• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

"PEOPLE GET STABBED HERE"

Sounds like a great way to advertise your wrestling event.

Shit, they just know what draws in Tullahoma, Tennessee, I guess. Also, I like that is says the show isn't suitable for children, when there's always a bunch of unsupervised kids at their shows. Who brings their children to watch deathmatch wrestling?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Carnage Cup 9 sounds like a lot of fun. One of those events where I really DON'T want to see it live as I may get blood on me.

Kaladin

You want Gifs? We've got gifs that scare the little children......

iQve5MIJFS4VB.gif

All the communities I actively browse get shut down it seems. :p

Lost HaloGAF for around 3 months now PopGAF for 3 days. If WrassleGAF or WindowsPhoneGAF ever get shut down, I'd probably shed a tear. :p

Anyways, guys, how easy is it to get into other Wrestling organizations if all you currently watch is WWE? You guys always make Japan and various other organization sound awesome, just not sure when and where to watch, and I'm wondering if New Japan has English subtitles, and how they compare, entertainment wise, to WWE.

Aiii

So not worth it
So I mailed Steve Austin, because he recently asked if he should do a second podcast for reviewing weekly WWE/TNA/etc. shows and if we wanted to see that we should mail him. But I suggested he do that with Jim Ross as his co-host.

Because seriously, I need that to happen. Give me JR and Stone Cold podcast, please!

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I watched Carnage Cup 2006 somewhat recently and it was fucking raw. That Barefoot Thumbtack Death Match with Mickie Knuckles and Ian Rotten and the Insane Lane vs. Ric Hayes match was almost too much for me haha.

Lost HaloGAF for around 3 months now PopGAF for 3 days. If WrassleGAF or WindowsPhoneGAF ever get shut down, I'd probably shed a tear. :p

Anyways, guys, how easy is it to get into other Wrestling organizations if all you currently watch is WWE? You guys always make Japan and various other organization sound awesome, just not sure when and where to watch, and I'm wondering if New Japan has English subtitles, and how they compare, entertainment wise, to WWE.
NJPW does not have subtitles. It needs it. DDT needs it.

Aiii

So not worth it
What happened to Matt Striker doing English Commentary for New Japan, was that just rumors?

-edit, ^well there we go.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Mauro Ranallo and Matt Striker are going to be doing english commentary on future NJPW iPPVs.

I heard that was just a joke that got reported as news. :/ Hope it isn't though.

So I mailed Steve Austin, because he recently asked if he should do a second podcast for reviewing weekly WWE/TNA/etc. shows and if we wanted to see that we should mail him. But I suggested he do that with Jim Ross as his co-host.

Because seriously, I need that to happen. Give me JR and Stone Cold podcast, please!

Great, now we can have 2 people shilling shitty things like stamps.com

There's a WindowsPhoneGAF? That has more than 1 person?

Start by watching Day 1 of the G1 Climax 2013.

Kaladin

I still find it hilarious that Alabama basically said fuck you to IWA-DS when they wrote their new laws earlier this year:

1. All promoters, wrestlers. referees, etc are now required to have a license. Licenses are $100 for promoters and $30 for the wrestlers, referees, etc. All licenses must be paid by July 15, 2013. Licenses expire on December 31st and must be renewed.

2. The Alabama Athletic Commission gets 5% of all gross ticket sales for each event.

3. Barricades must surround the ring and be 6' from the ring.

4. No hard sole shoes on wrestlers.

5. Wrestlers' ring attire must be neat and clean.

6. Foreign objects can only be used with prior approval of the Alabama Athletic Commission.

7. No intentional blood without prior approval from the Alabama Athletic Commission. For events where blood is approved, blood tests must be taken and a doctor is to be present at the event.

8. A licensed EMT is to be at all events.

also....just found out this is a thing, not sure if I want this.....but I'm drawn to it

IWA-DS: Most Violent Matches

Witness some of the sickest, bloodiest, most violent matches in IWA-DS history. See the match, that got us kicked out of the Wetumpka Armory a year before the infamous “shut down” Death Match tournament. See the match between Brandon Prophet/Diehard, that got the first DM tournament shit down. See Dysfunction get legit knocked out, and almost lose a thumb. Watch as Drake Younger almost loses his ear. The infamous “eye” incident between Ian Rotten and Freakshow. The one that got the world buzzing, the SAW match between John Rare, and Spidar Boodrow, and so much more.

