• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

No love for kikutaro and ebbesan

20090709-BretKikuhartvsShawnAnto-1.gif

I said Kikutaro :(

somedevil

Raw quarter hour breakdown for the 9/9 show for the 18-49 audience. Here are the top quarters for Raw:

Raw jumped 26 percent at the top of the second hour to a 2.01 rating for Paul Heyman's "exam" and C.M. Punk's interruption. There was one commercial at the end.

Raw increased 23 percent to a show-high 2.07 rating for Orton vs. Goldust, plus one mid-match commercial

Raw increased 22 percent to a 2.03 rating for Daniel Bryan vs. The Shield and one commercial

Over-Run: Raw finished with a 2.46 rating for the show-closing angle centered on the McMahons, Orton, Bryan, and Big Show leading into the PPV.

So far the big draws right now are retirement angles and Bryan and Punk. So far so good for Bryan and the corporate angle. Everything else did below a 2.0.

Also, the big fail of Raw:

Raw dropped off again to a show-low 1.59 rating for Dolph Ziggler vs. Bray Wyatt and two full commercials again. The two commercials are a factor, but this was not a good endorsement of Ziggler and the Wyatts act.

Poor Dolph :(

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dolph Ziggler is a lot like Triple H
except better
, but he doesn't have a McMahon he can fuck to the top.

somedevil

name one ratings getter in WWE right now.

Daniel Bryan and Punk. All of his segments since he took over from Cena have gained. He gained a 1,000,000 viewers for that shield gauntlet match. Punk has mostly gained since Summerslam except for his promo last week.

Orton has only gained for the two retirement matches. He had a match with Christian that lost viewers.

strobogo

Banned
I like Ziggler, but I feel like him getting cut wouldn't be bad for anyone. He's not going to be anything but a jobber in WWE, and I think he has interests outside of wrestling that he'd rather be doing. I think a break would do him well. He can take some time off, do stuff that he wants to do, maybe get some fame outside of wrestling, and then come back when the stink of jobber has had time to be washed off.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Daniel Bryan and Punk. All of his segments since he took over from Cena have gained. He gained a 1,000,000 viewers for that shield gauntlet match. Punk has mostly gained since Summerslam except for his promo last week.

Orton has only gained for the two retirement matches. He had a match with Christian that lost viewers.
I blame Christian.

McNei1y

I can't stand Santino but that big whirl the other night was incredible. I love Cesaro. That dude better get his push soon.

opposite of Dolph Ziggler.

Great Khali look and ability with like... Edge's charisma? (I have a hard time placing Ziggler on a 'charisma' scale, it's not like he's the worst dude ever but he is certainly around the mid-low end)

Someone who doesn't plummet ratings. Someone who can get a reaction on his own rather than because of the people he's with.

You can't fill up 3 hours of programming with the 5 guys that meet this criteria.

strobogo

Banned
Ziggler has a ton of physical charisma. He just isn't that good at promos. Not being good at promos doesn't always mean a lack of charisma.

Ziggler should have been the Heyman guy in the Punk feud, not Axel, who's as dull as ditch water in the ring. There's only so far Heyman can elevate a guy like that, but Dolph? Could've done wonders for him.

strobogo

Banned
Russo's WCW 2000 timeline should be subtitled "I'll be honest with you".

But then I lol'd when he randomly buries the Young Bucks, because fuck the Young Bucks. The question was about Ed Fererra doing evening gown stuff with Madusa and he went a solid 10 minutes on guys worrying about star ratings instead of characters.

Ziggler should have been the Heyman guy in the Punk feud, not Axel, who's as dull as ditch water in the ring. There's only so far Heyman can elevate a guy like that, but Dolph? Could've done wonders for him.

I still somehow think somebody else will be introduced into the Punk/Heyman feud before it's over. Now that Punk has PROMISED that he will get his hands on Paul Heyman at Night of Champions (which, honestly, is the only thing I could see reasonably selling the PPV at this point, since it looks kinda like a total space filler otherwise), I can see the WWE SWERVING us yet again and introducing a new threat. Not to mention, the Punk/Heyman stuff still gets some of the best ratings on the show, so they'll wanna milk it for all it's worth. (HIAC is a better PPV to pay off such a feud, anyway, since I could see them giving Punk the freedom to actually make such a match look brutal.) I'd prefer Ohno, since he appears to be in better shape, is an excellent worker in the ring, would bring the history (and WWE loves to make Punk's past, kayfabe and not, a part of his storylines, since it draws in the smarks) into the mix, and is old enough that he needs a BIG angle if he's going to make any kind of mark on the main roster, even as a midcarder, but as he appears to still be in the dog house, I don't see that happening, despite how fucking amazing it would be.

What I'm thinking - what I'm HOPING, really - is that Punk actually does start to beat the hell out of Paul Heyman, but somebody runs in (maybe even from the audience) and attacks Punk to save Heyman's skin, hoping to be represented by him and get the "Paul Heyman guy" rub. It'd be great if it were Cesaro, but I don't think there's really room for someone else in the main event scene at this point; regardless, I think The Real Americans is a good place to keep him in a holding pattern until they have something REALLY juicy for him. So who else could they feasibly introduce to keep this story alive?

gurudyne

So who else could they feasibly introduce to keep this story alive?

Big E might go over well though he should distance himself from the silent-enforcer role since he has a personality, RVD would make a certain level of sense (from a historical standpoint), SCSA would sell PPV buys like chocolate sex, Wade Barrett would...help Wade Barrett like none other. The Miz would be worse than Axel. What else is there?

...Brodus Clay/Sweet T/Santino heel turn?
...Adrian Neville?

Top Bottom