• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

Friend Bionic, what's with the new avatar?
image.php
Are you embracing the hate?
Bionic put in cheat codes to get Evil Cena?

Eatspopcorn.gif

Alucard

Banned
So, by the sound of those Impact spoilers, the main event of BFG will be...

A rematch between Roode and Lashley.

I'm good with that. I'd love to see
Roode
win it. He'd be bigger than ever. In TNA terms.

I was just thinkin' about Magnus today, and I had a strange realization - he was World Champ for a while this year. He's been demoted so hard since losing the title, after never really feeling like a real main event guy for the entirety of his run. But he's in a good spot now.

I assumed it was his take on Goth Cena that we've all been clamoring for.
I'm glad you haven't given up faith in Goth Cena. I sure haven't.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I was just thinkin' about Magnus today, and I had a strange realization - he was World Champ for a while this year. He's been demoted so hard since losing the title, after never really feeling like a real main event guy for the entirety of his run. But he's in a good spot now.

He's a complete afterthought! Bram gets more screentime than he does! He never won a single clean fight during his entire reign! EY, a comedy character for basically his entire run, was booked a thousand times better.

Magnus also is boring in the ring and not a great talker. He was 100% look. His look also made his victories even worse.

Luckily EY and now Lashley have been booked properly, Hell I'd rather watch Lashley do his three four moves and roll over people before I'd subject myself to another boring Magnus match.

Pretty much. I'm not really a fan of him and he definitely isn't main event level, but the booking didn't help at all. Being in a midcard tag team sounds about right though

Pretty much. I'm not really a fan of him and he definitely isn't main event level, but the booking didn't help at all. Being in a midcard tag team sounds about right though

What baffles me about Magnus is that TNA had the chance to make him a star by having him defeat both AJ and Sting clean, but instead we got a pair of clusterfuck matches.

strobogo

Banned
LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

WCW MONDAY NITRO 3/18/96

The go home show for Uncensored.

• Lex Luger vs Loch Ness WCW Television Championship
  • Public Enemy vs Steiner Brothers
  • Arn Anderson vs The Booty Man
  • Road Warriors vs Nasty Boys
  • Ric Flair/Taskmaster vs Mega Powers Texas Tornado Match

Match was, Lex was probably the most entertained he had ever been in his career. PE had a lot more offense on the Steiners than you'd think. Arn couldn't get anything out of Beefcake AND lost to him after a month of Hulk making him look like shit. The main even is where shit went down, though. Brian Pillman came out of the crowd and went after Macho (and everyone else around, but mostly Macho), then ZEUS and the Final Ultimate Solution made their debuts. Hulk was so legit shook he left through the crowd.

I like the idea of Zeus coming back as a wrestling character when by 1996, Tiny Lister had definitely been in enough things that you knew he was an actor. Including that big movie he was in with Hulk Hogan. He had been in episodes of Martin and Fresh Prince, Matlock, Beverly Hills Cop II, Universal Solider, Meteor Man, and Friday. You can't bring that guy in and pretend he's not a known actor.

Next PWG show sounds great!

Hot damn, Uhaa!!

PWG, 2014/10/12

. PWG World Title: Kyle O'Reilly (c) vs Roderick Strong
. PWG World Tag Titles: World's Cutest Tag Team (c) vs Johnny Gargano & Chuck Taylor
. Adam Cole vs Trevor Lee
. Biff Busick vs Tomasso Ciampa
. Bobby Fish vs Cedric Alexander
. AR Fox & ACH vs The Young Bucks
. Uhaa Nation vs Brian Cage

Fox & ACH vs The Bucks will be ridiculous.

Not that I'm defending their hiring practices, but Trish Stratus had no wrestling experience and she turned out OK. The fact is, the WWE wants charismatic good looking athletic people. Frankly, the modeling world is a good place to look and frankly, it's not like there are all of these great woman wrestlers who the WWE are missing out on.

I agree with the first part, nothing wrong with them hiring people with no wrestling experience, when you've got the likes of Sara Del Rey and Norman Smiley training them - as for the second part, I'd say there's a lot of good talent out there that could fit the bill, but perhaps WWE feel they already have enough Divas who can wrestle. It's not like they give them enough time, as it is.

And yeah, basically, every indy company in Japan can sell out Korakeun for a big show. It's not big achievement for TNA>

DDT are about the only indy that sells out Korakuen on a regular basis any more, while New Japan & Dragon Gate are the only two bigger companies that can rely on selling out the building. BJW, Z1, W-1, NOAH & AJPW have had some really poor gates there this year.

Monster Mafia vs The Young Bucks in a 2/3 falls cage match? Live on iPPV for only $5? Yes please;

http://www.h8feed.com/IWL/2014/08/31/new-era-9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD1lQ8E0w4Y

Haven't heard of IWL before, but Monster Mafia vs The Bucks should be worth the price of admission alone and there's a few guys I'm familiar with from PWG on the card; Peter Avalon, Ray Rosas, Famous B, but as for the rest I've got no clue. Fuck it, I'll give this a shot.

Alucard

Banned
Monster Mafia vs The Young Bucks in a 2/3 falls cage match? Live on iPPV for only $5? Yes please;

http://www.h8feed.com/IWL/2014/08/31/new-era-9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD1lQ8E0w4Y

Haven't heard of IWL before, but Monster Mafia vs The Bucks should be worth the price of admission alone and there's a few guys I'm familiar with from PWG on the card; Peter Avalon, Ray Rosas, Famous B, but as for the rest I've got no clue. Fuck it, I'll give this a shot.

