• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

Aiii

So not worth it
I know getting paid a solid wage is great and all but when you're in your mid 30's and they relegate you down to their development show they're probably trying to tell you something.

Some people just don't have that much ambition and are happy where they are.

I mean, I have had colleagues that come in at 8:30 and go home at 17:00 at the second, only do exactly as they're told and never spend an extra second working on something cool or worthwhile on their own. They live for other things and don't see work as anything other than a means to an end, I get it. Maybe Tyson is that person and is like "whatever, I'm getting paid to do nothing, great."

Or maybe he's just not the kind of person that dares speak up to improve his position. He seems timid and completely overpowered by Natalya on Total Divas, since that's a worked show based on reality I guess his personality just doesn't really mesh well with an Alpha-person environment as I'm sure WWE is.

Who knows, as said above, let him do his NXT thing and help the younger guys improve their in-ring work, that's where he can shine np.

RP912

Banned
I'm over here watching Spring Stampede 94. That Dustin Rhodes/Bunkhouse Buck match though....

Anywho...I had an revelation. Stardust/goldust need to get rid of the gold and put on the cowboy boots and jeans. They pretty much forgot about the cosmo key and went full heel. Hell JBL could be the manager since that's up his alley from the "weirdo' gimmick.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But I enjoy him in NXT even though I have no qualms if he's never called back up, just keep him on that show.

I mean he's 34, unless he has ambitions to do anything else (New Japan probably being the only fit for him if they have an interest), he may as well become an NXT regular and transition into being a coach there.

I could go without even his NXT stuff. Just go meet up with DBS Jr in Japan and try to eke out a living there. Really, it's a shame, but...he just doesn't feel to me like he has any way to belong in WWE.

Recall

Wwe should follow new japan and bring back the cruserweight divison , considering how nitro tier raw has been.

That or an open weight title.

Bringing back a division isn't the same as correctly booking one.

WWE books its divisions exactly the same, they have done so for eons so expecting change now is just awaiting disappointment.

If you want to watch a NJPW style light heavyweight division then watch NJPW.

RP912

Banned
Last time WWE had a lightweight division...it failed like a fart in a hot tub. Its unfortunate because they had such an amazing roster around that time but WWE.....

I see NXT having a division like that whenever they expand.

strobogo

Banned
I could go without even his NXT stuff. Just go meet up with DBS Jr in Japan and try to eke out a living there. Really, it's a shame, but...he just doesn't feel to me like he has any way to belong in WWE.

He's just being held down, Vince. Because he's small. Small guys always get held down in WWE. Fucking Levesque.

RP912

Banned
ATrain being a beast in NJPW and coming to WWE to be a dancing ATrain is the biggest injustice to grace professional wrasslin :/

That's like Vader coming to WWF to be Duke the Dumpster Drowsey's long lost dad.

strobogo

Banned
ATrain being a beast in NJPW and coming to WWE to be a dancing ATrain is the biggest injustice to grace professional wrasslin :/

That's like Vader coming to WWF to be Duke the Dumpster Drowsey's long lost dad.

Is it? Because I watched Bernard/Nagata, which was said to be the best match of NJPW in 2006 and of Albert's career and it wasn't that impressive. I think Albert was doing better work at the end of his WWE run. In addition, I don't know why anyone expected something huge from a guy in his late 30s who spent almost all of his prior WWE run being a mid card comedy guy.

RP912

Banned
Is it? Because I watched Bernard/Nagata, which was said to be the best match of NJPW in 2006 and of Albert's career and it wasn't that impressive. I think Albert was doing better work at the end of his WWE run. In addition, I don't know why anyone expected something huge from a guy in his late 30s who spent almost all of his prior WWE run being a mid card comedy guy.

A powerhouse midcarder like vader in his 40s. It's not that he should be pushed to the moon but at least a better gimmick henchman for big johnny. I would have brought back the hired gun gimmick that he had during his late wwe run.

Sephzilla

Albert simply should have never come back to WWE. The moment he showed up as Tensai everybody immediately remembered who he used to be, and that killed him instantly.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand the butthurt over wanting huge guys. It's a carnival of larger than life humans doing crazy athletic shit. Why is it so bad to want people who ARE larger than life?

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't understand the butthurt over wanting huge guys. It's a carnival of larger than life humans doing crazy athletic shit. Why is it so bad to want people who ARE larger than life?

Can we, at least, acknowledge that not all of us need to have slow boring larger than life wrestlers?

If I never have to see Larger Than Life Kane vs. Big Show matches ever again, that would be grrrrrrreat.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Can we, at least, acknowledge that not all of us need to have slow boring larger than life wrestlers?

If I never have to see Larger Than Life Kane vs. Big Show matches ever again, that would be grrrrrrreat.

You like Lesnar no? Why not try to find more Lesnars?

RP912

Banned

Because large wrestlers remind me of huge ass consoles back in the day. It blew my mind but at the same time it takes up space. Plus there's no larger than life wrestlers that can go in the likes of Yokozuna, Andre the Giant, and even Brock Lesnar.

Sephzilla

because it sure seems like a ton of the larger than life body types are pretty limited in the ring.

"Larger than life" , at least to me, is supposed to mean "these people are doing fake matches that are in no way real, the stories are comic booky, and there's no way a real human could survive this" shit. Larger than life become roid freaks feels like an entirely Vince McMahon kind of perversion.

The matches/stories are supposed to be what's larger than life, not the actual wrestlers.

