• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

Gonzalez

Banned
Hmm...what's your opinion of Lionheart then?

The stuff with his family drags the film down, but the fight set pieces are fantastic. Ring of cars match, empty pool match, squash court match... Jesus this movie had to have inspired SF II in some way. I know it damn well inspired WWE when they had their Latino Street Fight years later.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
tumblr_nc0szuboWR1sg99p0o1_1280.jpg

whatamark.jpeg

jred2k

hhahahahahahahahahahahah.

oh my god. they still hire just about anyone the WWE lets go.

You really need to read that Grantland article that has been posted in here today. Dixie is a legit crazy person. She is so far out of her element in running a wrestling promotion. I am completely baffled that TNA has lasted this long. Her dad must really love her.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you're even thinking about the channel to our (lol)competition fans, Do not! Because we understand that George Murdoch, who wrestled here one time as Brodus Clay is gonna wrestle for their (lol) world title. Uch, that's gonna put some butts in seats.

Alucard

Banned
With a move like this, they have to be pretty confident that they're going to continue on in some way past the end of the year. I just wonder how and if they know just how much of a paycut they'll have to take from advertisers.

I do feel bad for TNA, though. If they just keep doing what they've been doing this summer, I'll be a fan for a long time...unless they get put on a network that I can't get in Quebec.

Pay per day deals. It means nothing. It literally costs them nothing more than whatever appearance fee big time superstar Brodus Clay is collecting.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Say whatever you want about Vince Russo, but you have to admit. He had enough style sense to realize how cool it would be to have La Parka in a suit and shades, looking dope at all times in the corner of his office.
image2wluqn.jpg

That's style, ladies and gentlemen. If I could have one thing from WCW, it would be my own La Parka fixture.

Also, Jeff Jarrett always looks so out of place in the NWO. He looks like the little dorky sidekick who guilted them into letting him in whenever he's next to Nash and Hall. Like, he's Bagwell and Vincent without intentionally being Bagwell and Vincent. I actually think that's more insulting than Bagwell. Double J is above Vincent but below Bagwell and Konnan on the NWO hierarchy.

You really need to read that Grantland article that has been posted in here today. Dixie is a legit crazy person. She is so far out of her element in running a wrestling promotion. I am completely baffled that TNA has lasted this long. Her dad must really love her.
She knows Frank Wycheck though.

I read the description for the Kevin Nash podcast and... none of the topics discussed interested me all that much so I didn't bother. And I like Stone Cold and Kevin Nash.

Alucard

Banned
I read the description for the Kevin Nash podcast and... none of the topics discussed interested me all that much so I didn't bother. And I like Stone Cold and Kevin Nash.

I have a blackberry so I can't read full descriptions. It's dumb.

But yeah, not feeling a Nash sitdown. I'd rather listen to Jericho talk to the big foot guy again.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I still noticed plenty of factually wrong things right off the bat. Basically Grantland's wrestling articles are junk unless they're interviews.

The bulk of it is snippets of two interviews, one with J-E-DOUBLE F J-A-DOUBLE R-E-DOUBLE TT and Dixie Carter.

There's a couple of facts off here but nothing too bad.

I still noticed plenty of factually wrong things right off the bat. Basically Grantland's wrestling articles are junk unless they're interviews.
I have no clue about their quality, I usually bypass their wrestling stuff. I don't think I've ever really read a masked man column.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
MAKESHIFT NWO TIER LIST. Including all affiliated factions except LWO because they weren't ever affiliated, and Eddie, The Juicy Juicy Juicy Juicy Juice, and La Parka would always be tops. And this is based off my most recent WCW watchings

Tier 1.
Hollywood Hulk Hogan

Tier 2.
Scott Steiner
Scott Hall
Kevin Nash(Mostly for their earlier stuff. I hated Nash after like the 2nd year of NWO)
Masahiro Chono

Tier 3.
Hiroyoshi Tenzan. I love me some old school Tenzan.
Scott "Flash" Norton. Good bruiser look. Much more believeable in a bodyguard role than Vincent. Good matches in WCW and even better ones in NWO Japan.
The Great Muta(His stuff with NWO was boring, but I imagine itd be awesome if I understood the promos leading up to his joining since it was just like the Sting angle but with someone crazy)
Dennis Rodman. He was way better than I expected. Fit in perfectly. Short time, but it was a perfect idea for the media, and he had potential to do more if he wanted to.
Buff Bagwell. Fuck it. Shitty wrestler, but he made sure he stood out. I give him all the credit in the world for that. And he was the perfect little pissant stooge.

Tier 4.
Syxx. Didn't do much, but I liked his feud with Flair. And it's the least shitty X-Pac has ever looked. Short lived. Coulda done more.
Randy Savage. Never did anything for me in NWO, sorry to say. Gets points for being Randy Savage though.
Ted Dibiase. Didn't do much and he brought Vincent along which really weighs him down, but I did like the angle of him being an investor, and he scores points for having sweet umbrella holding technique. And also because he's Ted Dibiase.
Curt Hennig. Didn't do much other than have matches. And a lot of his matches had nothing to do with the NWO. I got the opinion that Nash and Hall just liked him, so they wanted him on their team.
Rick Rude. Same as Curt.
Eric Bischoff. Important, but I never cared for him. He should have been on their side, but he needed far less tv time. Which is funny because I loved his heel work in WWE.
Stevie Ray. I don't remember doing him much in NWO, but I liked watching him feud with Vincent because he wanted to beat the fuck out of him. That gets him much points.

