• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

DMczaf

Meltzer must be boiling inside with these Punk ratings, so now all he has left are snarky "lol I guess more Canadian health care segments!" comments.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
It's TNA THURSDAY. Let's relive some classic TNA moments!
Sharmell vs. Jenna Morasca

Booker T's wife had a PPV match with a reality T.V. "star" and it went even worse then it sounds. Jenna wasn't signed by TNA to wrestle, she was signed because Trixie loves Survivor and it was just another doll she could add to her collection. Lo and behold, she was booked in a match with another non wrestler and released shortly after. This failed experiment of signing non-wrestlers to improve ratings will not stop here however.

DMczaf

It's TNA THURSDAY.

ib1KwEfM1Pg2eS.gif

Also GTA threads with city-begging is always so sad. So many people convinced their shit-ass little hamlet would be a great setting for a game. Get real. You grew up on a farm without livestock or crops. Nobody cares about your shithole.

If there was a GTA: Belfast I would instruct the announcers of the game to never say the name of the city. (Belfast is not a hamlet, just using it as an example of a city where people think it's more than it really is)

I see you're upgrading your hate level from 'hates all ten people in Atlus-GAF' to 'hates all of Europe'

MAKIN MOVES MAKIN MOVES MAKIN MILLION DOLLAR MOVES

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I see you're upgrading your hate level from 'hates all ten people in Atlus-GAF' to 'hates all of Europe'

MAKIN MOVES MAKIN MOVES MAKIN MILLION DOLLAR MOVES

I'm a big-city American guy in a quaint European hamlet world.

I didn't mean it how it sounds. I mean people saying "WELL I THINK A GTA IN MY TOWN WOULD BE RIGHT ACE GUVNA" usually don't have anything going for em.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A new GTA: London would be awesome and you know it.

"Niko! Would you like to watch a friendly with our club? We can get 'on the piss' and 'piss out of' cunts!"

FYI I liked GTA London a lot, but I think the series has moved on to this weird...thing. That might not fit anywhere else without taking a huge financial risk.

YOU KNOW HOW AMERICAN AUDIENCES WONT GET BEHIND A JAPANESE CHAMPION

ITS BECAUSE THEYRE AMERICAN

WARGH

Also I think the spectacle of insanity that the US offers is good for business, people like to look at see and wonder if it's REALLY like that.

KissVibes

Banned
The only city I really want to see in an open-world game like GTA or Saints Row is Washington D.C. and some surrounding areas. Mainly because I live here but it just seems strange that what, Fallout 3 is the only open-world game set here?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The only city I really want to see in an open-world game like GTA or Saints Row is Washington D.C. and some surrounding areas. Mainly because I live here but it just seems strange that what, Fallout 3 is the only open-world game set here?

And that's what everyone does.

DC is a crime capital, let's make some crooks.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I agree that it can get a bit much when people whine about GTA not being in their town (whining being complaining without actually doing anything), but I do understand the desire to see GTA actually explore the world more. The whole idea and defence of "the humour won't work if set anywhere else" or "cities set in locations foreign to them won't sell as well" from the developers is rather flimsy though. People liked Rio remember.

I rather they just say straight out "we don't want to make it anywhere other than pastiche of U.S. cities and cultures" and leave it at that. As much as I would love to see GTA return to London, try out Paris, make fun of Moscow, make great use of Monaco, try a vertical expanding with UAE with all those buildings rather than this quest for horizontal expansion, and so forth, I understand and respect artistic choice to stick with something specific.

Speaking of which, I think I might finally get around to playing Bully. Can I rename the character Ryback?

KissVibes

Banned
And that's what everyone does.

DC is a crime capital, let's make some crooks.

Even if I didn't live here, I think I'd still like to see it. All that lame political satire Rockstar loves getting into, you'd think they would take it right to the heart. Plus, they could rip off a bunch of shit from The Wire and Homicide. Would be pretty choice.

*Still, I'd love to drive to my neighborhood and see if any of the secret hangout spots are in.*

Anywhere new would be awesome, really. I never want to see GTA Japan though. No fucking thanks.

"Niko! Would you like to watch a friendly with our club? We can get 'on the piss' and 'piss out of' cunts!"

FYI I liked GTA London a lot, but I think the series has moved on to this weird...thing. That might not fit anywhere else without taking a huge financial risk.

YOU KNOW HOW AMERICAN AUDIENCES WONT GET BEHIND A JAPANESE CHAMPION

Shit, you guys liked Lock Stock & Snatch, right? I think America could get behind a GTA game set in London, given the Rockstar slickness and presentation. Maybe what we really need is a new Getaway game.

