• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

If Batista came back as a heel, worked shorter matches that focused on power moves, didn't give Alberto Del Rio MORE screen time, and didn't have shitty attire, his return would've been infinitely more tolerable
ibdUlM0XZxbnhV.gif

Sephzilla

That was a very weird turn. I'd like to know the whole story on why they half-assed a little Twitter war between the two and then blew it off. I mean, things change, but damn.

I also feel Daniel Wyatt should have lasted months. Had they saved it, it would have been perfect to have now.

Yeah, the ADR/Batista feud was weird.

You're spot on about the Daniel Wyatt thing though. They just picked a really bad time to do that storyline. Everybody wanted Bryan going after the belt at that point.

Unless they give him the title or something close to that nature, I don't know if it's even worth it for Batista. I thought he was shooting some new version of Bloodsport or something and then he'll probably get to work on GoG2 in the next year or so.

RP912

Banned
A lot of the shit Batista got was because he pretty much walked in and, to the fans, stole the spot they feel Bryan earned. It also didn't help that Batista was comically out of wrestling shape when he first came back.

True. It goes back to WWE's booking of what they consider good for the masses. In Vince's eye Batista/Orton should have been the headline for Wrestlemania 30 but instead they included the "runt" into the mix. They should have gave Batista a chance to get back into the funk and feud with Cena for a final showdown. It would have saved Bray's momentum because no lie after his match with Cena....his momentum died :(.

Hasney

That was a very weird turn. I'd like to know the whole story on why they half-assed a little Twitter war between the two and then blew it off. I mean, things change, but damn.

Well I think it was a feud that was supposed to go onto being Batistas first defence after winning the title, but then it was clear he wasn't going to be cheered anyway.

Evolution reunion against the Shield made it worth it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

You're spot on about the Daniel Wyatt thing though. They just picked a really bad time to do that storyline. Everybody wanted Bryan going after the belt at that point.

The biggest issue I had with that story is how they emergency-aborted it instead of letting it happen and sticking to it. Now unfortunately it's been done before and they can't (or shouldn't) go back to the well.

RP912

Banned
It didn't help the fact that Brotista left during his amazing heel turn. Also, even during his hayday...fans didn't give much of a shit about him as Vince saw in his own warped mindset. I remember pre IWC days posters used to call him botchtista and say how much his matches sucked.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I saw a 'Dont Tread On Me' license plate while I was out taking a drug test.

Clearly, Jack Swagger has mainstream penetration.

Sephzilla

The biggest issue I had with that story is how they emergency-aborted it instead of letting it happen and sticking to it. Now unfortunately it's been done before and they can't (or shouldn't) go back to the well.

I feel they would have stuck to it had the ESPN/Michigan State "YES" chant not happened. I kind of think that was the moment Vince actually realized how over as fuck Bryan was so he had to capitalize on it.

It didn't help the fact that Brotista left during his amazing heel turn. Also, even during his hayday...fans didn't give much of a shit about him as Vince saw in his own warped mindset. I remember pre IWC days posters used to call him botchtista and say how much his matches sucked.

I admit to having a little bit of a bias because I was never a big Batista fan, but yeah, it seems like Vince and company always thought Batista was a bigger star than he actually was.

That's because top Smackdown guy Batista didn't do shit until his Taker feud which, let's be honest, he was totally playing the heel for.

Hasney

Let's not forget his "awesome" match with Big Show in WWECW.

RP912

Banned

The Daniel Wyatt thing ended in a blaze of glory. That shitty storyline proved that he's still over a hell. I remember that cage match and how the crowd lost their shit when Bry turned on Bray. It was like Bry was glowing and hitting level 1000 while Villain Vince in the gorilla position yelling to the production team to lower the yes chants.

That storyline was a gift in a smashed up box.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The Daniel Wyatt thing ended in a blaze of glory. That shitty storyline proved that he's still over a hell. I remember that cage match and how the crowd lost their shit when Bry turned on Bray. It was like Bry was glowing and hitting level 1000 while Villain Vince in the gorilla position yelling to the production team to lower the yes chants.

That storyline was a gift in a smashed up box.

Can you imagine how awesome that would have been if it had three months to build? Man.

Sephzilla

Can you imagine how awesome that would have been if it had three months to build? Man.

Just playing devil's advocate. I don't remember too many people being that thrilled with the story when it first started. Part of that reaction might have been the fans collectively going "thank fucking Christ this was over before it started".

Imagine the pop Vince would get if he walked into the ring tonight and said "The Bella segments aren't happening anymore".

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just playing devil's advocate. I don't remember too many people being that thrilled with the story when it first started. Part of that reaction might have been the fans collectively going "thank fucking Christ this was over before it started".

Imagine the pop Vince would get if he walked into the ring tonight and said "The Bella segments aren't happening anymore".

I think a lot of people were too worried Bryan wouldn't make it to Mania as a face. It's still a solid group to join. Then they started...well...Mania 30 was a dope show, possibly the best Mania, but boy did it run out of steam right after. Had Evolution not put over the Shield as hard as they did it would have been a total wash.

RP912

Banned
I admit to having a little bit of a bias because I was never a big Batista fan, but yeah, it seems like Vince and company always thought Batista was a bigger star than he actually was.

I remember during the evolution breakup Orton getting more pop for leaving than Batista. He will forever be known as the collection plate guy for devon and having a good match with taker.

That's because top Smackdown guy Batista didn't do shit until his Taker feud which, let's be honest, he was totally playing the heel for.

