• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

tm24

Plus, Prince Devitt vs Hiroshi Tanahashi will now be a 'Lumberjack Deathmatch' - they've had one before in New Japan, it's pretty much just a lumberjack match, but the lumberjacks can use weapons. Tanahashi has said that to defeat Devitt he'll be wearing his face-paint again, becoming 'rude Tanahashi' (there has to be a better translation, lol), which I guess means he's super serious, or something;

oBEqAlC.jpg

You translated from Japanese to English instead of japanese to spanish to english! It's Rudo Tanahashi!

NXT's pretty good this week - fun 8-man tag main event and the show kicks off with Sami Zayn vs Curt Hawkins, which was real good, better than their first match. Sami's showing so much confidence at the moment, great to see him getting over with the NXT crowd. Also, Bo Dallas becomes more and more unbearable with every passing week.

You translated from Japanese to English instead of japanese to spanish to english! It's Rudo Tanahashi!

Ah, that makes sense!

Also, I read that someone from CMLL will be making their first Japanese excursion on the next tour - any idea who it could be?

G-Fex

Apparently Russo was in Backstage Assault, but I never played more than maybe 5 minutes of it because it was legit shoot one of the worst games I've ever played. Mayhem was pretty awful, too.

It was it really was.

Shame WCW didn't stay around for that cool looking PS2 game though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The best part about Mayhem and Backstage Assault is that WCW CHOSE to not continue with THQ and went with EA instead.

Now sure EA was a big deal even back then with Madden and various other sports games but THQ (with their deal with AKI) had sold millions of copies of World Tour and Revenge.

Mayhem is such garbage. It makes War Zone and Attitude look like WM2k and No Mercy by comparison. Hell even the ECW game is better.

tm24

Also, I read that someone from CMLL will be making their first Japanese excursion on the next tour - any idea who it could be?
No idea at all. Cubsfan apparently knows due to being told and while he hasnt spilled, he has made it sound like it could do this person lots of good.

strobogo

Banned
The best part about Mayhem and Backstage Assault is that WCW CHOSE to not continue with THQ and went with EA instead.

Now sure EA was a big deal even back then with Madden and various other sports games but THQ (with their deal with AKI) had sold millions of copies of World Tour and Revenge.

Mayhem is such garbage. It makes War Zone and Attitude look like WM2k and No Mercy by comparison. Hell even the ECW game is better.

Big words considering the ECW games (especially the second one) were even worse versions of Attitude.

Big words considering the ECW games (especially the second one) were even worse versions of Attitude.

ECW Anarchy Rulz was amazingly weird. It was full of tons of gimmick matches, even old Attitude Era ones that ECW never did as well as some weird ass shit no promotion has ever done.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Mayhem is unplayable.

The ECW games at least have the Warzone engine, which while clunky was serviceable. It felt like a slightly less rigid 3D version of how Fire Pro handled grappling. It's biggest problems were the stilted movements and no good counters for striking moves. It's actual system for handling grapples and the damage modifier for getting a good crowd reaction were quite novel actually.

Mayhem has only a bare handful of wrestlers, some with the wrong moves, is glitchy as fuck, has awful graphics and sounds terrible.

G-Fex

I'm watching the first movie and I want a wrestler to have Dolph Lundgren's gimmick as an insane army guy.

Ryback needs it.

Yes I do want Goldberg in a marvel movie or any superhero movie.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Are you really comparing the ECW games to Fire Pro? For real? Are you doing this?

Nah came out wrong, it's pretty late here. It's got the same deliberate sort of feel to it but instead of nice sprites its with janky 3D models.

The modeling also gets worse over time with the Acclaim quadrilogy. War Zone characters look right, Attitude slightly less so, and you can tell the budget wasn't there any more.

didn't WCW 1999 featured Van Damme and Chuck Norris at some point? shit was crazy. hell, it starts crazy with the Tazer on a Pole match.

the Jersey Triad, Sid, Goldberg punching limos... it was kind surreal.

strobogo

Banned
didn't WCW 1999 featured Van Damme and Chuck Norris at some point? shit was crazy. hell, it starts crazy with the Tazer on a Pole match.

the Jersey Triad, Sid, Goldberg punching limos... it was kind surreal.