Tier 5
Brian Adams. 'Big guy' Whatever. I liked Kronik more than I care to admit.
The Disciple. Shutup Brutus. Hulk had too many bodyguards but whatever. Mostly fine until he got kidnapped by Warrior. That was dumb. Short lived but whatever. Not offensive to my eyes just bland. Bonus points for the makeover though. Didn't know it was Brutus for YEARS.
Sting. Sorry, I love Sting but him joining NWO was stupider than any other angle in WCW bar Arquette winning the title. Why did DDP get to stay pure but not Sting? Not to mention Wolfpac is trash.
Bret Hart. Didn't do anything, but he had a few good matches in WCW so that was ok. Those were probably before NWO. ALSO THE DUDE STILL WORE PINK AND BLACK. WHAT THE FUCK, SHOW SOME LOYALTY TO YOUR STABLE COLORS

Tier 6
Jeff Jarrett. Broke a thousand guitars. Never drew a dime.
Konnan
Lex Luger. He didn't do anything! But 99% Body fat heel Luger came after that. And tat was ok.
The Giant. Already had a big guy. Never fit in. Always looked stupid. Never entertaining in the ring because he had no clue how to pace a match.
Disco Inferno. Disco, I love you sort of. Kinda. But he looked so out of place.BUT He was in NWO when he made fun of Konnan so I feel like I should give him more here.

Tier 7
Vincent. Fuck you Vincent.
Horace Hogan. Do I have to explain this one?

Tier ??? I don't remember you doing anything
Bubba Rogers/Big Bossman. I remember like two matches.
IRS. Fucking useless. Like always.
Louie Spicolli? I don't remember this.
Nick Patrick. I remember him, but I just didn't care at all. He was the Souled Out/bought out ref.
Dusty Rhodes. Dumb but short lived.
Fake Sting. Super J my ass.
Miss Elizabeth. She didn't do anything but look confused about why she was there.

For all intents and purposes, I just put Buff Bagwell and Dennis Rodman above Rick Rude, Curt Henning and the Macho Man.
1089%20-%20I'm_Sorry%20autoplay_gif%20gif%20la_parka%20sign%20wcw.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In this episode of Nitro, Psicosis is wearing his saiyan armor costume while feuding with Ultimo Dragon.

It's so dense.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bret Hart spent most of his WCW run being "not" in the NWO.

PROTIP: He was totally in the NWO just about the entire time after turning heel.

EDIT: Nick Patrick has one of the all time great ref matches with Chris Jericho. Technically it is before he is the official NWO ref.

what's good in that AIW $5 DVD sale?

also, that Silas Young/Brian Kendrick match from ROH last week - jesus, protect your fuckin finishers. Kendrick kicked out of Silas's weird split legged springboard moonsault (that I still say shouldn't be his finisher) and Silas got out of Sliced Bread #2 TWICE, once from the top rope. All during a midcard match on TV.

KissVibes

Banned
Zack Ryder is using affiliate links on his twitter for things like Loot crates. I guess times are tough for everyone in the WWE.

I'm sorry, did he beat up EC3's little buddy? DID EC3 TURN ON HIS BEST BUD???

Pretty fucked up of him to turn his back on the WWE AND Scooby Doo.

Also HOLY FUCK AT BRODUS BEING FORTY-ONE YEARS OLD.

Zack Ryder is using affiliate links on his twitter for things like Loot crates. I guess times are tough for everyone in the WWE.

I'm sorry, did he beat up EC3's little buddy? DID EC3 TURN ON HIS BEST BUD???

Pretty fucked up of him to turn his back on the WWE AND Scooby Doo.

Also HOLY FUCK AT BRODUS BEING FORTY-ONE YEARS OLD.

Get the fuck outta here, no fucking way is he 41 years old. I see his YOB as 1980 some places, i'll believe that one first

strobogo

Banned
NJPW is coming for more matches on my Youtubers. One more claim and it is gone. I'm pretty sure I still have the Memphis stuff on an external hard drive to reupload somewhere. I don't understand how companies make their claims. Like, you'll see accounts with matches that have 10-20K views, whereas mine had like 100 for the same match and got popped.

Prediction time!

Cena loses to Brock. Is demoralized beyond belief. Goes after Rusev in order to redeem both himself, and America.
Rusev is dancing with Hornswoggle in 4 months

Pretty sure that's been the plan since Rusev debuted. Cena is gonna have to get his groove back some how and of course what happens next with Rusev is just following tradition.

What's WWE's domestic abuse policy for its performers?

Male on female, stay quiet and ignore it. Female on male, release the female turn the male gets jobber duty while coming off as a fool because he's a wimp for letting it happen and not fighting back.

Aiii

So not worth it

ambrose_what23rzrx.gif

Just for meaningless job guys with millions of Twitter followers I suppose. Guy should sell out big to marketing agencies.

