• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

jmdajr

Really? I just tune out when they start selling stuff. I understand they need to make money and it's not too much imo. Once at the start and once in the middle. The interviews are shill-free.

It's fine. Stone Cold just trying to make a couple of bucks. If people are not down with that I don't know what to say.

Should he just do it totally for free to to please annoyed fans? NO.

jmdajr

I wish Hunter would release a business book like his workout one. I could learn so much about what's best for business from him.

absolutely

in the meantime

Triple%20H%20Book.jpg

yes I own this

strobogo

Banned
WCW Monday Nitro 11/2/98

I'm hitting the final stretch of this project and I ain't even mad. The main event for tonight is Lex Luger vs Bret Hart.

Alex Wright vs Norman Smiley

I wonder if this is where Norman got his love of dance. This is continuing in the Alex Wright vs Europe series. But since there are only 3 other European wrestlers, that means a lot of rematches. I wish Norman had a chance to really go all out. This isn't the match for him, as Alex is pretty much dominating. He finally makes a come back with a stalling butterfly suplex. He does a little dancing. Only the cabbage patch, though. He goes up top only to get caught in a superplex. Alex wins with a hangman's neckbreaker. It wasn't a squash, but Alex definitely dominated.

Recap of Bret's attack on DDP last week, and then an ad for WCW/NWO Revenge. It was $70! The Nitro Girls then danced with the boxes that had to be extra big just for that. I don't remember N64 boxes being so massive. Still, this is the first mention of the game on TV. WWE would talk about their games for months and have it be a sponsor of a PPV even in the Attitude Era.

Kaz Hayashi vs Disco Inferno

Disco dodges all of Kaz's strikes and nails a lariatooo. Kaz shows his speed by being so fast they can't even do a spinning head scissors. Kaz tries it again and they almost messed it up twice in a row. Disco bumps to the floor and gets nailed with Kaz's twisting dive. In the ring, Disco hits a suplex and diving elbow. He misses the second one. Kaz hits a moonsault. Sonny Ono has come out. Kaz chases him on the floor, only to slide into the ring and get drilled with a piledriver. Disco wins.

TO THE MEAN GENE. Returning from a second injury, a man we haven't seen since the end of August, Booker T! First, he talks about Stevie Ray. He still has love for Stevie. He challenges the person who attacked him back in August...Scott Hall!

Scott Putski vs Fit Finlay

There is a nearly 90 year old fan in the front row with a sign saying he's almost 90 and still a fan. Another squash match, more or less.

TO THE BACK. Raven is whining when Kanyon walks up and tells him to stop being a little bitch and goes on to make fun of his depression and suicidal tendencies. Not only is that weird and offensive, but also terribly sad given how things would turn out for Kanyon.

A video on the Jericho/Goldberg "feud" airs.

The Cat vs Scott Armstrong

Cat calls people out and this is who comes out. Maybe this was revenge for Cat interrupting the Armstrongs' promo before Fall Brawl. Too bad Cat wins in about 10 seconds. He continues to attack after the match until Steve comes down. He initially fights back, but a short distraction from Sonny led to another kick and another win. All squashes so far.

Wrath vs Kendall Windham

No doubt another squash. Indeed, another squash. It's Thunder on Nitro.

TO THE MEAN GENE. Bret Hart hobbles down. He's going to try to get out of his match with Lex by saying he's got a severe groin pull. Doctors won't let him wrestle. Lex comes out. He doesn't believe that Bret is hurt at all. Bret repeatedly tells him to asks the doctors. Lex says he's had enough of Bret, fakes leaving, and then SWERVES the world by clotheslining Bret. He also clipped Gene.

iAkz6LOGkGMAQ.gif

Despite being disgusted, Tony has to present us Flair vs Hogan from Halloween Havoc 1994. The Horsemen came out during this. Gene was already in the ring, so it seemed like it was planned. Arn talks about wars, SWERVES, and games. Flair is sick of getting fined for saying what he wants. They're going to go party. Dean is going to stick around for his match with Raven and join the party later.

Scott Norton vs Van Hammer

Norton wears his IWGP Championship. I'd love it if he jobs to a jobber. Hammer hits a cobra clutch slam. Norton gets up and hits a powerbomb for yet another squash.

ibwDayYzmP7Zdv.gif

TO THE BACK. Trainer is taping Bret's ribs and lower back up. Dude hurt his ribs, back, and balls.

Saturn was in the ring talking during this apparently. He challenges someone. It was Eddie.

