• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Gaming side is so intolerable today. Why is it a lot of psychotic PS4 fanboys want Mark Cerny or Yoshida to be their friends? Why? They're not even in the same tax bracket. Insane people.

Aiii

So not worth it
Gaming side is so intolerable today. Why is it a lot of psychotic PS4 fanboys want Mark Cerny or Yoshida to be their friends? Why? They're not even in the same tax bracket. Insane people.

Stop this insane witch hunt against the PS4, it's already winning the next generation of console wars, your fight is futile Sunny. Get on the Mark Cerny train, choo-choo!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ftfy .

Gaming side has turned into a cesspool. I've stopped going over there along time ago

Yos

Yosep seem like a chil guy to hang out with

You never will hang out with him. NEVER.

I'm sick of all the hardware talk. Fuck, I don't care. I'm just excited to play games on a new console this winter.

What surprises me most is that people don't see the track record on how little of a shit the hardware is in the big picture. It's going to boil down to SOME SHIT NOBODY EXPECTED that drives sales.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm sick of all the hardware talk. Fuck, I don't care. I'm just excited to play games on a new console this winter.

Agreed, it matters none.

Though I am sad we don't have the bits-war anymore. Wouldn't it be amazing if Sony was all like, the PS4 is 2048-bits! And then MS was like, the Xbox One is 1536-bits, but thanks to the POWER OF THE CLOUD we can expand that to 3072-bits!

And then everyone would rage and Nintendo would be, lol, 512-bits Wii U bitches, here's some Zelda and SMG3, buy our shit!

Kaladin

I'm looking forward to the next two months before I even get to the PS4. I'm gonna blast through the rest of Last of Us this weekend, blast through Diablo III all I want on PS3 the next few weeks though I imagine GTA V will take over that....and then in October we've got the swan song of the PS3: BEYOND: Two Souls. I fucking loved Heavy Rain and I love the concept of this new game so it will be a perfect ending to this generation.

strobogo

Banned
I finished Russo's time line. It was the same bullshit he's being saying for years. In one breath, he'll say WCW's roster sucked and couldn't act their way out of a bag. In the next breath, he'll say he saw so much in the younger guys that he just shit on.
He shits on guys who are just worried about work rate and putting on great matches (particularly the Young Bucks and Chris Daniels, who he takes time to shit on multiple times during the interview), but then praises the Malenkos/Benoits/Guerreros of wrestling.

Most of the events on the time line he didn't really have much to talk about since he wasn't even around for them. When something stupid was brought up (Madusa/Oklahoma, David Arquette), he'd fall back to "It was entertaining. If you liked it or hated it, it was entertaining and you would watch it" even though it was clear that WCW fans hated it and DIDN'T want to watch it.

What's super weird is that he's a big mark for 70s/early 80s WWF. You'd never guess that by his booking. He also claimed that he liked to "put the legends on a pedestal", speaking specifically of Hogan and Flair. Even before he went to WCW, he was offended at how they were booked with no consideration to not make them look old. He actually said that. He also claims to know that the Millionaires Club would be the faces of the feud. He never seemed to grasp that the WCW audience wasn't the same as the WWF audience and didn't want the same things. He thought, and still thinks, that wrestling fans are wrestling fans. The idea that some fans in different areas have a predilection for different styles is still lost on him.

Unrelated, Backlund vs Race is awesome. It's super slow, dominated by headlocks, but it is great. Backlund could work a fucking headlock. He looked like he was about to pop a guy's head off. He also did a bridge after Harley would try to stand up, which I don't think I've ever seen anyone do from a headlock position. Really enjoyed Bruno/Superstar as well. Backlund/Patera was pretty bleh. Patera wasn't good at all. Backlund was great. I don't know why he had the bad rap of being this boring dude with no charisma. Clearly not the case at all.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed, it matters none.

Though I am sad we don't have the bits-war anymore. Wouldn't it be amazing if Sony was all like, the PS4 is 2048-bits! And then MS was like, the Xbox One is 1536-bits, but thanks to the POWER OF THE CLOUD we can expand that to 3072-bits!

And then everyone would rage and Nintendo would be, lol, 512-bits Wii U bitches, here's some Zelda and SMG3, buy our shit!

We have that goddamn war, you're in the middle of it. It's stupid, and it's worse because people are talking about shit they don't understand.

