• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

Picked up the Legends of Mid-South Wrestling blu-ray - there's no real documentary, but WWE have done a great job with the picture quality. You get 5-10 minutes of interviews ahead of a match, with the likes of JR, Bill Watts, DiBiase, Hayes, Dusty, Hacksaw, Bullet Bob, etc, and these segments do a fine job keeping up the continuity. The matches themselves look great, to varying degrees. They've used some aggressive filtering to make these presentable on dvd & blu-ray, but while it's noticeable, these are entirely watchable and the best quality you're going to find. Only watched the first free matches, as I don't want to get ahead of myself in the Best of Mid-South/UWF compilation, but this seems like a perfect introduction to Mid-South for new fans and a perfect compliment to the larger best of set.

Oh nice. I know little to nothing about territory wrestling so this seems awesome.

These Bo pictures almost make me want Wrasslegaf to go the way of Popgaf.

If that ever happens, I will just open another thread dedicated strictly to the discussion of wrestling.

Christ almighty, we've reached a new planet
These Bo pictures almost make me want Wrasslegaf to go the way of Popgaf.
You might be saying that now, but wait until you see the sucidal, genocidal, homocidal Sab-BO!

Sabo.jpg

If that ever happens, I will just open another thread dedicated strictly to the discussion of Bo Dallas.
This man knows what's up.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Meltzer in the 90s @ObserverQuotes 16h

McMahon hyped Ross as the business' premier announcer, saying Christmas came early for the WWF because they've gotten Jim Ross.

and
Meltzer in the 90s @ObserverQuotes 10 Sep

UFC would like to bring in a big-name pro wrestler for a match and a name they'll probably attempt to contact is Scott Steiner. [10/95]

Are two of my favourites. Just slightly reworded and it would be just as relevant today coming from Cranky Vince.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So now we're going down this rabbit hole:

How would Scott Steiner, collegiate wrestler, have fared in 1995 with the emerging UFC?

How would Scott Steiner, collegiate wrestler, have fared in 1995 with the emerging UFC?

Probably not nearly as well as Sumie Sakai did!

He probably would've been paired with some 150 lb can (that's the era with no weight classes yet, right) and hurled him all over the building

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I have no idea about 1995 UFC, but I know I would have loved to see Scott Steiner enter Pancrase in 96/97 where I'm sure his crazy personality would have come out even faster and that Japanese crowd would have loved him for it.

He would have gotten both arms and legs broken eventually and torn bicep however without a doubt.

hard to say. Ken was around, Severn, Oleg, Ruas, Hoyce... he would probably win a couple of fights. this was a time before wrestlers knew how to defend subs.

honestly, a guy like William Regal or Bret Hart would've fared better. or any of the japanese shooters (Maeda, Funaki, etc).

i think he would have done fine. Shamrock was beating dudes with wrestling.

different style. Ken used catch, Steiner would be using amateur wrestling.

Ultimo Dragon and Chris Jericho had a match described as far and away the greatest match in the history of Winnipeg wrestling. [12/95]

Although nobody tried to mace Sabu, somebody did throw a brick at him. [3/95]

Vince McMahon is sponsoring Bob Holly's race car which probably explains the new push. [1/95]

There seems to be no reason for WCW's supposed top draw, Sting, to be wrestling Scott Norton. [5/93]

this is great

also this one

WWF did a try-out with a guy named Matt Hardy who did three great moves including a Scorpio splash, but was really green. [11/94]

Meltzer in the 90s ‏@ObserverQuotes 21 Jul
Crowds in Calgary have picked up greatly due to the return of 51-year-old Badnews Allen. [3/95]

If Badnews Allen were still alive I would definitely go see his 70 year old ass wrestle. What are you trying to say Dave?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
hard to say. Ken was around, Severn, Oleg, Ruas, Hoyce... he would probably win a couple of fights. this was a time before wrestlers knew how to defend subs.

honestly, a guy like William Regal or Bret Hart would've fared better. or any of the japanese shooters (Maeda, Funaki, etc).

Oh I dunno. Bret Hart? EhhhhhIdunno....

I guess I'd better sim some results in UFC for Dreamcast.

I do miss Oleg Taktarov, great guy. Watched him fight Dolph Lundgren in a boxing match for charity, win win.

Oh I dunno. Bret Hart? EhhhhhIdunno....

I guess I'd better sim some results in UFC for Dreamcast.

I do miss Oleg Taktarov, great guy. Watched him fight Dolph Lundgren in a boxing match for charity, win win.

Hart was a shooter, all the guys his dad trained were. i have no problem saying he would probably have as much sucess as Ken had in the early days.

WHAT

Is an angle coming? On 5/26 in LaSalle, ONT, Dan Severn takes on Rob Van Dam under UFC rules with David Beneteau as the referee. [5/95]

also a wizard

Dwayne Johnson, who is 6-5, 275, is a redshirt junior who will likely someday end up in pro wrestling. [10/93]

wow some things never change

There are too many titles in wrestling and almost all of them have zero meaning. [7/93]

@slightconfuse's post: WHAT?!??

Goddamnit Meltzer you're a psychic

Also RVD fighting Severn sounds like hilarity

I really should not have Twitter. My random silliness about indy wrestling being stupid both amuses and saddens me

last ones for now
Chris Jericho from Calgary debuted on 4/23 as Corazon de Leon and was said to have looked great, although he blew some spots early. [5/93]

F stiner. Randy orton face of the UFC now we are talking

Bob Orton Jr's son Randy won the Missouri 13-and-under age group state amateur wrestling championship. [5/93]

Kane is such a gimmick stealer.

Hogan beat Slaughter in 6:48 by throwing a fireball which missed by a mile but Adnan threw in the towel for Sarge anyway. [6/91]

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bo Dallas already looks straight out of No Mercy. I was going to make him and chronicle in this thread my adventures winning all the belts with him but I don't watch enough NXT to even come close to an accurate moveset with him.

Ondore

Bo Dallas already looks straight out of No Mercy. I was going to make him and chronicle in this thread my adventures winning all the belts with him but I don't watch enough NXT to even come close to an accurate moveset with him.

If you've got the Godfather's Ho unlocked, you're 95% of the way there.

They should totally rehash the Ministry of Darkness 'higher power' storyline with The Wyatt Family, but with Bo in Vince's role.

Bo: "It was me, WrassleGAF! It was me all along!"

WrassleGAF: "AW, SONNUVABITCH!!!"

somedevil

With Jim Ross "retiring" John Pollock posted this about him:

In 2010 there were talks between Ross and TNA to have Ross come in and serve as a legitimate general manager capacity in the front office but ultimately Ross decided to re-sign with the WWE at the time.

If he did go to TNA in that capacity do you think he would of helped turn around the company? The problem was Hogan was already there but he might have saved Desmond Wolfe from the burial that Hogan gave him when he showed up.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
With Jim Ross "retiring" John Pollock posted this about him:

If he did go to TNA in that capacity do you think he would of helped turn around the company? The problem was Hogan was already there but he might have saved Desmond Wolfe from the burial that Hogan gave him when he showed up.

As a legit GM? He could have kept TNA a little better off, but there's only so many holes a man can plug.

jred2k

I don't know if the spear in No Mercy could really do justice to how devastating Bo's is.

Top Bottom