Aiii

So not worth it
You like Lesnar no? Why not try to find more Lesnars?

I like Lesnar because he's a guy that comes out, destroys stuff and leaves. I haven't much enjoyed the majority of his actual matches though. His return match with Cena was awesome, but he second match just now wasn't great. Brock vs. Taker wasn't much fun, Trips vs. Brock wasn't that great, Brock vs. Punk wasn't that great either.

Besides, one Lesnar works, but five Lesnars? I dunno about that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What if Hercules Hernandez in his prime was in WWE now? Yall would LOVE that majesty.

Cagey

Banned

Because we need to invent underdogs to root for in the wrestling fan's favorite form of sports entertainment: pro wrestling backstage politics.

Albert simply should have never come back to WWE. The moment he showed up as Tensai everybody immediately remembered who he used to be, and that killed him instantly.
I can't really blame Vince or creative for switching up his gimmick near the end, he wasn't really getting any sort of response. No one cared to see a 2K Kwang.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
ala Gamasutra's postmortems, I'd like to see wrestlers candidly discuss their past gimmicks and what did and didn't work. We usually get those in shoots but I'd like a focus on it for a show. That'd be dope. Like, I'd love to hear from Alberto Del Rio about the different adjustments to his character he was forced to make and how that worked or didn't work, what he felt people enjoyed.

Hearing Batista talk about it on that shitty Jericho podcast was nice. If you listen to those interviews and still hate Batista, it's obvious you're going to hell when you die.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Batista seems like an alright Bro.

He's friends with Dominic Purcell, star of Blade Trinity and Prison Break. AKA the Hot Michael Scott.

Weirdly, Steve Carrell looks just like Alice Cooper sans makeup.

5evABDo.jpg

Hasney

ala Gamasutra's postmortems, I'd like to see wrestlers candidly discuss their past gimmicks and what did and didn't work. We usually get those in shoots but I'd like a focus on it for a show. That'd be dope. Like, I'd love to hear from Alberto Del Rio about the different adjustments to his character he was forced to make and how that worked or didn't work, what he felt people enjoyed.

Hearing Batista talk about it on that shitty Jericho podcast was nice. If you listen to those interviews and still hate Batista, it's obvious you're going to hell when you die.

I don;'t mind Batista. I just would rather not watch him wrestle/have a mic when he's a babyface.

Wonder if he can get back to being somewhat good in the ring though. Old Batista with the right opponent was always fun.

RP912

Banned
Batista gets so much shit it's not even funny. Poor sap got booked wrong during his 'return" run because WWE thinks making him a face is good for business when he was a full grown heel that assaulted Rey Mysterio because he wasn't a good friend. He also saved the god awful wrestlemania 30 conference from bombing hard which his drunk off his ass antics.

Brotista is so misunderstood :(.

strobogo

Banned
It was really stupid to try to pretend he wasn't Albert. He probably would have had a better fun if he came back as Albert or A-Train. Not some weird hodgepodge of decades old Japanese wrestler stereotypes.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't remember if they tried to pretend he wasn't Albert, I know they acknowledged he was a former WWE star who went to Japan and came back transformed at some point, can't really remember if it was before or after the Albert chants.

That said, live crowds utterly suck when they try to ruin stuff for the sake of ruining stuff. There was no need to chant Albert at the guy really.

It was really stupid to try to pretend he wasn't Albert. He probably would have had a better fun if he came back as Albert or A-Train. Not some weird hodgepodge of decades old Japanese wrestler stereotypes.

The night after mania crowd knew who he was, could've just piggy backed off that

Sephzilla

Batista gets so much shit it's not even funny. Poor sap got booked wrong during his 'return" run because WWE thinks making him a face is good for business when he was a full grown heel that assaulted Rey Mysterio because he wasn't a good friend. He also saved the god awful wrestlemania 30 conference from bombing hard which his drunk off his ass antics.

Brotista is so misunderstood :(.

A lot of the shit Batista got was because he pretty much walked in and, to the fans, stole the spot they feel Bryan earned. It also didn't help that Batista was comically out of wrestling shape when he first came back.

RP912

Banned

That shit felt like a ribbed to NJPW and his run there. You would think Yoshi would have gotten a feud with atrain instead of a squash but NOPE. WWE forever burying Asian wrestlers :/. The only dude that didn't play that shit was Ultimo Dragon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of the shit Batista got was because he pretty much walked in and, to the fans, stole the spot they feel Bryan earned. It also didn't help that Batista was comically out of wrestling shape when he first came back.

Fans are idiots. Batista knew what was up.

Sephzilla

Fans are idiots. Batista knew what was up.

Even without the Bryan stuff I think he would have gotten a lukewarm reception at best because there was really nothing good about his return. His matches were short, boring, and he was clearly gassing himself. Then he got thrown into a random as fuck ADR feud that had absolutely nothing compelling about it.

There's a reason Batista's exploding skinny jeans, his "IDGAF" mentality during the WM30 presser, and BlueTista are the three most memorable parts of his recent run.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Even without the Bryan stuff I think he would have gotten a lukewarm reception at best because there was really nothing good about his return. His matches were short, boring, and he was clearly gassing himself. Then he got thrown into a random as fuck ADR feud that had absolutely nothing compelling about it.

That was a very weird turn. I'd like to know the whole story on why they half-assed a little Twitter war between the two and then blew it off. I mean, things change, but damn.

I also feel Daniel Wyatt should have lasted months. Had they saved it, it would have been perfect to have now.

Top Bottom