I finished Russo's time line. It was the same bullshit he's being saying for years.

Well hell. Why bother? I didn't expect much from Russo, but sometimes you have a little hope.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm looking forward to the next two months before I even get to the PS4. I'm gonna blast through the rest of Last of Us this weekend, blast through Diablo III all I want on PS3 the next few weeks though I imagine GTA V will take over that....and then in October we've got the swan song of the PS3: BEYOND: Two Souls. I fucking loved Heavy Rain and I love the concept of this new game so it will be a perfect ending to this generation.

GTA V, Killzone: Mercenary and I still have some Lego games to finish. (I like to be casual sometimes, simple games with basic gameplay relax me sometimes), I'm not even that hyped for anything, I just want a new gadget and I'll wait til I get it.

Now, if Apple brings out an iPad Mini with Retina display, THEN I'll be all hyped and impatient. but gaming hasn't really done that to me in years. Though I did get excited for the Vita.
:(

Kaladin

I can say the same thing about all Vince Russo "shoots", they were entertaining. If you liked him or hated him, they were entertaining and you would watch it.

Aiii

So not worth it
We have that goddamn war, you're in the middle of it. It's stupid, and it's worse because people are talking about shit they don't understand.

I don't really come to gaming side, I probably have under a hundred post there. It's just not really worthwhile to discuss stuff there. OT is more my thing.

Well hell. Why bother? I didn't expect much from Russo, but sometimes you have a little hope.

It's Russo, it's bullshit, but at least it's always entertaining bullshit. I enjoyed his timeline, his story about how the JJ vs. Hogan title win and shoot promo was handled was fun (but like Hogan, who knows how much is real and how much is BS).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
LEGO games are fucking tough for genius-level people like myself. The simple solutions, I always discard them in my mind and think 'it wouldn't be THAT simple'.

Backlund was great. I don't know why he had the bad rap of being this boring dude with no charisma. Clearly not the case at all.

I never got this either, it's not like he was wrestling a dull style compared to what the rest of the WWF roster were doing at the time and the guy could work a fucking match so damn well, he had innate physical charisma that was obvious from the moment he stepped into the ring and that's why he was such a great face. Perhaps the perception of him being boring comes from his promos, which I remember as always being very clean cut and sportsman like.

*edit, wiki says fans were growing tired of his 'howdy doody' character towards the end of his title run. Also, Wrestling Observer readers voted him the most overrated wrestler in 1983, lol.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Gaming side is worth it for seeing things like this though. RE: moments in games ruined by others (doesn't contain spoilers)

When I first completed Sonic 2 on the Megadrive, my mum came in the room just as he was bailing out of the Death Egg and free-falling (before Tails catches him).

She goes "oh, is he dead?"

My poor child self was like .____________.

I told her NO and strictly made her watch the rest, but I kept thinking about it. What if Sonic had actually died? ... What if, man? I was almost in tears singing the school hymn in asembly the next day...

Edit:

Another one - when playing MGS3 for the first time, a bunch of dorm friends decided to see what I was so excited about. It was a veritable party in my room while I was going through the opening cutscenes and Virtuous Mission. Everyone was laughing and making fun of the cheesy script and Snake's "awkward animations". I remember chuckling along and being all "yeah... hehe... pretty dumb, right?"

But inside... inside I was a black sinking hole of nothigness.

strobogo

Banned

Considering I just did WCW 2000, I was hoping for maybe some kind of insights to that mess. I didn't really get any besides "I hated it so much and wanted out of my contract so bad that I was willing to leave and not even take the money". But then, while talking about why he was wrestling Booker T for the title in a cage with a concussion, he said it was because "I cared too much". So which is it? He hated it so much he'd do anything to get out of his contract AND cared too much? It's a lot of double speak and almost nothing new that you haven't heard 100 times before. Anyone who says "Let me be honest with you", "I'll be honest with you", and "I don't curse because I'm a Christian" repeatedly is instantly unbelievable to me.

If there was one thing that stood out to me as clear bullshit, it was when he claimed he had no idea Owen had died in the Kemper Arena when he had Kanyon take the bump off the cage until he was asked that question in 2013. That came up THE NIGHT IT HAPPENED. You're telling me that Russo, a guy who claimed to be very close to Owen and was also the guy who booked Owen to make the entrance that ended up costing him his life, didn't have any idea he was booking a PPV to end with a guy possibly being dead from a huge fall in the same building that Owen fell and died in a year earlier? Or at the very least, that no one had mentioned that to him once in 13 years?

