• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

Ithil

IT'S FRIDAY!!!!!!

thespringfieldfiles15_thumb.png

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The WWE Network might give you PPVs for only 9.99 a month but TNA and Spike give you (most) PPVs for free every month.

#TNAtion
#TNANOSURRENDER2014

strobogo

Banned
I don't think anyone else is getting the CM Punk treatment with names. He had to fight to keep it and now WWE sees it as bite in the ass since he left and he owns it. Out of all three guys I'd love for Prince Devitt to be able to keep his name but I just don't see it happening.

I don't know when the "Heavy" scripting came into play on RAW/Smackdown but watching NXT tonight felt like watching 1997-2006? shows. The stories are the main focus and are actually interesting like you said the whole talk of the friendship of Zayn and Neville was a key factor and made you feel a way when he pulled that reff out like what happened to the respect level he had with Zayn? You're gonna pull a move like that after everything? As a viewer you lose respect for him and gain more for Zayn and it just makes great progression for both characters moving forward. Same for Bailey and Flair. Former friends who had a hell of a match and even in the end she respected Bailey to show she still has that respect for her as a former friend but enough to maintain her heel persona. This show was great and whoever the head writer is does a great job but honestly I feel like HHH just lets them take most control of there stories and have much input on to how things go and turn out.

The first time in weeks I was excited for WWE. Raw has just been abysmal and haven't watched in two weeks. Just catching the best parts you guys telling me about.

Takeover 2 was more about story than great matches for sure. Which is fine. Sometimes a good story is better than a great match. The most recent example being Bork/Cena at Summerslam. I think Bayley/Charlotte and the 4 way were better stories than good matches, even though they were both good matches. NXT in general does a better job at both than the main shows and has done so since the full NXT reboot at Full Sail started. They usually get more stories progressed in an hour than Raw does in three, which is ridiculous. But then you go back and watch the one hour Raws/Nitros, and they also got way more shit progressed than 2 and 3 hour shows. One hour is the sweet spot for a TV wrestling show.

Long enough to get stuff across, but short enough to where you can't slack off and meander, so you're forced to keep it focused. Bumping Raw/Nitro to 2 hours was a curse in a lot of ways. Instead of getting 3-4 2 minute promos during the show, you'd get a 20 minute promo. And that shit never went away.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+
Halloween Havoc '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXI - C+
Survivor Series '92 - C-
Starrcade '92 - B-

Clash of the Champions XXII - B
Royal Rumble '93 - C
SuperBrawl III - B-
WrestleMania IX - C-
Slamboree '93 - D+
King of the Ring '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXIII - C+
Beach Blast '93 - B-
Clash of the Champions XXIV - C+
SummerSlam '93 - D
Fall Brawl '93 - C-
Halloween Havoc '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXV - C-
BattleBowl - D
Survivor Series '93 - F
Starrcade '93 - C

Royal Rumble '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVI - B-
SuperBrawl IV - B-
WrestleMania X - B-
Spring Stampede '94 - B
Slamboree '94 - C
King of the Ring '94 - D
Clash of the Champions XXVII - C
Bash at the Beach '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVIII - C+
SummerSlam '94 - C-
Fall Brawl '94 - C-
Halloween Havoc '94 - D+
Clash of the Champions XXIX - D
Survivor Series '94 - F
Starrcade '94 - D

Royal Rumble '95 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXX - D+
SuperBrawl V - D+
Uncensored '95 - F
WrestleMania XI - D+
In Your House I - C-

Gotta love the shorter runtime.

¡HarlequinPanic!;129663731 said:
There was a ska band called The Arrogant Sons Of Bitches that a girl I had dated long term was really into. They were playing their last show in Manhattan at The Knitting Factory (its since moved to Brooklyn) and I remember them fielding questions on their myspace about the show.

One of the statements was like "for those asking if we'll come to your town and play, NO [in all caps], there are plenty of local ska acts you can check out there" and that just blew my mind that this band would be on record saying that they were completely interchangeable with any other local act in a town.

Because of that ska has always come off to me as the least ambitious and laziest of all music, I do like the goldfinger guy's voice though.

Its also a band geek's genre and no one likes band geeks.

Show was the beginning of the end of our relationship, bee tee dubs.

Hey, don't talk shit about ASoB. Jeff Rosenstock is a fucking dood.

And getting people to support local bands is a bad thing now? Lawl.

Also Zayn's theme isn't ska I dunno why everyone is saying it is

Exis

You all are killing me with the anti ska talk, while there is ska that is stereotypical such as Mustard Plug there is stuff like Sonic Boom Six that is ska that evolved past the 90's.

strobogo

Banned
I'm thinking about giving myself the Larry David today. Maybe rock it for a day or two and then shave the rest off. I'm getting quite distressed at how much hair is coming out per day. My hair has no majesty left. In a year, it's going to look bad. All the majesty is on the sides and back and I want to get to that point instead of the half way point.