Also, GTA London set today would probably sound a lot like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrvHfBO0mKo

I'm a big-city American guy in a quaint European hamlet world.

I didn't mean it how it sounds. I mean people saying "WELL I THINK A GTA IN MY TOWN WOULD BE RIGHT ACE GUVNA" usually don't have anything going for em.

Lol, I know bud. It's just amusing. And I want to go back to training and make it to NXT for the sole purpose of suggesting my name be 'Ace Guvna'

Speaking of which, I think I might finally get around to playing Bully. Can I rename the character Ryback?

Sadly no, I think it's locked to Jimmy. Doesn't matter though. Just call him Jimmy The Ryback~!

Also whatever, GTA is shit compared to Sleeping Dogs anyway

jred2k

No matter how much city begging goes on in the GTA threads, nothing will be more cringe-worthy than watching people try and think up clever ways to say RIP Yamauchi. I get appreciating someone, but the shit I read in that thread made me wince.

DMczaf

No matter how much city begging goes on in the GTA threads, nothing will be more cringe-worthy than watching people try and think up clever ways to say RIP Yamauchi. I get appreciating someone, but the shit I read in that thread made me wince.

Do you think Nintendo will change their ways now that Yamauchi is dead?

I think Jericho won the greatest IC title one, over the fuckin' Honky Tonk Man, Randy Savage, and the Ult. Warrior. Good going, WWE universe.

That reminds me, has Jericho ever actually won a match with that "COME ON BABY" arrogant cover? I always tried to win with that in the old N64 games, but I can't remember that actually working IRL.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, you guys liked Lock Stock & Snatch, right? I think America could get behind a GTA game set in London, given the Rockstar slickness and presentation. Maybe what we really need is a new Getaway game.

Also, GTA London set today would probably sound a lot like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrvHfBO0mKo

Critically we liked em, but I don't think they did gangbusters at the box office. It's good but tough to identify - as a brief excursion into that culture it's fun, but 30 hours of it? I dunno. Getaway flopped real bad over here, and 2 did even worse.

I think the bottom line is that it's simply too risky. I understand the desire (and I would play it) no matter where it's set, really, but it'd drag the brand down and be a money sink.

Chav Theft Lorry

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I just remember people saying a Max Payne set in Rio would flop. That no one would touch a title set in the Holy Lands or the Republic of Venice. A crime game set in Hong Kong would be the last game anyone would ever want from a particular developer. That Batista green with envy over John Cena's acting career would never lead to anything green.

The idea that people won't play a huge franchise set in a well known location not in the States if given as much care as the previous recent big hit popular game from them is just silly to me. Games like The Getaway suffered because it was a new IP that wasn't offering anything new to most gamers during a rush of open world titles on PS2 and frankly it was an average game, it could have been a true crime story set in Los Angeles and done just as poorly. Some of those GTA side stories if released without the GTA branding wouldn't have ever sold well.

The fear of a main character people can't identify or become confused can be true though alas, even putting some people off with Niko in GTA IV. However a game can get over that, or just as easily have one most U.S. gamers can identify with like say Jack Swagger All American American P.I. as he lives as an ex-pat in London or something along those lines.

I think Jericho won the greatest IC title one, over the fuckin' Honky Tonk Man, Randy Savage, and the Ult. Warrior. Good going, WWE universe.

That reminds me, has Jericho ever actually won a match with that "COME ON BABY" arrogant cover? I always tried to win with that in the old N64 games, but I can't remember that actually working IRL.

Only during house shows and while fighting midgets/dwarfs/little people/mini stars/Jeff Jarret.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I just remember people saying a Max Payne set in Rio would flop. That no one would touch a title set in the Holy Lands or the Republic of Venice. A crime game set in Hong Kong would be the last game anyone would ever want from a particular developer. That Batista green with envy over John Cena's acting career would never lead to anything green.

The idea that people won't play a huge franchise set in a well known location not in the States if given as much care as the previous recent big hit popular game from them is just silly to me. Games like The Getaway suffered because it was a new IP that wasn't offering anything new to most gamers during a rush of open world titles on PS2 and frankly it was an average game, it could have been a true crime story set in Los Angeles and done just as poorly.

I was talking about it in the America thread but I think when you bring up GTA, you have a common thread with most of its players (those that are American mostly) that it feels believable to them, a believable extension of their real lives. Assassin's Creed in Venice is a huge departure but same with the abilities you have, which aren't in GTA. Every American for the most part (unless they actually ARE educated with firearms) thinks they can fire a gun no problem and that's as far as GTA gets with empowering you with the exception of flying helicopters. None of us believe we can climb shit in Tunisia and dive into hay bales. I think that link is a pretty significant one and one of the reasons why GTA does so well.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Why do you have a neogaf logo in your avatar?

