• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

In terms of being athletic and all? Yes, he is really good.

But most of his matches are rest holds and they just drag the show a long. Seeing Orton do a rest hold while Cole screams how he is so amazing and the perfect wrestler just doesn't fit.

Orton, more than Cena, is the guy that I don't think helps the show. He drags things and isn't exciting.

I feel like you're hung up on Randy Orton from 5-7 years ago. Orton really was bad and slow and awkward for a while, but he's become the legit best they have. He has a better mix of look, skill, charisma, and psychology than anyone else right now, he's just been stuck in impressing Triple H/wrestling the up and coming face hell for a while now.

Alucard

Banned
Ziggler doesn't even belong on a top ten. I'd swap Jericho for Orton, too.

It's all subjective. I'm not a big Ziggler fan, but I find his matches more interesting than Orton's. Same with Jericho, who has obvious passion when he's in the ring and still understands how to put a match together.

I like Orton's body language, but his chinlocks kill me.

Same with Jericho, who has obvious passion when he's in the ring and still understands how to put a match together.
Man, what? Jericho's phoned in every single match in this return, and he doesn't seem to know at all how to pop a crowd anymore in any way. I couldn't tell you the physical story involved in any of Jericho's PPV matches because they've all come off like generic Raw matches to me.

It's all subjective. I'm not a big Ziggler fan, but I find his matches more interesting than Orton's. Same with Jericho, who has obvious passion when he's in the ring and still understands how to put a match together.

I like Orton's body language, but his chinlocks kill me.

I see you're getting the most out of your 9.99 by enjoying Chris Jericho matches from the late 90s and early 2000s.

I feel like you're hung up on Randy Orton from 5-7 years ago. Orton really was bad and slow and awkward for a while, but he's become the legit best they have. He has a better mix of look, skill, charisma, and psychology than anyone else right now, he's just been stuck in impressing Triple H/wrestling the up and coming face hell for a while now.
People still harp on shit he did when he was a kid despite all evidence recently showing that he's matured.

But this is also a community that still thinks Hogan was wrong and Randy was right.

strobogo

Banned
eOtv0Rc.jpg

Alucard

Banned
Man, what? Jericho's phoned in every single match in this return, and he doesn't seem to know at all how to pop a crowd anymore in any way.

Totally disagree about the phoning it in comment.

Good matches against:
-Miz
-Wyatt (Summerslam and cage)
-Kane (Raw)
-Orton (NoC)

And that's not counting his tags and Smackdown matches. He carried that stupid "show me you deserve a shot at Brock" match.

kiguel182

It's interesting because I see Orton as the exact opposite: he's one of the few guys they have on top who's just absolutely perfect with his timing, pacing, and match progression. He's on a level few can touch even when they try their best.

I'm not saying he's a 5-star match guy, because he is pretty deliberately slow and his style isn't very technical, but he's a solid 3-4 star match every PPV if the company's behind him with a story.

Timing, yes. I agree with that. But pacing? How? I'm seriously asking, why do you think that?

Most matches he kills the crowd with his rest spots, and the whole "out of nowhere" moves are the opposite of building momentum and create any sense of pace.

I feel like you're hung up on Randy Orton from 5-7 years ago. Orton really was bad and slow and awkward for a while, but he's become the legit best they have. He has a better mix of look, skill, charisma, and psychology than anyone else right now.

That's not true from where I'm standing. He looks great, sure. The rest? Flat no.

He isn't that charismatic since most people don't care for him, he might be skilled but he is not a cut above everyone else. And yeah, his psychology sucks. Looking creepy is not good psychology.

People still harp on shit he did when he was a kid despite all evidence recently showing that he's matured.

But this is also a community that still thinks Hogan was wrong and Randy was right.

I may have said it in this thread already, but Orton had the bad fortune to be like the first guy to really have to grow up and mature on live WWE TV. He was the first guy to come along after spending 5 years in the indies/Japan/Mexico wasn't necessary anymore, so we saw all the green newness we never saw in wrestlers before, and some of that was while he was main eventing (the fact he was main eventing too soon wasn't his fault either). His work over the past 5 years or so is fantastic, and this is from a guy that went to a Raw in 2005 with an "Orton Only Punches" sign and hated the guy.