I almost want to do 1999 just to document the crazy, but I'm also drunk and I actually don't want to put in the effort. As you can tell, I've completely run out of steam with the 1998 stuff and even the worst 1998 show is as good as the best 1999 show.

There WERE a few good things in 1999, like Spring Stampede 1999, all of Blitzkrieg, Sandman, and a really fun 6 man tag featuring Hogan, Nash, Goldberg, and Flair. Maybe Sting and someone else that I can't remember, but Hogan put in the most effort of pretty much any WCW match.

G-Fex

I'm watching The Amazing Spider-man.

Getting inspired by that luchadore poster is neat.

Good thing he didn't watch any Sin Cara matches.

DGault

Neo Member
I can't find any credible sources for WCW's profits. According to Bischoff they made around 50 million in 1998. Death of WCW doesn't give a figure but mentions that they pre sold every house show from late 1997 until the middle of 1999 within minutes of announcing, and that the buyrates and gates were especially good.

I believe part of the reason WCW looked like it lost more money than it did was due to the way Turner structured the business. If I remember correctly all of the PPV buys went on the books of another turner company and the majority of advertising money likewise. I think WCWs remit was always that they weren't there to make money but to simply bring in ratings for TNT.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
1999 WCW was one of my favorite periods, I really liked it. A lot. And it was bad!

Was listening to Review-A-Wai discussing one of Russo's books - and he mentioned Disco Inferno came to him with an idea, that they'd bring in a bunch of midgets, dress them as martians, and have them invade WCW. Then the camera would pan to the side on the announce team and Mike Tenay would be revealed as the leader of the martians and have antennae sticking out of his head.

I hate this idea, despite loving Disco, and yet...Mike Tenay would make a perfect martian.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
1999 WCW was one of my favorite periods, I really liked it. A lot. And it was bad!

Was listening to Review-A-Wai discussing one of Russo's books - and he mentioned Disco Inferno came to him with an idea, that they'd bring in a bunch of midgets, dress them as martians, and have them invade WCW. Then the camera would pan to the side on the announce team and Mike Tenay would be revealed as the leader of the martians and have antennae sticking out of his head.

I hate this idea, despite loving Disco, and yet...Mike Tenay would make a perfect martian.
That should be the final episode of Impact

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

WCW Thunder 12/10/98

Lol, Thunder. If lol had been a thing in 1998, that's what the show would have been named.

Bobby Duncum Jr. vs Chris Jericho

For real? They did it the Nitro before WW3, the Nitro after, last Nitro, and now Thunder. It's not like they have bad matches or anything, but 4 matches in the span of a few weeks is too much for any match up. Nothing of note happened besides Jericho doing submissions like he was the guy with a 5 inch height advantage. What the fuck, Jericho won with the exact same finish that was used on Nitro. Konnan came out and told the ref what happened, so the match is restarted. Why would anyone believe Konnan? He's a Cuban who pretends he's a Mexican. Konnan hit Jericho with the TV Championship, costing him the match. Such a WWE face.

Glacier vs Saturn

Another rematch from Nitro. Nothing will ever beat the kick to the dick gif from Saturn. That's probably going to be my number one gif of this project. Now Glacier is in even worse shape and coming off of an injury, and this match is really about The Cat. The same Cat who Glacier turned on earlier in the year, but is now a heavy for. Zero explanation or even reference for that one. Sonny Ono came out to distract Saturn. He kicked Saturn while he had the ROS of on, causing a DQ. Saturn then put Sonny in the ROS. Glacier tried to break it up and ended up elbow dropping Sonny.

Norman Smiley vs Kaz Hayashi

Kaz attacks Norman as the bell rings. Flapjack Norton from Norman. Smiley Slam! Kaz is definitely going to lose since not only have Sonny Ono and The Cat completely kicked the shit out of him multiple times, but Saturn took his feud from him. Kind of like how Konnan took Saturn's feud with Eddie/LWO, only for Saturn to get mad about it 3 weeks later, then for both guys to drop it completely. Norman dominates until Kaz does a drop toe hold into the corner, which Norman no sells seconds later. Crossface chickenwing for the win.

ibgK0BNIl81PLn.gif

Recap of Goldberg/Bam Bam/Nash from Nitro.