1. No Rope, Barbed Wire: Ian Rotten vs. Mike Sweat
2. Brandon Prophet vs. Diehard (Very Graphic Footage)
3. Homewrecker Match: Dysfunction vs. Freakshow
4. Light Tube Madness: Whacks vs. Drake Younger vs. Viking (Infamous Ear Incident)
5. Razor Wire: Insane Lane vs. Ric Hayes (1st Ever Match)
6. Carnage Cup 2006 Finals
7. Piñata Death Match: Ian Rotten vs. Freakshow (Infamous Eye Incident)
8. Razor’s Edge: Prophet vs. Mike Levy
9. Hardcore Match: Freakshow vs. Spidar Boodrow
10. SAW Match: John Rare vs. Spidar Boodrow (Infamous Stabbing Incident)
11. Exorcist Death Match: John Rare vs. Neil Diamond Cutter
12. Carnage Cup 8 Finals (Hell Raiser)
13. Ultraviolent Boards & Cinder Blocks: Thumbtack Jack vs. Nick Gage

http://www.iwalxw.com/merchandise/

Aiii

So not worth it
Great, now we can have 2 people shilling shitty things like stamps.com

Really? I just tune out when they start selling stuff. I understand they need to make money and it's not too much imo. Once at the start and once in the middle. The interviews are shill-free.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Really? I just tune out when they start selling stuff. I understand they need to make money and it's not too much imo. Once at the start and once in the middle. The interviews are shill-free.

I do my best also, but I'll be damned, that podcast just plain sucks.

JR episodes were like pulling teeth. And I keep hearing Steve's chair squeak!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I find the ads on the SAS to be pretty funny. Better than colts for sure

onehourtees.com thankssssssssssssssssss~

I don't mind Colt's because he has music behind them, easy to ffwd and not miss things.

The Steve Austin Show is the worse show on content though. Colt's a better interviewer and isn't trying to bring back the word "cats"

Sunflower said:
I heard that was just a joke that got reported as news. :/ Hope it isn't though.

I think that was confirmed as false, Meltzer reported they'd be offering international commentary going forwards because the New Japan put up ordering information for the iPPVs in English, Spanish & Chinese, then some dirtsheetzzz newz site put out the Striker/Ranallo rumour.

New Japan doesn't have English subtitles or commentary currently, but hopefully it's something they'll adopt in the future. It can be confusing for someone trying to get into the product at first, but the lack of English isn't really detrimental to understanding what's going on as so much of the story is told through the action in the ring, driven by the wrestler's characters, which are easy enough to understand after a while.

Also, while it's easier than ever to get into non-WWE wrestling, the biggest obstacle is the fact that WWE put out so much weekly content for free. If you're getting into indie wrestling or Japanese wrestling, there's a bunch you can watch on youtube or dailymotion, but at some point you're going to have to take a chance and spend some money.

New Japan offer their iPPVs via over at http://www.ustream.tv/njpw - the September 29th show is the big PPV for this month and is available for $25.

I'd recommend checking out some previous New Japan shows online first. Here's a good one;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyGwpDkxS-4

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Honest to goodness the best way to get into NJPW is reading Bootaaay's preview for the G1. Absolutely wonderful, gets you up to speed on who matters, why, and gives you PICTURES of everyone (which helps!)

It's seriously a phenomenal blog post. Read it, even if you've seen the G1.

http://senorlariato.blogspot.com/2013/07/new-japan-23rd-g1-climax-tournament.html

We are fortunate to have a storied columnist such as SenorLARIATO here at legitshook.com

Kaladin

Frankman, those kinds of images are the kind of thing I do have to put my foot down on in this thread. That does make this place NSFW and frankly, it's not good for business.

I will bring a mod down here if those kind of fake censored images are posted frequently (hell, at all) in this thread.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Frankman, those kinds of images are the kind of thing I do have to put my foot down on in this thread. That does make this place NSFW and frankly, it's not good for business.