¡HarlequinPanic!;129663731 said:
There was a ska band called The Arrogant Sons Of Bitches that a girl I had dated long term was really into. They were playing their last show in Manhattan at The Knitting Factory (its since moved to Brooklyn) and I remember them fielding questions on their myspace about the show.

One of the statements was like "for those asking if we'll come to your town and play, NO [in all caps], there are plenty of local ska acts you can check out there" and that just blew my mind that this band would be on record saying that they were completely interchangeable with any other local act in a town.

Because of that ska has always come off to me as the least ambitious and laziest of all music, I do like the goldfinger guy's voice though.

Its also a band geek's genre and no one likes band geeks.

Show was the beginning of the end of our relationship, bee tee dubs.
Dawg, I think the whole ska/punk culture bit went over your head. It's not saying ska is interchangeable. The band was basically saying "watch Ska NXT for the future" by supporting local bands and shows.

Related, Zayn's ska intro rules. You can't mistake him, and it fits.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You all are killing me with the anti ska talk, while there is ska that is stereotypical such as Mustard Plug there is stuff like Sonic Boom Six that is ska that evolved past the 90's.

Did they stop using horns? Because that's my second biggest issue with ska.

Breeze is a dude I've been watching since 08 or so as he came from my local Indy and I think that the Fatal Fourway match was the first time that I've been convinced that the dude had it. I hope that was a star making moment for him as he could definitely hang with everyone else in that match.

Sid

Hideo Itami is a stupid name,he's KENTA.

Breeze is a dude I've been watching since 08 or so as he came from my local Indy and I think that the Fatal Fourway match was the first time that I've been convinced that the dude had it. I hope that was a star making moment for him as he could definitely hang with everyone else in that match.
I thought he was at his best against Zayn at Takeover 1.

Browny

Banned
Dirtshit news:

- For a few weeks now, Vince McMahon has reportedly been drilling WWE creative on how they need to prove to John Cena's fans that he's still "in the fight" and not a lost cause due to the beating he took from Brock Lesnar at SummerSlam.

When Cena returned to RAW and dominated The Wyatt Family a few weeks back, we noted that Vince was responsible for Cena being booked so strong. Several people backstage reportedly voiced their opinion that Cena should not have been booked so dominant but Vince wouldn't change his mind.

Yeah, it's dirtshit news. But - oh why am I not surprised.

kiguel182

Just want to say that NXT Takeover was awesome. I doubt Night Of Champions will be this good.

With one or two exceptions I was into the matches, the wrestlers and the stories. Great wrestling product right here. Doesn't talk down to the audience and it really shows.

The ending to that four way match was so good. Great twist and I'm interested to see where this is going.

Worst part of it was Kenta's new name. Kenta is such a better name than Hideo Itami.

Sid

Just want to say that NXT Takeover was awesome. I doubt Night Of Champions will be this good.

With one or two exceptions I was into the matches, the wrestlers and the stories. Great wrestling product right here. Doesn't talk down to the audience and it really shows.

The ending to that four way match was so good. Great twist and I'm interested to see where this is going.

Worst part of it was Kenta's new name. Kenta is such a better name than Hideo Itami.
While the name change wasn't great his debut was awesome,he took out the most dominant team in NXT on his first night.

Still glowing over Takeover. That 3 month gap really makes it special. Someone in our IRC chat room mentioned last night that it makes the main roster bust their ass so they're not shown up, so it's good shit all around.

Agreed. That NXT match on this week's Raw was my favorite match of the night, so I'm sure there's increasing pressure on the main guys these days.

jmdajr

Vince doesn't realize people will watch Night of Champions to see Cena get whooped all over again.

In his mind folks won't tune in for weak Cena.

Wrestling fans will tune in. Even now we will tune in, odd booking and all.

Sephzilla

Why is Vince so insistent on making Cena look ungodly strong? I don't remember Austin or Rock ever getting this level of booking. Was Vince this bad with Hogan?
I doubt it since he let Hogan leave the company

jred2k

Vince doesn't realize people will watch Night of Champions to see Cena get whopped all over again.

In his mind people won't tune in for weak Cena.

People will tune in. Even now we will tune in, odd booking and all.

This is what I want to see.

ba562e0c_f5.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Third day in a row that I'm grinding in Diablo 3 and playing Sami Zayn's theme on repeat, thanks WrassleGAF!

zychi

Banned
is there anywhere for me to watch raw from this week? went out last night, and everyone was telling me i missed a good raw this week? or were they all lying?

Top Bottom