The Cat vs ???

Nothing happens. He shit talks and it goes to commercial. When we come back, we're on to the next match.

Rey Mysterio vs Juventud Guerrera

The winner will face Kidman at Starrcade. Juvi still slaps hands with fans. He's a heel. They trade some headlock takedowns. Juvi hits a rocker dropper. Head scissors from Rey. THUNDER WILL CONTINUE! Rey is in control as we come back. he does a weird Bronco Buster that Juvi was way out of position for. Juvi does a running powerbomb. The LWO B-Team comes out. Spoiler: They're all the B-Team. Rey lands the split legged moonsault. He almost wins with a second rope leg drop. Reverse suplex on the ropes from Juvi. Victory roll from Rey gets a 2 count. Pop up X-factor. Juvi Driver! Super Rana from Rey. The LWO get in the ring. The match is thrown out. Kidman runs out , dives on some dudes, and pulls Rey out of the ring.

imBhfcp8dSrzK.gif

Lodi vs Booker T.

Stevie came out because he thought this match was bullshit. Lodi put something in his glove. Stevie knocked him out with a slap jack. Lodi wins via DQ.

Kanyon vs Chris Benoit

Kanyon is sick of Raven's downward spiral, because it's dragging him down, too. WHAT ABOUT KANYON? I'm going to assume that Benoit, in addition to being a hardcore racist, was probably homophobic as well. Kanyon almost wins with a lucha styled roll up early on. Spinning fisherman suplex. Rolling Reich suplex is countered. The counter is also countered into a chop. Superplex from Benoit that he somehow managed to actually take a flat bump on. Benoit does the Bret corner bump right into a Russian leg sweep. Slingshot elbow. Benoit goes crazy with kicks and stomps and snot rockets. Kanyon comes back with a second rope fammeasser. Fireman carry Flapjack Norton, which Tony calls a "fall away...drop". Raven comes out with a bucket of paint. He hits Benoit with it as Kanyon was about to hit the Flatliner. Benoit wins by DQ. He puts Kanyon in the Iron Crossface after the match anyway. This was 3 DQ finishes in a row. Also, how random was a bucket of paint being the international object Raven came out with?

ibeZhpSUYIdT5G.gif

Konnan/Lex Luger vs Stevie Ray/Whoreass/Vincent

Nash was supposed to be in this match, but Thunder was too far below him. There wasn't even an explanation as to why Nash wasn't there. The main event was announced at the start of the show and then when the entrances started, Nash didn't come out. The announcers made mention of it, but by the time Lex and Konnan got to the ring, they dropped it and neither Wolfpac member brought up Nash's absence during their pre match promo. Virgil and Konnan in the main event. And Lex. And Stevie. God damn. If Nash had actually shown up, he would have been the best worker in the match. Stevie got his slapjack out. Scott Hall grabbed it and punched him RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE REF, who declined to call another DQ. Torture Rack on Stevie for the win. B-Team can't even win in a handicap match now.

Only one Thunder left! There were 7 matches on this show. I'm not even going to count Cat's match that never happened. Of those 7, only 1 had a clean finish. 4 were DQs and the remaining two had finishes with faces using outside interference to win. 1 out of 7. That's pretty shitty even by WCW standards.

almost forgot about this doozy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbgEh6EqC2w

you gotta do WCW 1999 when you recharge your batteries, stro.

getting squashed by Goldberg, Virgil being named Curly Bill... what a year.

I don't think I can make it through reliving the Savage/Nash feud.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This really is how I feel when I talk about my enjoyment of 1999 WCW, I hate to use a popular gif but I make these same faces.

UDVHYpH.gif

somedevil

Some Ratings Info from last weeks Raw. Basically the people watched 3 segments:

Curtis Axel vs. Kofi Kingston gained 43,000 viewers. Bray Wyatt vs. Dolph Ziggler lost 247,000 viewers. The C.M. Punk and Paul Heyman interview segment with the knee injury angle gained 863,000 viewers. I guess that means more Canadian health care promos. Natalya & Naomi & Brie Bella vs. Alicia Fox & Aksana & Layla along with Alberto Del Rio vs. R-Truth lost 699,000 viewers, which says something about a new audience from Total Divas adding to Raw viewership. The return of Santino Marella, against Antonio Cesaro, gained 123,000 viewers. The Miz vs. Damien Sandow lost 183,000 viewers. Randy Orton vs. Goldust gained 801,000 viewers which is a huge success for that part of the show. The match with Cody Rhodes also did a big gain. Rob Van Dam vs. Ryback lost 575,000 viewers, and the Daniel Bryan vs. Dean Ambrose main event gained 760,000 viewers.