Gauntlet for the Gold, Damn it feels good to be a Gangster and TGIF are all pretty good, alternatively, the best of 2013 looks like a good compilation - also, best of Tyler/Seth.

NJPW is coming for more matches on my Youtubers. One more claim and it is gone. I'm pretty sure I still have the Memphis stuff on an external hard drive to reupload somewhere. I don't understand how companies make their claims. Like, you'll see accounts with matches that have 10-20K views, whereas mine had like 100 for the same match and got popped.

Yeah, I don't get it either - a lot of my accounts I'd abandoned because of strikes have now been closed because New Japan (or some 3rd party working on their behalf) are aggressively copyright claiming everything New Japan related. Hell, even yottsume got his channel closed, and all he does is re-upload content on the NJPW youtube page but with English subtitles.

strobogo

Banned
Thoughts on the Planet of the Apes series:

Original and Beneath aren't very good. Beneath is especially bad in the last 3rd of the movie, which gets stupid and weird as fuck. And even then, I liked the new guy more than Heston. I've never liked Heston. He's so hammy and over the top that anything serious is immediately undermined. Beneath is almost offensively retread until the last 3rd of the movie. I'm glad I watched the 3 after those first because I probably wouldn't have stayed with it if I had just watched the original and Beneath.

I enjoyed the other 3, as they focus on the apes, aren't so fucking dry and bleak. A little fun and playfulness without getting campy goes a long way in movies about talking apes who dress like humans and ride horses and shoot guns.

There are some fucking snitches among us dawg.
Man, I've put over 30 hours into Destiny, but fuck that. Takeover main event takes priority.

Fuck it, I'm going to watch it again now.
Yeah I got distracted and never ended up going back. I only watched about 30 min. Maybe I'll watch it while I'm here at work. I need something to do
So can we talk about the shameless new Cameron track that's just a bunch of wrestler references she probably doesn't even understand herself?

Also, can we talk about how she even botched the McMahon name in the video promo she uploaded for it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CquOlk1d9vg#t=2m14s

Please?
What in the fuck was that? Was that on Total Divas? Man I had to listen to that shit twice. I don't even know how I feel about it.

Someone just needs to post a head bobbing gif for me.

Jamie OD

MAKESHIFT NWO TIER LIST.

Tier 2.
Masahiro Chono

Tier 3.
Hiroyoshi Tenzan. I love me some old school Tenzan.
Scott "Flash" Norton. Good bruiser look. Much more believeable in a bodyguard role than Vincent. Good matches in WCW and even better ones in NWO Japan.
The Great Muta(His stuff with NWO was boring, but I imagine itd be awesome if I understood the promos leading up to his joining since it was just like the Sting angle but with someone crazy)

There was a History of NWO Japan series of videos that NJPW put together years ago that was just awesome to watch. It was split into three parts and was just around 20 minutes long overall but it highlighted all of the crucial moments like Chono, Muta, Tenzan and so on joining either the NWO or splitting off into Team 2000. Best bit was a clip filmed after Muto took over the group. It was Chono in a dark room staring at the camera yelling "You fucked over NWO!" in broken English over and over. The stuff used to be on Youtube but it's long gone and I haven't found it anywhere since then.

Edit: Found the Chono clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUwsDtGz3gQ

strobogo

Banned
I will never fail to laugh at the hypocrisy Vince has over WCW "stealing" and "buying" his guys to get popular like it was such a breach of etiquette when that's exactly how he took his company national in the first place. 20 years later and he's still pissy about Hogan/Hall/Nash/Macho, but you'll never hear him say he regrets or feels bad about doing the same to all those territories in the 80s.

Alucard

Banned

also, that Silas Young/Brian Kendrick match from ROH last week - jesus, protect your fuckin finishers. Kendrick kicked out of Silas's weird split legged springboard moonsault (that I still say shouldn't be his finisher) and Silas got out of Sliced Bread #2 TWICE, once from the top rope. All during a midcard match on TV.

You're gonna love the ending to this week's Bucks/Briscoes match. Haha.

Alucard

Banned
Btw, I've never heard a Russo interview where he criticizes ANYTHING he did in the past. It's always "I was writing to keep people from changing the channel, bro!"

Aiii

So not worth it
Btw, I've never heard a Russo interview where he criticizes ANYTHING he did in the past. It's always "I was writing to keep people from changing the channel, bro!"

"I don't recall"

"That wasn't my decision"

"I wasn't involved in that"

I will never fail to laugh at the hypocrisy Vince has over WCW "stealing" and "buying" his guys to get popular like it was such a breach of etiquette when that's exactly how he took his company national in the first place. 20 years later and he's still pissy about Hogan/Hall/Nash/Macho, but you'll never hear him say he regrets or feels bad about doing the same to all those territories in the 80s.
No joke, one of the things I want most in the world is to have a one on one conversation with Vince McMahon. I would love to pick his brain. It would probably be the most interesting discussion I ever have in my life.

On a completely unrelated note, it is 4 in the morning but it's like 85 degrees outside.

Fuck this life.

Fuck. This. State.

Top Bottom