• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

DMczaf

pqrEEIg.png

Slizeezyc

I'd go so far as to say the WWE isn't capable of creating something as badass, and just straight mean as that Stone Cold video these days. Like, even if you tasked them to manufacture something like that, they wouldn't be able to do it. It's amazing. Concise, gets the character over, gets the feud over, gets the PPV over, dogs, pipes, fences, black and white.

SO GOOD.

PISS

What about the other Brock video calling out Punk and the whole Bray Wyatt videos.

Other Brock video? Refresh my memory please.

The Wyatt videos were good, but they're not 96 Stone Cold Survivor Series good. Nowhere close, IMO anyway. That Stone Cold promo is like the epitome of everything that character, and that style of vignette is or ever will be. Pure, raw, uncut attitude. Intensity dripping from the screen without going over the top like Hogan or Warrior.

somedevil

Other Brock video? Refresh my memory please.

The Wyatt videos were good, but they're not 96 Stone Cold Survivor Series good. Nowhere close, IMO anyway. That Stone Cold promo is like the epitome of everything that character, and that style of vignette is or ever will be. Pure, raw, uncut attitude. Intensity dripping from the screen without going over the top like Hogan or Warrior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaZzbwmF0fk

strobogo

Banned
Hmmmmmmmmmmm I forgot about that. It's pretty good too but it's basically a UFC hype vid and I bet Paul Heyman had a hand in it so.......doesn't count.

Shifting goal posts? My super hot ex Japanese pro wrestling company girlfriend would say "Neko ni koban" or, "a coin to a cat". Ichiban HUSS.

gurudyne

http://i.minus.com/i0luZVgfKM7KV.gif/IMG]

Somebody probably spit in that, Jeircho[/QUOTE]

Dude knew the risks. He's just being a pro about it, [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StIT0oYWyIA"]on the same level of the guy who played Belloq from[I] Raiders of the Lost Ark[/I].[/URL]

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hogan's absolute best promo is from the same era, Wrestlemania V

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyx9z1qUPS4

He is coked out of his MIND.

Mean Gene: Hulk Hogan, the only thing I can say what a difference a year makes. A year ago at this time at Wrestlemania Four, you were at the side of The Macho Man when he became the undisputed World Wrestling Federation Champ. One year later, here in Atlantic City, you're going to be challenging this very same man for the world crown.

Hulk Hogan: Well, you know you're exactly right, Mean Gene. One year ago, brother, me and The Macho Man were as one. We were best of friends. We would do anything to win together, brother. And if you would've told me one year later right in the very same place that it started, in the Trump Plaza that we'd be locking horns, going head on head for the WWF Championship, I'd a called you a liar, Mean Gene! But you know something? I should've seen this thing coming, man. As the Mega Powers team was formed, brother, as the SummerSlams, as the Survivor Series went down, as the Mega Powers started growing together, the Mania was a little bit ahead of the Madness, man, but it really didn't matter. You were either in or you were either out, brother. You either believe or you didn't, man, and you were either ready or you weren't. The Macho Man made me feel that he believed in the three demandments of the prayers, the training, and the vitamins. He made me believe that he was in my corner, Mean Gene. And he also made me believe that he was ready to fight all odds. That's why I stuck with him, brother. That's why we stayed together so long.

Mean Gene: You know its that relationship with The Mega Powers deteriorated even further...Macho Man Randy Savage went so far as to attack your Hulkamaniacs.

Hulk Hogan: Oh, yeah! He did more than just attack the Hulkamaniacs, brother. He went so far as to put our manager, the lovely Elizabeth, right between us, man. It was him that eaten alive by the jealousy. It was him that was eaten alive by the lust, brother. It was a simple fact that The Macho Man couldn't be the man that all my Hulkamanics wanted him to be, brother. He couldn't handle the load. He couldn't handle the pressure, but what really tore us apart was the way he was so jealous of Hulkamania. The way he put Elizabeth between us. The way he manipulated her. The way he twisted this whole beautiful thing around, but I found out one thing, Macho Man. You're not a believer in the demandments, brother. Brother, you're a cheapshot artist. You take whatever you can get as quick as you want. You were never in my corner. You were always on the outside waiting for me to make the first move, but just like Donald Trump, Macho Man, I hope you're ready, brother, because Donald Trump has questions in his own mind. He sent a whole team of seismologists out here to check the foundation of the Trump Towers because when the Mega Powers explode off the launching pad, brother. As we erupt over the whole Atlantic City, he was worried about the foundation. He was worried that the thousands of people in the arenas might become unseated and swallowed by The Earth. Donald Trump, don't worry about my Hulkamaniacs, they're survivors. They're ready, but you, Macho Man, I don't care where you stand. I don't care what you believe in. All I'm want from you is your best. I want you to be ready. I want the Macho Madness to be at his peak because when Hulkamania rules, when Hulkamania lives forever, when Hulkamania puts you down on your knees, I want the whole world to realize that I beat you at your best and at the end of Wrestlemania Five, I will be the World Wrestling Federation champion! And whatcha gonna do Macho Man when the whole world full of Hulkamaniacs destroy you?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
'01 Austin = Best Stone Cold