For this weeks show here are the top 4 segments for the 18-49 crowd:

Q1: Raw opened with a 2.00 rating and averaged 1.261 million viewers for Daniel Bryan's brief celebration, Triple H stripping Bryan of the WWE Title, and set-up for the rest of the show.

Raw jumped to a 2.30 rating for an uninterrupted Dusty Rhodes-Stephanie McMahon segment also involving Big Show and The Shield

Raw jumped to a 2.32 rating for Bryan vs. Reigns and one mid-match commercial.

Over-Run: Raw jumped to a 2.65 final rating for the post-match activity involving babyfaces making the save for Daniel Bryan.

As for the Miz and Orton match I find this funny:

Raw increased to a 1.94 rating for the Randy Orton vs. The Miz match/ fight/scrap/brawl/attack. Included was one of the most-watched portions of the show from 9:51 to 9:54 p.m.

Basically everyone hates the Miz and all tuned in when Orton killed him at the end. lol

Ithil

I think the ratings jumps are consistent enough now that it's safe to say people are getting invested in Daniel Bryan.

somedevil

When did Raw ratings get so bad?

Last I checked they were always hovering around 3.0.

The ratings above are for the 18-49 viewers. Doesn't include the older or younger ones. Here are the ratings of 2013 compared to 2012 after Summerslam:

2012: 3.14, 3.13, 2.83, 2.89, 2.86

2013: 3.24, 3.07, 2.85, 2.91, 2.96

So far ratings this year when football started are basically up.

I believe that one reason WCW didn't make any money on paper is that, much like the Atlanta Braves back in the day, Turner didn't pay them anything for their TV rights, or if they did, they paid a very small amount. In that sense it was made to be a loss to put on the books.

My favorite thing about the "Powers That Be" was how many times they were called the "Powers TO Be" on the shows. As someone who thinks semantic mistakes are hilarious, it slayed me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The mystery CMLL guy on the upcoming New Japan iPPV is Mascara Dorada, so now the match is; Togi Makabe, Mascara Dorada, Tomoaki Honma & Captain New Japan vs BULLET CLUB (Karl Anderson, Rey Bucanero, Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga).

Plus, Prince Devitt vs Hiroshi Tanahashi will now be a 'Lumberjack Deathmatch' - they've had one before in New Japan, it's pretty much just a lumberjack match, but the lumberjacks can use weapons. Tanahashi has said that to defeat Devitt he'll be wearing his face-paint again, becoming 'rude Tanahashi' (there has to be a better translation, lol), which I guess means he's super serious, or something;

oBEqAlC.jpg

Missed this earlier. Very exciting stuff, can't wait, though I could do without Captain New Japan for...well, forever.

Tanahashi digging deep into his war chest!

Brera

Banned
Do people just tune in for like 20 minutes and know when a particular match is on?

I can understand millions of people turning off when Kofi Kingston comes on but how do they know when Punk is due on?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Do people just tune in for like 20 minutes and know when a particular match is on?

I can understand millions of people turning off when Kofi Kingston comes on but how do they know when Punk is due on?

They flick channels, they stay if they like it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also GTA threads with city-begging is always so sad. So many people convinced their shit-ass little hamlet would be a great setting for a game. Get real. You grew up on a farm without livestock or crops. Nobody cares about your shithole.

If there was a GTA: Belfast I would instruct the announcers of the game to never say the name of the city. (Belfast is not a hamlet, just using it as an example of a city where people think it's more than it really is)

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax

They have been trained to tune in at 8, 9,10 and 11 because that's when the important things happen

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

People change channels all the time.

I flip between MNF and Raw. Obviously there is a fair amount of people who do the same.

Top Bottom