Monster Mafia have come out of nowhere for me. They're really great.

Monster Mafia have come out of nowhere for me. They're really great.

Yeah, they've made some excellent progress since I first saw them a couple of years ago in AIW, great to see them making a name for themselves in ROH and the indies at large. Ethan cuts a good promo as well, which hopefully he'll get to show more of in ROH.

About to watch this weeks ROH TV, can't wait for that Bucks/Briscoes match!

Gargano and Taylor reunited!!! 2 of the most underrated guys in the biz!

I was seriously impressed with Gargano at the EVOLVE shows this past weekend and I've never really been that big a fan of him (hated his DGUSA title run). He adapted so well to Gulak's style at EVOLVE 35 though, both guys put on a great opening match and his match with Nese the previous night was pretty good as well.

Also, I like the bit about EVOLVE in the Observer this week;

Gabe Sapolsky has changed the format of the shows to straight matches, all singles matches, no intermission, with an emphasis on less high spots and more technical wrestling. He’s eliminating multiple person filler matches thinking that the three-and-four-way matches can get people to pop for them but everyone forgets about them five minutes after they are over. The philosophy is to vary times, have some matches build to a finish and others end with no build, just to show the end can come at any time. The idea is to keep the shows between two hours and 15 minute and two hours and 30 minutes. The heavy technical style is going to be built around Timothy Thatcher, Drew Gulak, Biff Busick and Zack Sabre Jr. as the leaders of the new style.

Gabe getting that shit back on track. The weekend rankings system is still dumb, though.

I was seriously impressed with Gargano at the EVOLVE shows this past weekend and I've never really been that big a fan of him (hated his DGUSA title run). He adapted so well to Gulak's style at EVOLVE 35 though, both guys put on a great opening match and his match with Nese the previous night was pretty good as well.

Gabe getting that shit back on track. The weekend rankings system is still dumb, though.
Why no mention of Drew Galloway? You build a company around him.

Kevin Steen looks like Robert Kirkman.

Hasney

This cracked me up

STEEN: French is my first language. I didn’t speak English until I was 12 or 13. I started picking it up, because I was watching WWE. That’s how I learned how to speak English.

ZAYN: Jim Ross taught him how to speak English.

STEEN: I was using, “coming down the aisle” and “stomping a mudhole.”

ZAYN: He thought they were regular expressions! “That was a real slobberknocker!”

And this:

*The term Geordie refers to an inhabitant of the Tyneside region of North East England. Neville himself hails from Newcastle upon Tyne.

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, they've made some excellent progress since I first saw them a couple of years ago in AIW, great to see them making a name for themselves in ROH and the indies at large. Ethan cuts a good promo as well, which hopefully he'll get to show more of in ROH.

About to watch this weeks ROH TV, can't wait for that Bucks/Briscoes match!

It was really good, but I preferred the Bucks/Addiction match. Enjoy Styles vs. O'Reilly. AJ is just so fluid right now.

I've been meaning to ask, why does Gargano seem to be Cena levels of divisive on the indy scene? I've only seen him on the last year or so of PWG shows, but he seems really good, but with a lot of people who despise him.

I've been meaning to ask, why does Gargano seem to be Cena levels of divisive on the indy scene? I've only seen him on the last year or so of PWG shows, but he seems really good, but with a lot of people who despise him.

Because he was/is the face of DGUSA/EVOLVE for a very, very long time. He was champ for almost 3 years, I think?

He's obviously very talented, if perhaps a bit too flashy for his own good, but it was really his run to the DGUSA title that started to put people off - Gabe was giving him the superman booking treatment and by the time he was half-way through his title reign a lot of people were seriously sick of him (even with the eventual heel turn). His title reign lasted over two years, with 22 defences - my breaking point was his 13th defence, which was against Shingo Takagi. Gargano took a TON of punishment, kicked out of everything and, despite his arm being heavily worked over, still got Shingo (the far bigger man) up for his finisher to win.

Raw64life

ZAYN: I don’t know what’s going to become of [Itami’s] career, but I highly doubt you’ll see him with a headband, hitting a gong or anything like that. We’re reinventing what it means to be from these countries. We’re not stereotypes. We’re not here to epitomize your preconceived notions about Canada or Ireland or Japan or England. We just happen to be from these places and we happen to be really good.

lol. Wait until Vince and Kevin Dunn get a hold of you.

Alucard

Banned
He's obviously very talented, if perhaps a bit too flashy for his own good, but it was really his run to the DGUSA title that started to put people off - Gabe was giving him the superman booking treatment and by the time he was half-way through his title reign a lot of people were seriously sick of him (even with the eventual heel turn). His title reign lasted over two years, with 22 defences - my breaking point was his 13th defence, which was against Shingo Takagi. Gargano took a TON of punishment, kicked out of everything and, despite his arm being heavily worked over, still got Shingo (the far bigger man) up for his finisher to win.

How is Shingo looking these days? Haven't seen one of his matches since...2011?

Carnby

ITAMI: When I started, I didn’t think about WWE, but my dream became bigger and bigger.

STEEN: Maybe you also came to WWE to take back the Go to Sleep. (Laughter.)

ITAMI: I hope! (Laughter.)

Punk always struggled to do the move. He should have chose a move that required him to be less ....fat.

Top Bottom