Again unrelated, but Mean Gene yelling "JUDAS PRIEST" while Shieky Baby was whipping Sarge was hilarious.

Kaladin

If there was one thing that stood out to me as clear bullshit, it was when he claimed he had no idea Owen had died in the Kemper Arena when he had Kanyon take the bump off the cage until he was asked that question in 2013. That came up THE NIGHT IT HAPPENED. You're telling me that Russo, a guy who claimed to be very close to Owen and was also the guy who booked Owen to make the entrance that ended up costing him his life, didn't have any idea he was booking a PPV to end with a guy possibly being dead from a huge fall in the same building that Owen fell and died in a year earlier? Or at the very least, that no one had mentioned that to him once in 13 years?

Really?

Really....

Really?

Sigh.

Hasney

I didn't really get any besides "I hated it so much and wanted out of my contract so bad that I was willing to leave and not even take the money". But then, while talking about why he was wrestling Booker T for the title in a cage with a concussion, he said it was because "I cared too much".

I get that. I wanted out of my last job so badly, but while I was there and things were still going out with my name on them, even when I was working my notice, I really gave a shit and put out the best work I could. Not sure if he felt the same way or he's just caught in his regular web of lies though.

The rest is typical Russo BS for sure though.

Aiii

So not worth it
House show results from the Observer.

Before the match, A.J. announced she was refusing to defend the title. Fans cheered A.J. over Naomi. Naomi tried to get the fans to chant “Total Divas,” but instead they chanted “A.J.” When A.J. got a near fall with a shining wizard, in what was a set up spot, A.J. yelled at the ref how that was her finish.

Come on Naomi, know your crowd, they're not gonna chant for a show they hate on principle. Should've tried to start a chant about her butt.

strobogo

Banned
I never got this either, it's not like he was wrestling a dull style compared to what the rest of the WWF roster were doing at the time and the guy could work a fucking match so damn well, he had innate physical charisma that was obvious from the moment he stepped into the ring and that's why he was such a great face. Perhaps the perception of him being boring comes from his promos, which I remember as always being very clean cut and sportsman like.

*edit, wiki says fans were growing tired of his 'howdy doody' character towards the end of his title run. Also, Wrestling Observer readers voted him the most overrated wrestler in 1983, lol.

There are two guys who remind me a lot of Bob Backlund: Daniel Bryan and El Generico. Both in terms of earnest babyfaces, and even mannerisms. I don't know if they've ever talked about Backlund being an influence or not, but I see a lot of Backlund in those two.

Really?

Really....

Really?

Sigh.

Lol yep. Russo (and wrestlers in general) are inherently unbelievable, but it was made even worse when very early on Russo said that he had lied in other shoots. If he lied in other ones, why wouldn't he lie in this one?

Also, it's really interesting to see how much the WWF style changed from the late 70s/early 80s to Hogan. There was more action in the first 5 minutes of Hogan/Sheik than 35 minutes of Harley vs Backlund. The presentation changed quite a bit in a few years as well. Everything was neater and cleaner, the announcing changed from boxing style to more of an entertainment keep things moving style, brighter lights, music.

Kaladin

Also, it's really interesting to see how much the WWF style changed from the late 70s/early 80s to Hogan. There was more action in the first 5 minutes of Hogan/Sheik than 35 minutes of Harley vs Backlund. The presentation changed quite a bit in a few years as well. Everything was neater and cleaner, the announcing changed from boxing style to more of an entertainment keep things moving style, brighter lights, music.

vincemcmahon.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
So I have less than half an hour to go before my two-week vacation and everyone has been pissing me off today.

Absolute crown goes to a colleague forwarding a mail from a client about an issue the client themselves are causing, we've had debates about for month and where I've gone on record that it's fine what they're doing, but they don't have to expect any support from us. So when I tell the colleague that we're not going to give them support on the matter and give good reasoning why (at which point my managers calls me to congratulate me on a mail well written) she goes directly to the boss (coincidently, of course, her father because that's how we roll) who then calls me and orders me to do it anyway under the guise "mail billing the details and we'll send them an invoice for the work", which I fucking know won't happen and is just something to tell me so I do the work.