Eddie Guerrero vs Saturn

Eddie storms into the ring and gets belly to bellied right away. Reverse inverted facebuster. Eddie counters the DVD with a rana. Brainbustahh. Super gargoyle suplex. Saturn hits a guillotine leg drop. Falcon arrow. The LWO hits the ring. Konnan comes to the ring, not in Wolfpac gear. Konnan says what Eddie is doing is just like what Raven was doing with the Flock, then goes on to say this is his feud now. Lol, what the fuck. He just came out and literally took Saturn's spot. And Saturn went with it. Eddie says Konnan should go back to his ANGLO team. A-Rod randomly walks to the back with Konnan.

iTCVMDEZ0HIRd.gif

Recap of Steiner and Buff beating up JoJo.

Scott Steiner vs Kaos

Before the match, JoJo stopped Kaos' entrance. Scott went right after JoJo. Kaos didn't even try to stop him. Buff was the only one to hold him back. He still got to JoJo and shoved him hard before grabbing a mic, saying something was bullshit and WCW SUCKS before storming to the back. JoJo instead went to the announce booth to say what he had to say, but they cut to commercial instead. After they come back, they don't explain what JoJo was going to say.

Hypnosis vs Rey Mysterio Jr.

Rey has his new cool music. They do their normal match. The LWO came out, which allowed for Rey to get caught in a pretty weak superbomb. Hypnosis won.

iMaB8aHXVZ6W5.gif

TO THE MEAN GENE.
Chris Jericho is the guest. No security tonight. I think Tony called Jericho a chode. Jericho has nothing but respect for Goldberg. Jericho talks about his football career and how he was a better football player than Bill. "I respect you and wish you all the best in your future endeavors."

Raven vs Dean Malenko

WCW announcers and wrestlers straight up making fun of Raven for severe depression certainly wouldn't fly today. Raven actually wants Dean to hit him. He lets Dean hit him a few times before hitting a low blow and biting. Raven went for the DDT. Dean took them both to the floor. Lodi came out with some signs. Mongo came out and whipped him with a cat o' nine tails. Weird. Drop toe hold on the chair. Dean locks on a sleeper and dropped into a back suplex. Raven gets thrown into a chair wedged in the corner. Dean hits a series of suplexes. Evenflow is countered into a spinebuster and Cloverleaf. Kanyon came out. Dean knocked him off the apron, then threw Raven into him. Cloverleaf for the win. Benoit and Kanyon fought on the outside when Bret Hart came out and tried to reinjure Benoit's arm. Lex runs out. The Giant drags Bret out of the ring before anything can happen.

Kidman vs Chris Jericho

I don't know which title this is for, if either. They do some chain wrasslin until Jericho just chucks Kidman over the ropes. It gets back in the ring and Kidman gets serious. Off comes the tank top. Flapjack Norton from Jericho. He tries someting off the top. Kidman gets his feet up. Atomic drop. Tornado bulldog. BK Bomb. Victory roll is countered into the Liontamer, which is countered, which is also countered into a slingshot. German suplex from Jericho. YOU CAN'T POWERBOMB KIDMAN. Kidman hits a really sloppy SSP that knees Jericho in the head, but otherwise misses. Jericho no sold it. They do a series of roll ups. Jericho bails. Pescado from Kidman. The bell rings as Kidman hit a top rope cross body. Time limit draw.

ibptkqzu87aejw.gif

iRpQCMqPe9dd9.gif

JoJo and Kaos have joined the announce booth. JoJo finally gets to say what he was going to say: Buff has been fined $50K. Steiner has been fined $100K. Scott then flies up to the booth and runs everyone off while throwing shit. He then goes to the ring. He has a statement to make. WCW SUCKS. "Send Roddy Piper that script, skirt wearing queer on queer street and like it!" "WCW CAN KISS MY ASS." Buff says that Kaos is just caught between two brothers. Scott starts talking about people only getting air time for kissing ass. This idiot actually comes in the ring and of course gets attacked.

ibfrI6JvycvMYd.gif

Scott Hall vs Booker T.

Hall makes a great joke about Nash really being in a hole in the wall. Yuk yuk yuk. Book looks like he's put on some size while he was injured. And he's dominating Hall in the opening minutes until he gets caught in the fall away slam. He misses a drop kick. However, he's able to counter a sleeper with a jawbreaker. I think a fight broke out in the crowd. Ax kick! Hall pulls the ref in the way of the missile drop kick. A new ref comes out and throws the match out.