or at least the best year for him wrestling

Best year for Austin wrestling before the neck injury

what. Ringmaster makes bionic Austin look like a decrepit old man by comparison
ringmaster4vj4j.gif

austinsaviobpxd0.gif

And for people talking about 'best era of wrestling style' it's 96-97. Always was.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well he would have been the biggest draw of all time had he stayed healthy and active.

He's my favorite speaker of all time, but there's all sorts of opinions on that.

There's at least two different times I'd consider him the best American wrestler in the ring.

Austin went back into wrestling mode in 2001, which is ultimately what sped up his retirement. He was just a brawler from 1998-2000, but decided to try actually wrasslin again after the neck surgery. Didn't work, although his matches with Kurt Angle were fucking incredible.

Anth0ny

'01 Austin = Best Stone Cold

or at least the best year for him wrestling

Best Stone Cold is very high praise, not sure about that.

But 01 heel Austin was fucking incredible, I don't care what anyone says. Shit on the Invasion all you want, but heel Austin was living proof that if you're good enough, you can make that crowd DESPISE you, no matter how much they loved you in the past.

Dude was just a complete prick in every way. Orton should take some fucking notes right now. Start looking and acting like a heel already.

Austin went back into wrestling mode in 2001, which is ultimately what sped up his retirement. He was just a brawler from 1998-2000, but decided to try actually wrasslin again after the neck surgery. Didn't work, although his matches with Kurt Angle were fucking incredible.

The amount of german suplexes he took from Benoit and Angle makes me cringe, honestly.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Well he would have been the biggest draw of all time had he stayed healthy and active.

He's my favorite speaker of all time, but there's all sorts of opinions on that.

There's at least two different times I'd consider him the best American wrestler in the ring.
Austin is the biggest draw of all time. Maybe not in terms of pure gate (but I'll even argue that. The amount of sell outs the WWE had back then was ridiculous). In terms of ratings and merchandise, he beats everyone. He may not have been at the very top for long due to his health, but Rock's time was even less considering how quickly he left for hollywood.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Best Stone Cold is very high praise, not sure about that.

But 01 heel Austin was fucking incredible, I don't care what anyone says. Shit on the Invasion all you want, but heel Austin was living proof that if you're good enough, you can make that crowd DESPISE you, no matter how much they loved you in the past.

Dude was just a complete prick in every way. Orton should take some fucking notes right now. Start looking and acting like a heel already.
The problem with Orton, and I've been saying it since Legacy. The problem with Orton as a heel now is that he's too busy trying to look cool. He wants to be the 'cool' heel. Someone is badass because it's natural. Orton is looking at badasses and going 'yeah! yeah that's me.' Even Legend Killer Orton was a little piece of shit instead of COLD AND COOL. Shield and Mr. H's are the only thing right now that reminds you that Orton is a heel.

I wish I could find a gif of when Austin did this on the entrance way after he defended the title.
homer.gif

He just had so many good matches in '01. I'm talking ***** shit with HHH at NWO, or that Benoit match on Smackdown with the ten German Suplex on dat neck and that godlike tag match where HHH where he pulled a Kevin Nash and tore his quad, some fantastic main events at Wrestlemania and Summerslam against the Rock and Kurt Angle, respectively. And yeah, I know Heel Austin sounds like the wackiest thing since Heel Hogan, but goddamn I thought he made it work. Hell, I even love Paranoid Weird Coward Austin

ibnjyTekcdO8fo.gif

"Heel Austin" doesn't sound wacky at all. He did his best work as a heel or a tweener.

Unfortunately, both Vince and Austin blame 2001 heel SCSA, partially, for the downfall of the attitude era, and it's why we've been stuck with John Cena: Vanilla Baptist Preacher Marine for 8 years. Stone Cold was too good at making people hate him.

I just don't think he should have went heel at WM17 in fuckin' Texas of all places. Austin could have came down there dressed like a Nazi, goose stepped around the ring, and cut a promo about how huge of a democrat he is, and them mothafuckas would have still cheered him.

The Austin/Angle dynamic was incredible because they could both be seriously goofy assholes that make you laugh your ass of and then go out and have 5-star matches. It was nuts.

Top Bottom