Might as well just hang a big sign outside the door "This company indulges in all your crap for infinity, because we're all idiots and you are smart".

GODDAMNIT I AM SO RILED UP RIGHT NOW. FUCK THIS COMPANY!

Just 25 more minutes.... gmpf.

Sorry, need to vent, carry on

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Staycation or are you sailing the seas for two weeks?

Aiii

So not worth it
Staying home. I intend to sit at home, binging Netflix and playing videogames and maybe occassionally petting my cat.

Also, I'm probably going to watch NoC and Raw's live with you guys.

And a trip to the zoo with my Mom, Goddaughter and nephew.

Kaladin

Staying home. I intend to sit at home, binging Netflix and playing videogames and maybe occassionally petting my cat.

Also, I'm probably going to watch NoC and Raw's live with you guys.

And a trip to the zoo with my Mom, Goddaughter and nephew.

Staycations are nice ideas and all, but just make sure you make your boss and co-workers think you're out of town....otherwise you might be bothered with work stuff that you have to to now because only you can do it and well, you're there dammit.

Aiii

So not worth it
Staycations are nice ideas and all, but just make sure you make your boss and co-workers think you're out of town....otherwise you might be bothered with work stuff that you have to to now because only you can do it and well, you're there dammit.

Oh, they'll find me wherever I am. Even in the middle of the night. I was in Rome for a week two years ago and they still called me.

Kaladin

Oh, they'll find me wherever I am. Even in the middle of the night. I was in Rome for a week two years ago and they still called me.

That's when you start taking week long vacations camping in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone signals. They'll have to send a carrier pigeon after you.

Aiii

So not worth it
That's when you start taking week long vacations camping in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone signals. They'll have to send a carrier pigeon after you.

The problem is NL is too small, there's reception everywhere. :D

I use the "Don't Disturb" function on my iPhone nowadays, that just blocks all calls except calls from my immediate family.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd rather punch myself in the balls than give up my control of others.

A couple of things really surprised me when I had WWE 24/7 a few years ago:

1. How good Tito Santana was. Most of those old WWF house shows were totally skippable, but Tito's matches were generally fantastic. I had never given him much thought and he's not a guy that's ever going to get a WWE DVD set but he was Really good.

2. How gritty, old-school and action-packed Hogan's title defenses were in the '84-'85 period. His early title defenses were exciting, huge heat and Hogan juiced ALL THE TIME. His audience and popularity wasn't all built on little kids and the WWF machine, you didn't see a ton of tykes in the crowd at a Philly house show in 1984. Hogan's later years in his run are laughed off as being formulaic, but there was a time when he could really go.

strobogo

Banned
HHH is killing it. It makes me think of Dusty's booking of Bo.

"Dem smarky markies don't like Bo Dallas, daddy. So what we gonna do is we gonna book him like John Cena, but with that ironing if you wheel, that the smarky markies like so much. Then they'll have to love him and hate him for loving him. We gonna do this in public. I said IN PUBLIC if you wheel."

strobogo

Banned
There are a ton of older guys that I thought were boring as a kid, but found them to be pretty awesome as an adult. A short list:

Tito Santana
Bob Backlund
Paul Orndorff
Bob Orton Jr.
Harley Race
Bobby Eaton
Bruno
Superstar Graham

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There are a ton of older guys that I thought were boring as a kid, but found them to be pretty awesome as an adult. A short list:

Tito Santana
Bob Backlund
Paul Orndorff
Bob Orton Jr.
Harley Race
Bobby Eaton
Bruno
Superstar Graham

I need to give Tito another look. Watch his whole El Matador run :p

I hated almost ALL of these guys when I was younger. I've seen some Orndorff lately that's flipped me, same with Eaton.

Going back to an earlier topic...

The best part of the Gaming section is obviously me.

Discuss.

*sits back*

Also Tito Santana now is basically the exact opposite of Randy The Ram, in that he just wrestles when he wants and is awesome.

Though it was hilarious to see him in Reading blatantly calling spots during a tag :p

Kaladin

I want to watch more of Ted Dibiase in Mid South. I saw just enough that I wanted to see more of him before he hit his prime with the Million Dollar Man.

Top Bottom