Lex Luger vs The Giant

Giant takes Bret's place. Lex backs Giant into the corner with punches. Giant comes back with a super kick. Then an elbow and chops. Then a bunch of Irish whips. This is...riveting. Giant tries to press slam Lex from the floor to the ring. Didn't really work out. After 1000 lariatoos, a body slam finally takes Giant down. Bret comes running out with a section of a gate and begins attacking Lex's legs. Goldberg runs in and spears Giant. Bret begs off and dodges his spear, which sent Goldberg into Lex. WE'RE OUTTA TIME.

iBnoGBnY6KF8g.gif

Felt like Thunder. I guess they're building Bret vs Goldberg, but we know that won't happen for a long time. Whoever wins at WW3 will get a shot at Goldberg. In theory, Bret will have a match either against DDP or Sting, and probably be in WW3. Nash was out selling from last week, Hogan and Warrior weren't on the show or even mentioned, Rick Steiner wasn't on the show to continue his thing with Scott that now seems more like just Scott being crazy.

What I'm really coming away with is they had zero plans for Goldberg after winning the title. It's really pretty amazing that they've had about 5 months to come up with something for him and they best they can do is "Run in and save guys from nWo beat downs, sometimes, if I'm at the show".

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I want to know who is in charge of Main Event besides just Dean Malenko. The only times I have ever enjoy a Kofi match beyond his usual Royal Rumble spot is on Main Event, and there has to be something to that.

TNA needs to end with Mike Tenay and Sting cleaning up a empty arena and shutting off all the lights.

A dark shadowy figure of a fan appears and they tell him the show is closed.

They leave.

Sorta like Cheers ending.
And then the camera pans back until it's showing the lot that they tape shows at. The camera zooms out even further and you find out they were inside a snowglobe the entire time.

Heel

Dynomite and Freight said that 5 dollar will be the number 2 promotion in the US soon and will be challenging McMahon. Jackson may be joining Freight Train soon when TNA goes under next week.

you know what you may be right. i want rampage to join freight trains stable.

Also, Cesaro/Santino wasn't close to great. It was enjoyable.

I think that depends on the metric you use. For a throwaway Raw match with under 10 minutes to work it was absolutely 'great'. They told a story, managed to draw in a crowd that was heckling similar match ups, gave us a huge memorable moment, and really made both guys look phenomenal.

In the context of what it was there isn't much that can compare and not all matches deserve to be rated against pay-per-view main events.

strobogo

Banned
I think that depends on the metric you use. For a throwaway Raw match with under 10 minutes to work it was absolutely 'great'. They told a story, managed to draw in a crowd that was heckling similar match ups, gave us a huge memorable moment, and really made both guys look phenomenal.

In the context of what it was there isn't much that can compare and not all matches deserve to be rated against pay-per-view main events.

You thought Santino looked phenomenal? Cesaro always looks great. Santino looked like Santino, which is a fun midcard comedy worker.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Cesaro got a crowd to switch from a chant out of boring to one out of love. I call that a great moment that hopefully people in the back noticed. I will have to agree though, it was just a very good match with Santino, but hardly something to remember in the long run unless my previous statement is true.

jred2k

The crowd was over the top for Santino there too. I couldn't believe how many cobra socks were being sold to grown ass people.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Santino's underrated, a man who can truly make me laugh with his physical comedy.

strobogo

Banned
Oh absolutely. He's one of my favorite comedy workers ever. I just think the "greatness" of that match is being overblown. Cesaro/Generico was great. Cesaro/Santino was a Raw match with a super impressive spot from Cesaro.

You thought Santino looked phenomenal? Cesaro always looks great. Santino looked like Santino, which is a fun midcard comedy worker.

Antonio Cesaro looked like Swiss Superman, a guy who clearly outclasses everyone else in the [midcard] level. Santino looked like a guy who was savvy enough to pull out a victory, but who is goofy to the point where it often costs him.

Again they aren't doing the Hart/Michaels Ironman match out there, but they weren't supposed to. They had a specific job for a specific spot on the card and did it leagues better than their peers on the same show.

Maybe "great" is the wrong word, but they did the absolute best with limited resources. Especially when you compare it to the wet farts delivered by Kofi/Axel and ADR/Truth

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So...who's the best comedy wrestler of all time? Who always, always makes you laugh in a good way?

Is it the Freight Trayyyyyne? Choo choo?

Is it Mixed Martial Archie?

So...who's the best comedy wrestler of all time? Who always, always makes you laugh in a good way?

Is it the Freight Trayyyyyne? Choo choo?

Is it Mixed Martial Archie?

Hmmm... I'm not as familiar with British wrestling where I know the true kings of comedy wrestling come from, but I would say the best around right now would be (in no specific order) Chuck Taylor, RD Evans/MMArchie/Marchie Archie/MAHS, Santino, Kikutaro

Oh and special mention to Norman Smiley as an all time great

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Norman Smiley riiiight before he turned into Screamin Norman Smiley was one of my faves. He wasn't strictly comedy though, guy was excellent and was excellent across the pond and in Mexico as Black Magic.

strobogo

Banned
WCW Thunder 11/5/98

The show opens with Tony congratulating Jesse Ventura on his gubernatorial victory. 9-11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB! Tony then spoils that Hogan is going to announce his candidacy for president on Nitro.