He isn't that charismatic since most people don't care for him, he might be skilled but he is not a cut above everyone else. And yeah, his psychology sucks. Looking creepy is not good psychology.

You meant to say "marks."

Orton pops the crowd all of the time. I'm not sure what you're seeing.

kiguel182

I may have said it in this thread already, but Orton had the bad fortune to be like the first guy to really have to grow up and mature on live WWE TV. He was the first guy to come along after spending 5 years in the indies/Japan/Mexico wasn't necessary anymore, so we saw all the green newness we never saw in wrestlers before, and some of that was while he was main eventing (the fact he was main eventing too soon wasn't his fault either).

I'm talking about Orton now. This has nothing to do about how green he was since I mostly missed that.

Orton today bores the fuck out of me. This isn't related to past Orton.

Totally disagree about the phoning it in comment.

Good matches against:
-Miz
-Wyatt (Summerslam and cage)
-Kane (Raw)
-Orton (NoC)

And that's not counting his tags and Smackdown matches. He carried that stupid "show me you deserve a shot at Brock" match.
All of those matches were really generic. Can you describe what happened in any of the non-cage singles matches in a compelling way? (The ending of the cage match was fun-ish.) I just remember them being a series of basic moves. The Kane match had the turnbuckle build and spot, but it was such a fittingly old and dated match pace and style.

I remember when Jericho came out to call Steph names, and then he tacked on the most uninspired desire to wrestle Wyatt that night that wasn't convincing anyone. It was real bad.

"Come on, baby!"

Omega

Banned
Re: Waifu Poll,

16%
Nikki Bella

uw0tm8

im convinced it's those numbers because no one even knows who the other people are since they're barely on tv

no one besides the Bellas Paige and AJ have more than 5%

Lana should be in the lead. what is wrong with people..do they not see those legs?

kiguel182

I may have said it in this thread already, but Orton had the bad fortune to be like the first guy to really have to grow up and mature on live WWE TV. He was the first guy to come along after spending 5 years in the indies/Japan/Mexico wasn't necessary anymore, so we saw all the green newness we never saw in wrestlers before, and some of that was while he was main eventing (the fact he was main eventing too soon wasn't his fault either).

You meant to say "marks."

Orton pops the crowd all of the time. I'm not sure what you're seeing.

Sure, "marks".

It's a mild reaction at best. They don't pop for him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Orton and Okada have a lot of similar traits. Would love to see those two have a match. Great wrestlers.

Orton dash under the Prettiest Dropkick in Wrestling and hits an RKO out of nowhere? Sure.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Randy Orton is an awful wrestler. He's like Mike Awesome where he can do moves but doesn't know thing 1 about making a much interesting or compelling. Combine that with his poor work ethic, bad promos, and overhyped OUTTANOWHERE spot and you make a case for one of the most uninteresting wrestlers in all of the WWE.

"Randy Orton is an awful wrestler" does not compute.

Thorakai

The crowd was going crazy for Orton even when he was in purgatory for his wellness violation. The whole Authority angle killed a lot of the reactions he used to get.

The crowd was going crazy for Orton even when he was in purgatory for his wellness violation. The whole Authority angle killed a lot of the reactions he used to get.
Yeah I think people are forgetting how hot Orton got a few years ago in his tweener phase. There was definitely a proto-Ambrose thing going on there.

kiguel182

I was at the house show the day before SummerSlam and he got a louder pop than anyone, including Cena, several times. He isn't as unpopular as you and your friend Mark want him to be.

Sure, I'll just trust this one random guy on the internet instead of what I hear every week on TV.

Also, he still bores the crap out of me. So even if he was this really popular guy that wouldn't change.

Not liking a wrestler doesn't make a mark. It's called having a taste and not liking things.

Randy Orton is an awful wrestler. He's like Mike Awesome where he can do moves but doesn't know thing 1 about making a much interesting or compelling. Combine that with his poor work ethic, bad promos, and overhyped OUTTANOWHERE spot and you make a case for one of the most uninteresting wrestlers in all of the WWE.