Agree. His feud with taker was probably the best thing to happen during his run besides calling cena on his shit.

Let's not forget his "awesome" match with Big Show in WWECW.

:/ It's sad when Sabu out of all people had to save the match from getting destroyed by the ECW fans. Lol that was the last time Vince went into the Ballroom. Punk getting cheered and Big Show/Brotista getting booed....NOPE!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
WTF has Madden done

this is so weird and creepy
qcGYH1T.gif

strobogo

Banned

Bateaster was over and held down Smackdown for those few years when he wasn't hurt. When he wasn't on Smackdown, he didn't do much for the company. He was never a great wrestler, but a lot of big drawing guys weren't good wrestlers. It's not always about the great matches. He also wasn't a very good promo as a face, so I'm not sure why he was over, but he was. He had a connection with the Smackdown audiences and was definitely more over than Cena at the same time.

I saw a 'Dont Tread On Me' license plate while I was out taking a drug test.

Clearly, Jack Swagger has mainstream penetration.

I see the flags all over my city and it makes me very uncomfortable when I roll by them. There is a little enclave of DTOM and Confederate flags, with all the cars having hateful Obama bumper stickers, about a mile and a half from me. It's just one little road on in a neighborhood, but every house has one or both flags.

There is also a house where the windows are covered with Heath Ledger Joker posters. That might be even more unsettling.

Sephzilla

I think a lot of people were too worried Bryan wouldn't make it to Mania as a face. It's still a solid group to join. Then they started...well...Mania 30 was a dope show, possibly the best Mania, but boy did it run out of steam right after. Had Evolution not put over the Shield as hard as they did it would have been a total wash.

Ugh.

It's just amazing how quickly they ruined all of the momentum from WM30.

Cagey

Banned
I remember during the evolution breakup Orton getting more pop for leaving than Batista. He will forever be known as the collection plate guy for devon and having a good match with taker.

To you, sure. To the vast majority of the rest of fans, no.

Bandini

After checking tonight's "Raw 5 Point Preview", I'd kill for a Daniel Wyatt angle. At least Takeover is this week.

Well at least there's little chance of a 6 man tag match as the main event tonight although I might be counting the chickens before they hatch.

RP912

Banned

Three months is too long for something that expired on the day it happened. I remember the growns and moans from the fans when they did those segments where Bray punished Bry for screwing up. It didn't help the fact that it was destroying the wyatt family at the same time. The whole storyline was a mess and a half.

Aiii

So not worth it
So tonight is apparently advertised as the season premiere of Raw.

Which is weird since their big thing is "WWE doesn't have seasons, we run all year long."

Orton got his ass beat and then spit in Triple H's face, while Batista's turn was telegraphed as fuck. So yeah, way bigger pop. Also, no one remember's Rev. D-Von

RP912

Banned
Bateaster was over and held down Smackdown for those few years when he wasn't hurt. When he wasn't on Smackdown, he didn't do much for the company. He was never a great wrestler, but a lot of big drawing guys weren't good wrestlers. It's not always about the great matches. He also wasn't a very good promo as a face, so I'm not sure why he was over, but he was. He had a connection with the Smackdown audiences and was definitely more over than Cena at the same time.

Brotista held down smackdown because folks got tired of JBL running the show in the damn ground. It was a breath of fresh air seeing a guy that's not claiming he's a wrestling god :/.

Sephzilla

Which is weird since their big thing is "WWE doesn't have seasons, we run all year long."

Yeah, that makes absolutely no fucking sense. It seems like another stupid Vince ploy to get people to check in, because he thinks the stupid masses will see "Season Premiere" and think it's a good time to tune in since it will be a jumping in point.

WWE could really benefit from doing a proper "season/off-season" format though.

strobogo

Banned

They've been doing that for years now, especially with Smackdown. Mid 2000s for SD at least.

RP912

Banned

According to Cole...It's the longest running weekly episodic television show in history. Whatever the fuck that means.

Orton got his ass beat and then spit in Triple H's face, while Batista's turn was telegraphed as fuck. So yeah, way bigger pop. Also, no one remember's Rev. D-Von

It's unfortunate no one remembers Rev D-von :(. As far as tista's turn I agree they played it off well than orton getting shitted on by triple h.

Weird thing was they had bald, pre-stubble Orton as the guy they feature at the end in one of the ads I saw and he hasn't had that look in what, 2-3 years? Maybe they've been running that ad on USA forever and I just never noticed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No Raw for me either. I've got a lot of options. Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, grind in D3, new Payday 2 DLC achievements...the world is my oyster.

I'll probably do none of those and work on my dating game. Taking girlies out to din din is getting pricey.

Hasney

Nothing face Orton ever did has shit on Batista turning face. That shit was magical and fans wanted it real bad for like 3 months beforehand.

Orton as a face was ruined by his first face turn, which was just forced. He was pretty great when he was the biggest name on Smackdown and feuding with Christian.

Orton as a face was ruined by his first face turn, which was just forced. He was pretty great when he was the biggest name on Smackdown and feuding with Christian.

Remember when Randy took the title from Christian practically two days after his win and the IWC went NUTS?

Hasney

I'm at a crossroads of either watching raw or creating sims for the Sims 3/4.

Sims. After the last 2 Raws and now Jerry Springer, I'd run.

Don't think there's a lot on the NOC card I'm looking forward to right now. Will have to see what they end up doing with Seth.

Top Bottom