I will bring a mod down here if those kind of fake censored images are posted frequently (hell, at all) in this thread.

FYI this is one of my creations and it's on the first page when you image search "bo dallas"

so proud

R9I0wm6.jpg

Kaladin

So salty dude :(

Not salty at all. There is no point in fake nudity pictures like that other than the shock value of OMG HE'S NUDE, BUT HE"S NOT!

That kind of thing wears thin quickly and if PopGaf can get banned for being sexually explicit, you think we'll get banned for censored male nudity, fake or not?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The best thing about that Bo Dallas pic was I posted it in that weird Bo Dallas thread I made and people would stop and go "wait, wtf is happening here"

Rubbed my hands with glee. BO DALLAS LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

LakeEarth

I recently went to a house show, even though I haven't watched WWE in half a decade (got sick of the Cena show), and had a great time. I only knew 1-2 guys, but some of the guys I've only heard of were pretty great. Del Rio vs Ziggler was fantastic, I was shocked by the effort they put into it (others were obviously holding back). Makes me want to get back into the show, seems like things have stepped up as of late.

strobogo

Banned
The real issue with PopGaf is they get unbelievably creepy super quick. I don't even think their gifs/pictures are the real problems. It's the weird shit they say to accompany them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I recently went to a house show, even though I haven't watched WWE in half a decade (got sick of the Cena show), and had a great time. I only knew 1-2 guys, but some of the guys I've only heard of were pretty great. Del Rio vs Ziggler was fantastic, I was shocked by the effort they put into it (others were obviously holding back). Makes me want to get back into the show, seems like things have stepped up as of late.

Now's a good time, even if I don't watch it much at all!

Aiii

So not worth it
Darren Young, who has been heavily featured in the mainstream media after coming out as gay, will be a guest on the Ellen show this Friday. When asked what we can expect to see in his interview, Young answered: “A complete lack of sexual tension, and a whoooooole lot of embarrassingly bad dancing.”

YOU CAN'T STOP THE NEW STAR IN THE WWE!

tumblr_mi38k7NCa81qeqzk8o1_1280.jpg

I wouldn't put Tony over JR, but it is very, very close to me. Tony has actually been a highlight of this WCW stuff. Even in the most dreadful of shows, he kept up his excitement and enthusiasm. Even JR couldn't hide it when a show sucked. When I was younger, I didn't really like Tony at all, but as an adult I realize he was pretty great at his job and it is a shame he's been a punch line for some reason.

I can go to my grave knowing he got through to at least one more person other than myself.

He was the best to me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That Botista hairline, my god

Also re: Schiavone - a lot of people forget that yes he does love wrasslin, he did this before WCW after all and was delightful in NWA.

If Satoshi Kojima defeats Kazuchika Okada for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship at Destruction on September 29th, his TenKoji tag partner Hiroyoshi Tenzan will challenge him for the title at Wrestle Kingdom VIII on January 4th.

Even though I'm pretty certain this isn't happening, I like that New Japan leave us guessing towards the Tokyo Dome main event, even though Okada vs Naito is the current obvious choice. Naito could still lose his title contract between now and January, though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If Satoshi Kojima defeats Kazuchika Okada for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship at Destruction on September 29th, his TenKoji tag partner Hiroyoshi Tenzan will challenge him for the title at Wrestle Kingdom VIII on January 4th.

Even though I'm pretty certain this isn't happening, I like that New Japan leave us guessing towards the Tokyo Dome main event, even though Okada vs Naito is the current obvious choice. Naito could still lose his title contract between now and January, though.

Still sounds plausible, which is one of NJPW's strong points. They don't always give you an absolute 100% certainty on an outcome (as long as Muscle Orchestra isnt challenging for the titles)

strobogo

Banned
That Botista hairline, my god

Also re: Schiavone - a lot of people forget that yes he does love wrasslin, he did this before WCW after all and was delightful in NWA.

This is true. I liked his few big WWF shows and I particularly enjoyed him in 1991-1994 with Paul E./JR/Jesse.

Top Bottom