I can't think of a single memorable feud or match of his. I can think of more high profile disappointments he was in than anything else

He has been booked pretty poorly but honestly that isn't the entire problem. He just sucks.

hhh/orton at wm25 is one of the worst WM main events of all time.

Sure, I'll just trust this one random guy on the internet instead of what I hear every week on TV.

Also, he still bores the crap out of me. So even if he was this really popular guy that wouldn't change.

Not liking a wrestler doesn't make a mark. It's called having a taste and not liking things.

image.php

Man, they don't even have 1996 Raws to watch both shows week by week. You can't go back and watch anything they talk about in the War show unless it was in WCW in 1996 or is one of a few random big Attitude Era Raws they've uploaded.

This is an especially bad oversight since they've already done this the right way with WWE OD, where they would have the Raw and Nitro from a given week each week with an intro discussing what happened on each program.

strobogo

Banned
Man, they don't even have 1996 Raws to watch both shows week by week. You can't go back and watch anything they talk about in the War show unless it was in WCW in 1996 or is one of a few random big Attitude Era Raws they've uploaded.

It's definitely a shit show. Completely abandoning Raw in August 1995 is goofy as shit. ECW as well.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Woah, what's with all the "Randy Orton is a terrible wrestler" talk going on now? I mean, he's okay, but he's just not this supposedly amazing wrestler that people tend to goad on about. To me, he's just...ehhh.

strobogo

Banned
Orton is super dope when he is put in big matches and angles. When he has something to prove. When he's basically below Kane in the Authority hierarchy, he's not given anything to do and performs accordingly.

Woah, what's with all the "Randy Orton is a terrible wrestler" talk going on now? I mean, he's okay, but he's just not this supposedly amazing wrestler that people tend to goad on about. To me, he's just...ehhh.

To me, the case for Orton is whether or not you're a big fan of the "WWE Style" (lots and lots of heat followed by short burts of big moves). If you like that style, Orton is a master of it. He also seems to phone it in sometimes, and hell why wouldn't he? The guy never got over like they wanted (as in drawing power) but has never lost his spot as a perennial main eventer.

Different strokes.

I'm more concerned with the "Jericho's still good" talk than anything.

Orton is still in my top 5 right now though.

Randy Orton is boring. Plain and simple. His character is going nowhere. He has all the tools to be interesting. Hell at this point I'm not sure if he even gives a shit. He could be there saying fuck it and collecting a very nice paycheck. Creative hasn't been very kind to him so maybe that's why he comes off as having little to no passion for the business right now.

I do like a few things he's done over the years. The Legend Killer gimmick was alright, the feud with taker was alright, Legacy was decent, and I guess some of his run with Evolution was ok.

Nothing memorable and certainly nothing that would make me say he's one of the greats. Dude has a ton of talent though and probably the best timing of anyone out there.

somedevil

Here are Meltzer's Ratings for Night of Champions:

>Goldust & Stardust vs. Jimmy & Jey Uso (WWE Tag Team Championship Match): ***1/4

>Sheamus vs. Cesaro (WWE United States Championship Match): ****

>The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler (WWE Intercontinental Championship Match): **1/2

>Rusev vs. Mark Henry: *1/4

>Randy Orton vs. Chris Jericho: ****

>AJ Lee vs. Paige vs. Nikki Bella (WWE Divas Championship Match): **1/4

>John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar (WWE Championship Match): ***1/2

He was a big fan of Orton and Jericho and Sheamus vs Cesaro

Ultratech

Orton is super dope when he is put in big matches and angles. When he has something to prove. When he's basically below Kane in the Authority hierarchy, he's not given anything to do and performs accordingly.

Yeah, he seems really off and on when it comes to looking good.

I mean, you kinda explained it pretty well.

In big matches, he can be pretty awesome and pull off some nice spots, whereas in other matches...not so much.

(Part of it also depends on his opponent, but the above still stands.)

Top Bottom