with the Benjamin Button reference. At some point, I'd like to go back and really get a sense of Hogan's role and actions.

strobogo

Banned

Friend, that wasn't an attack on you. That was stating the facts. Legitshook.com and Yay Wrestling are not money makers. They are vanity projects.

Stro, nice Nitro recap. Sweet DDP leap frog gif, and good comedy with the Benjamin Button reference. At some point, I'd like to go back and really get a sense of Hogan's role and actions.

Here's the sense: Fans were rejecting him and his way of responding was to be even more dominant and beat the JCP/WCW faithfuls in JCP/WCW towns. Even if it meant making Sting and Macho look like shit. His idea of adding edge was the Darkside shit, which was cornier than Hulkamania in 1995. The one week he actually showed an edge (beating Giant, ref, Dillinger with a chair), he got face pops. Instead of doing proto-Real Ass Terry Bollea, he went back to full force Hulkamania without any of the selling he did in the 80s.

Friend, that wasn't an attack on you. That was stating the facts. Legitshook.com and Yay Wrestling are not money makers. They are vanity projects.

You didn't have to name names like that kiddo.

That NXT card looks kinda shitty outside of the main event...just like the show since the last special event.

RBH

From the latest issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter:

Most WWE developmental contracts are in the $24,000 to $25,000 per year range, with two or three year deals. Obviously if you have a name, or they think you are a great prospect, the number can be completely different, but most legit indie stars or overseas stars are taking a cut for the opportunity, but the ones the company really wants would not fall into that category. There are indie guys without being former TNA or WWE names who get some Japan and U.K. and can top $60,000 per year, and that’s good name indie guys, not great name who are earning more.

strobogo

Banned
You didn't have to name names like that kiddo.

That NXT card looks kinda shitty outside of the main event...just like the show since the last special event.

I'll name names every day. I ain't scared. It's cool. I don't read other things on LS. I just do it to make me feel like I'm not completely wasting my time watching a bunch of stupid ass shit.

Alucard

Banned

Here's the sense: Fans were rejecting him and his way of responding was to be even more dominant and beat the JCP/WCW faithfuls in JCP/WCW towns. Even if it meant making Sting and Macho look like shit. His idea of adding edge was the Darkside shit, which was cornier than Hulkamania in 1995. The one week he actually showed an edge (beating Giant, ref, Dillinger with a chair), he got face pops. Instead of doing proto-Real Ass Terry Bollea, he went back to full force Hulkamania without any of the selling he did in the 80s.

Is there any way at all to make money doing wrestling blogs? Probably not unless you're part of pwtorch, f4w, or maybe the bleacher report.

Wrestling Yay! is totally a weekly vanity project, but I actually want to make it fun and informative to read, as well as hope that it encourages discussion. Same with my ROH reviews.

I'm gonna make about 25 bucks for 12 months of writing. Meh.

strobogo

Banned
Is there any way at all to make money doing wrestling blogs? Probably not unless you're part of pwtorch, f4w, or maybe the bleacher report.

Wrestling Yay! is totally a weekly vanity project, but I actually want to make it fun and informative to read, as well as hope that it encourages discussion. Same with my ROH reviews.

I'm gonna make about 25 bucks for 12 months of writing. Meh.

I don't think so. Sunny can't even get ads for Legit Shook. The only people getting paid are the true carnies like Meltzers, or the guys who worked for one of the big two like Mark Madden or Russo.

Alucard

Banned
I don't think so. Sunny can't even get ads for Legit Shook. The only people getting paid are the true carnies like Meltzers, or the guys who worked for one of the big two like Mark Madden or Russo.

It's a shame. Pretty sure someone like Bruce Blitz is doing okay too, but that's because people like dudes slamming Cena at every turn.

Thing is, a lot of wrestling sites and youtube shows have shitty visuals and production. I feel like it wouldn't be too hard to put together a weekly youtube show that's popular if you have something interesting to say but actually have some good production. I mean, you look at Raw reviews by guys named CMPulse getting 10,000± views and you wonder how hard it would be to top that if you had the time and gave a shit.

Alucard

Banned
Well, the chances of them getting a new TV deal look good. It just won't be Spike. Per the Observer this week:

Will it be the same TNA? Depends on if someone wants to pay as much as Spike was.

I just hope it's a channel I can get in Canada, and more specifically in Quebec.

I have a tab open in my browser that's a YouTube video of the Resident Evil 2 save room music on an hour loop. I leave it playing in the background while I web browse. I feel myself inching closer to understanding the true psyche of that weirdo, Dragonzord.

jred2k

I have a tab open in my browser that's a YouTube video of the Resident Evil 2 save room music on an hour loop. I leave it playing in the background while I web browse. I feel myself inching closer to understanding the true psyche of that weirdo, Dragonzord.
Who?

zychi

Banned
Wwe network doing an unofficial tribute to Jericho lately. What happened on Raw? Did he announce a retirement or something?

Also, renee young looking damn good in betweern episodes. Tittymaster dean is one lucky man

strobogo

Banned
I really hate how often NXT commentators say someone deserves the title. They need a Jesse Ventura to stop them and say if someone can't win it, then they don't deserve it. Sami doesn't deserve the title just because he's worked hard. Dude has had his chances and hasn't won, which means he doesn't deserve it. Someone deserves a shot at the title, maybe. They don't deserve the title unless they can win it.

I really hate how often NXT commentators say someone deserves the title. They need a Jesse Ventura to stop them and say if someone can't win it, then they don't deserve it. Sami doesn't deserve the title just because he's worked hard. Dude has had his chances and hasn't won, which means he doesn't deserve it. Someone deserves a shot at the title, maybe. They don't deserve the title unless they can win it.

I was thinking the same. Maybe they're just shooting on the decisions of upper management

I haven't checked on the Network yet but do they have that WCW show/ppv that goes long and gets cut off by the PPV provider. Has anybody seen it? what happens on that show on the Network?

Recall

I don't think RAW has been at all any better than Impact, both are flawed yet do have moments of enjoyability. They feel totally interchangeable at the moment.

BHZ Mayor

Not only are Nitro episodes mislabeled by number, but they're also wrong by date in 1996. How hard is it to put the right date down? Nitro was on 1/1/96, not 12/31/95. And the next week is 1/7/95 when the show happened on 1/8/95, so I'd imagine the rest of the year is like that as well. The first episode is labeled as episode 79 so I shouldn't be that surprised.

I think a lot of stuff on the Network is one day off for some reason. I noticed it with the PPVs as well.

spirity

Not having followed wrestling for some time now I just stumbled across the Bella twins/Jerry Springer spot sketch. Man, this was appalling. Rolling around like fucking lemons and not a hint of any mike skills at all. I have to see their promos now

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Not having followed wrestling for some time now I just stumbled across the Bella twins/Jerry Springer spot sketch. Man, this was appalling. Rolling around like fucking lemons and not a hint of any mike skills at all. I have to see their promos now
"I'M THE VICTIM. BRIE HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE BAD ONE! I WISH YOU DIED IN THE WOMB!"

There. I gave you all you need to know regarding the promos.

Top Bottom