If we had an official WrassleGAF logo I'd gladly replace it. In the 90s style of SummerSlam, or a Royal Rumble text style, I'd be all over advertising our special brand of sports entertainment.

I just remember people saying a Max Payne set in Rio would flop.

It did :'(

That no one would touch a title set in the Holy Lands or the Republic of Venice.

Or being a pirate! Assassin's Creed is basically a Deus Ex Machina to go do crazy shit in old times. Gold idea.

A crime game set in Hong Kong would be the last game anyone would ever want from a particular developer.

SLEEPY DAWGS

That Batista green with envy over John Cena's acting career would never lead to anything green.

Hey, if you saw Wrong Side of Town, you'd have thought the same too!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
SLEEPY DAWGS

underperformed in America due to an unfamiliar setting and a protagonist that was hard for people to identify with.

but goddamn I did love Wei Shen. He was so awesome. I loved it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
We really do need a WrassleGAF logo, an official one.

If you could create the WrassleGAF logo, what PPV logo would it be patterned after?

Make mine Wrestlemania.

ImAv7P5.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Meltzer posts by proxy, this is what we're missing thanks to Beefers! who I have forgiven 100%

f7Aprbb.png

strobogo

Banned
Who has has the weirder career path:

Sin Cara

or

Drew McIntyre

Sin Cara went from mega star in Mexico to being brought in as the successor to Rey Mysterio. However, he failed to learn English, had no one to work his style with him, couldn't work the American style, became super injury prone, and botched EVERYTHING, including his debut entrance. After getting injured weeks into his run, he has an evil version that replaces him for a while. The Nega-Cara is better in every way. He quickly becomes a jobber who only wins on Superstars or Main Event. A brief team with Rey changed his winning fortunes, but as soon as Rey got hurt again, he went back to full on jobber.

Drew came in and was hand picked and endorsed by Vince on camera, which has only happened a handful of times in the last 15 years. All the people Vince endorsed would be Superstars. He goes on a winning streak for months. Then a visa issue comes up and he has to miss a few weeks of TV. He never regains his momentum. Then he marries crazy, crazy gets crazy, crazy gets fired, and Drew is demoted to full jobber. He is then repackaged in a comedy heel group playing rhythm guitar to the king of the jobbers.

Unrelated, but I think I've found the first thing in a GTA game that made me think maybe Rockstar went a little far. I guess I'll put it in spoilers even then it has no story implications whatsoever and isn't spoiling anything about the game:

Trevor's rampage on US soldiers was pretty...questionable. It's one thing to blow cops and military dudes up when they're chasing you for killing hookers, but this was an entire side mission devoted to shooting a grenade launcher at waves of US soldiers who are screaming that you're an insurgent.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Who has has the weirder career path:

Sin Cara

or

Drew McIntyre

Sin Cara went from mega star in Mexico to being brought in as the successor to Rey Mysterio. However, he failed to learn English, had no one to work his style with him, couldn't work the American style, became super injury prone, and botched EVERYTHING, including his debut entrance. After getting injured weeks into his run, he has an evil version that replaces him for a while. The Nega-Cara is better in every way. He quickly becomes a jobber who only wins on Superstars or Main Event. A brief team with Rey changed his winning fortunes, but as soon as Rey got hurt again, he went back to full on jobber.

Drew came in and was hand picked and endorsed by Vince on camera, which has only happened a handful of times in the last 15 years. All the people Vince endorsed would be Superstars. He goes on a winning streak for months. Then a visa issue comes up and he has to miss a few weeks of TV. He never regains his momentum. Then he marries crazy, crazy gets crazy, crazy gets fired, and Drew is demoted to full jobber. He is then repackaged in a comedy heel group playing rhythm guitar to the king of the jobbers.

For weirdness, McIntyre. For sad faces at what happened, Sin Cara. Truly a tragic tale, it really is.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Super interested in this week's Observer, if anyone posts any excerpts I will thank you profusely.

underperformed in America due to an unfamiliar setting and a protagonist that was hard for people to identify with.

but goddamn I did love Wei Shen. He was so awesome. I loved it.

YOU UNDERPERFORMED IN AMERICA

Though I'm happy we're at least pretty likely to get a sequel. Dat developer

Del Rio debunked that one. Cara ain't SHIT now.

Del Rio is a monster~! :p

Also, I think Drew can be -easily- salvaged in one promo: 'I was goofing off for a bit, having fun. I'm not fucking around now. You're all dead' *throws Rey through Elimination Chamber*

Tadaaaaa

Top Bottom