• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

strobogo

Banned
I seriously think the whole Black Saturday incident was the start of the entire "wcw is the devil".

He pretty much got chased out of Georgia when he tried to bring his "idea" of what wrestling should be like to a region which all they know is wrasslin'.

I agree. What they could have did was let Sting win clean...Bret comes down the aisle and gives sting a staredown. They could have kept Hart until Starrcade for the shocking effect but NOPE...they bragged and gloat about hart to the point they had him debut on nitro for a few segments :/.

That might be accurate. Vince not being able to get over someone doing to him what he did to everyone else is fucking weird regardless.

There's some humor to it, I mean he's the ultimate guy from up north but always claims to not be in the NWO. I still think they strung out his middle ground a bit too long and by the time they tried him as a full on heel he was mainly an afterthought. Every attempt to juice him up afterwards didn't work, but that was the bad luck from all the injuries came in.

Still the main point is that Bret Hart, sometimes the only watchable guy on New Generation shows, has only a few good matches in 3 years is so unbelievably sad. The one big time feud he does have with Sting produces a bunch of clunkers and his fun bit with Goldberg is ended before it even began. If anyone asks to see a Bret match from WCW just tell them to watch the Owen Tribute match and forget about the rest.

I watched a ton of shitty WCW matches with all those PPVs and nothing even comes close to being as depressing as this random Lex Luger versus Bret Hart match near the end of his run where Bret gets injured and Luger wins clean.

Oh definitely he was completely wasted, but I liked his promos as not a member of the NWO when he'd make silly faces and was a real condescending asshole who didn't give a shit about anything around him. Match wise, I think you can count the good ones on one hand.

• Vs Ric Flair Souled Out 1998
  • Vs Macho Man Slamboree 1998
  • Vs Benoit random Nitro 1998
  • Vs Benoit Owen Memorial Nitro 1999
  • Vs Kevin Nash Nitro 2000

The Nash one I think was his last televised match before 2010. He wrestled in jorts and an NWO shirt. It was surprisingly good, but kind of not that surprising since Nash and Bret always had good matches. But it was surprising for being as good as it was for Nash in WCW after 1996, Bret in WCW, and Bret working with a concussion, neck, knee, and groin injury.

I'm in this gif!

You're Scott Hall? Dope. Always thought you were rad, man. Cool that you're sober.

I'm the kid in the Bulls jersey behind him. And last weekend, I was the referee in a match with his son Cody Hall. Scott was outside the ring filming it. He was cool as fuck. I showed him a screenshot of that picture where I'm right behind him and he thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm the kid in the Bulls jersey behind him. And last weekend, I was the referee in a match with his son Cody Hall. Scott was outside the ring filming it. He was cool as fuck. I showed him a screenshot of that picture where I'm right behind him and he thought it was the coolest thing ever.

So Cody turned out ok then?

tm24

All hail glorious CZW, it seems that Los Traumas have their paperwork in order and will be in CZW in next year.

Also, does anyone else find it weird that so many indie luchadors love CZW and that CZW loves them too?

strobogo

Banned
Another tidbit that won't get mentioned in TMW: Eddie/Dean/Benoit were all New Japan guys. The same New Japan that WCW had been greatly improving their relationship with. To act like that wouldn't be a bit of an influence on those three guys getting signed to WCW is silly. Not to mention that all 3 had been in WCW before ECW. Eddie had a short run in the late 80s as a jobber/low card guy. Dean made random appearances in the late 80s and early 90s. Benoit had a multiple TV and PPV appearances in 1992-1993. It's not like they were complete unknowns that ECW discovered. They were all well known international stars who worked for a company that WCW had a relationship with, plus had already done work for WCW in the past.

Browny

Banned
To be fair, it was literally the first move in the match.
taznosell6msxo.gif
But it's a well-known fact that powerbombs are awesome. I'm trying to think of a shitty powerbomb...

Sid
Vader
Nash
JBL
Batista
TMF Malenko
Norton

That's right - no shitty powerbombs.

Ok, Sable's wasn't great. But seriously...

Browny

Banned
Ah Cena... just as good as your hurricanrana.

Yeah, I can see Rey not being a happy bunny - although that merch money coming in must help. The E really need to get Kalisto moving quickly.

He seems pretty frugal. I remember seeing a clip of MTV Cribs (?) - huge house; they blurred his face out all the time.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They've shown his house and cars a few time. He's loaded as hell. Which, say what you will about his output in the last 6 or 7 years, it's incredible someone his size who came to wrestling as young as he did was able to have such financial success in professional wrestling. I imagine he figured out how much his merch made WWE and really made loads then when he pushed for more of a percent.

It's why I'm sure he wants to do AAA. He can work a light schedule, AAA will probably sell his masks, and he'll negotiate an even higher percentage there because I'm positive he owns his name/brand. I honestly don't see him doing much wrestling with them, just selling his stuff and doing appearances. I mean, if you watched the CMLL stream, you saw tons of Atlantis and Ultimo Guerrero masks. I can't even imagine how many Mysterio masks they'd sell.

Aiii

So not worth it
6ElDh.gif

As an aside; I am pretty psyched about a Rey Mysterio shoot interview when he's out of contract.

I think this one was on Rey, you have to sit up straight if you're gonna get powerbombed, not slant back as if you're lounging on a couch dammit. How dare Rey Rey make Juan Sina look bad?

I wrote a preview for the impending PROGRESS show over for TheIndyCorner, check it out;

http://www.theindycorner.com/columns/progress-wrestling-chapter-15-28914-preview/

Also, full card for KOPW;

NJPW, "KING OF PRO-WRESTLING", 2014/10/15
Ryogoku Kokugikan, Tokyo

01. Togi Makabe, Yuji Nagata, Kota Ibushi & Tomoaki Honma vs Bullet Club (Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows, Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga)
02. NWA Jr. Heavyweight Title: Chase Owens © vs BUSHI
03. NWA World Heavyweight Tag Titles: TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) © vs K.E.S. (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr)
04. Kazushi Sakuraba & Toru Yano vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka)
05. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: TIME SPLITTERS (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA) © vs The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) vs Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov)
06. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Ryusuke Taguchi © vs El Desperado
07. NEVER Openweight Title: Yujiro Takahashi © vs Tomohiro Ishii
08. Special Tag Match: CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura & YOSHI-HASHI) vs Katsuyori Shibata & Hirooki Goto
09. Tokyo Dome no.1 Contendership: Kazuchika Okada © vs Tetsuya Naito
10. IWGP Heavyweight Title: AJ Styles © vs Hiroshi Tanahashi

Watched another old-school ROH last night, a few selected gifs;

Sydal.gif

Evans3.gif

Generation_Next.gif

Steamboat.gif

Romero.gif

Aiii

So not worth it

Many flippydoo's... And then you hit the knees.

Making everything completely pointless.

My biggest gripe with excessive flippy moves is when they miss the guy and make it all pointless, could have just done a Hogan legdrop and actually hit the guy instead and do more damage.

Yeah, it's going to be fun. Hope we don't see Dar banned from PROGRESS though - I think the most likely outcome is either Will losing his title shot, or the Riots winning the tag titles.

My biggest gripe with excessive flippy moves is when they miss the guy and make it all pointless, could have just done a Hogan legdrop and actually hit the guy instead and do more damage.

You can say that about any flippy move, not only 'excessive' ones. An elbow drop is far easier to hit perfectly with any regularity than a moonsault, but that doesn't mean we should do away with moonsaults.

TBH, I didn't even notice Sydal didn't hit Acid flush until you pointed it out, probably because Trent sold it well.

Top Bottom