Kanyon vs Barry Horrowitz

This is exactly what you'd expect out of a Thunder opening match featuring Barry Horrowitz.

Scott Steiner and Buff come to the ring. How is Steiner not immediately suspended for attacking JoJo one week and then attempting to do it again the next all while spouting obscenities? Scott talks about all the rednecks and trash. Buff tries to solicit blowjobs. Scott is taking out the Wolfpac tonight by facing Lex Luger. Gross.

i7uxrLE3Jd5Un.gif

Alex Wright vs Raven

Alex says some hateful things in German. Raven is a prime example of the American people. Dirty, filthy, and a slob. He starts to talk about depression, which makes Raven hit a low blow. Alex bails and Raven goes back to sitting in the corner. Alex comes back and attacks. In theory, this angle would be building for Raven overcoming his depression and being a face. Instead, it just leads to people making fun of him. Lodi comes out to motivate Raven. Disco comes out and hits Lodi. Kanyon comes out and hits Disco. Kanyon and Alex get into it before Raven finally gets involved. Then he gives up and walks away.

TO THE SCHIAVONE. Jericho and Ralphus. Jericho says that he is the champion of anyone who watches TV and Goldberg now has to beat his streak.

Fit Finlay vs Booker T

Finlay takes it to Book early on with uppercuts and using the apron as a weapon. Book comes back with a flying forearm only to get hit with a lariatoo. Finlay roll. Book wins with a roll up out of the corner in a short match.

Fuck me, Konnan's music video. Oil of Olay all day everyday!

The Cat vs Glacier

Cat does his shit talking until Kaz hits the ring to run off Sonny Ono. Then his real opponent, GLACIER, comes out. Glacier turned on Ernest Miller towards the beginning of the year. He's wearing new gear now. When the lights come up, Kaz is down. I hope Ono kicked his ass. Glacier gets the mic and says he isn't there to fight, but he is alterting Cat that WCW will never give them a chance. He's going to watch Cat's back. Cat doesn't want the help. And Glacier already turned on him once tonight, so why would Cat trust him? Lol that Glacier got his full entrance with snow and everything just for that.

Norman Smiley vs Horace

The rest of the B-Team, plus Hall, is out with Whoreass. It's Whoreass' official nWo debut match. Horace wins with...a vertical suplex.

Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio Jr.

This could be great, but probably will be ended in 5 minutes due to run in. Eddie says that because Rey has turned down the LWO twice, that means that Rey has to join if he loses. Not sure how that works, but whatever. Rey wants to do it the hard way. Standard lucha stuff to start. Eddie gets thrown to the floor. He tries a handshake. Rey fell for it. Really? Come on. Eddie goes to work on the perpetually injured knee. Rey's knee is like DDP's ribs/kidneys. Eddie hits a pumphandle backbreaker. Tree of Joey Lawrence. Rey pulls up and Eddie goes cajones first into the ring post. Rey then hits a seated senton to the floor. Rey does a diving rana back in the ring, but injures his knee. Eddie takes the knee brace off and does some weird lucha submission. The LWO come out and beg for Rey to quit. The bell rings. Time limit draw. Therefore, Rey does not have to join the LWO.

ibi6Lwvu4xkjgL.gif

ibixYxxXAOaHFn.gif

Highlights of previous World War 3s.

Chris Jericho vs TAFKATAFKAPI WCW TV Championship

This was the worst feud Jericho had this year. A great idea to revisit it.

Disco Inferno vs Scott Hall

Disco decides to bail on this match, only to turn into The Giant. Giant tosses him back in the ring. Hall squashes him.

TO THE SCHIAVONE. He welcomes the Four Horsemen back to Virginia. Virginia is a lot like vagina. I wonder if anyone else has made that connection. Arn will throw a fish for it taking 6 men to beat Disco. Way to bury Disco. Flair again says he's going to take Bischoff's job.

i8ckLpLGnWcQ3.gif

Scott Steiner vs Lex Luger

Scott attacks Nick Patrick before the match. He puts Nick in the tree of woe and twists the other leg around the ropes. Lex comes out to stop it. Scott takes time off from the match to pound Nick's leg while on a stretcher. Buff has the blade of a hockey stick. Or maybe a boomerang. This ends up just being a fight since no ref will come out. Once Lex has Scott up in the Rack, Mickie Jay runs in. Buff hits him with the hockey stick blade. Mickie Jay is then put in the tree of woe. Rick Steiner hits the ring and Scott runs away.

Top Bottom